Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I strongly disagree with all the suggesions that habitats should start out small. The planet penalty makes this rather unappealing and I'm pretty sure I would never build 4 tile habs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Xae posted:

There should be a mineral version of the Dyson Sphere.

Some sort of planet cracking mine that sacrifices a habitable planet for 4 times the number of tiles the planet had for minerals a month.

Not for a planet, but there's this one. Even uses the same model. Asteroid Recycler.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905805104

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I'm not saying Dyson Spheres couldn't use a buff/habitats a nerf, but keep in mind that habitats require building colonies and growing pops, greatly increasing your research and unity costs. The situation is not pure energy generation math.

By the time you can start spamming habs for power, you either have most things researched, or you're so big you'll never finish research anyway, tbh.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

genericnick posted:

I strongly disagree with all the suggesions that habitats should start out small. The planet penalty makes this rather unappealing and I'm pretty sure I would never build 4 tile habs.

Don't make them count as full planets.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't make them count as full planets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a mod that gets rid of the research penalty for planets and just increases the penalty for pops. It makes it so you don't worry about or have to do math in your head if a planet is worth settling or not, all that matters is your total empire population.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

This. No idea why they do, given they're meant to buff empires who are seeking to avoid the colony penalties.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nordick posted:

This sounds really drat good and definitely my jam, the problem is I can't bring myself to care about Star Trek. Here's hoping some other mod comes around that does the same to ships but without a specific universe setting (Or at least a setting I like).

Just think of it as a galaxy with a bunch of humanoids with weird poo poo glued to their heads and you'll be fine. I'd say it's worth trying out, although I do agree that the inability to create your own Empire is annoying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Tartan Tory posted:

Does anyone know if you can build habitats on the non-colonisable sections of ringworlds?

I believe you can. I just took over a Fallen Empire and there were a ton of viable spaces to put habitats around the ringworld.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is Expertise: Psionics worth anything to me if I'm not going for the Transcendence ascension perks?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Higher chance of getting the research needed to unlock those, probably.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So despite Wiz's dev diary saying you would lose civics if you ethics shifted, you keep them. So I think starting egalitarian-pacifist-spiritualist with the unity production from farms and then dropping pacifist like a rock is going to be my new favorite trick.

Despite Unity being opposed to my favorite play style - infinite city spam - I desperately need the tire blocker Ascension perk before I really start expanding.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

ulmont posted:

So despite Wiz's dev diary saying you would lose civics if you ethics shifted, you keep them. So I think starting egalitarian-pacifist-spiritualist with the unity production from farms and then dropping pacifist like a rock is going to be my new favorite trick.

Despite Unity being opposed to my favorite play style - infinite city spam - I desperately need the tire blocker Ascension perk before I really start expanding.

Are they still functional? Last I heard is you keep the civic, but it shuts off if you no longer meet the requirements for it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ulmont posted:

Sounds like a bug. Will look into it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Conskill posted:

Are they still functional? Last I heard is you keep the civic, but it shuts off if you no longer meet the requirements for it.

I was still seeing Unity displays next to the farms in my game, but I'll go back and check and destroy a few and see if my total Unity production changes.

Wiz posted:

Goddamnit. I mean, "thanks."

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I've found opening with Expansion rather than Discovery really helps to keep the Unity flowing while ICSing - especially if you immediately build a monument for that second pop as soon as your colony ship lands.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I've found opening with Expansion rather than Discovery really helps to keep the Unity flowing while ICSing - especially if you immediately build a monument for that second pop as soon as your colony ship lands.

Well, I had been trying to open Prosperity (initial), Discovery (full) to get the 1/3 discount for all stations, but I may move Expansion in front of the rest of Discovery.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

yeah same. The 2 pops on a new colony is really powerful if you're going for ICS.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
My preferred opening is Prosperity Opener, Discovery Opener, Open + Fully Complete Expansion (need that Mastery of Nature, and Expansion helps offset unity cost increases), Finish Discovery, prioritizing PSC.

Then, if I'm a non-Hive Mind, likely invest in Unity cause I'll need the happiness. If I am Hive Mind, either finish Prosperity or just complete Supremacy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man I hope they buff displacement purging. I am pretty sure it doesn't work

Or rather it is a lovely purge. Guess I need to be xenophobe in future playthrough.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

loving yes

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe you can. I just took over a Fallen Empire and there were a ton of viable spaces to put habitats around the ringworld.

you can place 12 habitats on the ringworld

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Man I hope they buff displacement purging. I am pretty sure it doesn't work

Or rather it is a lovely purge. Guess I need to be xenophobe in future playthrough.

I feel like there should be techs to improve purge speed. Ideally called something tasteful, like 'Penultimate Xeno Solutions'.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hopefully that will include the option to terraform planets that you don't actually own.

Terrorforming, if you will.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything I can do to stop the enigmatic fortress from eating my autosurveyors?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I had a hive mind pop come into my empire as a refugee.

Did you know it's not even just "they waste away," but they're actually listed with species rights of undesirables, extermination? It's true. My equality faction got kinda mad at me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wiz posted:

Please do not fix any of the lack of sanity checks in regards to premade empires. Just throwing that out there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Soup du Journey posted:

Is there anything I can do to stop the enigmatic fortress from eating my autosurveyors?

Nope, ancient horrors for some reason don't flag a system hostile for auto-surveying so enjoy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Nope, ancient horrors for some reason don't flag a system hostile for auto-surveying so enjoy.
welp time to edit that there save file and set them systems to surveyed.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

alcaras posted:

My preferred opening is Prosperity Opener, Discovery Opener, Open + Fully Complete Expansion (need that Mastery of Nature, and Expansion helps offset unity cost increases), Finish Discovery, prioritizing PSC.

Then, if I'm a non-Hive Mind, likely invest in Unity cause I'll need the happiness. If I am Hive Mind, either finish Prosperity or just complete Supremacy.

I love Unity and Anomalies, so I do Discovery Opener, To Boldly Go, Prosperity Opener, Full Expansion, Supremacy Opener, PSC. then Paradise Domes, Unity from Energy Grids/Nexuses, Visitor Centres and then finish up all of those half-trees. My first Ascension perk is always the Border Range one. It's nice to see my borders explode stupidly after a certain point.

I get in a lot of trouble for border friction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aethernet posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what I do. Open prosperity for the mining station discount, then right into Expansion, research station discount can wait. Worked especially well in my Purifier game, because I knocked over an enemy world immediately and turned them into food. And holy hell do pops ever produce a lot of food.

Baronjutter posted:

I know complaining about rough starts is old hat but I just started a (hyperlane of course) game

I see the problem

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really am liking where this game is going, but I feel like the buy-in point is gonna be perpetually pushed further and further back as this game does the CK2 thing where new content introduces stupidly commonsensically useful UI/QoL fixes and game mechanics, and its great, but then each new expansion breaks some other part of the game which has to be fixed in a future stupidly commonsensical UI/QoL fix and so on and so on.

And I adore the shambling monster that results from that approach. Like, I can see myself really really enjoying this game. In maybe, two years at the rate its going.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
So experimenting with a "discovery" mechanic which is just a series of events that trigger on surveying planets with specific modifiers. Works really well, only need to worry about having multiple discoveries on the same planet (as it pops an event window).

Keeps early game a bit more interesting as you'll be drawn to specific planets.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guilliman posted:

So experimenting with a "discovery" mechanic which is just a series of events that trigger on surveying planets with specific modifiers. Works really well, only need to worry about having multiple discoveries on the same planet (as it pops an event window).

Keeps early game a bit more interesting as you'll be drawn to specific planets.

what's the graphics mod you're using for the tile backgrounds? looks like a nice change of pace from the default

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what's the graphics mod you're using for the tile backgrounds? looks like a nice change of pace from the default

It's one of the planets from the Planetary Diversity mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819148835

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guilliman posted:

It's one of the planets from the Planetary Diversity mod
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819148835

cool, thanks!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Clanpot Shake posted:

On my way to a domination victory I found multiple planets with planetary capital buildings on top of betharian stones. I get the AI wants to stack the capital building on a power tile, but this is just silly.

loving this, it's ridiculous. I've counted five on the planets I've conquered in one game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

King Doom posted:

loving this, it's ridiculous. I've counted five on the planets I've conquered in one game.

I don't even understand alien pets or the power stones, they feel like left-overs from a previous design. Just have a more rare +5 energy bonus tile or something, or make it like an empire-wide strategic resource bonus. Alien pets too, it gives just a local happiness bonus? Why not make it a planet trait then rather than a tile thing? Cute animals on this planet, +10% happiness. Or once again make it cute animals you can export to your empire giving it a +5% bonus.

They just feel out of place in the current design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
What do you guys do by way of galaxy generation settings? I've just been going by the defaults, only switching between elliptical and spiral shapes now and then.

• Locked thread