Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I have a number that's a business landline number that's forwarded to my 6 but sometimes when I get incoming calls it rings once or twice on my end and then says I have a missed call, but then about 20-30 seconds later the phone rings again and I'm able to answer the call.

I asked someone if they hung up and called again or the call dropped and they said that it just took a while to ring through (until I was able to answer). Any idea what is going on with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That sounds like an issue with whatever service is forwarding the number, not the phone itself.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Similar to the above, but does a number have to be in your contacts to block it? A telemarketer keeps calling me from the same number even though I've told them not to, and although the number is definitely blocked the calls are still coming through. (When I go to my call history it says "Unblock This Caller" as if it's already blocked.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

computer parts posted:

Until the fall, yes. There has actually been a lot of new POS hardware popping up in the past few months.

I think a lot of not all card companies have chips in new cards. I know Walmart utilizes the chip thing and you straight can't swipe if you have one in your card.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

robodex posted:

Similar to the above, but does a number have to be in your contacts to block it? A telemarketer keeps calling me from the same number even though I've told them not to, and although the number is definitely blocked the calls are still coming through. (When I go to my call history it says "Unblock This Caller" as if it's already blocked.)

I have two numbers blocked and had to create contacts for both of them. If there is a way to do it without that I'd like to know.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

spongeworthy posted:

As posted above, mine were within a couple days as well. Be aware you will need to restore your iOS in order for any unlock to take effect.

p sure you can also remove your sim and put it back in and plug into iTunes and you'll get the "Congrats you're iPhone is unlocked" message.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nickutz posted:

I have two numbers blocked and had to create contacts for both of them. If there is a way to do it without that I'd like to know.

I don't know about doing it completely without adding them to contacts, but you don't need to create separate contacts for each. I have one contact I named "Zzz Blocked" (Zzz is so it goes to the bottom of the list), and whenever I want to block a number I just add it as an additional number for "Zzz Blocked".

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

dutchbstrd posted:

p sure you can also remove your sim and put it back in and plug into iTunes and you'll get the "Congrats you're iPhone is unlocked" message.

That may still work. I had success doing that years ago using alternate provider SIMs to trigger the unlock but it didn't work on a 5/5S for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started using the alarm a while back after my alarm clock broke and I hate it. Is there some way to let it override the silencing switch? Sometimes I'll just switch it to silent when I can't answer a call and forget about it which renders the alarm useless unless I remember to flip the switch back. On top of that I think the auto switching from AM to PM while scrolling through numbers is dumb as hell. Nothing about the app seems to be designed for people who are about to go to sleep. I am so overly cautious about it I check to make sure the sound is on a few times every night while I'm dozing off.

Missed a couple of important things because of that stupid shot when I first started using it and it still stresses me out.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I started using the alarm a while back after my alarm clock broke and I hate it. Is there some way to let it override the silencing switch? Sometimes I'll just switch it to silent when I can't answer a call and forget about it which renders the alarm useless unless I remember to flip the switch back. On top of that I think the auto switching from AM to PM while scrolling through numbers is dumb as hell. Nothing about the app seems to be designed for people who are about to go to sleep. I am so overly cautious about it I check to make sure the sound is on a few times every night while I'm dozing off.

Missed a couple of important things because of that stupid shot when I first started using it and it still stresses me out.

While I have my gripes about the Alarm functionality/features as well, I've taken to using the 'Do Not Disturb' feature in conjunction with the alarm and not setting the phone to silent mode, which is what I leave mine in for the bulk of the day. It's been working out pretty well so far.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

I don't think I've ever had a problem with the alarm clock not overriding the silent switch as I always leave my phone on silent. Is this a new thing with the iPhone 6, because I'm still on an iPhone 5.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

I don't think I've ever had a problem with the alarm clock not overriding the silent switch as I always leave my phone on silent. Is this a new thing with the iPhone 6, because I'm still on an iPhone 5.

Same as you and I'm on a 6.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Whenever I try to sign into iMessage or Facetime with my Apple ID it says the username or password is incorrect even though I'm sure it's correct and I'm already signed into the App store. I'm in Australia and recently came back from Europe (where I used a UK sim card) which I suspect has something to do with it. I have my Australian SIM card back in the phone now. I'm using an iPhone 4 on 7.1.2, not jailbroken. Any ideas on this?

EDIT: Fixed, I needed to generate an app-specific password for iMessage and FaceTime.

bigis fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 11, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

NESguerilla posted:

Part of my bedtime routine is to switch my phone onto silent and my alarms always go off. Also maybe my phone is just set up different in terms of times being displayed but my list of alarms shows the times in 24h so there's no confusion about AM/PM. Are you using a third party alarm app or something?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My phone practically lives on silent and my alarm always goes off.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Super Dude posted:

Only some places are getting/enabling NFC.
Chip and signature is the one we're implementing first. Card goes in the slot, not swiped*. Then you sign. I'm not sure how that helps, but we're phasing out MSR for payments and all liability shifts to the business owner if they choose not to implement secured payment methods.

* The payment processor will reject it and request the slot. This is slowly rolling out - you might find that, at Wal Mart for example, an American Express card now must be processed via the slot reader assuming you received your replacement already.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

Chip and signature is the one we're implementing first. Card goes in the slot, not swiped*. Then you sign. I'm not sure how that helps, but we're phasing out MSR for payments and all liability shifts to the business owner if they choose not to implement secured payment methods.

* The payment processor will reject it and request the slot. This is slowly rolling out - you might find that, at Wal Mart for example, an American Express card now must be processed via the slot reader assuming you received your replacement already.

Chip+signature is supposed to help because the card number is no longer sent "in the clear" between the reader, the cash register, and wherever else before it goes into the payment network. It's encrypted from the moment it leaves the chip on the card. This is intended to stop the way that the majority of data breach attacks have taken place, where a RAM scraper was installed on cash registers or other points in that process and just sent card numbers to Russia as it saw them in the POS software's working memory.

No PIN means it's not going to help you if your card's stolen, but you as a consumer pretty much have no liability there anyway other than the pain in the rear end to deal with it. It's intended to put up a barrier against the next Target attack.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

kitten smoothie posted:

Chip+signature is supposed to help because the card number is no longer sent "in the clear" between the reader, the cash register, and wherever else before it goes into the payment network. It's encrypted from the moment it leaves the chip on the card. This is intended to stop the way that the majority of data breach attacks have taken place, where a RAM scraper was installed on cash registers or other points in that process and just sent card numbers to Russia as it saw them in the POS software's working memory.

No PIN means it's not going to help you if your card's stolen, but you as a consumer pretty much have no liability there anyway other than the pain in the rear end to deal with it. It's intended to put up a barrier against the next Target attack.

No.

Encryption and EMV are two different things - EMV is not encrypted, and you can still pull a card number off of an EMV transaction. The reason EMV helps with counterfeit card fraud is because the chip generates a dynamic card verification value that, if stolen, cannot be used again. Think of it like an RSA "token."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the handful of times I've used the alarm, I've never had a problem with it going off when the phone is set to silent.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

No.

Encryption and EMV are two different things - EMV is not encrypted, and you can still pull a card number off of an EMV transaction. The reason EMV helps with counterfeit card fraud is because the chip generates a dynamic card verification value that, if stolen, cannot be used again. Think of it like an RSA "token."
Yeah. I meant that with Chip and PIN, the PIN is stored on the card and you have to know the PIN to use it - whereas the signature does not exist on the chip so it doesn't serve the same purpose since it's not required to 'unlock' the card.

There are many payment providers and whether or not the POS system actually receives the track data directly and then packages it for the processor, or it all happens in a black box, is pretty all over the place.

For example, a lot of keyboard or monitor mounted MSRs are just keyboard-wedge systems. The swiped card literally translates into a string of text as if someone had typed it. Some customer terminals communicate directly with a separate server (often local), so the POS system just says "try to charge this amount" and gets back a result.

PA-DSS certification requires encryption for the communications aspect at least.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Don't know how often you leave home or if you want your phone off silent the entire time you're at home but you can use geofencing with reminders if you want it not to be silent at home, or to remind you to turn off silent mode at least. Just set remind me at a location in reminders app and you'll have a notification and little vibration to remind you when you get home.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah. I meant that with Chip and PIN, the PIN is stored on the card and you have to know the PIN to use it - whereas the signature does not exist on the chip so it doesn't serve the same purpose since it's not required to 'unlock' the card.

There are many payment providers and whether or not the POS system actually receives the track data directly and then packages it for the processor, or it all happens in a black box, is pretty all over the place.

For example, a lot of keyboard or monitor mounted MSRs are just keyboard-wedge systems. The swiped card literally translates into a string of text as if someone had typed it. Some customer terminals communicate directly with a separate server (often local), so the POS system just says "try to charge this amount" and gets back a result.

PA-DSS certification requires encryption for the communications aspect at least.

The PIN is verified "online" by the issuer as part of the authorization, not offline locally by the chip itself. Most cards outside of those issued in Europe do not even support offline PIN. Even Europe is moving away from offline PIN because it is less secure (dynamic card verification value can't be verified online if the transaction is offline).

But your point about PIN preventing lost/stolen F2F fraud absolutely still stands :v:

It sounds like you also work in the industry - shoot me a PM if you want to chat sometime :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the handful of times I've used the alarm, I've never had a problem with it going off when the phone is set to silent.
The alarm has had priority over the silent switch forever, same goes for do not disturb afaik.

I think it uses the ringer volume though (as opposed to the separate music volume) so if that's low enough that might explain missing the alarm?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

japtor posted:

The alarm has had priority over the silent switch forever, same goes for do not disturb afaik.

I think it uses the ringer volume though (as opposed to the separate music volume) so if that's low enough that might explain missing the alarm?

Yeah that's probably it. I've been using my phone as my alarm for a total of 4-5 years--my phone is on silent 99% of the time. The only time I've ever had a problem is if I've somehow turned the ringer volume down (which you can still do if the phone is on silent.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

robodex posted:

Yeah that's probably it. I've been using my phone as my alarm for a total of 4-5 years--my phone is on silent 99% of the time. The only time I've ever had a problem is if I've somehow turned the ringer volume down (which you can still do if the phone is on silent.)
Set the ringer volume in Settings and unswitch the Change with Buttons button and you can't do this.

And yeah, I think even third-party alarms can override silent since I used to use Sleep Cycle and it would still go off if I accidentally locked the screen.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

The PIN is verified "online" by the issuer as part of the authorization, not offline locally by the chip itself. Most cards outside of those issued in Europe do not even support offline PIN. Even Europe is moving away from offline PIN because it is less secure (dynamic card verification value can't be verified online if the transaction is offline).
Fair enough. Luckily at least in most European regions, we don't have to know the exact details. The POS software itself doesn't verify the PIN or even see it, at least. Even our US EMV implementations so far have been shockingly simple.

quote:

It sounds like you also work in the industry - shoot me a PM if you want to chat sometime :)
Indeed I do. If you happen to work in sales please disregard the "shockingly simple" comment.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 10, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
My next worry is that my friend that works in computer security has zero faith in EMV systems because I guess cards can still be cloned reasonably easily despite the chip? His big worry is that now "card present" transactions will be harder to dispute because front line support agents are just going to be "nah that's not possible."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That might be true, but that doesn't mean implementing it is a bad idea. Mag stripe cards are hilariously broken and we should have moved on to something that actually implements modern security theory 10 years ago.

Businesses have to stay agile with this stuff or they're going to continue hemorrhaging money after break-ins.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there any way to completely disable visual voicemail on the iphone? Every time I swap from my iphone to my android phone, voicemail notifications break. According to Verizon, visual voicemail on the iphone is some special snowflake that doesn't follow visual voicemail on any of the other platforms, and the only thing they can do about it is reset my voicemail settings. Each time my sim card is in the iphone, Apple's visual voicemail is re-enabled and I can't stop it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

xzzy posted:

That might be true, but that doesn't mean implementing it is a bad idea. Mag stripe cards are hilariously broken and we should have moved on to something that actually implements modern security theory 10 years ago.

Businesses have to stay agile with this stuff or they're going to continue hemorrhaging money after break-ins.

Oh yeah, it's more of an implementation detail of "banks/customer support can be lovely."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Super Dude posted:

Is there any way to completely disable visual voicemail on the iphone? Every time I swap from my iphone to my android phone, voicemail notifications break. According to Verizon, visual voicemail on the iphone is some special snowflake that doesn't follow visual voicemail on any of the other platforms, and the only thing they can do about it is reset my voicemail settings. Each time my sim card is in the iphone, Apple's visual voicemail is re-enabled and I can't stop it.

Stop swapping phones like a sperglord.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My iPad broke last week and I decided to upgrade my current sim only in my 5 to a 64gb 6+ as an in between option.

I'm floored by how beautiful the screen is. Going back to my 5 to check some app settings and it feels like a kids toy in my hand.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Super Dude posted:

The iPhone has visual voicemail? Like you translates the VMs to text to read? So this app I'm paying for isn't even worth it?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The iPhone has visual voicemail? Like you translates the VMs to text to read? So this app I'm paying for isn't even worth it?

Visual voicemail is where you don't have to dial in to your voicemail system.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ah I meant voicemail to text

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's where you get a graphical UI where you can see a list of voicemails with play/pause buttons, options, etc.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Super Dude posted:

If you get a non-iPhone sim from Verizon then visual voicemail will be disabled.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

pragan4 posted:

If you get a non-iPhone sim from Verizon then visual voicemail will be disabled.

What makes something a non-iPhone sim? The one I'm using came from my Moto X.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Super Dude posted:

What makes something a non-iPhone sim? The one I'm using came from my Moto X.

That should be all you need. Maybe take your Moto X into a Verizon store and get a new sim card and don't touch the voicemail configuration. I had the exact same setup (Moto X & iPhone 6) and the sims that came in each phone behaved differently when swapped. Eventually, though, I learned it was easier to just:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Stop swapping phones like a sperglord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible with Google Photos to delete pictures off my iPhone but not have that deletion synced up to Photos? There's some (but not all) pics that I don't need on my phone any more but I'd like to keep them backed up with Google.