Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Keito posted:

Bad opinions. DQ2 SFC at least is an excellent, open-ended game with some of the best music in the series. Late-game enemies might have 1HKO spells, but so does your party along with revivals too unless you've run from every battle, so it doesn't feel unfair.

It's crazy how many improvements and additions DQ2 brought to the table after the first game, so the whole "DQ2 is bad" meme gets tiring. The exploration gameplay and world is excellent.

+1. The endgame is challenging, though, you have to admit that. Probably far more than any other DQ game. It's still do-able, if a bit RNG-heavy (bosses having Healall). At least you can StopSpell the drat Batboons. And Surround the giants. And Sleep the Bullwongs. Seriously, use your status effects. There's a data sheet out there somewhere (I couldn't find it after a brief google) that lists all the enemy resistances to stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Out of curiosity, how well did DQ11 do in Japan, in terms of sales? Must've not been a flop, since they are bothering with a translation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Roluth posted:

Out of curiosity, how well did DQ11 do in Japan, in terms of sales? Must've not been a flop, since they are bothering with a translation.

It was big numbers that were sorta hidden by the multiple versions. Combined i think they broke records for this gen but apart iirc monhun was bigger

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Roluth posted:

Both versions were incredibly successful, release day alone was around 2 million if you combine sales for both versions.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Srice posted:

Both versions were incredibly successful, release day alone was around 2 million if you combine sales for both versions.

Yep, that sounds about right. Don't know why I asked, Japan has always loved Dragon Quest, so I'm not sure why I thought it was different this time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So did Nintendo just not want the Switch to have unfortunate competition with a game boy and that's why they axed the 3DS game's release?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ofecks posted:

+1. The endgame is challenging, though, you have to admit that. Probably far more than any other DQ game. It's still do-able, if a bit RNG-heavy (bosses having Healall). At least you can StopSpell the drat Batboons. And Surround the giants. And Sleep the Bullwongs. Seriously, use your status effects. There's a data sheet out there somewhere (I couldn't find it after a brief google) that lists all the enemy resistances to stuff.
I couldn't get past the Blizzards casting that party wipe spell without save stating every encounter. The game says it was a low chance, but it was Final Fantasy Tactics style low chances. After that one revive item, the only other way to revive is the guy who died. Play the remakes. The Princess also learns Revive.

Bongo Bill posted:

The tension mechanic exists in 8 and 9. In the US PS2 version of 8, at max tension, the hero's hair changes and becomes spiky.
Looks like I am playing Dragon Quest this year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crabtree posted:

So did Nintendo just not want the Switch to have unfortunate competition with a game boy and that's why they axed the 3DS game's release?

Dragon quest isnt the same phrnomenon here so splitting sales is probably a concern. Id hope they could dump the 3ds game on the eshop in a year or so at the very least but who knows

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crabtree posted:

No, considering they literally are supporting the 3ds with a game in 2019

Roluth posted:

They literally announced localization and date

The localization is taking a long time because they changed a bunch of in-game assets like usual and added Voice acting which 0 is in JP.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I had a hacker/programmer behind me and a couple of other translators on board, I would try to beat the launch of the ps4 official release with a 3DS fan patch, just to make a statement. It would be rough, but doable. Everyone seems to be really busy right now, though.

I suspect at some point in the future, someone (be it my people or some other people in the scene) will probably just transplant the ps4 script into the 3DS version.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Keito posted:

the whole "DQ2 is bad" meme gets tiring

DQ2 owns and hearing a person's opinion on it is a good litmus test for determining their True Scotsmanship.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm kind of a purist, so I have to give DQ2 on NES at least a chance.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
April Fool's is the worst time for this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Been playing 2 on mobile lately. With the quality-of-life improvements of the remake - most notably the ability to fast travel to any destination, but also the rebalanced experience curve - it feels surprisingly modern.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crabtree posted:

It's Square-Enix's decision.

Nameless, Faceless Spokesthing posted:

From a business point of view, it made strategic sense to release the 3DS version in Japan in 2017. For the West in 2018, it made the most sense to focus on the PlayStation 4 and PC (Steam) platforms.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Never played the mobile version of 2 but yeah, it's pretty rough. Especially in the late game. I wouldn't really say Dragon Quest got "great" until 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The jump in quality from DQ2 to DQ3 is insane, I can't think of another series that had such a significant leap on the same platform like that. FF4-5-6 had their improvements but DQ2 to DQ3 is like going from FF2 to FF6.

The Kins posted:

It's Square-Enix's decision.

This is the right call tbh, especially if the eventual Switch version is going to get a western release after it comes out in Japan some time in 2021. :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I went back to hay after recruiting Saber and all the villagers thought I was in cahoots to extort them. It's the only time I wish DQ didn't have a silent protagonist so I could explain the situation to them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Evil Fluffy posted:

The jump in quality from DQ2 to DQ3 is insane, I can't think of another series that had such a significant leap on the same platform like that. FF4-5-6 had their improvements but DQ2 to DQ3 is like going from FF2 to FF6.

This is the right call tbh, especially if the eventual Switch version is going to get a western release after it comes out in Japan some time in 2021. :v:
Castlevania.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Castlevania 1 is my fav on NES, but I can see digging 3 the best, and has innovations. And 2 has rad music, and tried things. I think the first one is still one of the best games in the genre and in the series though myself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I went back to hay after recruiting Saber and all the villagers thought I was in cahoots to extort them. It's the only time I wish DQ didn't have a silent protagonist so I could explain the situation to them.

The silent protagonist thing kinda pays off in a subtle way with party chat; go back there in the third arc with your new party members.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dragon Quest 2 fans are cops

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm nostalgic as gently caress about DQ2 but dang it has some poor design choices

Tag yourself I'm the event that knocks 1/3 of your party out just to be sure you learn that the world tree exists

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You're under arrest.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Shugojin posted:

Tag yourself I'm the event that knocks 1/3 of your party out just to be sure you learn that the world tree exists

i'm the agdevil who casts sacrifice which pretty much has a 100% chance of instant killing your party the second you reach rhone

I love Dragon Quest 2 (I love all of the games unconditionally) but it is easily the weakest in the series.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shugojin posted:

I'm nostalgic as gently caress about DQ2 but dang it has some poor design choices

I'm the Princess who's stuck with support magic and like three pieces of equipment.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am the group of Dragon Fly who all cast Flame before you take a turn, effectively killing the royalty halfway.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shugojin posted:

That actually isn't in the original game. They added a new bad design choice, presumably so it fit in better with all the others.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
So can we all agree DQ2 is good in its own special way.. DQ1 i feel was worse, but it didnt have insta-kill spells to wreck your day, so i can understand the hate.

But that i feel like the slog of a walk through the final castle was as bad as the final slog in DQ2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

So can we all agree DQ2 is good in its own special way.. DQ1 i feel was worse, but it didnt have insta-kill spells to wreck your day, so i can understand the hate.

But that i feel like the slog of a walk through the final castle was as bad as the final slog in DQ2.

Dragon Quest 1 was old and short enough that it's a fun historical curiosity if nothing else. Dragon Quest 2 is modern enough to feel like a normal JRPG but still has very outdated game design.

I hear the mobile port of 2 is hugely rebalanced though, I'm just going off the original.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was like 6 months between DQ1/2, which makes the different in scale and ambition pretty impressive, idk how that's long enough to consider 2 modern and 1 a historical oddity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I bought DQVIII on 3DS yesterday because the DQXI release date announcement has me all hyped to play some Dragon Quest.

I remembered the voice acting in this game being delightful but I forgot how much. I miss the really pretty orchestrated soundtrack but I'm glad everything else is there.

It's cool that they added two new party members, too, though I feel so loyal to the original group that I don't know who I'd drop to use one of the new ones.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I disagree that DQ2 isn't also worth trying, but I think what they're getting at is that DQ1 is notable historically because it is basically bedrock for a lot of what it's attempting to accomplish (translate an RPG to a two button controller on a mainstream console being sold to children who have no frame of reference for what the game should be like). It makes it very interesting to analyze DQ1 from this perspective because you can see where it's attempting to communicate a traditional RPG concept in a new way. For example, I think it's really cool how the game uses bridges to communicate overworld difficulty zones in the same way that dungeons use stairs. Even the menu system is really interesting because it seems pointless now that the abstract "interact" button is a widely accepted abstraction in video games, but made more sense in a time where manuals tended to explicitly spell out every verb each button could be used for.

DQ2 adds a lot of cool stuff to the formula, but the design problems it has to solve aren't quite as interesting as Dragon Quest 1 (in my opinion), and its additions are basically the result of familiarity and a larger cartridge size. A lot of what it adds are big for the series but would have been a matter of course at the time for the genre.

Of course, I'm all ears if anyone has a more knowledgeable perspective on why DQ2 is educational to play from a historical perspective. I haven't looked at it very thoroughly and I'm probably downplaying some big things it accomplished.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nickoten posted:

DQ2 adds a lot of cool stuff to the formula, but the design problems it has to solve aren't quite as interesting as Dragon Quest 1 (in my opinion), and its additions are basically the result of familiarity and a larger cartridge size. A lot of what it adds are big for the series but would have been a matter of course at the time for the genre.

As mentioned, Dragon Quest 2 came out less than a year after Dragon Quest 1 (May 1986 versus January 1987). Final Fantasy 1 did not yet exist, and would not until the end of 1987; Ultima and Wizardry obviously did (both up to 4, actually Wizardry 3 and Ultima 4 were out then; Wiz4 came out in 1987), and Yuji Horii called out Wizardry specifically as an inspiration, but they didn't have their Famicom ports yet and were still restricted to computers.

Anything added in DQ2 wouldn't really be a matter of course for Famicom RPGs. There wasn't really a course to be on yet.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 2, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Prism posted:

As mentioned, Dragon Quest 2 came out less than a year after Dragon Quest 1 (May 1986 versus January 1987). Final Fantasy 1 did not yet exist, and would not until the end of 1987; Ultima and Wizardry obviously did (both up to 4, actually Wizardry 3 and Ultima 4 were out then; Wiz4 came out in 1987), and Yuji Horii called out Wizardry specifically as an inspiration, but they didn't have their Famicom ports yet and were still restricted to computers.

Anything added in DQ2 wouldn't really be a matter of course for Famicom RPGs. There wasn't really a course to be on yet.

I wasn't speaking about it being a matter of course for Famicom RPGs specifically, but rather for the genre. A lot of stuff had happened in the RPG genre by the time Dragon Quest II came out; what is interesting is how it adapted that to console. That's the "course" Dragon Quest II was on: incorporating more of what RPGs had been doing in the early to mid 80s into Dragon Quest 1's rough translation of that play to the Famicom.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I will also eternally chime in supporting DQ2. That game blew my drat mind when I was a kid by having three party members and multiple enemies to fight... oh, and the whole world of DQ1 is just a tiny area in DQ2! It still has some of my favorite music of the series as well, notably the solo overworld theme feeling so lonely.

Yes, it was difficult, but even my Mom beat it back in the day. I played the SFC translation a few years ago, and it felt just fine with a lot of the rough edges sanded off.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I remember getting stuck in DW2 for the NES because I couldn't get the crest or whatever plot important item that the dog shows you where it's buried. I had just played DW3 and the tree tile that the dog runs over was impassable in 3 so my kid mind just assumed that I couldn't walk over there in 2 either.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

I bought DQVIII on 3DS yesterday because the DQXI release date announcement has me all hyped to play some Dragon Quest.

I remembered the voice acting in this game being delightful but I forgot how much. I miss the really pretty orchestrated soundtrack but I'm glad everything else is there.

It's cool that they added two new party members, too, though I feel so loyal to the original group that I don't know who I'd drop to use one of the new ones.
Picked up 8 too for the same reason! Never played it before

Went with the PS2 version since it's the version I had and it's cool how good this game still looks and sounds.

im in 2 it

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

I played the SFC translation a few years ago, and it felt just fine with a lot of the rough edges sanded off.

Same here. Anyone talking about how bad the original NES game was is entirely justified in my opinion, but those same people owe it to themselves to play any other version of the game. It's not a *great* game, but it's a massive improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alright, i've already been through this before so i won't do anything too crazy in terra incognita this time

5 hours later

okay now that i've finished the greenhouse on the 2nd floor i can move onto gathering roof tiles for

e: i wasn't aware people disliked dq2, it's not bad imo even if prince green dies at the slightest breeze