Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.

Speaking personally I try to tack life-positive when thinking about other people specifically because if I universalized my own feelings I would suggest everybody should die as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/fteconomics/status/1497270987150266368

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

What do you mean?

Edit: And yeah I'm guessing gigantic sanctions from international shipping countries are to result from Russia sinking all cargo enroute to Ukraine.

In last 17 hours EU appetite for sanctions has shifted from “things we’re comfortable with” to “things that will not immediately crater global economy” (touching Russian oil).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

gently caress yes

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

Where's the thread? I absolutely want to donate

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.
Other people's lives might be what you're dying for though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

So I'm happy to be rid of "all young men must go die in the mud or else they are craven and shameful forever" ideal, but I don't think this needs to go directly to "nobody should ever fight for anything ever", either. Individuals are the only ones who can make these decisions for themselves and they are doing the best they could in a perilously lovely situation.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking personally I try to tack life-positive when thinking about other people specifically because if I universalized my own feelings I would suggest everybody should die as soon as possible.

You should probably talk to someone about that, in all seriousness. That seems like a really heavy thing to carry around.

Also I would highly recommend avoiding this thread if you're in that sort of state of mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Where's the thread? I absolutely want to donate

Pinned at the top, its mostly generic charities but there's a couple specific ones.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah human history disagrees. There is plenty of things worth dying for, is this worth dying for? I don't know, that's a personal decision.

I think the real truth is that there are plenty of people who think something is worth dying for. There's also plenty of people who want to live at any cost.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

NATO jets and ships on high alert does feel like an escalation I wasn't expecting.
They really do seem spooked by Belarus' role in all this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alchenar posted:

Putin can be a rational actor and be working off a calculus that is wildly out of kilter with reality (or with a value system that is different to ours).

Yeah, he's a rational actor, he's just

1) operating from flawed assumptions (he seems to be huffing his own farts / propaganda)
2) following a deeply skewed belief system (autocracy good, democracy bad; "realism" means doing anything other than seizing as much personal power as you can is stupid; etc)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Josef bugman posted:

this is an interesting position. you'll debase yourself to any extent to preserve your own life?

not really a commonly held one. where those lines lie for individuals vary a lot, but most people throughout human history would identify at least a few things they would be willing to die for.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Pinned at the top, its mostly generic charities but there's a couple specific ones.

There's a reddit list in the OP--I thought there was a specific SA donation thread, though?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1) operating from flawed assumptions (he seems to be huffing his own farts / propaganda)
2) following a deeply skewed belief system (autocracy good, democracy bad; "realism" means doing anything other than seizing as much personal power as you can is stupid; etc)

I'd add to (2): "The West hates Russia and will never allow us to succeed, they are secretly working to betray us" and "Former SSRs miss the USSR."

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir John Falstaff posted:

There's a reddit list in the OP--I thought there was a specific SA donation thread, though?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

When you say flawed I assume you mean immoral? Because I'm not entirely sure it's flawed from his frame of reference.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Thanks!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Telsa Cola posted:

To be clear I (maybe we, I dunno) aren't calling out people in the States for not dropping everything and going to Ukraine to fight. I/we are saying its pretty drat bullshit that people are basically saying they should give up and there's nothing worth dying for.

But I dunno my family dealt with slavery, political purges, and the holocaust so I'm probably pretty biased on the whole thing.

I think it depends on what people are fighting for and if you're trained to help. Is it worth it if you have no useful skills other than being the bait and possibly getting in the way?

Sometimes fleeing and surviving is the correct choice. That said, I think going forward, countries around Russia should consider having mandatory military training if the 21st century is going to be a bloody one.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Calmly explaining this to the russian armor coming to detain dissidents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would specifically take issue with the idea that "it's an individual decision" when the entire thread demonstrates that there is a powerful social pressure at the moment cheering on and encouraging the fight. Which I'm not going to complain about because, like, I really don't expect anything else.

But specifically at the very least, the idea of there being some government official on the ground with a pile of guns telling any kid who walks up to take one and die for their country while the whole world eggs them on...

That doesn't feel like an individual decision to me. That feels like someone being eaten by the moment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

karasu posted:

Can you or whoever brought it up source the fact that SWIFT is on the table, in particular Germany's apprehension weakening?

Just listened to an interview of foreign minister Annalena Baerbock mentioning SWIFT sanctions would have unintended consequences, the example she quoted was "what about hypothetical Russian parents supporting their daughter studying in Europe with a monthly allowance". That justification will surely go over well...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/25/germany-opens-door-barring-russia-swift-interbank-/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
a point from authoritarianism theory - in non-totalitarian state, the government still has to be a little responsive to constituency pressures; the dictator does not have oligarchs because he works for them, or for nebulous Capital; the dictator has oligarchs because nobody particularly likes kleptocratic oligarchs and he can have them replaced at any time by mobilizing those constituencies against them (with charges of embezzlement, profiteering, etc.). This makes the oligarchs unable to pose a serious challenge.

(same reasons such countries can favour ethnic minorities or other vulnerable demographics for those roles)

the contemporary institutional movement toward personal targeted sanctions is a policy that enables some form of international relations idealism, but don't confuse that with necessarily encouraging a swerve in policy; it mainly satiates a domestic demand for justice and action. If a satisfying response fails to materialize subsequently in the upcoming news cycles, there may be an appetite for something more concrete (e.g., freedom of navigation convoys, as suggested upthread).

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Shes Not Impressed posted:

NATO jets and ships on high alert does feel like an escalation I wasn't expecting.
They really do seem spooked by Belarus' role in all this.

What exactly have changed? US tankers have been circling in Romania and Poland from day one, probably keeping CAPs up (some speculate Ukrainian fighters as well) 24/7.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I would specifically take issue with the idea that "it's an individual decision" when the entire thread demonstrates that there is a powerful social pressure at the moment cheering on and encouraging the fight. Which I'm not going to complain about because, like, I really don't expect anything else.

Not to mention mandatory conscription. It's not really an individual decision at that point.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

This is :kiss:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Watch Germany trigger Article 5 over Ukraine. :laffo:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Josef bugman posted:

Almost every single positive thing in the world was only achieved once people were willing to die for it. I can't think of anything where this wasn't the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

I’ll take it.

I also think that he is getting old a having terminal boomer brain and he thinks he will make Russia a super duper power if they gobble up enough old territory.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nms:
https://twitter.com/euromaydan/status/1497260971450056705?s=21

Bunch of charred bodies of Russian soldiers and a cursing Ukrainian soldier filming it. North West of Kyiv.

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 25, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Germany and Italy have switched; who else is left in the EU that opposes a SWIFT ban?
2. I imagine international shipping will get redirected away from Ukrainian waters as sanctions mount against the Russians sinking cargo ships?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

1. Germany and Italy have switched; who else is left in the EU that opposes a SWIFT ban?
2. I imagine international shipping will get redirected away from Ukrainian waters as sanctions mount against the Russians sinking cargo ships?

Austria?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

:siren: For those of you interested to explore more donation options than what’s already compiled, I’ll be publishing an updated Ukrainian charity compilation in 2-3 hours. I’ll link to the post here as well, when it’s up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheRat posted:

When you say flawed I assume you mean immoral? Because I'm not entirely sure it's flawed from his frame of reference.

Both immoral and non-optimal over the long term. It's the classic reasoning of a narcissistic sociopath and narcissistic sociopaths can be individually quite successful but over the long term and across society everyone is better off if nobody does that poo poo.

More and more lately I tend to see the prisoner's dilemma as the central metaphor for human society as a whole. There are a lot of ways people can gain short term advantage for themselves by collapsing it, but we're all better off when we don't.

Even, in this case, Putin, who's putting himself at non-negligible personal risk here!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Josef bugman posted:

What about dying to prevent the deaths of others that you care about or who can't protect themselves? Putin has a history of killing undesirables, would you let your LGTBQ friends and family be disappeared rather than fight for your country?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly dont think they planned this through.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497205001302814721

yeah my cousin works in media analysis with foreign interference and etc and she says outside some tankies, the only people supporting the russians are trumpists.

I know political parties shift over time, but the idea of a registered member of the US Republican Party rooting for Russia in a war they declared on a European country is completely and utterly incomprehensible to me. Those words are just mush in my brain like "Pizza Tim left orangutan"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CommieGIR posted:

Could someone paste/type the "go gently caress yourself" (I know it wasn't literal) part in Ukrainian?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Hungarian state media started to "analyze" the war on state TV tonight. Some fun bullet points:
- Ukraine started the war
- Zelenskyy compared to Hitler (arming women and children)
- Russian soldiers are calm and professional
- Ukraine tried to start World War 3 by asking Turkey to close the Bosphorus
- Russian troops captured Chernobyl so that it wont get attacked
I thought Orban agreed with sanctions earlier. Is this 'official' line that they present to Hungarians or just some overzealous useful idiots on state TV?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Trump posted:

What exactly have changed? US tankers have been circling in Romania and Poland from day one, probably keeping CAPs up (some speculate Ukrainian fighters as well) 24/7.

I don't have access to NATO intelligence. It's literally my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Would you mind giving this an NMS