Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Here is a lazy AI translation, mostly comprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the finns are serving pastries? thats our job!!! :argh:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

Here is a lazy AI translation, mostly comprehensible.

but i can help... i speak portuguese... :eng99:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 21, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Peru (Peru)

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Space Kablooey posted:

but i can help... i speak portuguese... :eng99:
Sorry for stepping on your toes, especially with AI crap, but I didn't think you were going to translate the entire thing. Like I didn't figure it was worth the time to clean up the translation either.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the finns are serving pastries? thats our job!!! :argh:

We can't all be Wieners.

Also Finnish pastries are savoury

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groda posted:

If you've never been to Canada, you've probably only met Canadians in "Canada" shirts.

let's be real, if you've been to Canada you've only met canadians in Canada shirts.

demonstrating how absolutely not-USA you are via clothing is behind only hockey, CFL, and being mad that the québécois

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Turkey (the bird) is peru in Portuguese. Should be the other way around as well but alas it ain't.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

CommonShore posted:

I can't read the Portuguese, but the modern word "Penguin" or its roots, originally referred to the Great Auk, a now extinct Arctic bird.

Yeah pen gwyn means white head in welsh and was the name for the great auk. Supposedly the penguin was named so by welsh whalers.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah pen gwyn means white head in welsh and was the name for the great auk. Supposedly the penguin was named so by welsh whalers.

It’s still like that in French (maybe other Romance languages), "pingouin" even today specifically and uniquely refers to northern hemisphere birds, while manchot is used for the southern hemisphere birds.

Although people in French also often refer to penguins as "pingouins", even though it’s a false friend, as penguins are actually "manchots". Kind of like the camel vs dromedary difference, although I think maybe in English those are full synonyms (?).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Saladman posted:

It’s still like that in French (maybe other Romance languages), "pingouin" even today specifically and uniquely refers to northern hemisphere birds, while manchot is used for the southern hemisphere birds.

Although people in French also often refer to penguins as "pingouins", even though it’s a false friend, as penguins are actually "manchots". Kind of like the camel vs dromedary difference, although I think maybe in English those are full synonyms (?).

sort of, at least in North America "dromedary camel" is what I'd call a dromadaire and if you mean what I'd call a chameau it's a bactrian camel. Which is their official latin species names so a rare win for english?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In software dev variable naming we have the following types:

- snake_case
- kebab-case
- CamelCase (two bumps)
- dromedaryCase (one bump)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

In software dev variable naming we have the following types:

- snake_case
- kebab-case
- CamelCase (two bumps)
- dromedaryCase (one bump)

Sounds like woke poo poo.

Actually it's

- markqueues (e.g. A$, B$, AA$, etc.)
- numericals (e.g. A, B, AA, etc.; I, J, etc. if it's for a loop IDK why it's just so)
- ??? (TI$, TI)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Physicists and mathematicians should not be allowed to write code.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sounds like woke poo poo.

Actually it's

- markqueues (e.g. A$, B$, AA$, etc.)
- numericals (e.g. A, B, AA, etc.; I, J, etc. if it's for a loop IDK why it's just so)
- ??? (TI$, TI)

What a BASIC b*tch.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm a fan of javaland's Object object = new Object()

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ungulates who can withstand harsh climates > computers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If a dromedary and a bactrian gently caress do you get fractional hump counts?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

What a BASIC b*tch.

You don't write b*tch files in BASIC, dummy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ungulates who can withstand harsh climates > computers

i was curious about the australian camels, and

quote:

From the 1860s onward small groups of mainly Muslim cameleers were shipped in and out of Australia at three-year intervals, to service South Australia's inland pastoral industry. Carting goods and transporting wool bales by camel was a lucrative livelihood for them. As their knowledge of the Australian outback and economy increased, the cameleers began their own businesses, importing and running camel trains. By 1890 the camel business was dominated by the mostly Muslim merchants and brokers, commonly referred to as "Afghans" or "Ghans", despite their origin often being British India, as well as Afghanistan and Egypt and Turkey. They belonged to four main groups: Pashtuns, Baluchis, Punjabis, and Sindhis. At least 15,000 camels with their handlers are estimated to have come to Australia between 1870 and 1900.

The introduction of the Immigration Restriction Act 1901 and the White Australia policy made it more difficult for cameleers to enter Australia.[15]

With the departure of many cameleers in the early 20th century, and the introduction of motorised transportation in the 1920s and 1930s, some cameleers released their camels into the wild. Well suited to the arid conditions of Central Australia, these camels became the source for the large population of feral camels still existing today.[citation needed].
Why is it always Racism

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i was curious about the australian camels, and

Why is it always Racism

There's also lots of "dem aborigines should just hunt camels for meat instead of eating imported beef paid for with their benefits" that I've heard from various Australian vox pops about it. (am not Australian, I was just curious as well)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

If a dromedary and a bactrian gently caress do you get fractional hump counts?

No, it depends on which species is the mother and which is the father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_camel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:thunk:

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
US being the spiritual successor state of Ottoman Empire confirmed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I found a excuse to repost the wild hogs map

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/11/23/super-pigs-invading-us-from-canada-concerns/71681456007/

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, it depends on which species is the mother and which is the father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_camel

huh didn't know that camels wrestled too

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RIP, I wanted to say the US had a good run, but that would be a lie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

RIP, I wanted to say the US had a good run, but that would be a lie.

Worry not, they have the AR-15s to deal with all those feral hogs

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What was that goon that hunted hogs with a spear

I wonder what's he up to these days

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Space Kablooey posted:

What was that goon that hunted hogs with a spear

I wonder what's he up to these days

Somebody found him on Reddit a while back posting chuddy poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm pretty sure he got permabanned for something of that nature too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I still maintain that they had it coming for the Massacre of the Latins in 1182. Never Forget™

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What a surprise. The absolute psycho who relished torturing animals was a chud.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Is this the Hawaiian land goon or someone else who tortured animals with a spear

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can sorta respect killing something with a spear more than shooting it with a gun.

A gun is just a point-and-click adventure game where every puzzle is solved with death. With a spear you at least need to put some more work in and have a chance to get hosed up yourself.

still dumb.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ChaseSP posted:

Is this the Hawaiian land goon or someone else who tortured animals with a spear

different goon. He posted a whole thread of showing dead pigs splayed out into funny words and poo poo, smirking in front of them.

also didn't use a spear, it was gunwank with various high-calibre weapons from vehicles. There was no honourable combat.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
There was nothing respectable about what he did. I remember people linking to the thread a bunch back in the day and it was literally him all covered in mud torturing pigs in the swamp and then posing their bodies weirdly for the lolz.

Real sicko poo poo, but lots of posters thought it was epic and hilarious at the time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In fairness feral hogs are a goddamn menace in the US south and I am not going to quibble over what weapons and strategies are used to kill them.

But ethical hunting should always be done with the deliberate intention of inflicting as little pain as possible on your quarry and that was absolutely not what that guy was doing.

E: Haole commune goons were just too goddamn incompetent to kill pigs cleanly. I don't think that was malicious, just incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe the hogs terrorize you because you keep killing them with spears and various other polearms.