Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Outrail posted:

:doh: yeah on second look it must be something like this. Cheers!

np

i think your pics are cool! makes it look like some kind of alien landscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've sort of accidentally gone onto a one meal a day diet, and I'm finding it motivating, enlivening and just generally working for me, which is super weird because 5/2 intermittent fasting fuckin sucked.

Generally, Internet wisdom seems to be that its a decent thing to do, and that it's good for you, but I'm concerned I've gone into this without any real thought or plan. Like, yeah, calories down, lose weight, but is there anything I should be considering but haven't?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

!Klams posted:

I've sort of accidentally gone onto a one meal a day diet, and I'm finding it motivating, enlivening and just generally working for me, which is super weird because 5/2 intermittent fasting fuckin sucked.

Generally, Internet wisdom seems to be that its a decent thing to do, and that it's good for you, but I'm concerned I've gone into this without any real thought or plan. Like, yeah, calories down, lose weight, but is there anything I should be considering but haven't?

Low blood sugar, and getting dizzy, take a second when you stand up and sit down if you're on the skinnier / way way way heavier side, because you could be dropping like a fly.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

!Klams posted:

OMAD (one meal a day) is certainly doable but make sure you're getting enough nutrients - just like any other way of eating. So make sure you're getting enough protein / fat in and are eating a bunch of different coloured veggies alongside some fruit.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
If you drop a block of cheese, or something similar on the floor, how much should one cut off the sides to be sure the remainder is ok to eat? Would a thin shaving be fine, or do you need to slice further in? Does it depend on it being hard or soft cheese?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Austen Tassletine posted:

If you drop a block of cheese, or something similar on the floor, how much should one cut off the sides to be sure the remainder is ok to eat? Would a thin shaving be fine, or do you need to slice further in? Does it depend on it being hard or soft cheese?

Depends on the nature of the dirtiness of the floor and the softness of the food, but on a typical interior floor and a block of semi firm cheese, I'd say a thin shaving such that the remainder is visually clean, is fine

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

how dirty is your floor

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There are toothpastes that say they are anti-tartar and toothpastes that say they are better for gum health. But they all have the same active ingredient. Is it all just marketing?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

regulargonzalez posted:

There are toothpastes that say they are anti-tartar and toothpastes that say they are better for gum health. But they all have the same active ingredient. Is it all just marketing?

Yes

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

regulargonzalez posted:

If I'm correctly recalling what a dentist told me twenty years ago, "tartar control" toothpastes just contain a mild abrasive. Same principle as if your toothpaste had a bit of sand in it, but instead it's stuff that's strong enough to scrape tartar off but not so rough it abrades your tooth enamel. But it's biologically inert, and so it isn't an "active ingredient" in the drug-labeling sense.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

!Klams posted:

One meal a day seems to be the natural mode for me also. I like eating a large dinner in the evening and not much else.

Sometimes I have something small for breakfast. And also I am not in any way strict, if I feel like I need to eat, I eat. Like when I do long bike trips. OMAD is just what I gravitate to automatically.

Seems to work fine for me, but just listen to your body.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How big are you meals / rides? The idea of having to eat my maintenance calories + marathon calories in a single meal is daunting af and I'm a huge meal lover rather than grazer.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Completely at random I can’t cast to the chrome cast thingy on my tv.

Both my phones say “no devices detected” the tv is still displaying the lovely random google pictures, everything is updated, the light on the chrome cast is still glowing and I’ve tried turning it off and on again. Have even tried swapping the CC out with another one we have to no effect.

Any clever ideas?

Edit: Never mind. Fixed it!

Extra row of tits fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 23, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

Completely at random I can’t cast to the chrome cast thingy on my tv.

Both my phones say “no devices detected” the tv is still displaying the lovely random google pictures, everything is updated, the light on the chrome cast is still glowing and I’ve tried turning it off and on again. Have even tried swapping the CC out with another one we have to no effect.

Any clever ideas?

Have you told the apps on your phones that you're trying to cast with that they aren't allowed to see network devices? Automatically tapping no to that pop up stopped me for a while and it was very mysterious until I worked it out.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Inceltown posted:

How big are you meals / rides? The idea of having to eat my maintenance calories + marathon calories in a single meal is daunting af and I'm a huge meal lover rather than grazer.

I meant that when I do long rides, I eat more meals that day.

I also tend to eat slowly. So I cook a quite large dinner and I eat a few servings over the course of a few hours, while I do other stuff.

So it's not just a sit down at the dinner table and eat a pile of food.

So my way of life might not work for everyone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eat it off of the floor like a animal.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have any idea where I can find the original video of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtQzPp4Ras&t=237s

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know what causes this change in surface appearance in laminate? I returned this and got a new one (also due to that small chip), but the same showed up again after about a month. I do have my beverage there, but they are on those coasters, and I verified they don't let any significant heat or cold through (and my coffee is virtually always in an insulated mug anyway). It also doesn't seem to necessarily line up with where I put them. the surface doesn't feel any different there either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know what causes this change in surface appearance in laminate? I returned this and got a new one (also due to that small chip), but the same showed up again after about a month. I do have my beverage there, but they are on those coasters, and I verified they don't let any significant heat or cold through (and my coffee is virtually always in an insulated mug anyway). It also doesn't seem to necessarily line up with where I put them. the surface doesn't feel any different there either.

I don't see what change you're talking about? Is it not supposed to be textured or something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't see what change you're talking about? Is it not supposed to be textured or something?

it is, but the texture looks different there. also it actually does feel a bit different, just slightly rough vs. smooth like the rest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I’ve seen that it’s from heat. Unlikely possibility is moisture from below if it keeps happening in the same spot, which could happen if a dishwasher is located right underneath, depending on where it vents steam.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I’ve seen that it’s from heat. Unlikely possibility is moisture from below if it keeps happening in the same spot, which could happen if a dishwasher is located right underneath, depending on where it vents steam.

yeah I mean there's nothing underneath it, and heat virtually never comes into contact there. since I noticed this in the previous one in the same location, maybe there is just something about how the light hits that spot? I have either coffee in an insulated mug, or a glass of ice water, and you can't really feel anything through the coasters, and even then why isn't in any other nearby spots. weird. i'll just cover it up with the coaster.

actually since i just noticed it today, i'll keep everything off it, maybe it will dry up a bit, who knows

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 23, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Is it possible that light from a window shines at that spot at some point during the day? If it goes through a faceted window or a sun catcher or something, it might focus the light and heat up that specific spot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Is it possible that light from a window shines at that spot at some point during the day? If it goes through a faceted window or a sun catcher or something, it might focus the light and heat up that specific spot.

yeah that's a decent possibility, I am right in front of the window and they face SW. still no idea why that would happen just in that spot though as there are two windows, and the sun goes over both throughout the day. i'll see if these show up anywhere else. thanks for the help!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's talk about gasoline.

Why is it stored underground and pumped up, instead of in raised tanks or even at ground level? I'm guessing it's because it's less of a fire risk, less subject to temperature fluctuations in general, if it's stored underground.

How long does gas last before it turns into varnish? Do gasoline companies put stabilizer into tanks at gas stations like you would in the tank of a motorcycle being stored for the winter? What if (as if) demand disappeared tomorrow, how long would the gas at a station remain stable? What about the opposite, how often during shortages do gas stations run out of fuel?

What about octane rating - I know what it does and why it's needed only in high-compression engines, but is each octane stored in a discrete tank? Or is there some sort of chemical mixing/dilution going on when you select 89 over 93?

How hard is gasoline to synthesize? I mean, is it possible to create in a lab, instead of extracting it from oil? Someone long ago said that gas "is basically the perfect fuel," in terms of its energy density, its portability, its relative safety and how quickly you can fill up. I think about that a lot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's talk about gasoline.

What about octane rating - I know what it does and why it's needed only in high-compression engines, but is each octane stored in a discrete tank? Or is there some sort of chemical mixing/dilution going on when you select 89 over 93?

Dunno about the other questions but yes, stations generally stock a high and low octane and mix them to create in-between octanes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

By making it a lab, I assume you mean making it without petroleum products, because labs are filled with petroleum products. There's biodiesel and other biofuels. But, these really only address the problem of scarcity and not the problem of our planet is dying. Theyre better in terms of overall carbon emissions than their fossil counterparts, but we're still burning fuel and putting more CO2 in the air than we should.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

It's possible to make liquid hydrocarbons like diesel or gasoline in a chemical process, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer%E2%80%93Tropsch_process for example. It's just really expensive and usually relies on fossil fuels to make the carbon monoxide and heat required, so it's not really good if your goal is to reduce total carbon output.

There's a bunch of work happening on capturing CO2 either from the air or from large producers (coal plants etc) and then either sequestering it or re-making it into fuel. We'll see how that all pans out, it's super energy intensive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
In terms of combustible stuff you can make "in a lab" without a bunch of million year old dinosaur/plant corpses, hydrogen is the most promising option. You can turn water into hydrogen + oxygen with basically nothing but a big supply of electricity, and then you can burn the hydrogen to get part of that energy back.

In the future the rewewable alternative to gas (meaing a high-density, fast-refilling fuel as an alternative to batteries) is probably going to be hydrogen fuel cells. There are already a few commercially produced fuel cell vehicles including the Toyota Mirai which is a consumer car, although there is no real hydrogen infrastructure atm so it's probably insanely inconvenient. Some cities use hydrogen fuel cell powered buses though which seems more practical since you only need one central refueling location.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are there any solutions to the hydrogen storage problem? Viz. the molecules are tiny so it leaks out of everything, and you can't get decent energy density without incredibly high pressures that aren't really practical for consumer equipment.

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First point you guessed it right, storing tanks at height would be terribly unsafe and more expensive to refill it.

Second point the rule of thumb is about a year before gas goes bad. Gas stations run out of gas very quickly when a shipment is delayed, it certainly happens during a shortage.

There's generally a tank for low octane gas and a tank for high octane gas, and when you select midgrade it gives you a mix of both. This might vary at other stations but that's how it worked at the place I worked at some years ago.

You can synthesize just about anything if you've got the elements you need, the only question is how expensive and difficult it would be. There's basically no good way to synthesize gasoline that would be worth doing practically or economically, because it would take a shitload of energy and time to do it, so nobody would really bother with it on a large scale. As others have said, you're better off just finding a different way to fuel your car rather than synthesizing gas.

Borosilicate fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 24, 2022

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I collect random lost or discarded shopping/to-do lists that I find at work, on the street, in library books, etc. Part of the fun is deciphering what the heck the person was trying to spell.

Above is my latest find. I figured out "peroxide" right off, but that first line has been stumping me for days. Any guesses?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

regulargonzalez posted:

Some have stannous fluoride, which is legitimately different, but outside of those yeah it's all marketing.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I collect random lost or discarded shopping/to-do lists that I find at work, on the street, in library books, etc. Part of the fun is deciphering what the heck the person was trying to spell.

Above is my latest find. I figured out "peroxide" right off, but that first line has been stumping me for days. Any guesses?

Might have figured this out, I don't think the words here are English. Searching "hranu" gave me this https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hranu so it means "edge" in Czech or "food" in Croatian.

Since this is a shopping list, I went with "food", but i couldn't really figure out the first word. It looks like "madicu", but that doesn't seem to be a word in Croatian (or Czech) when I tried entering it in google translate or wiktionary. Then i had the idea that the "d" is actually a "c" and an "l" close to each other, but google translates "maclicu" into "mace" (like the medieval weapon), and it doesn't give "maclicu" when translating in the other direction, so that didn't seem to be it and it wouldn't make much sense even if it was.

What if the "l" isn't supposed to be there? "macicu" brings us to the solution, even if it isn't quite spelled correctly. "macicu" was translated as "kitty", but translating "kitty" into Croatian gives "mače". Clicking on the word gives alternative possibilities and that is where we find "mačkica" https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ma%C4%8Dkica. "mačkica" is the diminutive of "mače", so its translated as "kitty" rather than "cat". So it appears that the first word is "mačkicu", but the "k" is incomplete.

So now we can see that this person was buying "kitty food" and is probably from the Balkans!

Apparently the words are written in the accusative case, which is why they have slightly different ending letters from their basic spelling, but I'm not sure why that case is used for a shopping list.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 24, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As far as synthesizing gasoline, one of the hype things is Power-to-X, which is basically using renewables to convert co2 back into fuel even the grid has surplus energy. It's essentially using fuel as a battery.

I dunno how much of our is hype though, it might be just bullshit.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

First word is "MADICUL" (medical)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

greazeball posted:

First word is "MADICUL" (medical)

Could the second word be some mangled version of "Hydrogen"?

So "Medical hydrogen peroxide"?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

When I watch HBO Max on my pc every 10 or so seconds there's a tiny stutter in the video. It's really annoying. It happens no matter which browser I use. Other videos are fine, both streaming (netflix, youtube, twitch) and video files from my computer, so I don't think it's my connection or my computer. I don't have this issue on my other devices (phone, PS4) which use the same wifi.
Googling it just gives me all the standard solutions like updating drivers, trying a different browser, clearing cache, etc, all of which I've tried.

Is this just a case of HBO Max being trash in the browser and a known issue, or something I can actually fix?

Eta: I guess what I'm looking for in an answer is either "yeah hbo max sucks on a browser" so I know it's just something I have to live with occasionally, or "nah that shouldn't happen so either it's something with your computer or your wifi" so I know I can dig deeper and ask in more appropriate places for answers on how to fix it. This is the small/stupid questions thread and not tech support, after all.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 24, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Try turning off hardware acceleration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Goon Boots posted:

So now we can see that this person was buying "kitty food" and is probably from the Balkans!

I'm voting for this one