Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Does this mean we aren't getting the remake? That would be unfortunate, since I was looking forward to the new story and transferring over my Tatsuya. And that I wasted $60 on a physical copy, but that's my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
One of the atlus USA guys mentioned on NeoGAF that it wasn't a factor of wouldn't (as in it wouldn't have earned enough money), it was a factor of can't.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As in can't what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

As in can't what?

They may not be able to get permission from Atlus Japan to publish it in the US for some reason. I have no idea why that would be but Atlus Japan has made some weird-rear end requests before. (Look at the P4:A debacle.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

As in can't what?

The Guy on NeoGAF posted:

"Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales."

So who knows.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 16, 2013

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I was curious to see if the Atlus forums knew about the ESRB rating for EPPSX, so I checked them out. They were talking NichM, the Atlus editor you guys are referring to, who announced that EPPSP wasn't being localized. They posted a screenshot, as opposed to the actual NeoGAF

I haven't read his blog or the thread itself, but I assume Atlus Japan wouldn't let them localize it because EPPSP sold poorly in Japan, and the PSP is a dying handheld. It sucks, but at least the PSX version is getting a digital release. Maybe we'll get a fanslation of the PSP version 10-15 years from now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some companies are still localizing PSP games. The new Generation of Chaos and Hakuoki games drop on the PSN this Tuesday even. I'm guessing Atlus Japan just didn't want to bother with the process when they have other stuff to do?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Policenaut posted:

Some companies are still localizing PSP games. The new Generation of Chaos and Hakuoki games drop on the PSN this Tuesday even. I'm guessing Atlus Japan just didn't want to bother with the process when they have other stuff to do?

Hopefully this is the part where they bandage the wound by showing a Persona 5 trailer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Policenaut posted:

I'm guessing Atlus Japan just didn't want to bother with the process when they have other stuff to do?

Such as not releasing P4A in Europe :v:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Such as not releasing P4A in Europe :v:

Now now, I'm sure Europe will get P4A eventually. ...Like in 2020.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hopefully this is the part where they bandage the wound by showing a Persona 5 trailer.

At the PS4 unveiling :unsmigghh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I get the feeling P4 Arena's less on Atlus and more on ASW. This is always an issue with their games in Europe, and at first I was blaming Zen United, but the way the guys that run the Persona Europe page act it seems like it's out of their hands.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cleretic posted:

but the way the guys that run the Persona Europe page act it seems like it's out of their hands.

That is when they're not just posting terrible Persona image macros and BlazBlue news?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Last I heard, they'd received a PS3 master copy for reproduction but were awaiting on one for the 360. Makes me wonder if we're looking at an EX Troopers situation, where the subtitles were hard coded into the game's visuals or something equally riddiculous -- I can't remember exactly.

The long and the short of it meant that for the game to be released in another language, a good portion of it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up, or so it was claimed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Didn't they say they weren't putting any other languages in, though? God I don't even know anymore. By the time it actually comes out people online will have dropped it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah. Since it was already released in the US. I'm an idiot.

Did they just junk the data or something? There shouldn't be any need to rebuild everything from scratch -- unless it's something to do with region coding a system that wasn't meant to be region coded, or something equally ridiculous.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah. Since it was already released in the US. I'm an idiot.

Did they just junk the data or something? There shouldn't be any need to rebuild everything from scratch -- unless it's something to do with region coding a system that wasn't meant to be region coded, or something equally ridiculous.

Nah, the same thing happens with all of ASW's games. It looks to be something with their infrastructure, there's something fundamentally hosed somewhere along the line.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Snix posted:

I haven't read his blog or the thread itself, but I assume Atlus Japan wouldn't let them localize it because EPPSP sold poorly in Japan, and the PSP is a dying handheld. It sucks, but at least the PSX version is getting a digital release. Maybe we'll get a fanslation of the PSP version 10-15 years from now.

It's ATLUS, the company that released Persona 3 FES at the end of the PS2's life, and went out at night with a shovel to exhume its dessicated corpse for P4's release. You can switch those with Devil Survivor 1 and 2, as well.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also: the PS4 is getting announced in a couple of days and Persona 5 hasn't been shown yet (supposedly still PS3)

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also: the PS4 is getting announced in a couple of days and Persona 5 hasn't been shown yet (supposedly still PS3)

They'll change it. P5 on PS5.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Iceclaw posted:

It's ATLUS, the company that released Persona 3 FES at the end of the PS2's life, and went out at night with a shovel to exhume its dessicated corpse for P4's release. You can switch those with Devil Survivor 1 and 2, as well.

No you can't. The 3DS wasn't even out when Devil Survivor was released, and was only out for a few months when Devil Survivor 2 was first released (in Japan.) Hell, Pokemon B/W2, a first party title, was released more recently than DS2.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Okay, that might be less true in DS's case. That doesn't change the fact ATLUS doesn't give two shits about releasing games on aging consoles.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

Alright, so why do you think they aren't going to localize it? From what I understand, Atlus USA TRIED to localize P2EPPSP, but Atlus Japan denied them the right. I don't know if anyone outside of Atlus knows why, but the only reason I can think of is that the remake sold poorly in Japan, and the PSP is dying. It's one thing to still release games for the PS2 and DS a little after their successors were released because they were still popular consoles that still sold units. The PSP was unpopular to begin with, less so now that the Vita's out.

Snix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, that might be less true in DS's case. That doesn't change the fact ATLUS doesn't give two shits about releasing games on aging consoles.

They don't give a poo poo about releasing games on aging consoles where they can sell. The PSP was dead in America except for piracy and the rare S-E game for a long time and the Vita is limping along desperately trying to survive.

As another point: The PSP is so dead Square-Enix passed up the chance to localize a Final Fantasy for it. A real wholehearted Final Fantasy didn't get translated.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've never played any of the Persona games, but I gather 1/2 are pretty hit or miss. I'm going to play one of the newer 2 with a friend, so is there a clear reason to start with 3 over 4, or should I just go for 4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I've never played any of the Persona games, but I gather 1/2 are pretty hit or miss. I'm going to play one of the newer 2 with a friend, so is there a clear reason to start with 3 over 4, or should I just go for 4?

If you're talking about PSP, no, not really, start with 3.

Otherwise 3 has AI controlled allies and 4 doesn't and it can be harder to go back to 3 after that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What is the gameplay of Devil Survivor like? And is there any relation between the plots of 1 and 2?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mordiceius posted:

What is the gameplay of Devil Survivor like? And is there any relation between the plots of 1 and 2?

It's a strategy RPG. You get mostly normal combat screens when you initiate an attack, and your demons have racial skills that allow you to do things on the map (like extend your attack or movement range, allow you to attack twice in a given turn, etc.)

There is no plot relation between 1 and 2.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

A party-based SRPG. Think final fantasy tactics only when you attack dudes it turns into a SMT battle system. And the plots are completely separate like most SMT games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

They're a combination of typical SPRG gameplay, and typical JRPG gamplay. You control four teams, composed of a human leader and two demons each. In combat, you control these teams like individual units in a normal SPRG (so like characters in FFT) on a isometric grid, but when you attack an enemy team, it cuts away to a turn-based segment. Each member of a team generally gets to perform one action, but hitting enemy weaknesses can net your units Extra Turns, and remove enemy Extra Turns (you can also get Extra Turns just by having good agility.) Killing an enemy leader wipes the entire team instantly, but the leader takes less damage while it's team mates are alive, and you get less EXP and money for straight-up killing the enemy.

Different races of demons have different Racial Skills that let you do stuff in the grid-based portion of combat. For example, some demons have skills that let you move further, or heal distant teams, or attack at a range.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress yes. That is exactly what I am looking for in life right now. I've been craving a mix between Persona 4 and XCOM.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress yes. That is exactly what I am looking for in life right now. I've been craving a mix between Persona 4 and XCOM.

Keep in mind for a lot of the game you're going to have 3 parties instead of 4, so it'd be more new XCOM size vs old XCOM.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Keep in mind for a lot of the game you're going to have 3 parties instead of 4, so it'd be more new XCOM size vs old XCOM.

I've never played old XCOM, only new XCOM.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
If you liked the new X-COM, this one should do you well. It's a good challenge, got a pretty decent story and you don't have to deal with permadeath. Just remember race skills or you're going to lose a lot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Soul Hackers NA website is up. Like, fully up, with all the information from the Japanese website. All the characters and story info and stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TurnipFritter posted:

The Soul Hackers NA website is up. Like, fully up, with all the information from the Japanese website. All the characters and story info and stuff.

Woah fancy. Probably the first time they've done a full website localization. Their versions are usually pretty amateurish and static (because they lack(ed?) the personnel) compared to Atlus JP' shiny flash based sites.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

If you liked the new X-COM, this one should do you well. It's a good challenge, got a pretty decent story and you don't have to deal with permadeath. Just remember race skills or you're going to lose a lot.

Also good to remember is magic is still a god stat. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

I have to say, keeping "Picky" as the name for fake Pocky seems like an unfortunate decision.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
A question for those that have played Soul Hackers. Am I missing anything by not knowing Native American mythology or what? Seeing as how I've heard this entry has a lot of themes based on it and I'm obsessive over things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Proto Cloud posted:

A question for those that have played Soul Hackers. Am I missing anything by not knowing Native American mythology or what? Seeing as how I've heard this entry has a lot of themes based on it and I'm obsessive over things like that.

Nope! It's less "themes based on it" and more "names taken from it."