Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems even easier than that:

1. The developers hate Ben Lesnick and actively sabotage him.

sabotage one of their fellow developers? Perish the thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tippis posted:

Is there any part of this project that has/will not turn into a “gate”?
And so, wouldn't it be easier to predict the next few months of SC development by picking a random word in the dictionary (its relation to software development is secondary) and append a -gate to it?

Stargate would be perfect cause it's stolen from scifi and croberts is a loving hack.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

4 and 5 are moot if "marketing" isn't involved in "product management". Designers, modelers, product managers all fall under the "developer" side of the fence as far as I can see, insofar as "not being marketing".

6. I direct your attention to "what the gently caress is this chat box, this thing has got to go, this is horrible" on a livestream. He probably gets the changesets every morning and uses them to mop the splooge off his SQ42 script.

7 would be patently unbelievable, yes, except for it actually happening in full view of everyone, and I'll :allears: until the end of time at Ben because of it

4 and 5 are moot if marketing isn't involved in product management- but I think that's a pretty important point for people (whales) to consider going forward considering CIG seems very invested in convincing us that the marketing and development teams are very close: example 1 being all these stupid shows they produce.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm gonna go with the simplest explanation for Chairgate: it was an intentional move that everyone knew about, but they didn't want it to affect ship sales so they didn't tell the backers. They planned to "deal" with the fallout when it happened, knowing that with the cult they've built, it wouldn't matter in the long run anyway. :ms:

QFT. They know they can get away with anything short of cancelling the whole game outright & still have people defending them

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

that would make my day far too much for it to be ever true

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

he reminds me of the guy that comes up to my desk where a few people are at and says "looks like social hour has started huh"

i just feel like he would be actively really loving frustrating to deal with from the viewpoint of anyone IT related

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like he could never not say some cute-sy joke-y thing about what you are doing

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ZenMaster posted:

Reading it over and over it just sounds more and more ridiculous...

Some guy just decides to make a massive change and tells nobody... models it, debugs it, and sends it down the pipeline and no one catches it.

Can you imagine any other company doing that?

Also lol @ no function for the seat... I saw a ton of functions listed on the forums.

Also, just add another door on the other side so one person isn't blocked in... problem solved. How can you not think of that solution?

Oh yeah, they are lying.

The best part is that they already have a ship with two seats in tandem where one crew member has no function whatsoever.

It's the Cutlass.

It's been that way for over a year.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hav posted:

Kerberos did this after Sword of the Stars II. They're making mobile knockoffs these days. CiG take note. They only need *one* community manager.

making Sword of the Stars 2 had a lot more responsibility for their demise than anything to do with their forums!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1. They have so many ships and gameplay elements that are broken and will never reach anything like what they described as, and people payed lots of money for, that they have a hard time keeping track of them all. They literally sold $100 million on lies and they've finally reached the point where making any progress at all requires triaging the promises.

I think EightAce's talk about needing to trickle out bad news might have a lot more to it than just a missing chair.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

Stargate would be perfect cause it's stolen from scifi and croberts is a loving hack.

That will be when CIG announce that backers aren't getting any more systems than they currently have.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part is that they already have a ship with two seats in tandem where one crew member has no function whatsoever.

It's the Cutlass.

one day two people will be flying around in the verse and then all of the sudden the co-pilot is just going to bust his rear end when the chair disappears right out from under him

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm gonna go with the simplest explanation for Chairgate: it was an intentional move that everyone knew about, but they didn't want it to affect ship sales so they didn't tell the backers. They planned to "deal" with the fallout when it happened, knowing that with the cult they've built, it wouldn't matter in the long run anyway. :ms:

if they had that much leadup time to come up with an excuse then i really doubt they would have handled it as poorly as they did, tbh

i know a lot of people want to jump for "everything here is a scam" but i'd put money on a fair portion of everything below "sell jpegs for money" as incompetence and lack of communication

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know whether I like the thought of them outright lying about the chair because they realized they need to cut back on certain things

or
the thought that they honestly don't know what goes in what ship or what they promised, like someone asks 'how many chairs does this have' and its not written down anywhere so Chris Roberts just sends an email and is like its just a one person ship please model it so I can approve and unapprove it

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao at the citizens who fail to see the writing on the wall, you deserve to lose your money.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's the Cutlass.

Well the Cutlass has two seats in tandem with both having no use what so ever. Since the Cutlass is useless. Do you agree? Y / N / Maybe?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

I think EightAce's talk about needing to trickle out bad news might have a lot more to it than just a missing chair.

Yes, and it's all going to fall on Ben Lesnick.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

one day two people will be flying around in the verse and then all of the sudden the co-pilot is just going to bust his rear end when the chair disappears right out from under him

Having only a single seat randomly despawn would represent a great leap forward in engine stability

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if Chris Roberts actually does that

like inserts himself into design decisions like 1 chair vs 2 chairs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tortolia posted:

Having only a single seat randomly despawn would represent a great leap forward in engine stability

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
EightAce's posts and this recent chair thing have finally made the thread good again

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sunswipe posted:

Mousemats are still a thing?

How else do you expect your laser to roll properly?

Wafflz posted:

Hmm… yeah, that checks out. I'm going to say that it's not related to star systems, though, but rather that they've reused the stars from Freelancer, where you can turn on client-side god mode and bump into them with a very disappointing “clunk”.

I tried to pick a word and came up with lichengate. No idea how that would work, but I'm sure it'll happen anyway.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine finding out there is a shitstorm and having to figure out who to throw under the bus at your company

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Klyith posted:

did they even make any comment about it before it was in the hanger and people said "where the gently caress did our other chair go"

because if they were going to trickle bad news i'd think the expectation management would have started before then

which is another indication of "incompetence" over "malice", for me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo, we promised these guys a 2 seat ship, but its only got one seat

uh....X did it. Sorry for what X did guys, but its done, and there is no going back. You see, in design, once something is approved you don't 'unapprove' things. We hope you understand

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eonwe posted:

imagine finding out there is a shitstorm and having to figure out who to throw under the bus at your company

that's why you hire someone who's willing to throw himself under the bus for you instead

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eonwe posted:

EightAce's posts and this recent chair thing have finally made the thread good again

that's why this thread is great - you persevere and it inevitably turns good again

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's the Cutlass.

Yeah wtf is that seat for? The first time I tried to steal one of those I jumped into that seat and the commando just hopped into the real seat and took off. I had to jump into the turret and start shooting friendlies to have any fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

did they even make any comment about it before it was in the hanger and people said "where the gently caress did our other chair go"

because if they were going to trickle bad news i'd think the expectation management would have started before then

most people probably just ignored it because if they ever asked about it, they'd be told ITS JUST AN ALPHA, as if that means anything, and as if issues like that shouldn't still be reported

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Eonwe posted:

like the tide's ebb and flow, their ocean of incompetence laps at our shores

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

that's why you hire someone who's willing to throw himself under the bus for you instead

pulling a ben

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wafflz posted:

Yeah wtf is that seat for? The first time I tried to steal one of those I jumped into that seat and the commando just hopped into the real seat and took off. I had to jump into the turret and start shooting friendlies to have any fun.

you can't have the full effect of space hookers if the only seat for them is on the other side of the cabin, duh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

notoriousman posted:

like the tide's ebb and flow, their ocean of incompetence laps at our shores

sorry, CIG made an internal decision to only have ebb

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I don't think this particular instance is overt malice. I'd say there is incompetence involved, but the real word for this event, and CIG in general, is disregard. The fact that they don't care about anything except their backers' money doesn't elevate this into conspiracy theory territory - it just means that they just don't give a flying gently caress.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
CIG, where am I going to put my god drat realdoll at when I'm cruising the verse in my sword with wings

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think this particular instance is overt malice. I'd say there is incompetence involved, but the real word for this event, and CIG in general, is disregard. The fact that they don't care about anything except their backers' money doesn't elevate this into conspiracy theory territory - it just means that they just don't give a flying gently caress.

disregard is a very good word for this, especially since it includes "not caring enough to pretend to be competent"

just do whatever man it's cool

Eonwe posted:

CIG, where am I going to put my god drat realdoll at when I'm cruising the verse in my sword with wings

the real reason the backers are up in arms about the lack of grabby hands

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd agree with you, but I'd say it probably creeps into malice territory when they do things like just straight up change the web page like it never happened or throw random dev dude under the bus

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm not sure he'd fit under a bus, though. I suppose that's a bonus reusability factor that lets them save backer money.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Tippis posted:

How else do you expect your laser to roll properly?

mousepads are actually quite useful because without them, the skates on your mouse get hosed up and don't slide nicely

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

I'm not sure he'd fit under a bus, though. I suppose that's a bonus reusability factor that lets them save backer money.

i was going to make a fat joke about there being enough of him that the bus is pretty much stopped by the time it gets to you but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

mousepads are actually quite useful because without them, the skates on your mouse get hosed up and don't slide nicely

I don't use a mousepad at work, gently caress the police

• Locked thread