Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

kimbo305 posted:

Brb spending $$$ on Enve wheels:

Was thinking the same thing; they're probably thrilled in Utah France right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Ooooh

Cav?

So hot right now.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/749654900527624192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I love the onboard cameras this year.

Also about BMC and Portes incredibly slow wheel change. Why didn't one of his team mates give him a wheel? He was in the front group when he punctured and there was a strong BMC presence trying to pull Greg Vanavermaet to the top of the hill. For a team supposedly going for the GC it was a spectacularly dumb move that cost their best rider nearly 2 minutes.

Porte is not better than TJVG

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Paddyb posted:

“It’s like everybody is riding [as if they] lose the brain,” he fumed. “There are stupid crashes in the group, it’s very dangerous. When it’s wet nobody brakes — for sure you’re going to crash.

“It’s not logical. In the group, before there was respect. When someone did something stupid, everybody throws their [water] bottle on him or beats him with [tire] pumps."

I bet it´s exactly the same as it´s been for years. Sagan just has more to lose.

Today´s stage was loving boring.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hey I just happened to see the last hour of Stage 2 and was smitten with the way the Peloton caught the leaders in the last couple KM. I read up a bit on jerseys and scoring and a telegraph "dummies guide to the tour de France", what should I know, what can't I miss (apparently Stage 3 was kind of an easier day?) I don't see any kind of summary like the OP for this year.

Anything with that next level of detail would be greatly appreciated!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Today was a pretty boring travel stage, not a challenging or technical route, just long straights as they covered the km toward somewhere more interesting. Tomorrow is similar. Wednesday should hopefully be the interesting location.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Crazyweasel posted:

Hey I just happened to see the last hour of Stage 2 and was smitten with the way the Peloton caught the leaders in the last couple KM. I read up a bit on jerseys and scoring and a telegraph "dummies guide to the tour de France", what should I know, what can't I miss (apparently Stage 3 was kind of an easier day?) I don't see any kind of summary like the OP for this year.

Not sure about the level of detail, but here's a good overview with a pretty on-point Voeckler prediction.

http://fittish.deadspin.com/the-casual-observers-guide-to-the-tour-de-france-1782751474

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Porte is not better than TJVG

And Tjvg is not better than porte.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

And Tjvg is not better than porte.

He is a better GC guy, Porte is a super dom and always has a bad day and blows up, his best tour result is 19th. Van Garderen can grind it out and who knows. Anyone who thought Porte could be a team leader is mistaken, like people thought Renshaw could be a sprinter

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

It's....beautiful

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
21mph for 200k. Maybe bio passport is working.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goatface posted:

Today was a pretty boring travel stage, not a challenging or technical route, just long straights as they covered the km toward somewhere more interesting. Tomorrow is similar. Wednesday should hopefully be the interesting location.

We can always hope for crosswinds I guess

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Crazyweasel posted:

You should check out http://inrng.com

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I can't believe someone didn't just die on those traffic islands

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Even closer than last stage.

e: about 5mm for Kittel.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

wide stance posted:

Even closer than last stage.

e: about 5mm for Kittel.

coquard had the speed but threw his bike too early

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

coquard had the speed but threw his bike too early

Yeah, also wonder what would've happened if he took a straight line instead of angling into Kittel. Regardless he made Sagan look like he was standing still. Guy is fast.

They need to playback the uber high speed camera like in the Tour of California instead of just showing the final still.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Again with the early throw?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Dude looked like a 13 year old junior banging into Big Marcel Kittel

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Why did they go back to this pointless first week of sprint stages like the old days? now when Froome does his juiced up thing in the mountains the whole 3 weeks wil have been irrelevant

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wide stance posted:

Regardless he made Sagan look like he was standing still.

Yeah, but it's pretty cool to see the yellow jersey mixing it up with sprinters who're already several minutes down on GC.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

itv is loving stupid

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why?

Its a graphic showing how the leaderboard looks without time trial and I think mountain wins?

Pretty good way of showing how good a sprinter he is

E: mass finish wins was what I was after

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 6, 2016

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The screen right before that one was a table of total stage wins, they followed it up with that one to highlight how Cavendish is a sprinter and not a climber. It's not stupid at all.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Why?

Its a graphic showing how the leaderboard looks without time trial and I think mountain wins?

Pretty good way of showing how good a sprinter he is

E: mass finish wins was what I was after
its just dumb and pointless to compare Cav and Mercx/Hinault at all especially by removing time trial wins

Sprint stages should count as half or maybe 1/4th even. Very sad.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Neither of those dopers should be on those lists to begin with.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Cav had to get braces from all the HGH

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

African AIDS cum posted:

its just dumb and pointless to compare Cav and Mercx/Hinault at all especially by removing time trial wins

Sprint stages should count as half or maybe 1/4th even. Very sad.

Does someone have that mc fruit stripe post saved?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Over 14 minutes for the break, no way they're being caught

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Depends if they're friends.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'd forgotten that this was the stage that Pereiro took back 29 minutes :stare: to go ahead of Floyd in '06. Grivko was in that break also.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone wants this. Not sure its worth it tbh, unless they're deliberately trying to dick with the people carrying knocks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can't wait for Valverde to burn all his team mates just to get dropped today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No he's definitely 100% working for Nairo this year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The pace movistar are setting on the front :stare:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
They dropped Nibali at least.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

They dropped Nibali at least.

And contador I think?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Twitter says he crashed and dropped out?!!

E: I don't think this is true

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Twitter says he crashed and dropped out?!!

E: I don't think this is true

Hes clinging on to the back of t he pack but hes still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They've killed people, and it's only helping Froome.