Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Modern science is literally built on the shoulders of philosophers.

e: Well that's not an unpopular opinion of course. Or an opinion at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually Jeff Science woke up one cold winter morning and decided "I'm going to come up with scientific method!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

Modern science is literally built on the shoulders of philosophers.

e: Well that's not an unpopular opinion of course. Or an opinion at all.

I disagree, it's not literally built on shoulders.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of the current science popularizers suck

Science popularizers talk in the way that appeals to the most people. If you tried to inspire a bunch of modern kids with quotes like the old ones, you'll put everyone to sleep.

Plus it's worth noting that the ones on the left were active scientists, not publicists who quit science to do outreach stuff like Tyson/Nye/Sagan. I'm sure a lot of the top researchers in the world have some profound stuff to say, but you never hear it because that's not what the general public wants anymore. They want weed references and memes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Actually Jeff Science woke up one cold winter morning and decided "I'm going to come up with scientific method!"

No one ever remembers Tim Method. :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sassassin posted:

Looks like someone hasn't done real science :smugmrgw:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Those NES and SNES classic systems are loving stupid. It's incredibly easy to play any of those games a multitude of ways, even legally through a Wii you could buy for like $10 if you don't already have one you are using as a paper weight. People losing their minds over a glorified version of those junk consoles you can buy at the flea market.

While the average goon probably has the capacity to make a raspberry pi setup, the average person doesn't. And most people aren't willing to spend time bothering finding an old console when they can pay $80(or $300 to scalpers) for a new version of that old console that is preloaded with games and works with modern TVs. "It's so small and cute :3:" is definitely a factor too. This isn't hard to figure out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's why people buy iphone cases that look like gameboys and why people convinced themselves that Sonic was ever good.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sunswipe posted:

No one ever remembers Tim Method. :(

He's the Art Garfunkel of the duo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's why people buy iphone cases that look like gameboys and why people convinced themselves that Sonic was ever good.

Sonic 2 was good though??

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of the current science popularizers suck

Actually all f those quotes are correct, and most of the ones on the right are responding to the idea of philosophy REPLACING science. Which they are correct on. You dont calculate terminal velocity by philosophical discussion, you measure that poo poo. Thats the point they are making.

Also often they are talking about philosophy having non measurable claims about stuff like an afterlife or spirit, and that if you hop on that train while ignoring the scientific method, you got nothing for the scientist to work with.
They are all correct

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I don't know if I'd attach it to voting rights, but working retail is a crushing experience everyone should have, if only to gain perspective. Really, any service industry would probably do the trick.

e: Although part of what is crushing about it is knowing it's a necessity because there isn't another option if you want to afford a place to live/food to eat. It's pretty hard to mandate that particular set of circumstances.

phuo: food service, whether in the kitchen or as a server, is like retail but worse in every way

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only selling point they'd have for me is they are probably easier to hook up to modern TVs than the old ones.

Generally I agree with you though. It's just not the same if you aren't playing with the actual console and a physical copy of the game. I can't describe logically how it is different, but like playing a rom even of some of my favorite games just isn't as interesting/fun. It's just a transparent cash-in on the obsession with "retro" everything. I also hate it because it's going to make it harder for me to sell my old stuff because everyone will say "why pay you 100 dollars for that top loading NES console when I could just buy the NES classic" etc.

Do you also own beanie babies?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

We Know Catheters posted:

Do you also own beanie babies?

No, I just had a grandma who bought stolen NES games for 5 dollars each and she kept buying them for us until we had almost 200 of them. My parents were big on taking care of things so they all still have the boxes etc too. It's the kind of thing where I could definitely sell it probably for a lot of money, but the time and effort so far has been too much for me to really try.

Beanie babies are different because they are a designed collectable. Nobody collects beanie babies to use, they buy them to display and nothing else. At least you can still use my collection for its intended purpose.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Has there ever been a product designed to be collectible that has actually become collectible/valuable?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

No, I just had a grandma who bought stolen NES games

I want my copies of Cobra Command and Paperboy back

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm gonna assume most of those quotes are either made up or misquoted like any macro quote meme on the internet. I've seen that dumb open mind quote from like a dozen different supposed sources

it's fair to assume from the marginal context provided that every one on the right is probably responding to more recent-ish post-modernist philosophy or something of its kind, those sub-fields do contain a great deal of anti-science rhetoric given unusual academic credence or otherwise attempt to legitimately criticize science on some other ground like, say, by calling out equations like e=mc^2 as being inherently sexed and discriminatory or by making the argument that fluid dynamics as a field is poorly studied over rigid dynamics because fluids are feminine while rigids evoke the phallus, without including other details in its evaluation like recalling that fluids are much harder to abstract/model with current mathematical tools, fluid behaviors are thus poorly accounted for, and so remained a niche study

it often does come off pretty ridiculous, but perhaps very slightly less so when you remember that a lot of other academic disciplines, e.g. anthropology, had to go through a lot of restructuring when scholars gradually became aware of how bigoted some of its arguments/theories/terminology/etc was or how it was, say, inherently privileging western civilization over all others while feigning detached objectivity as an impartial observer

still, it's def a little dishonest to include einstein as one of the good, enlightened scientists when he'd probably be right there with bill nye in stating his skepticism over the idea that 'reality isn't real or that our observations of it are not authentic' since for most of his life he grappled against quantum mechanics just for the sin of being stranger, less tangible and less deterministic than he preferred - "God does not play dice" - i bet he'd certainly disagree with the notion that e=mc^2 was just some weird gender thing he came up too

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

Those NES and SNES classic systems are loving stupid. It's incredibly easy to play any of those games a multitude of ways, even legally through a Wii you could buy for like $10 if you don't already have one you are using as a paper weight. People losing their minds over a glorified version of those junk consoles you can buy at the flea market.

I don't feel like loving with Linux, and trying to get that set up on my tv. I understand why other people do that. All I want is a cheap toy I can plug in so I can play donkey kong country on a Saturday afternoon while I'm stoned. Also the consoles you're talking about are more collectible now and have gone up in price. Not to mention the list of games on the SNES has a few rare games that go for way more than the system and a game where there is no official release to begin with, and hooking an old system up to a modern tv is a huge pain in the rear end where as the mini systems are using hdmi and a little micro USB. I mean really the only bullshit thing about them is the artificial scarcity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Has there ever been a product designed to be collectible that has actually become collectible/valuable?

While comic books themselves don't gain value anymore, a lot of merchandise for them still does.

Statues, high end action figures, props etc. But a big reason is that stuff is all like single run, low quantity limited edition stuff.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

phuo: food service, whether in the kitchen or as a server, is like retail but worse in every way

I'm prepared to agree (hence the "any service industry" bit) but I'd still be interested in the reasons why. I know I hated working at Burger King but I figured it was just a kind of misery I'm not as able to personally tolerate.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Probably only if it bombed and barely sold any. The rarest stuff in any collectible field generally is from companies or products that were only around for an extremely short amount of time.

In most cases nowadays though they sell things that are "limited edition", but their definition of limited is more like 1 million+ and will never be worth much more than they retailed for.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure why you'd bother with buying physical systems when emulators are just as good or better.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not sure why you'd bother with buying physical systems when emulators are just as good or better.

Every option for setting up an emulator on your living room TV requires more work than this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baseball/magic the gathering/Pokémon type cards

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think the collector items that tend to be worth the most are common items that nobody bothered to collect in the first place. Then they became too rare and are mostly in poor conditions.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Chernabog posted:

I think the collector items that tend to be worth the most are common items that nobody bothered to collect in the first place. Then they became too rare and are mostly in poor conditions.

Yeah one of the reasons comics ever got valuable in the first place was because a bunch of young people went off to world war 2 and while they were gone moms and grandmas were throwing them all of the comics out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sassassin posted:

You haven't seen my shoulders

(Does more shoulder presses)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Art; paintings and such.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dross posted:

Every option for setting up an emulator on your living room TV requires more work than this

???

I loaded a bunch of emulators on a laptop, hooked the laptop to the TV via HDMI. Boom done. It was just an extra laptop I had laying around too, it's not like those emulators need a lot to run. Even if you don't have an extra laptop finding one cheap shouldn't be too hard.

I use Xbox 360 controllers but you can find all kinds of USB controllers for any given system style.

Yeah it's not as easy as buying one of those new NES Classics, but I also have access to a fuckload more games and systems.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My original NES still works and I played Legacy of the Wizard last week. It was a good time, even if it was inherently worthless.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

???

I loaded a bunch of emulators on a laptop, hooked the laptop to the TV via HDMI. Boom done. It was just an extra laptop I had laying around too, it's not like those emulators need a lot to run. Even if you don't have an extra laptop finding one cheap shouldn't be too hard.

I use Xbox 360 controllers but you can find all kinds of USB controllers for any given system style.

Yeah it's not as easy as buying one of those new NES Classics, but I also have access to a fuckload more games and systems.

You are also breaking the law every time you open a rom, criminal scum.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

I loaded a bunch of emulators on a laptop

That's already way more work.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
on the topic of the NES/SNES classic: i'd prefer having a lil console with all those great games on it as opposed to paying much more to have them on the wii u, a console that has been replaced with a console that doesnt have those games (yet)

but yes i am buying earthbound for the third time.

Mu Zeta posted:

sonic forces is a game about how sonic and your original character are bffs, and the theme is named "fistbump" sang by Hoobastank. sonic is good.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

What if they're backups of games I own, and I have express, written consent from both the NFL and NBC?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nuh uh I have literally every gaming system and game ever made, my uncle works for nintendo so he gave them to me

Aphrodite posted:

That's already way more work.

Ok enjoy your 12 games or whatever because you're lazy

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Aug 25, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Nuh uh I have literally every gaming system and game every made, my uncle works for nintendo so he gave them to me

Ok enjoy your 12 games or whatever because you're lazy

I'm guessing 90 percent of the people who bought the nes and SNES classic will be fine with the list of games and don't need every title just so they can play Wayne's world or some poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

You haven't seen my shoulders

(Does more shoulder presses)

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in shoulder presses, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret meets, and I have an over bodyweight confirmed 1RM. I am trained in gorilla lifting and I’m the top military presser in the entire US armed forces.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I'm guessing 90 percent of the people who bought the nes and SNES classic will be fine with the list of games and don't need every title just so they can play Wayne's world or some poo poo.

My argument was more towards having the best games over several systems and not one system with all the games, but I see your point.

waynes world was great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were no good games before 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

There were no good games before 2005.

Even the "good ones" were crippled by having to work within the technical limitations, and would be infinitely better if remade.