Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Revol posted:

What is the difference between retract speed and acceleration? With S3D, there is only one option; speed. I have it set to 3000mm/m, I read online this is the recommendation for the Titan extruder.

Minimum print shouldn't be an issue with my test model, the cylinder is 10mm wide, and I don't think my minimum retraction setting is anywhere close to that.

Acceleration is how fast the printer attempts to achieve a given speed on a given axis. It's usually defined in the firmware or via Mcodes in your Starting Gcode scripts. Slicers usually won't have options to adjust it unless you dig into the more advanced settings.

Read up on the Print/Travel/Default acceleration Mcodes here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M201:_Set_max_printing_acceleration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Here's something odd I haven't seen: The print that's running on my machine right now is popping at the extruder - in two specific spots on each layer. Like clockwork. It might happen a couple of millimeters away from the previous layer, but it's basically the same place every time. It's a brand new roll of eSun PLA+, like I unsealed it and loaded it just to do this print new. Unless they installed a drop of water at regular intervals from the factory, I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

The only thing I can think of, is that I have my retraction set a little more aggressively than usual. Is it possible that I've gone a bit too far, and it's actually making a little air pocket in the hot end? It's really only doing two retractions, as it moves between the taller points on the model.

e: I think I just confirmed that. It's at a point where the tall parts are connected now, and it's laying a continuous bead with no more gaps. It was happening on an inside perimeter so it's no big deal anyway. Just thought it a bit strange. I'll back the retraction off some before I run anything else.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't remember if you mentioned you did this, but I'd play with printing speed (i.e. turn it down) to see if it makes any observable difference.

When I get stuck trying to figure out some specific thing it helps sometimes to take a step back from trying to crack the observable problem and instead change a "big" setting like print speed (for example, halve it) and see if the observable problem changes in any way. The results can sometimes lead to insights.

e: Another meta-setting to try (of a sort) is a larger version of your model. It's cool to print a 10mm cylinder but printing a 20mm or 25mm cylinder with the same settings might offer insights.

If it were my printer I'd try the 10mm cylinder with a slow print speed and maybe even 5-10C cooler print head, maybe even a tiny battery powered fan pointed at it. 10mm is pretty small and the hot nozzle might just be pushing material around regardless of any settings.

I've tried slower print speeds.

I do agree with trying a larger version, that was my next idea. I think what will happen is the seam will grow.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I had a lot of zits on a small model when trying to print small and high detail; none of the simplify3d guide stuff helped. Eventually I settled on tweaked (and fairly aggressive) retract + negative extra restart, but that was clearly a solution specific to small detailed models. When using those settings on larger stuff I could see a bit of missing material at the "seams" of layers where the retraction and negative extra restart was leading to too little material at the end of a perimeter.

I went down similar paths to what you did but your earlier pictures don't really look like zits so much as a straight up seam that shouldn't be there. Never seen anything like that before, so besides chiming in that changing a "big" setting can sometimes offer insight to tricky issues, I can only wish you luck.

10mm does sound really small, even my "small" model that hid some issues behind its small size wasn't that small (but it was much more detailed with lots of retracts)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The seam looks the same on the original model, which is actually 20mm, as on a 40mm version.

I set the X/Y jerk from 5 to 15. No difference. Setting this back to 5. I notice that in Marlin control panel, my 'ACCEL' is 500. Not quite sure what this setting does, I see several references to acceleration with Marlin.

Right now I'm trying E jerk at 15. Edit: No difference, time for a fuckin' video game break

Mister Sinewave posted:

I went down similar paths to what you did but your earlier pictures don't really look like zits so much as a straight up seam that shouldn't be there. Never seen anything like that before, so besides chiming in that changing a "big" setting can sometimes offer insight to tricky issues, I can only wish you luck.

It's a seam if I have S3D slice start points at a set location. They are zits if I have randomized start points. And I guess I should explain, it's a seam that sticks out, not an indentation.

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

If anyone in Canada wants a 5V inductive probe lemme know. I ordered 5 for reasons that escape me currently

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Bitching time!

loving supports. Every time I think I have my slicer settings dialed in and working well I try to print something with supports and that beautiful dream is dashed to hell. The contact points with my models always look like poo poo and as an extra special bonus I nearly always gouge myself while trying to remove them. Goddamn motherfucking supports.

Question time!

I want to improve my supports game but Googling isn't yielding much in the way of "this precise setting worked well," more like "you have to tweak settings, my supports come off great!" I'd be interested to hear specifics for what works for people in this thread. For my part - settings that don't work super well - here's a screenshot of my Cura (2.3.1) settings:

And here's a picture of the scraggly mess left when the support structures are removed

It's the underside of a part of this model...I admit this might be a degenerate case, the part has a lot of protrusions that don't contact the build plate.

Can I expect to get better results with adjusted settings or am I just looking for a unicorn of clean-break support structures that doesn't really exist?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Print it the other way around

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
"The other way around"? I'm not sure if you're joking or suggesting something that I'm just missing. The part is essentially a spheroid with weird protuberances all over. If you're suggesting flipping it upside down, there's an antenna on top - the only contact with the build plate would be even smaller. That's not really going to minimize supports so the detachment problem would be even worse.

For this particular model I could chop it in half horizontally, flip the bottom half over, and probably get pretty good results gluing the halves together...but that doesn't help me improve my support settings in general :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Model-material supports universally suck, sorry. The only really good way is to use soluble supports (or breakaway supports, but that seems limited to professional machines) and deal with all the hassles that come with dual extrusion.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Eh, I share your frustration; every now and again someone exults in their finally perfect support settings and I've never tasted that nectar either.

Supports are a last resort but you can't avoid them forever.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

csammis posted:

"The other way around"? I'm not sure if you're joking or suggesting something that I'm just missing. The part is essentially a spheroid with weird protuberances all over. If you're suggesting flipping it upside down, there's an antenna on top - the only contact with the build plate would be even smaller. That's not really going to minimize supports so the detachment problem would be even worse.

For this particular model I could chop it in half horizontally, flip the bottom half over, and probably get pretty good results gluing the halves together...but that doesn't help me improve my support settings in general :)

Order it from Shapeways and they'll print it in a tub of perfectly supported dust.

I'd cut it in half just above or below that belt line in the middle. Not worth the time, hassle, OR extra material the supports would waste.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry, it appeared to be just a half.

3D printing isn't a one-and-done solution center. You have to think about the method itself. Yes, you need support help, but even perfect supports won't look anywhere as good as it would being cut in half and printed in two parts.

That model wasn't made for 3D printing. Nobody designed the tachikoma around overhang angles. So, you're trying to get a perfect solution to an impossible problem. Work within the limitations of FDM, not against them.

As for support help, I don't know too much. It's all based on extrusion width, pressure, layer height, angle of supported piece, nozzle width etc.

I use Simplify3Ds supports, with 4 layers of High-Density supports before the part.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I'd slplit that in half. But if you want to use supports Angus has a pretty good video on them;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piwKAOOaPKc

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p7CSNbX8vM

:eyepop:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Setting jerk for both X, Y and E to 25 seems to have finally given me some progress. It looks like the seam is less of a bump on the wall, and more just scarring, which I believe might be from my coasting/wipe settings.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Thanks for the support ( :haw: ) everyone. You're all right that generally I need to practice good slicing in order to reduce the need for supports. I watched that video that Rapulum_Dei linked and it gave me some good ideas for settings to tweak next time I need to fall back to support structures. Interface thickness and density seem fairly key.

That video also made me want to drop $150 on Simplify3D but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a sub-$200 printer

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

How does that work? I assume the needle has two holes, so that it can suck away the clear jello and replace it with the plastic at the same time?

Edit: Or is it simply accounting for the displacement?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 26, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

finally a use for that vase in my closet...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

csammis posted:

Thanks for the support ( :haw: ) everyone. You're all right that generally I need to practice good slicing in order to reduce the need for supports. I watched that video that Rapulum_Dei linked and it gave me some good ideas for settings to tweak next time I need to fall back to support structures. Interface thickness and density seem fairly key.

That video also made me want to drop $150 on Simplify3D but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a sub-$200 printer

Think of it less as a drop on a sub-$200 printer and an investment for when you eventually build/buy a much more expensive printer down the road.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
the software is a $150 upgrade to any printer you own. get it

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

csammis posted:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but you can return it up to a week after purchase so you can print a few things and see what you think.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
This is going to sound like a weird question, but do any of you have experience with PLA bottle openers? A bunch of people are throwing my cousin a breast cancer fundraiser in a few weeks and I was going have my first ever prints be about 50-100 bottle openers and I was wondering if the PLA alone will hold up to abuse or should I go ahead and design it around a coin as the actual opener? Also should 1 1kg spool be enough or should I get 2?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fenom posted:

This is going to sound like a weird question, but do any of you have experience with PLA bottle openers? A bunch of people are throwing my cousin a breast cancer fundraiser in a few weeks and I was going have my first ever prints be about 50-100 bottle openers and I was wondering if the PLA alone will hold up to abuse or should I go ahead and design it around a coin as the actual opener? Also should 1 1kg spool be enough or should I get 2?

In my experience, PLA is good for models that are for display and not used constantly. In door Phone holder, mounts, tool boxes to stick on the side of a printer. PLA is super strong withstanding a lot of pressure ... Until it can't. Each use will weaken it and eventually it will fail. I wouldnt mind this as much if not for the fact that when PLA fails, it fails into shards flying every which way.

On the other hand, ABS will fail by bending which is safer.

Make a sturdy as hell bottle opener and use the coin method since that is where the most acute pressure will be. Make it so the person using it can put the coin in somehow unless you want to be fancy and put the coin in while it's printing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Re: PLA bottle openers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX8eHC7fws

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yeah I agree about PLA's failure mode being the most problematic part of that plan.

Here's a video about strengthening PLA bottle openers with some good bits like measuring the exact breaking point

edit: beaten

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Would petg be an alternative, or too flexible?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Would petg be an alternative, or too flexible?

Just put the PLA though the 3d-printing version of heat-treating process to strengthen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX8eHC7fws&t

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just put the PLA though the 3d-printing version of heat-treating process to strengthen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZX8eHC7fws&t

Interested in trying this.

There is also the pla issue of it sweating you need to take care of.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey i was thinking (just spitballing here) but perhaps put it in an oven i found this video all on my own:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

bring back old gbs posted:

hey i was thinking (just spitballing here) but perhaps put it in an oven i found this video all on my own:

One of these days maybe we'll start clicking on links as they're posted.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
Hey guys I found this video, do you think this would work?

But in all seriousness, thanks for the replies. I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with my first 3d prints ever being 50-100 of the same model. I guess I'll get the kinks worked out by the last one.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fenom posted:

Hey guys I found this video, do you think this would work?

But in all seriousness, thanks for the replies. I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew with my first 3d prints ever being 50-100 of the same model. I guess I'll get the kinks worked out by the last one.

I massed produced a thing for about 10 family memebrs that consisted of about four pieces each.

Look into printing several at once and perhaps stacking them with supports between them so you can easily separate them instead of printing out the max your plate supports then scraping them off. If each bottle opener has like four stacked on top of them, it will be faster eventually.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm looking at getting a Monoprice Select Mini soon. Is there any reason to get the MP Select Mini V2 over the Maker Select V2 if I have the extra $100 lying around? I've got the supplies to run OctoPi lying around, so wifi isn't a problem.

Sorry to be part of the recommendations spam, but the only other thing I saw being talked about over the last 5 pages was the Lulzbot and I don't exactly want to spend $1200 on my first foray into a hobby.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm looking at getting a Monoprice Select Mini soon. Is there any reason to get the MP Select Mini V2 over the Maker Select V2 if I have the extra $100 lying around? I've got the supplies to run OctoPi lying around, so wifi isn't a problem.

Sorry to be part of the recommendations spam, but the only other thing I saw being talked about over the last 5 pages was the Lulzbot and I don't exactly want to spend $1200 on my first foray into a hobby.

If you're willing to spend the extra $$ The maker select is a great printer for the price. I would absolutely wait until they release the newest version though, which should be in the next month or so.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

I got the Mini recently and while I really like it, I kinda wish I got the Select V2 for the extra bed size. 120mm is enough for a lot of prints, but there are a bunch of situations where I really wish I had a little extra space in one dimension. It works well enough, but I would definitely recommend putting down the extra hundred.

I'm not sure if I'll look into the extended Y-axis mod or just start building a larger printer piecemeal.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
During lunch break I finally took out the Hatchbox PLA that I had been using, when I started to notice my zit issue. But it's also happening with my Atomic filament as well.

While swapping them out, I noticed something that might be important. When I was manually extruding the old material out, I noticed that the extrusion immediately curls up into the nozzle. It wasn't doing that a couple weeks ago. What could cause this?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Not necessarily something wrong but it's [i]possible/i] (in an "anything's possible" sort of way) that your nozzle has a ding in it if it's consistent and constant.

Someone posted (or I read an article, I forget) of damaged brass nozzle where no damage was apparent from eyeballing it, but if you looked close-up it very obviously had a ding and the orifice was no longer circular.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Full Circle posted:

If you're willing to spend the extra $$ The maker select is a great printer for the price. I would absolutely wait until they release the newest version though, which should be in the next month or so.

zeekner posted:

I got the Mini recently and while I really like it, I kinda wish I got the Select V2 for the extra bed size. 120mm is enough for a lot of prints, but there are a bunch of situations where I really wish I had a little extra space in one dimension. It works well enough, but I would definitely recommend putting down the extra hundred.

I'm not sure if I'll look into the extended Y-axis mod or just start building a larger printer piecemeal.

Awesome, I'll snag the Select V2. Have they announced a new version? All I could find was hackaday talking about a new mini and delta. And talking about resin printers coming out, because Peachy didn't get my hopes up far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
The mini v2 was just released yesterday and the Z axis mod (Maximus) is definitely worth it to go from 120mm to 280mm. I think it took about an hour to get everything moved over after I realized I had a different bed mount than the original Mini.

There is a wider bed option (Brutus) but it's apparently more involved and I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.