Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Klyith posted:

Buy a rasperry pi so you can put it in a drawer for months and then give it away to someone else just to get rid of it, who will then put it in a drawer for months, until they finally run into someone who will do something useful with it.

That's how I got my pi!

I mostly keep building Retropie systems. I've got at least two finished ones sitting around at the moment.

And a DeskPi case on the way so I can make a Pi4-based one with a hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I keep taking the Pi's I'm planning to do projects with and turning them into octoprint/octopi servers for my 3d printers. At least the cases are free*.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That's an option? poo poo I need to google that. Everyone else I've found with similar routers asking on reddit or whatever seems to have given up.

Yeah it's an option, I had to turn off my router's DHCP because it kept appending the router IP to the DNS list with no option to turn that off

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Best use I've found with my old one is that my girl is a huge fan of Scooby Doo. Loaded it up with every episode from every series I could find + movies into libreelic and scraped all the data. That thing gets used pretty much daily now

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Another option may be to flash a custom/open source firmware onto your router. Something like openwrt, tomato, or dd-wrt. It can be tricky to do depending on your router, though, but opens up a lot powerful options.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a 2B I'm using as a "NAS" for my pair of external drives, and a 3A I bought to be a glorified typewriter currently hooked up to a motor control board for a motor I killed.

The plan for the 400 is really just to condense down my linux box into one keyboard sized volume since my desk is tiny and entirely consumed by my wfh setup. There are a couple other things Im thinking of doing with it, but nothing I'm sure wouldn't be bettered served by my laptop or steam link. We'll see how long my attempt to use it without a mouse lasts...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harminoff posted:

Best use I've found with my old one is that my girl is a huge fan of Scooby Doo. Loaded it up with every episode from every series I could find + movies into libreelic and scraped all the data. That thing gets used pretty much daily now

do you have a custom case for it yet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
if you haven't called it ScraPi Doo then I don't even want to know

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Some Goon posted:

I've got a 2B I'm using as a "NAS" for my pair of external drives, and a 3A I bought to be a glorified typewriter currently hooked up to a motor control board for a motor I killed.

The plan for the 400 is really just to condense down my linux box into one keyboard sized volume since my desk is tiny and entirely consumed by my wfh setup. There are a couple other things Im thinking of doing with it, but nothing I'm sure wouldn't be bettered served by my laptop or steam link. We'll see how long my attempt to use it without a mouse lasts...

Are you using the drives via USB? I want a NAS but was worried that USB2 would be too big of a bottleneck to make it worthwhile.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cage-free egghead posted:

Are you using the drives via USB? I want a NAS but was worried that USB2 would be too big of a bottleneck to make it worthwhile.

It's a huge bottleneck, doubly so because pre-4 pis have the ethernet share bandwidth with the USB ports. For me it's a one way transfer to back up files that are either very small or ultimately replaceable if necessary so it doesn't really matter, I wouldn't recommend it for active drive space at all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Trip report:

On the included raspbian raspberry pi os image it required 1.3GB of updates, which it downloaded in 9.5 minutes over powerline ethernet. Another 5-10 minutes to install the update. Web browsing was usably zippy, a little slow to load large images but nothing unbearable. 1080p youtube playback was a no go. 720p30 dropped about 2% of frames with horrible screen tearing but I don't know if that's the Pi's fault or the monitor. For 720p24 content or sub-HD it should be fine. Steam link app was unusably slow, but this was most likely either the powerline's fault or my internet was making GBS threads the bed, as I was getting 20-30 Mbps, vs 60-70 Mbps connected directly to the router (desktop was getting 80-90 Mbps connected to router.) Bluetooth audio is apparently broken, what fixes I could find didn't work, hopefully an update to RPos or a different OS will fix this.

It's not quite there as a home desktop, but it's close. It would make a fine email / bill paying machine and the footprint is literally unbeatable.

Size compared to other keyboards / Pi's

Size compared to the computer it's replacing

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Do you have the very latest updates? Supposedly there is a big new update in the last day or two brings improved hardware acceleration for YouTube etc in Chromium build 84.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whatever was in the repos as of a couple hours ago. I'll mess with it more later, maybe I didn't have something configured right.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My experience with a rpi is buying a 2p arcade stuck with an integrated rpi3 running retropie.

It played most games but struggled with the games I really wanted to play so I wound up just revitalizing my actual console gaming arsenal...

And then I wanted to play QIII Arena online with my Dreamcast so I fished the rpi3 out of the arcade stick, bought a USB modem, and made my dreams come true with DreamPi.

And now I'm repurposing the arcade stick as a bar top arcade.... might put a newer rpi in it and continue the cycle.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

The generic bluetooth SBC codec can sound fine if both devices agree on a high bitrate, but that's not guaranteed. You can fix that by recompiling the bluetooth component.

So I recompiled blues with openaptx and fdk-aac but I don't seem to be getting the option for aptx on my Pixel 2. AAC shows up, but from what I hear the performance is awful on Android devices. Were you able to get it running with the built in BT adapter, or are you using something plugged in to USB? I probably just screwed something up building everything from source since I'm a Windows babby who's used to installers doing all the work for me, but I want to rule out as much as I can before continuing to bang my head against the wall.

I got that digital audio hat ordered and I can't wait for it to come in. Moode works brilliantly and I managed to find a cable that lets me keep my Pi connected to the UPS behind my couch with my NAS, but god drat does the built in audio out suck. There's still a bunch of static even with a 3' cord right next to my receiver so I know it's not the cable length, and the same tracks sound fine from other sources.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coxswain Balls posted:

So I recompiled blues with openaptx and fdk-aac but I don't seem to be getting the option for aptx on my Pixel 2. AAC shows up, but from what I hear the performance is awful on Android devices. Were you able to get it running with the built in BT adapter, or are you using something plugged in to USB?

Neither, for me BT is only occasional use so I've just left it with SBC. And honestly FWIW I haven't found it to be noticeably horrible for quality with my pixel 4a. Whatever they've picked between them seems adequate enough, but I also haven't hooked up my good headphones to critically listen to music passing through that connection.

By comparison I also have a pair of sony WXM4 headphones. Every once in a while on my PC they connect as "headset" rather than "headphones", and I can tell immediately because the sound quality is completely garbage. So among my devices that's my main example of SBC being awful, while the Pi is ok.

I knew about the various bluez options because when I was still using volumio I'd been trying to get BT working in that. But I never even got a successful audio connection, just a paired device. Tthe recompile on moode is a thing I'd like to try doing, but it's way down the list.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Between Spotify Connect and the NAS I'm not super concerned about bluetooth connectivity either, but I wanna give aptx a try to see what the latency difference is like for phone games. This would sound awesome coming out of a proper sound system instead of my phone's tinny speakers; while the audio quality is fine even with SBC there's a ton of lag. I figure it's also good to practice building stuff from source if I want to try other things with it. Apparently AAC is much better implemented on Apple devices, although with Airplay enabled I don't even know how necessary that is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
He's a random thought I had. I don't want to janitor a PiHole on my entire network, but would there be a way to let it only deal with a certain subnet on my network? I've got 4 different people here with various devices around the house and my past experience was spent unblocking a lot of poo poo again and again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

He's a random thought I had. I don't want to janitor a PiHole on my entire network, but would there be a way to let it only deal with a certain subnet on my network? I've got 4 different people here with various devices around the house and my past experience was spent unblocking a lot of poo poo again and again.

The latest release of PiHole will do this, you can have different groups and some groups can totally bypass blocking of any kind. It’s not that hard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lol the subtle Krusty

What modem did you buy? I'm skeptical of the injected voltage poo poo all the dreampi docs talk about and their single blessed USB modem they want to sell me

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mewse posted:

Lol the subtle Krusty

What modem did you buy? I'm skeptical of the injected voltage poo poo all the dreampi docs talk about and their single blessed USB modem they want to sell me

Voltage injection is how we had to do it back in the day when the broadband adapter never got a release in Canada so you had to bridge the connection through a computer. It seemed simple enough and worked for a lot of people, but I was just a kid at the time and had no way to source the necessary components.

In the end my entire group of friends used the dial-up ISP credentials of someone's cousin who lived somewhere without broadband access. Even with thousands of hours of PSO we never ran into issues or got caught.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mewse posted:

Lol the subtle Krusty

I bought the modified modem direct from
DreamcastLive. Once I figured out how to get Dreampi on my wireless network i was fragging in minutes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does anyone know of an HDMI panel mount plug that accepts a full size HDMI cable, but plugs into a Micro HDMI like on the Pi4? I've looked and can't find anything, so I think I'm going to have to go with a regular HDMI panel mount port with an adapter cable to plug into the Pi, but thought I'd check as I seem to often miss the weird components.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone know of an HDMI panel mount plug that accepts a full size HDMI cable, but plugs into a Micro HDMI like on the Pi4? I've looked and can't find anything, so I think I'm going to have to go with a regular HDMI panel mount port with an adapter cable to plug into the Pi, but thought I'd check as I seem to often miss the weird components.

Get a female-female hdmi keystone https://www.delock.com/produkte/697_Keystone/86316/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en and a hdmi to microhdmi cable of your choice.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I took it apart to change the card. Big heatsink.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Remember when one of the selling points of a Raspberry Pi was the low power consumption?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spazzle posted:

Remember when one of the selling points of a Raspberry Pi was the low power consumption?

No they've always had garbage power handling.

The OG RPi had that 500mA polyfuse so when you drew more than that your ports and networking stopped until it cooled down. You needed a powered hub, optimally one which wouldn't backpower, and good luck with that.

The 2 and 3 required enough power most chargers or usb banks couldn't supply it. The 3's power supply was actually out-of-spec to compensate. Seriously, guys, get someone competent in designing power on board.

If I need to plug it into a wall anyway what do I care if it's 5W, 10W or 20W.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Didn't they make a big deal out of finally using an efficient switch mode power supply design onboard in like, Pi 2 or even Pi 3 or something?

Like, that's the first thing I nail out of the gate when I'm designing products

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The A+ ran on a playing card sized 150mA 5v solar panel

On boot there was a brief 180 mA spike which caused it to crash loop, but that could be remedied with a modest capacitor

The official Pi4 kit ships with what, a 3A (3,000mA) adapter now?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The Pi4 draws markedly more power than prior models for markedly higher performance, but it's still only like 1-1.3A under load. The official PSUs have overhead for peripherals.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The 3's problem isn't actually the amount of power it gets, it's how it handles dips in voltage.

The problem wouldn't be that hard to solve for someone skilled, but instead we got their answer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah Pi4 says 3A at 5V. Me I hardwired a 5V power supply into the hat.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

The 3's problem isn't actually the amount of power it gets, it's how it handles dips in voltage.

The problem wouldn't be that hard to solve for someone skilled, but instead we got their answer.

Is the 4 better in that regard? I am looking for excuses to upgrade my 3s to 4s for literally no reason but new/shiny

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is the 4 better in that regard? I am looking for excuses to upgrade my 3s to 4s for literally no reason but new/shiny

Nope, in fact, it's worse.

They're straight up not compatible with real USB-C for the first revision.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Nope, in fact, it's worse.

They're straight up not compatible with real USB-C for the first revision.
It wasn’t compatible with smart usb-c cables.

They should have followed the usb-c spec, but as an actual problem it was blown out of proportion.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The fact that the rpi doesn't work with normal usb is a conceptual problem. Especially as they somehow decided that they wanted to build their own high-power standard instead of using any of the existing fast charging standards. You can have a laptop charger that is compatible for your smartphone, but it won't supply your rpi. Being able to just grab a random charge bank or charger and run your pi from there would make things so much more fun for casual users.
Going the other direction (and some other decisions) make me think that the customer groups they think about are rpi desktop users who for some reason dislike streaming video, and the people who have large stacks of rpis in rack.

And that is why the pi0w is the best rpi ever built.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Do we have an embedded software thread nowadays? I'm wondering what IDEs and C/C++ toolchains people are using for ARM Cortex-M stuff nowadays lol

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Usually the official toolchain.

I was trying to make PlatformIO work well with STM32 stuff and their HAL, but I just couldn't get it to integrate properly with STM32Cube. Maybe the experience for other manufacturers is better.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
STM32Cube works pretty well for initial config stuff, but we really don't like their HAL, so it's not just you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

I've set up a 400 as a desktop machine running Xubuntu via Desktopify as a present for a friend. It's designed to work with the Ubuntu 20.04 x86_64 server image, but it seems to work just fine with the 20.10 image (if you comment out the check (if [ "${CODENAME}" != "focal" ]) from the bash file. It seems to work very well for casual browsing/office-suite applications.
The OS is installed on an SSD housed in an external UASP-compatible enclosure connected via one of the usb3 ports. While I was concerned that the power draw might require a powered hub, as has been the issue with past pis, it seems to run just fine, even with a mouse and another USB peripheral that appears to draw 500mA (both mouse and SSD, and an item listed as a hub, likely the keyboard, indicate a MaxPower of 100mA, but I don't know what the actual draw for any of the devices is). Note I'm using the official PSU.
One thing to note specific to the XFCE environment is that the screensaver crashes all I/O when it activates (and is enabled by default). There's also still an occasional issue with NetworkManager/wpa_supplicant that leads to wifi occasionally failing upon boot and requiring a reboot to fix, which seems to be related to a failure to properly negotiate settings with the router and being unable to re-negotiate. When it does connect, it works just fine. I think I have a fix, and will update this post when I've had a chance to test it. Edit:evidently the issue was in the negotiation of the pi's IP address. Once I reserved an address in my router's DHCP server and entered that configuration (e.g., IP address, subnet mask, and gateway) in the network manager on the pi it's worked consistently.

take_it_slow fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 18, 2020