Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

aBagorn posted:

Huh, whoa that you mentioned this. The team Im going to be building is going to be working with a substantial amount of med data. Basically building our model (and then subsequently apis and apps) for external users and some of the ML teams inside our division.

That's awesome. Probably too early to say but do you know what tools you're going to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

That's awesome. Probably too early to say but do you know what tools you're going to use?

Not yet!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Detect sanity, presence of data when expected, quantity of data. Ensure that via logging or metadata, you can trace the life cycle of your data for diagnosis. Have some sort of dashboard that you can show your consumers, and ensure your support people get alerts and act on them within a reasonable SLA and issue public statements for anything that would affect anyone in your orbit.

This is largely to build trust, as you are likely replacing an existing system that people are used to, and you will be the first people blamed if an issue is detected by a lay person. You will need to be prepared to, if it's not your fault, prove that fact before you pass it off. Proactive notifications, especially if you can catch poo poo before a user, and fast resolution helps to build trust in your stuff, which ultimately means less bullshit down the road.

Basically, don't be a scary black box, and try to catch and ideally fix poo poo before a user sees it.

Oh yeah, unrelated: catalogue and document your data offerings. Your present situation is straightforward enough for now that this may be frivolous, but if other data sources are added, you need to know what business value they offer and be able to let your consumers know what you have available. This goes hand in hand with "if you store it, have a plan to use it".

This is great - sounds like you guys have it figured out. Any blogs/resources about this/scaling into big data and choosing the right org structure, SLAs? Or is this one of those cases where you just have to be on the grapevine.

ultrafilter posted:

There are limits on what you can do on a single machine, so you will eventually have to use the cloud. R has interfaces for TensorFlow, Hadoop, Spark, and other distributed computing platforms, so that's not as big a jump as it would be otherwise.

The canonical reference on R performance is Hadley Wickham's Advanced R. That's a must-read for anyone who uses R for more than trivial data processing. There's also a book on high performance R that I'm not familiar with, but the Amazon reviews are pretty good, so it might be worth checking out.

I'll be sure to flip through these resources!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

This is great - sounds like you guys have it figured out. Any blogs/resources about this/scaling into big data and choosing the right org structure, SLAs? Or is this one of those cases where you just have to be on the grapevine.

I'd at least skim the SRE book.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

All I that I stated came from being on the grapevine, and running into these problems. I actually don't feel like much of an expert, there's a lot I don't know. At the same time, being able to write that definitely makes me feel like maybe I'm better than I give myself credit for.

Maybe I should start blogging and writing. Perhaps it'll help make me more compelling as a potential hire, too, especially since I have a few interests that are outside of what I've proven to be capable of in my career, would love to pivot my career towards, and I need something to prove some skill in those interests.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

BurntCornMuffin posted:

All I that I stated came from being on the grapevine, and running into these problems. I actually don't feel like much of an expert, there's a lot I don't know. At the same time, being able to write that definitely makes me feel like maybe I'm better than I give myself credit for.

Maybe I should start blogging and writing. Perhaps it'll help make me more compelling as a potential hire, too, especially since I have a few interests that are outside of what I've proven to be capable of in my career, would love to pivot my career towards, and I need something to prove some skill in those interests.

I'd click your ads. The internet is still pretty barren in regards to consolidated information about how to initiate this stuff in the real world. Sounds like a good opportunity to make some cash if you can get the word out.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Almost certainly. It's super easy to discount the things you know when faced with constant reminders of everything you don't. I mean if you program at all you spend all day figuring out stuff you don't know, if you know it, you put it in and move on to something else without thinking about it.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Have any of you implemented some sort of design review process for your engineering org?

I'm at a place where the team to team quality on new things can be hit or miss, and I'd like to help people grow, implement something sane, and get a better product out of it.

My initial thought was to have us make a design doc just prior to breaking work up into stories, schedule a review meeting, and then gently nudge people to come with questions prepped.

Unfortunately, I've never seen a thing like this implemented before. What would be things to watch out for? Is this even a sane approach? Does something like this even work?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Visual design or architectural design?

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Apologies, architectural.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've seen it done in a few places, almost always in the format of some document either requesting input for potential solutions or review of a proposed solution. I've seen them variously called a Request for Information, a Request for Discussion, and Request for Comment, a Spec Doc, etc etc.

They work pretty well as an exercise for getting everyone on the same page and making sure people feel like they've had input in decisions. The biggest thing to look out for is bikeshedding, you will get a LOT of it, and you need to have someone with the authority to nip it in the bud and/or move it into external meetings, ideally the author of the document.

Edit: I've also seen situations recently where they've *not* been used which resulted in 3 months of wasted development effort when the newly formed architecture team vetoed it.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

What's the scope of the design we're talking about here? Are these projects that run for a year or is it more like two weeks?

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
Projects vary, they generally run a month or two.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

2nd Rate Poster posted:

Have any of you implemented some sort of design review process for your engineering org?

I'm at a place where the team to team quality on new things can be hit or miss, and I'd like to help people grow, implement something sane, and get a better product out of it.

My initial thought was to have us make a design doc just prior to breaking work up into stories, schedule a review meeting, and then gently nudge people to come with questions prepped.

Unfortunately, I've never seen a thing like this implemented before. What would be things to watch out for? Is this even a sane approach? Does something like this even work?

We're working on it now. Basically the idea is a day or two after a story is put into in progress the engineers working on it present their approach ad hoc just after standup. Maybe show some code but mostly we want to hit it pre-code when there's still time to change things easily. It's not hugely successful yet but mostly because velocity has been poo poo these last two sprints.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's pretty common in my area is someone will write up a doc and send it around to collect comments. Depending on the doc quality there may be more or less discussion and back-and-forth required, but generally by the end everyone's on the same page for everything that really matters, and the doc can be used as guidance to break the project down into actionable tasks. Someone then creates a bug for each task, and links the bug to the relevant part of the doc.

Writing the docs is then also a good artifact to have lying around for when performance reviews hit.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Someone then creates a bug for each task

Assume it's a bug before it's even coded out. I love it!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BurntCornMuffin posted:

"Bug" is the term for the internal issue tracker. Bugs can be feature requests, which is what I usually file these as.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Test driven development taken to the extreme!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Based on my experience, this is a very reasonable thing to do.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are good ways to ask about company culture and project planning in an interview? I've had a couple of interviews for team leader or senior engineer positions lately and have been getting back pretty generic answers so I think I'm not phrasing my questions effectively.

A great list of questions was posted the last time we discussed how to look for red flags during an interview (or maybe it was in the agilefall/newbie thread) but I haven't been able to find it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LLSix posted:

What are good ways to ask about company culture and project planning in an interview? I've had a couple of interviews for team leader or senior engineer positions lately and have been getting back pretty generic answers so I think I'm not phrasing my questions effectively.

If the answers aren't specific probably your questions aren't specific, e.g. "can you tell me about the planning process for the last two projects you did?"

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

A great list of questions was posted the last time we discussed how to look for red flags during an interview (or maybe it was in the agilefall/newbie thread) but I haven't been able to find it.

Can't remember the source.

quote:

How long have each of you worked at this company?

What's your deployment process like?

Do you have bouts of "crunch time?"

Tell me about the last person who had this job

Tell me about a typical workweek

When was your last vacation?

What did my predecessor do that was above and beyond?

What is a bad day here like?

What's your approach to testing?

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Volguus posted:

Now they're coming around so maybe in 10 years .NET will catch up to Java.

Uh, I'm late on this, but this is a joke right?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Uh, I'm late on this, but this is a joke right?

I think the point was that Java has a better overall ecosystem than .NET, but C# is a better language. I don't have enough insight into the Java ecosystem to make an argument one way or the other.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I think the point was that Java has a better overall ecosystem than .NET, but C# is a better language. I don't have enough insight into the Java ecosystem to make an argument one way or the other.

Me and my coworker wistfully wishing we were using Maven and not NuGet while enjoying many C# language features agree with this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

Me and my coworker wistfully wishing we were using Maven and not NuGet while enjoying many C# language features agree with this.

We just write C# grade plugins and everything gets pushed to artifadtory.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I'm not trying to talk about something I don't understand, I'll freely admit I have no idea what Java has to offer in this regard. But can you explain what .NET is lacking, specifically? I've not really had an issue in the last couple years or so. NuGet is sometimes flawed but ecosystem wise I feel like there's always been a library out there for whatever I've needed. Again though, it's just my experience, people working on different types of software probably have different experiences.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I'm not trying to talk about something I don't understand, I'll freely admit I have no idea what Java has to offer in this regard. But can you explain what .NET is lacking, specifically? I've not really had an issue in the last couple years or so. NuGet is sometimes flawed but ecosystem wise I feel like there's always been a library out there for whatever I've needed. Again though, it's just my experience, people working on different types of software probably have different experiences.

I think most of our worst issues are due to the particular history of things at the company (i.e. self-inflicted) and not NuGet per se, but here goes:

Maven plugins allow additional tasks to be brought into the system, NuGet is meant to be a closed-set-of-functionality tool (unless you open up the powershell escape hatch, I guess). In our case, this means we have Python and Gulp scripts of dubious quality running our NuGet instead of community-tested plugins doing special purpose tasks within Maven.

Is it accurate to say that Maven actually defined a declarative model for Java project building, including dependencies? Whereas NuGet inherits its project model from visual studio and bolted on two different formats for dependencies before putting them in the visual studio project itself... and putting dependencies there is a preview, or something.

So Maven wanted to do every build activity you can do from a single machine and is open both as source and to extension by plugins. NuGet is, in contrast, just for packaging and dependency management, has no ambitions about being able to fulfill every task you might want to throw at it (that's what powershell and Team Foundation BuildLord or something else with a terrible name is for, right?) and suffers a little from being a small fish in a churning pond of Microsoft Dev tools.

C# vs Java library ecosystem fights are not for me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

I think most of our worst issues are due to the particular history of things at the company (i.e. self-inflicted) and not NuGet per se, but here goes:

Maven plugins allow additional tasks to be brought into the system, NuGet is meant to be a closed-set-of-functionality tool (unless you open up the powershell escape hatch, I guess). In our case, this means we have Python and Gulp scripts of dubious quality running our NuGet instead of community-tested plugins doing special purpose tasks within Maven.

Is it accurate to say that Maven actually defined a declarative model for Java project building, including dependencies? Whereas NuGet inherits its project model from visual studio and bolted on two different formats for dependencies before putting them in the visual studio project itself... and putting dependencies there is a preview, or something.

So Maven wanted to do every build activity you can do from a single machine and is open both as source and to extension by plugins. NuGet is, in contrast, just for packaging and dependency management, has no ambitions about being able to fulfill every task you might want to throw at it (that's what powershell and Team Foundation BuildLord or something else with a terrible name is for, right?) and suffers a little from being a small fish in a churning pond of Microsoft Dev tools.

C# vs Java library ecosystem fights are not for me.

It seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Maven is a build language with dependency management built in. NuGet is purely for dependency management. MSBuild is the Microsoft build language. And yeah, MSBuild kind of sucks, but that's kind of forgivable because the Visual Studio tooling handles most of it for you; I haven't had to seriously dig into an MSBuild script for a long time.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
For me, NuGet vs. Maven is even more like "an apple in a bowl of fruit that I don't particularly like vs. a different bowl of fruit"*

*The other point was that C# is (IMO) ahead of Java and some weird async, Task<T>, and reflection stuff I had to work with about 5 minutes ago was actually quite well explained in docs and on SnackOverflow as well as being Nice and Slick.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Maven does, however, have some very fucky ways of declaring and resolving test dependencies.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

I think most of our worst issues are due to the particular history of things at the company (i.e. self-inflicted) and not NuGet per se

I think there's also a valid complaint right here. Anecdotally, there's a lot more NIH and homegrown libraries in .NET land, and it's way less likely for a non-MS-sanctioned library to see much adoption.

Team Foundation BuildLord
Surely you jest.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

redleader posted:

I think there's also a valid complaint right here. Anecdotally, there's a lot more NIH and homegrown libraries in .NET land, and it's way less likely for a non-MS-sanctioned library to see much adoption.

I'm kind of weirded out how common Newtonsoft JSON is, but that's Microsoft's fault for lashing their first JSON support to some XML-transform bullshit. As in, "why the hell are there XML namespaces in my JSON property names?!", was the first thing I thought looking at the default serializer output, IIRC.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

I'm kind of weirded out how common Newtonsoft JSON is, but that's Microsoft's fault for lashing their first JSON support to some XML-transform bullshit.

I had the same thoughts looking at the framework's JSON serialization back before JSON was commonly used. Instead of doing it right, Microsoft is probably responsible for thousands of wasted man hours and directly creating a few alcoholics due to dealing with binding-redirect/dependent-assembly hell with all the Nuget packages that take a dependency on Newtonsoft (most of them.)

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
After the backlash I got for all the prep work I was doing from here I took a step back and evaluated why and yeah, a lot of it felt like overcompensating for a lack of experience and severe anxiety from how lovely my current job is. I decreased the volume by quite a bit and tried to do a problem every few days and I feel pretty comfortable at this point. The only two things I really struggled with were "print all ways nodes may have been added to a BST" and "queens on a chessboard". Most other problems seem trivial at this point, in a comfortable environment at least.

On the flip-side, we've wrapped up our first iteration of our project so I have a bunch of time off next week (lol first non-weekend days off in 4 months) and I would like to spend some time exploring some of the more challenging areas that are interesting to me that I haven't touched at all really. My question is: where do I even start? People have mentioned tree balancing problems, red-black, AVL trees, tries, but I'm not sure where to begin. Do I just jump in and think about solving the problems myself?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

No judgment on you, GWH, and kudos on finding an understanding of your anxiety, but man "CS algorithms as shibboleth showing your worthiness to join a big tech company" seems like such a waste.

That said, why not find some online collection of problems with a judge and do some of them (or keep doing them if that's what you started)? Deep dives into certain CS concepts will pay off best if you literally get asked about the concept, a good set of problems with a grader will stretch your skills and build your confidence with feedback.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

http://open.kattis.com/
This site has a ton of problems and a ranking to boot!

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Why not, I don't know, actually take a break? I know the US is some kind of hellscape when it comes to having a reasonable amount of holidays, but try doing something non-computer related. I'm serious. Go for a walk in the country or whatever, it'll be good for you.

If you really, really, must do something that you think will help you work-wise, try something that isn't anything to do with your day job. Go through the exercises on http://www.4clojure.com or read https://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Naar posted:

Why not, I don't know, actually take a break? I know the US is some kind of hellscape when it comes to having a reasonable amount of holidays, but try doing something non-computer related. I'm serious. Go for a walk in the country or whatever, it'll be good for you.

If you really, really, must do something that you think will help you work-wise, try something that isn't anything to do with your day job. Go through the exercises on http://www.4clojure.com or read https://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/

I'd love to take a break but I'd also love to get out of my job even more and plan to take time off between jobs even. Work is really grinding me down with the politics and games and completely absurd schedule (manager and PM on my team will literally not get in until noon+ and ping me at like 3am, I won't wake up of course but it's still frustrating to see that first thing waking up). If I was making progress in terms of my skills, this would be a lot easier to swallow. But I get nothing out of this save for a paycheck.

Keetron posted:

http://open.kattis.com/
This site has a ton of problems and a ranking to boot!

Thanks, this looks cool!

No judgment on you, GWH, and kudos on finding an understanding of your anxiety, but man "CS algorithms as shibboleth showing your worthiness to join a big tech company" seems like such a waste.

You're probably about 60-70% correct. I don't even want to work at a big company, but during some of my last interviews tough algo stuff got me bounced and it's one thing I can actually work to improve on myself in a specific and measurable way. I could build a pet project I guess, or contribute to some open source stuff too, but at the end of the day these types of problems are still the most common thing I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I guess the real takeaway is: how do you mask lovely job experience where you're not given much of an opportunity to progress?