Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I can't imagine a scenario in which I would get that much multiplayer gaming done.

Although I'll probably get about 100 plays of vs 2pcg in.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah we're fortunate to have a few groups of friends into a variety of gaming and we also play a game or two a night over dinner usually. That combined with a few conventions and gaming weekends with friends in a cabin means I get a lot played. Not counting digital plays this year I'm somewhere in the 350-400 range of plays, with about 1/3-1/2 of those being unique games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I need a couple more 18xx to make a 10x10 of only 18xx. The real challenging part will be to accomplish 10 plays of C2C in a single year.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm taking baby steps. My 2019 8x1 list is:

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg
Cataclysm
Charlemagne Master of Europe
A Distant Plain
Here I Stand
Pericles
Sidereal Confluence
Supply Lines of the American Revolution

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I need to come up with a list, but I think it’s going to be something like

1x20 Gloomhaven
10x10 2P games
5x5 Strategy favorites? I’d like to aim for 10x10 but I just don’t think that will happen with my group

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

My way more modest goal is to play any strategy-heavy game with 3+ players enough times to actually have a strategy and execute it.

:negative:

On the plus side, I'll probably have tons of plays in of 2 player and kids games! :eng101:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my unrealistic goal is to have at least one Big drat Strategy Game Day a month with stuff like SidCon, Estates, etc.

my actual goal is to finally play my copy of Gallerist I've owned for literal years and never played

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My goal is to actually play games more than once in a while. Don't have kids!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

silvergoose posted:

:same:

Trying to get back to the weekly board-game nights that I haven't been to since March would be great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

silvergoose posted:

Amen! I haven't had a good day of boardgaming since my second was born. I'm hoping that it's the price to pay for having regular family gaming nights a decade+ from now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
one is 5 the other is 2, still haven't managed to get board game nights or even peaceful pre-bed reading time back on schedule

parenting is probably what happens when you go to hell

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

one is 5 the other is 2, still haven't managed to get board game nights or even peaceful pre-bed reading time back on schedule

Mine are 3, 7, and 8. When the little one is occupied with one of the older girls, I can sneak off with the other girl to play Queendomino. If the little one is out, I can play Dungeon Petz with the older two (though they aren't good at it yet).

So if you want to start playing more games, you just need to wait 5 years and - this is the crucial part - stop having kids in the meantime.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

One just turned 4, the other is 1.5 here. The 4 year old can play Catan Junior, Indigo, Animal Upon Animal, Robot Turtles, and a few other simple ones. She loves playing them with me.

The 1 year old just takes components and tries to hide them around the room. Not very conducive to gaming.

I still manage to get game nights in when the stars align and at least 2 of my 4 friends that are willing to play board games are free on a night, which probably happens once every other week.

Monday night games at a local bar just started up recently too, which I can get to for a few hours, but it's a crapshoot with randos.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

The 1 year old just takes components and tries to hide them around the room. Not very conducive to gaming.

Play Go with jumbo rug and jumbo pieces that won’t be swallowed. The 1yo can play more pieces when they’re found.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Countblanc posted:

my unrealistic goal is to have at least one Big drat Strategy Game Day a month with stuff like SidCon, Estates, etc.

my actual goal is to finally play my copy of Gallerist I've owned for literal years and never played

You will enjoy The Gallerist, or else.

My gaming goal is to play as many games as I played last year, and to slim my collection down a little.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If anyone has both, can someone tell me if Tokyo metro (or other Tokyo series, but at least Tokyo) can comfortably fit inside the Tokyo Highway box?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Best I've done with my 2 year old is play Picture Map, where you get all the Carcassonne tiles and put them together trying to match roads and cities.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

If anyone has both, can someone tell me if Tokyo metro (or other Tokyo series, but at least Tokyo) can comfortably fit inside the Tokyo Highway box?

Going by memory of the boxes at Gencon I want to say no but don’t quote me on that

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My group is doing a 100xsplotter challenge, starting with greed inc on Wednesday

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What is the consensus on Age of Steam?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Ropes4u posted:

What is the consensus on Age of Steam?

Great system, make sure you play a map suited for your player count

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I've just gotten Orleans for Christmas and had a few plays.

It really feels like the first half of the game plays out almost identically for all players.

As far as I can tell, everyone should be doing the following:
- First turn, getting a Craftsman and automating the Village
- Getting Knights until you have at least 7 pulls a turn
- Constantly dumping tokens into Beneficial Deeds so you have close to 9 tokens in your bag

There's some jostling over other bits and pieces, but it mostly feels like point salad tactical maneuvering when I was hoping for some deeper gameplay.

Can anyone else comment?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Village (and its expansions) is currently having a deep sale over at CSI and I'm waffling on whether to give it a shot. SUSD heartily recommends it and its Inn expansion and at this deep a discount the temptation is noticeable, but I'm struggling to get past its dry theme. Anyone here have any experiences with at least base game Village?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a 3 year old who always wants to play the games with us. Basically she wants a player board and pieces and lines them up where they are suppose to go and loves to sit and roll her one pink die she got at "daddys" games store over and over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bobvonunheil posted:

I've just gotten Orleans for Christmas and had a few plays.

It really feels like the first half of the game plays out almost identically for all players.

As far as I can tell, everyone should be doing the following:
- First turn, getting a Craftsman and automating the Village
- Getting Knights until you have at least 7 pulls a turn
- Constantly dumping tokens into Beneficial Deeds so you have close to 9 tokens in your bag

There's some jostling over other bits and pieces, but it mostly feels like point salad tactical maneuvering when I was hoping for some deeper gameplay.

Can anyone else comment?

Yeah base game pretty much plays the same. Farmers are worthless, the book/trade track is strong. I had sunk cost feelings due to deluxe edition and liking the stuff in intrigue so bought it. Opens up the game significantly and gives multiple incentives to traveling. Probably wouldn’t recommend it because of the need for the expansion; would suggest Endeavor instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rad Valtar posted:

I have a 3 year old who always wants to play the games with us. Basically she wants a player board and pieces and lines them up where they are suppose to go and loves to sit and roll her one pink die she got at "daddys" games store over and over.

Some friends of mine have a 5 year-old. Very chatty, adores one "aunt" who loves her back and they interact well (meanwhile I barely know what to do with adults), last time we played ticket to ride they were a team where the kid got to hold some cards (that the aunt didn't need at the moment) and she just did a great job of keeping the kid entertained without being disruptive.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

My board game resolutions this year are: to finally open my copy of Napoleon's Triumph and play it, and to trim my collection.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Best I've done with my 2 year old is play Picture Map, where you get all the Carcassonne tiles and put them together trying to match roads and cities.

Yeah, I've done the same. It's pretty fun for the kid. We took turns, drawing a tile, and figuring out where to put it in the map. I might start adding points to it, where you get one point per adjacent tile, just to make it more game-y, and encourage her to try and find the 'best' spots.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My board game resolution is to get down to 300 games not counting expansions. Stretch goal is 200.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Village (and its expansions) is currently having a deep sale over at CSI and I'm waffling on whether to give it a shot. SUSD heartily recommends it and its Inn expansion and at this deep a discount the temptation is noticeable, but I'm struggling to get past its dry theme. Anyone here have any experiences with at least base game Village?

Don’t get it. It hasn’t aged well and at its heart it’s a very generic euro with not enough to recommend it. The meeples ageing out is interesting and the best part of the game but IMO there’s so much competition in its space (medium length/low complexity/low interaction worker placement euros) that it’s just not as good as many other games of similar length, depth and mechanics.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This reminds me: how did Caylus age? Is it worth getting now?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Caylus is still both unique and highly interactive, the two things most MWEs need to be worth it. Definitely worth it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah base game pretty much plays the same. Farmers are worthless, the book/trade track is strong. I had sunk cost feelings due to deluxe edition and liking the stuff in intrigue so bought it. Opens up the game significantly and gives multiple incentives to traveling. Probably wouldn’t recommend it because of the need for the expansion; would suggest Endeavor instead.

You don't need the full expansion to make Orleans more varied than you make out, just Neue Ortskarten 1. Traveling becomes much more useful and competitive with the Bakery added to the mix, as you can convert Wheat to a 3-point good. If you pick up the Sacristy and keep a Monk on it to cancel Taxation the heavy goods strategy becomes much more viable without hoping two copies come out by turn 6. Combine the two and suddenly Farmers look a lot stronger. The only thing I never saw anyone try in the base game was a deep Boatman strategy - Boatmen are really weak.

Intrigue, on the other hand, absolutely transforms the game. If they ever do Orleans 2E they need to incorporate the new Events and BD board into the base game.

Seconding that Caylus is still great. You wouldn't believe it was one of the first worker placement games.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Speaking about children: recommendations for games that can be played by kids, but still enjoyed by adults as well?

Kids in question are 2 8-year olds, and one, um, 6-year old I guess? There's also a bunch of adults, like 5 or so. Not every game needs to be able to accommodate everyone, but it would be nice to have at least one game that can - if such a beast exists.

Obviously kids get older too, so games that are fit for the same group but one or two years later would be nice too. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

uXs posted:

Kids in question are 2 8-year olds, and one, um, 6-year old I guess? There's also a bunch of adults, like 5 or so. Not every game needs to be able to accommodate everyone, but it would be nice to have at least one game that can - if such a beast exists.
Lots of gateway games start to be possible around that age (depending on the kid).

Sushi Go Party works with large groups, has cute artwork, is cheap, and is pretty easy to understand and teach.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Papes posted:

Great system, make sure you play a map suited for your player count

We played the standard map with four people. We got trounced by a friend but the game was enjoyable enough that I will look for a copy.

Yesterday I also played Spirit Island solo with Shadows Flicker Like Flame and Lightnings Swift Strike, losing when all the blight was placed on the island. I should have paid attention to the warning the Lightning needs a defensive partner but I also don't think those two spirits jive with my play style. I may try a pairing of Vital Strength of the earth and Tunderspeaker. Spirit Island is by far one of my favorite games and I should not have waited so long to get it in my collection.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

uXs posted:

Speaking about children: recommendations for games that can be played by kids, but still enjoyed by adults as well?

I play games almost exclusively with non-gamers, so filter my post through that lens.

My six-year-old has crushed me in Kingdomino on more than one occasion. She's also pretty good at filler games like Roll For It and Vegas, both of which are beloved by my in-laws who don't speak much English and prefer non-language-dependent games. Vegas plays five and Roll For It can play eight if you combine the red and purple boxes. (The key thing with five adults and three kids will be speed of play - you'll have to give the grown-ups about ten seconds to make their decisions, because the kids will get crazy bored if they're waiting more than sixty seconds in between their turns. You wouldn't think games like those two could give someone AP, but it happens.)

We also have a dexterity game called Coconuts that's been a big hit with everyone who's ever played it. I imagine dexterity games fit your needs very well; the kids will probably thump you more than you're comfortable admitting. Coconuts plays up to four, but you could play two teams of four if you wanted.

My six-year-old also has her head all the way around Dragonwood, a game where you play cards and roll dice to capture monsters that are worth differing numbers of points. The thread would probably hate it (single market row, dice chucking, etc) but for a mixed group of kids and adults it's a good move. It only plays up to four people, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

We played the standard map with four people. We got trounced by a friend but the game was enjoyable enough that I will look for a copy.

Yesterday I also played Spirit Island solo with Shadows Flicker Like Flame and Lightnings Swift Strike, losing when all the blight was placed on the island. I should have paid attention to the warning the Lightning needs a defensive partner but I also don't think those two spirits jive with my play style. I may try a pairing of Vital Strength of the earth and Tunderspeaker. Spirit Island is by far one of my favorite games and I should not have waited so long to get it in my collection.

Shadows Flicker is a bit on the weak side in general, particularly in smaller games, so having a rough time is par for the course.

(Lightning is pretty good, but REALLY wants support, which Shadows notably doesn't provide.)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TheNakedJimbo posted:

My six-year-old also has her head all the way around Dragonwood, a game where you play cards and roll dice to capture monsters that are worth differing numbers of points. The thread would probably hate it (single market row, dice chucking, etc) but for a mixed group of kids and adults it's a good move. It only plays up to four people, though.

Market row games are probably a good recommendation in general. You have some minor decision making to do, but the game is highly random and lacks long-term strategy, so the kids aren't bowled over by the adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

We play Machi Koro (BLBC) with the kids a lot. It's not my favorite game but I haven't had any kids who couldn't get it. Sushi Go Party is a fave. I've gotten some mileage out of Century: Golems, but better players are always going to win, so it depends on how your kids do with that.