Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Necc0 posted:

Someone post that insane coordinated outer take on train that a pro team (I think fnatic?) did last year. Train owns at higher levels because of poo poo like that.

Play at that level so rare it's pretty much irrelevant, and even they don't want to play it.

Just make Mirage pretty please :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Stumbletron posted:

The only difference is that the box is now unchecked by default (and it's on the second page)?

It looked selectable but I didn't test it because why on earth would I choose to play Train?

I can't find any information about this one way or another and I can't test it until after work, but based on the mouseover descriptions it sounds like the 'reserves' maps don't count towards your competitive play statistics (and possibly your MM rank as well) if you play them. But yes you can still queue for them if you want.

(and yes I know the 'stats' thing is referring to the operation badge tracking stuff)

edit: actually now that I think about it not counting cs_ maps towards your MM rank would actually be a good change if that's the case

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Apogee15 posted:

IMO train is way less fun to pug than nuke. It requires a lot more teamwork or you get killed from behind or the side.

Nuke is one of the few maps I almost always leave checked when MMing. I never check train.

Split outside, throw a smoke under T-Z train to block bomb carrier in mid from Ivy/2 train and a smoke from T spawn to block Ivy/1 train, plant behind the semi-smoked yellow barrel, defend. CTs play so passive on train so those smokes generally cut off 4/5 of the team.

I hate going inside on pugs because if one person dies at upper/lower ramp it frightens the entire team and everyone freezes or backs off.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Any map owns at higher levels once it's been played as much as train. You'd see more interesting strategies on mist than on train if you gave pros 10 years to work on it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
At least GO train's not the 13-2 2-13 snoozefest it used to be in 1.6

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mcvey posted:

Split outside, throw a smoke under T-Z train to block bomb carrier in mid from Ivy/2 train and a smoke from T spawn to block Ivy/1 train, plant behind the semi-smoked yellow barrel, defend. CTs play so passive on train so those smokes generally cut off 4/5 of the team.

I hate going inside on pugs because if one person dies at upper/lower ramp it frightens the entire team and everyone freezes or backs off.

I feel an effort post brewing on maintaining pressure / forward momentum against single defenders.

In a nutshell for new players: If someone in front of you gets picked or fired upon that should make you want to push forwards even faster, not back off. The defender is both occupied and exhausted a significant portion of their magazine and you need to be pushing forwards to take advantage of that. Hanging back will only allow the defender to reload/regain composure while the rest of the team gets a better read on your position and tightens the noose.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Some specific "go you idiot/nono what are you doing" examples of this would be cool. I've been trying to trade whenever a teammate dies near/with me but my spotty aim can make it a bit of an uphill battle.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love train.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stumbletron posted:

Some specific "go you idiot/nono what are you doing" examples of this would be cool. I've been trying to trade whenever a teammate dies near/with me but my spotty aim can make it a bit of an uphill battle.

It's really one of those things that only comes with experience as the difference between those two scenarios can be fractions of a second. Essentially you need to be able to visualize the fight you can't see and how it will play out in your head while still controlling yourself. That's something that only comes with a lot of hours played under your belt.

So say you're at lower ramp at inner train. You hear gunshots and see that your teammate at upper is engaging. In a split second you need to know where the enemy is, where your teammates are, what their future actions will most likely be based on all the different ways their gunfight will play out, and where the best place for YOU to be as a result of those scenarios. In most cases rushing down ramp and into site, paying attention to Z entrance of course, is your best play:

-Your teammate is killed by the time you hit lower ramp: you can continue to put pressure on the defender who is now much lower on ammo and in all likelihood on the move. Ideally your teammates will be covering other avenues for his escape.
-Your teammate isn't killed and is still engaging: you can shoot the defender in the side of the head as it's now impossible for him to fire at both of you at once
-Your teammate killed the defender: you're now in the site that much earlier and pushing forwards to set up a perimeter

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I still fully intend on doing Sunday demo reviews on Twitch for new players to watch. I'm in the middle of a move and haven't gotten my rig set back up yet. I even have my bamboo pad ready so I can John Madden it up.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
If it isn't at 4am or something (Australia :/ ) I'll be there

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'll trim & publish them after the stream goes down as well. No worries

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Stumbletron posted:

Can you see a teammate shooting at dudes/being shot at by dudes: push out and also shoot at dudes with your teammate
Did you just watch a teammate peek a corner and immediately get awped: don't also peek the corner and immediately get awped

edit: that first one should also include: did your teammate push through smoke and then die: don't loving follow him through the smoke you idiot

astr0man fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 2, 2014

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Today I tried to do the first and got awped through my teammate :v:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stumbletron posted:

Today I tried to do the first and got awped through my teammate :v:

Thaaaat's CS! :csgo:

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

The Joe Man posted:

Crates are dropping all over the place. This isn't as much of a goldrush as the other ones.

I sold one for $4 yesterday because when I went to sell it there wasn't even a helpful graph. It sold in 30 minutes :stare:

Looking forward to making up the rest of the $6 I spent on the Operation badge tonight.

New skins look cool, and I'm a big fan of this update in general. Relaxing flamenco music in T spawn Inferno, now just bring back Pavarotti in Italy :argh:

e: the Business Class skin might get me to use the USP-S again :swoon:

Barehanded Brother fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 2, 2014

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Just got back from :canada: day. Wallbanging's back? Shotgun buff? :getin:

You're the best valve.

p.s. dust2 B site is closed for cts. Please email an application form to Daeno@Tsidedust2.ca to apply for entry past double doors.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Can anyone comment on how the wallbang tracers look?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
yeah all those things definitely make for a bad map(u r bad)

perhaps its u... ur the autist who thinks anybody disagreeing with the decision to move train off of MM disagrees because of some bullshit 1.6 sanctity and not just because uh its a fun map.

also, i had some fun playing a game on insertion last night, will play again.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 2, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

its a fun map.

I would love to hear as to why Train is a good map

quote:

also, i had some fun playing a game on insertion last night, will play again.

This map is so loving crazy, feel like I'm playing Day Z. Two thumbs up. Although it is t sided as all hell.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 2, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

down with slavery posted:

I find Train to be an excellent map because it apparently severely annoys you that people dare like it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

because coordinated t aggression is rewarded handsomely and it feels good as hell to have a good site take on that map. almost as good as it feels to have a flawless A take on mirage.

this prob doesn't meet up with most goons definition of a 'fun map' but thats why i enjoy playing it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

because coordinated t aggression is rewarded handsomely and it feels good as hell to have a good site take on that map. almost as good as it feels to have a flawless A take on mirage.

I think a better way to put it would be that it "requires" coordinated t aggression which is why it kind of sucks as a mm map. I'm sure it will still be around in the "pros", on esea, etc. There's no reason to mourn it leaving MM.

Coleman posted:

I find Train to be an excellent map because it apparently severely annoys you that people dare like it.

It's not annoying really, seeing as Valve kind of agrees with me on this one it's more vindicating than anything else.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

I think a better way to put it would be that it "requires" coordinated t aggression which is why it kind of sucks as a mm map. I'm sure it will still be around in the "pros", on esea, etc. There's no reason to mourn it leaving MM.

It's not annoying really, seeing as Valve kind of agrees with me on this one it's more vindicating than anything else.
It's not vindicating anything, I really doubt Valve "agrees" with it, I would say that it's not played as much as the other maps, and they simply went with percentages. So if anything, it's the CS:GO players en masse that agree with you. Congrats, pengy, it's what you've always wanted, you're just like all the other CS:GO players.

Personally I think Train is a garbage map for the pug level of play, but it's still a dumb reason to remove it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Coleman posted:

Personally I think Train is a garbage map for the pug level of play, but it's still a dumb reason to remove it.

If it's garbage for pugs, why is removing it (from ranked play, you can still mm on train if you really really want to) from the explicit pug game mode a bad idea?

Coleman posted:

I really doubt Valve "agrees" with it, I would say that it's not played as much as the other maps, and they simply went with percentages.

Yeah I bet that's how they make decisions at Valve.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 2, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

If it's garbage for pugs, why is removing it (from ranked play, you can still mm on train if you really really want to) from the explicit pug game mode a bad idea?
Because it's a pretty simple check box to remove it. If, say, queuing for competitive were done like Casual or Deathmatch, where you can only select a "group" of default maps (for casual it's Demoltiion or Hostage, etc), then sure, move Train to a reserve group that you have to specifically search for. But when you can pick and choose which maps to search for, why is removing it a required action? Don't pick it if you don't wanna play it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Necc0 posted:

Someone post that insane coordinated outer take on train that a pro team (I think fnatic?) did last year. Train owns at higher levels because of poo poo like that.

Anyone?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Coleman posted:

But when you can pick and choose which maps to search for, why is removing it a required action? Don't pick it if you don't wanna play it.

They are actively trying to funnel MM players to a limited set of maps to improve the MM times overall. Whether or not you agree with train being on that list is one thing but it's a good move to unrank the unplayed maps where it was becoming commonplace to queue there to attempt to boost ranks. Time will tell, but so far if you look at the estimate times for the reserve maps it looks like competitive Office is missed a lot more than competitive train :iceburn:

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
New train is awful. It's cramped, awkward to move around in, and the sightlines are, at the best of times, downright confusing.

Atleast with nuke you can move around a bit and not have to memorize the 5000 corners/angles you can be shot from, and not have to worry about catching your hip on part of a ladder while strafing.

Like why does A site even need a 2nd "heaven" spot? Just to make it even more impossible to defuse a bomb as CT?

Sure it has its moments with a decent team but most of the time it's an awful slog.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Train is still better than ~official competitive maps~ de_cbble and de_overpass.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

They are actively trying to funnel MM players to a limited set of maps to improve the MM times overall. Whether or not you agree with train being on that list is one thing but it's a good move to unrank the unplayed maps where it was becoming commonplace to queue there to attempt to boost ranks. Time will tell, but so far if you look at the estimate times for the reserve maps it looks like competitive Office is missed a lot more than competitive train :iceburn:
The argument about using those maps to boost ranks is irrelevant;

quote:

Competitive matchmaking will no longer consider matches with a very high skill group difference regardless of search time.

They specifically fixed that "function", so it doesn't matter what maps are in there. The only people that would play Train are ones that want to play Train.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

They had it coordinated to the point that there was a flashbang going off every few seconds and they'd leapfrog past each other at each flash. It was nuts. Please someone has to know what I'm tolkein about

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

mcvey posted:

I can't think of a more unfun side in a PUG than T nuke. If you can coordinate an upper/ramp/out rush with some good smokes and flashes it's ok but still my least favorite. Maybe it will be better now with increased wallbang?

There are some fun things you can do on it(squeaky->vent, abuse secret, silo/mini jumps) but if the CTs are on point, good luck.

I think wallbanging strength has been nerfed overall and mojo already posted about train possibly being adjusted

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 2, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I don't really care if wallbanging is nerfed or buffed, because at least it's loving consistent and based on materials now.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

astr0man posted:

Train is still better than ~official competitive maps~ de_cbble and de_overpass.

Overpass is actually pretty good after the changes and while I agree that cobble needs a lot of work (the courtyard outside of t spawn I'm looking at you) but it's come a great distance since it's original release and my games there have actually been pretty good. I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the way that the drop into B halls as terrorists works either, it's one of those places where if the CTs don't shut it down every single round they will lose. Connector control is a bit too important in my eyes, I think removing it or maybe building some type of connection between the sniper nest in mid and where the drop is now.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Overpass is actually pretty good after the changes and while I agree that cobble needs a lot of work (the courtyard outside of t spawn I'm looking at you) but it's come a great distance since it's original release and my games there have actually been pretty good. I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the way that the drop into B halls as terrorists works either, it's one of those places where if the CTs don't shut it down every single round they will lose. Connector control is a bit too important in my eyes, I think removing it or maybe building some type of connection between the sniper nest in mid and where the drop is now.

Yea, i tend to fall on the side of not removing train if you're going to keep cobble (haven't had fun in the few mm matches ive played on that ymmv) but overpass I played the other day and actually had... fun.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

I think wallbanging strength has been nerfed overall and mojo already posted about train possibly being adjusted

It wasn't really nerfed, it was adjusted to be more uniform. There are some places where it got outright buffed. An AWP shot through double doors on dust2 is now a 1 shot kill through the door on an armored opponent. There are other boxes where at close range, an AK can one shot to the head through them now.

But then some materials were made "stronger" and you can't wall through them at all (I think? not even the corners or anything.)

So it was just made more uniform, nerfed in some areas, buffed in others.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
drat Valve for tailoring the game for the majority.

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

drat xen and fat lou got buffed in this update. can't wait to get 1deag/1tec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
Smokes were fixed, they just weren't in the patch notes.

You should immediately notice the difference if you walk through a smoke. The way you could look through them at certain angles is gone now too. They just seem to be back the way they were before.

• Locked thread