Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

It tends to give a slight tin taste to food wrapped in it, which is a major reason it has largely been replaced by aluminium and other materials for wrapping food.

Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't speak for everywhere, but aluminum foil is just way too many syllables, everyone says tin foil even though we know it's not made of tin just because it's easier to say and nobody would know what you were talking about if you said "alfoil".

In a place where "tin foil" never took off I'd imagine you'd hear "alfoil" a lot more often as people naturally shorten aluminum foil into something more weildly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Danish, God's own language, it's called sølvpapir, which literally means silver paper. Or stanniol, but people who say that are weird.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MyronMulch posted:

You can get a start by searching for "blind corner" organizers or pull-outs.

Yep that's the correct thing, thanks. I found some for sale that are a complete setup like this

In my case it's hinged on the left side individually, without the pole like here so I thought they'd be separate. Maybe aliexpress would have the idividual parts.

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to make a plastic thing work to touch a capacitive screen? Like a tape or a little nubbin I can stick on?

Thinking of making a button pusher robot but I don’t know how to make it work with a touchscreen.
Use a hotdog for your robot toucher needs

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to make a plastic thing work to touch a capacitive screen? Like a tape or a little nubbin I can stick on?

Thinking of making a button pusher robot but I don’t know how to make it work with a touchscreen.

It's been a while, but one of my friends in university home made his own stylus, and he bought capacitive foam from .... Somewhere. I think you need to approximate flesh's capacitance (100pF from a very brief search).

The foam was nice because it was something you'd be able to cut to size.

I can't be arsed to find a link to it, but I know it existed in 2012.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I want to reduce the acidity of my coffee. I already use a dark roast and some half and half. My understanding is that both milk and cream have a ph in the 6.5-6.8 range, whereas coffee is around 5.0. Does this mean that if say I have 10 parts coffee and one part half/half, that the ph will change in a manner proportional to the half/half amount?

like if we use 5.0 and 6.7, we get 5.0 + (6.7/10) = 5.67 ph

otherwise, I've heard doing cold brew helps? I like iced coffee but obviously that's different.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

actionjackson posted:

I want to reduce the acidity of my coffee. I already use a dark roast and some half and half. My understanding is that both milk and cream have a ph in the 6.5-6.8 range, whereas coffee is around 5.0. Does this mean that if say I have 10 parts coffee and one part half/half, that the ph will change in a manner proportional to the half/half amount?

otherwise, I've heard doing cold brew helps? I like iced coffee but obviously that's different.

Are you trying to reduce the acidity of your coffee because it's giving you reflux or is this an alkaline diet thing because if it is the latter save yourself a whole bunch of hassle and stop it now because it's complete horseshit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Inceltown posted:

Are you trying to reduce the acidity of your coffee because it's giving you reflux or is this an alkaline diet thing because if it is the latter save yourself a whole bunch of hassle and stop it now because it's complete horseshit.

a bit of reflux

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
pH is a logarithmic scale, meaning at it's simplest, a solution with a pH of 6 is ten times as acidic as one with a neutral pH of 7. However, in pretty much all real world circumstances (not just adding strong acids and bases directly to each other) neutralization is a lot more complicated due to the presence of pH buffers. Basically buffers neutralize the addition of other acids/bases and tend to keep a solution in a specific range unless they are overwhelmed. Both coffee and especially milk (or half-and-half in your case) have some pretty convoluted buffers present within them that probably interact in a very difficult to predict way. So tl;dr, no adding it like that will not change the pH in that (or really any numerically predictable) manner. Your tastebuds will be your best gauge of how succesful your experiments are at neutalizing the acidity of coffee short of buying a pH probe.

To answer the other part, I'm not a coffee snob but cold brew is definitely less acidic. The type of coffee might also contribute, I got some really good Turkish coffee that is super smooth and not acidic at all. I feel like water temperature and the amount of time you let it steep and/or sit after brewing also can contribute greatly to acidity.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i don't like coldbrew but it's only because it would make it too easy for me to drink more coffee than I should. if I have to put effort into making more I'm less likely to do it on a whim.

the one I drink, being a dark roast, says "low acid coffee" and acidity of "smooth" vs. a light or medium roast which usually says "crisp."

I suppose it's safe to assume that when you add half/half the pH increases, but no way to say how much without actual measurement.

otherwise I heat the water in an electric kettle which automatically does 200 for coffee. then I use a pour over.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 6, 2022

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Milk and cream definitely will reduce acidity, but not in a simple way like that. You don't really need to know the pH of your coffee though, experimenting and keeping track of what gives you less acid reflux should be fine.

I've read that you can add a quarter tablespoon of baking soda to your pot of coffee and it'll reduce acidity without affecting the taste noticeably, but I'm not a coffee guy so I can't say for sure if it's noticeable or not.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i've also read the same thing about... eggshells?

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean eggshells are probably pretty basic but baking soda costs essentially nothing and it's easier to put it in your coffee than breaking and cleaning out an eggshell every time you drink coffee. Is it supposed to dissolve on it's own or do you just drink around it? I don't think they float so I guess you could do that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've never looked at ph levels, but anecdotally I've found both Aeropress and Chemex filters are a lot easier on the stomach. With french press being the worst. It's also going to depend on the beans, of course.

Yes, I have like 5 different ways to make coffee and am shopping for an espresso machine. I may have a problem.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Well, nearly the whole of adult humanity is addicted to caffeine, so you're not the only one.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
There was a post somewhere in the last few years in which the poster laid out why a car (EV) would never be able to fully charge its batteries and do its daily driving using solar panels on the car itself.

Just based on the raw energy (in joules) that the sun delivers in even a 100% efficient panel, and the amount of energy it takes to move X amount of weight, it turned out to not be feasible at all.

Does anyone else also remember that post and know where to find it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an easy calculation.

Let’s go with a Tesla Model 3’s specifications.

Length: 4.694 m
Width: 1.849 m

That’s an area of eight and two‐thirds square metres.

In the Atacama Desert, you might get 7.2 kW·Hr per square metre per day of total radiation in the photovoltaic‐usable band. For our car’s area, that’s sixty‐four and a half kilowatt hours per day.

The Model 3 has been sold with batteries as small as fifty‐four kilowatt hours, so technically you could barely charge it in one day, in the most favorable location on Earth, with solar panels of impossible efficiency, that covered the entire bounding box of the car and tracked the Sun.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

another food question that I've never understood - table 1 of this paper mentions grains under non/minimally processed foods, and "breads" under ultra processed. what differentiates grains and breads?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785287/pdf/bmjopen-2015-009892.pdf

for example if I buy a loaf of wonder bread or something, yeah that's clearly processed. But what about say freshly made bagels? This is assuming you are talking about ones that don't have obvious sugar added like cinnamon raisin ones. Like, plain, or ones with seeds.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

another food question that I've never understood - table 1 of this paper mentions grains under non/minimally processed foods, and "breads" under ultra processed. what differentiates grains and breads?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785287/pdf/bmjopen-2015-009892.pdf

for example if I buy a loaf of wonder bread or something, yeah that's clearly processed. But what about say freshly made bagels? This is assuming you are talking about ones that don't have obvious sugar added like cinnamon raisin ones. Like, plain, or ones with seeds.

Even if you make the most wholesome bagel possible, the processing you do to the grains (to turn it into flour) breaks it down and makes the energy more easily accessible to digestion, and often removes other factors of healthiness. Eating those grains more-or-less untouched (like the stuff sprinkled on your bagel) makes it harder for your body to break them down, so you get less energy out of it.

Edit: "processed food" is colloquially used to refer to all of the extra unnecessary stuff that tends to get added to modern food, but technically it also refers to a lot of much more benign stuff we do to food to make it less raw

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 6, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Brewing method and technique can significantly reduce the acidity of a cup of coffee. Your standard plug in coffee maker will create super acidic stuff because they work way too fast and hot.

Get a pour over kettle with a temperature control and use a chemex or an aeropress. When you brew keep the temperature under 200 degrees) In general lower temperatures with longer extract times will get you a lower acidity coffee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's all about the quinic acid level.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Platystemon posted:

It’s an easy calculation.

Let’s go with a Tesla Model 3’s specifications.

Length: 4.694 m
Width: 1.849 m

That’s an area of eight and two‐thirds square metres.

In the Atacama Desert, you might get 7.2 kW·Hr per square metre per day of total radiation in the photovoltaic‐usable band. For our car’s area, that’s sixty‐four and a half kilowatt hours per day.

The Model 3 has been sold with batteries as small as fifty‐four kilowatt hours, so technically you could barely charge it in one day, in the most favorable location on Earth, with solar panels of impossible efficiency, that covered the entire bounding box of the car and tracked the Sun.

Thanks! This is the kind of calculation that I was looking for!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

Brewing method and technique can significantly reduce the acidity of a cup of coffee. Your standard plug in coffee maker will create super acidic stuff because they work way too fast and hot.

Get a pour over kettle with a temperature control and use a chemex or an aeropress. When you brew keep the temperature under 200 degrees) In general lower temperatures with longer extract times will get you a lower acidity coffee.

I use a pour over, which looks to be the same design as a chemex

my electric water kettle has specific temp settings which are for various tea types and coffee - the options are 140, 160, 175, coffee (200), and 212. Which would be best? thanks.

dupersaurus posted:

Even if you make the most wholesome bagel possible, the processing you do to the grains (to turn it into flour) breaks it down and makes the energy more easily accessible to digestion, and often removes other factors of healthiness. Eating those grains more-or-less untouched (like the stuff sprinkled on your bagel) makes it harder for your body to break them down, so you get less energy out of it.

Edit: "processed food" is colloquially used to refer to all of the extra unnecessary stuff that tends to get added to modern food, but technically it also refers to a lot of much more benign stuff we do to food to make it less raw

thanks, I guess I thought it was weird to put all breads under "ultra-processed." seems kind of overkill.

would it be fair to say that if you wanted to avoid all added sugars, you could never eat any bread products?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 6, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

would it be fair to say that if you wanted to avoid all added sugars, you could never eat any bread products?

Depends on how you define "added sugars" since I think most/many breads require sugar as part of the recipe, but "added sugars" often means sugar added on top of that that many commercial breads add

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Oh neat, can confirm this is not placebo because I didn't do any reading and came to the same conclusion :v:

Fruits of the sea posted:

anecdotally I've found both Aeropress and Chemex filters are a lot easier on the stomach.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I use a pour over, which looks to be the same design as a chemex

my electric water kettle has specific temp settings which are for various tea types and coffee - the options are 140, 160, 175, coffee (200), and 212. Which would be best? thanks.

thanks, I guess I thought it was weird to put all breads under "ultra-processed." seems kind of overkill.

I'd say 200 is fine, but extraction time and grind are the other half of the equation here.

What's the grind of coffee you use?

With a pour over the amount of time the grind spends in the water is mostly fixed so the only way to control acidity is with the grind. (Finer = more likely to extract acids, but if you go too coarse you'll get sour and weak coffee that doesn't taste as good)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

actionjackson posted:

200. Those lower temps will definitely under-extract in a pour-over setup.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

EricBauman posted:

There was a post somewhere in the last few years in which the poster laid out why a car (EV) would never be able to fully charge its batteries and do its daily driving using solar panels on the car itself.

Just based on the raw energy (in joules) that the sun delivers in even a 100% efficient panel, and the amount of energy it takes to move X amount of weight, it turned out to not be feasible at all.

Does anyone else also remember that post and know where to find it?

That might have been me, you could try searching for posts by me in this thread, with the term solar panel. Or you could use the perfectly good answer that was already posted.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder how horrible it would taste if you dropped an alka-seltzer into your coffee to neutralize the acid.

But who knows, maybe hot fizzy drinks are the next big thing.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

200. Those lower temps will definitely under-extract in a pour-over setup.

And buy some of the Chemex natural square filters. I personally feel like my coffee is much easier on my sensitive tummy than almost any other source. Strangely the cheapest place I’ve found them is a pack of 200 from Ace Hardware online in the states.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

I'd say 200 is fine, but extraction time and grind are the other half of the equation here.

What's the grind of coffee you use?

With a pour over the amount of time the grind spends in the water is mostly fixed so the only way to control acidity is with the grind. (Finer = more likely to extract acids, but if you go too coarse you'll get sour and weak coffee that doesn't taste as good)

I think it's pretty fine, but I can get whole bean and not grind it as fine.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Depends on how you define "added sugars" since I think most/many breads require sugar as part of the recipe, but "added sugars" often means sugar added on top of that that many commercial breads add

Most bread should absolutely not require added sugar. Basic bread is literally just flour, water, salt and yeast (sourdough is yeast), and anything else is optional. Savory bread should have no sugar (looking at you Americans and Swedes).
But if you're worried about sugar, maybe you want to worry a bit about general carbohydrates, which flour (and thus bread) contains a lot of.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Some bread will have a bit of sugar, but it's usually no more than 1-2 tablespoons in a loaf. Even Subway, which is probably as sweet/sugary as bread will ever get, has like 6g of sugar in a footlong (compare to 39g for a can of coke). Basically if you're worried about sugar specifically, bread can be pretty low on the list.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Commercially mass-produced bread uses sugar pretty often though. Sugar is pretty much pure energy, so It helps the yeast to grow and become active much faster than they would if they were only feeding off of flour. Less time waiting for dough to rise means more money!

It's even useful if you want to speed up making bread at home. Combine the yeast with the water (warm / room temperature) and a bit of sugar, then wait for the bowl of soupy yeast mixture to get all bubbly (~10-15 minutes) before adding the flour/salt. That way the yeast will be a lot more active and your dough will start rising sooner. (You can also just use some of the flour from the recipe instead of sugar, which will have a similar but less dramatic effect. )

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Commercially mass-produced bread uses sugar pretty often though. Sugar is pretty much pure energy, so It helps the yeast to grow and become active much faster than they would if they were only feeding off of flour. Less time waiting for dough to rise means more money!

It's even useful if you want to speed up making bread at home. Combine the yeast with the water (warm / room temperature) and a bit of sugar, then wait for the bowl of soupy yeast mixture to get all bubbly before adding the flour/salt. That way the yeast will be a lot more active and your dough will start rising sooner. (You can also just use some of the flour from the recipe instead of sugar, which will have a similar but less dramatic effect. )

Yeah but this approach is usually like a hefty pinch (a tsp or so) of sugar in an entire loaf, still a pretty low amount of added sugar.

Some rolls or breads do involve substantial added sugar or honey for sweetness in a semi-sweet sort of bread, but that's usually the exception and not the norm.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's even useful if you want to speed up making bread at home. Combine the yeast with the water (warm / room temperature) and a bit of sugar, then wait for the bowl of soupy yeast mixture to get all bubbly (~10-15 minutes) before adding the flour/salt. That way the yeast will be a lot more active and your dough will start rising sooner. (You can also just use some of the flour from the recipe instead of sugar, which will have a similar but less dramatic effect. )

This is how I learned to make bread. Two loaves of bread is about 6 C flour and 3 Tbsp sugar (following my grandmother's recipe).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder how horrible it would taste if you dropped an alka-seltzer into your coffee to neutralize the acid.

But who knows, maybe hot fizzy drinks are the next big thing.

Alternatively, one could chew up and swallow a Tums before or after drinking a cup of coffee.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Drink less coffee

Seriously, if drinking coffee is giving you acid reflux and you respond to that by asking the internet how to chemicallly engineer it so you can keep drinking your coffee.. that’s some tweaker behaviour buddy

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just take caffeine pills, they're more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use Sumatran beans for my coffee specifically because it’s a lower acid bean than most. Cold brew should also make a big difference.