Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Herman Cain got votes, didn't he? Not many, but it wasn't like goose eggs across the board or anything.

Some republican, somewhere, at one point, voted for a black man. Not many! but still.

Yes Amelia Bedelia even Thaddeus McCotter got a few votes at Ames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Yes Amelia Bedelia even Thaddeus McCotter got a few votes at Ames.

That is the most obscure reference I've seen in a while.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Herman Cain got votes, didn't he? Not many, but it wasn't like goose eggs across the board or anything.

Some republican, somewhere, at one point, voted for a black man. Not many! but still.

Some of them might have been people trying to vote for Colbert.

At least he got the all-important Conservative Brony vote.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Your lack of acknowledgement of Alan Keyes' delegates gathered in 2000 and 1996 is disappointing.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

De Nomolos posted:

Your lack of acknowledgement of Alan Keyes' delegates gathered in 2000 and 1996 is disappointing.

Oh wow, I had forgotten about him, and that's my bad. I heard about him in CCD because he was against abortion. As a child, I didn't see anything abhorrent about his campaign, but then again I was like nine so I was probably pretty dumb.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I am very interested to see Carson's and West's numbers next time around. Chances are the democrats will be running a white woman, so there's no need for a republican black friend.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The big question mark with Carson is he a drop out before Iowa grifter, or a hang in through Super Tuesday grifter?

Depends on how good his agent is and how long he holds out for an optimal media deal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, keep in mind that they will probably scrap the Ames Straw Poll this cycle, which has traditionally been a winnowing event.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Also, keep in mind that they will probably scrap the Ames Straw Poll this cycle, which has traditionally been a winnowing event.

But what will those busloads of Ron Paul supporters do now? :ohdear:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

katlington posted:

I am very interested to see Carson's and West's numbers next time around. Chances are the democrats will be running a white woman, so there's no need for a republican black friend.

Surgeon vs War Criminal

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Surgeon vs War Criminal

Your powers combined...

Black Mengele: in theaters spring 2016.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am dreaming of a Rand Paul vs Ted Cruz brawl in 2016 where they both try to out-right each other.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

skaboomizzy posted:

I am dreaming of a Rand Paul vs Ted Cruz brawl in 2016 where they both try to out-right each other.

...and its Billionaire Brucie winning from behind....

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I've read that the national GOP kind of wants primaries to be less of a mess, but have they done much to try to make that happen? Keeping the ego trippers and book tour candidates out of it might help cut down the nonsense and keep things from getting dragged out by no-hopers who appeal to the base.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Chantilly Say posted:

I've read that the national GOP kind of wants primaries to be less of a mess, but have they done much to try to make that happen? Keeping the ego trippers and book tour candidates out of it might help cut down the nonsense and keep things from getting dragged out by no-hopers who appeal to the base.

They are going to severely control the primary debate moderators and questions. This is one of the things Romney blamed for losing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

I forget the details, but IIRC a lot of delegate assignment rules were revised to prevent a repeat performance by the Ron Paul Rules Lawyer Brigade.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 5, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

They're supposed to be cutting down on the number of debates by penalizing delegate counts from people who go to "non-sanctioned" ones like the Values Voter debate, as if that's gonna be a deterrent to the book tour crowd.

e: also the more open ones like CNN or whoever's part of the liberal media conspiracy these days

e2: god, two competing sets of debates would be the best thing ever, especially if everyone but whoever the establishment pick is just ignores the RNC

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 5, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oh God

The New York Times - no, really - posted:

“Let’s say Ron Paul is Nirvana,” said Kennedy, the television personality and former MTV host, by way of explaining the sort of politician who excites libertarians like herself. “Like, the coolest, most amazing thing to come along in years, and the songs are nebulous but somehow meaningful, and the lead singer kills himself to preserve the band’s legacy.

“Then Rand Paul — he’s Pearl Jam. Comes from the same place, the songs are really catchy, can really pack the stadiums, though it’s not quite Nirvana.

“Ted Cruz? He’s Stone Temple Pilots. Tries really hard to sound like Pearl Jam, never gonna sound like Nirvana. Really good voice, great staying power — but the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.”
Suddenly, everything all makes sense to me now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FMguru posted:

Oh God
Suddenly, everything all makes sense to me now.

So wait, is she saying Ron Paul should kill himself?

(Or that Cobain killed himself to "preserve the band's legacy," and not that he was depressed and addicted to heroin?)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
O-oh my gosh :stare: has she paid attention to music since the days she was a VJ?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

O-oh my gosh :stare: has she paid attention to music since the days she was a VJ?

From the sounds of it, she didn't pay attention to music even when she was a VJ.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If we pretend that this makes any sense at all, Rand would be Foo Fighters, not Pearl Jam.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

If we pretend that this makes any sense at all, Rand would be Foo Fighters, not Pearl Jam.

There's an HIV denialism joke in here somewhere, but I can't make it work no matter how I try.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz would be Prince. He does whatever he wants and somehow gets away with it and you're surprised when you learn that he's from a cold, white place up North.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz would be Prince.

What the mother loving gently caress dude.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Seriously. How dare you tar Prince like that, even as a joke!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kalman posted:

Seriously. How dare you tar Prince like that, even as a joke!

On the other hand, imagining Cruz singing Pussy Control is loving hilarious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That's the way to appeal to the millennial youth of today - compare politicians to bands that were hot 20 years ago.

Now, which one is the Allman Brothers and which one was Little Feat again? Mario Rubio is the Flying Burrito Brother, of course...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ted Cruz is King Crimson and Rand Paul is Yes circa Tales of the Topographic Ocean and that makes Chris Christie...Marillion?

Help me out here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're all Nickelback. Every last one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Having Roger Dean do all of the GOP's campaign posters and logos for 2016 would be a pretty cool move, actually.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

On the other hand, imagining Cruz singing Pussy Control is loving hilarious.

I would have gone with Controversy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Ted Cruz is King Crimson

Ted Cruz would make a better GG Allin.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That Kennedy quote is from this week's NYT cover article about Libertarianism as the hot new thing that the Kidz can't get enough of: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/magazine/has-the-libertarian-moment-finally-arrived.html?_r=1

I can't bring myself to read it. It goes on forever. I've been hearing about how Libertarianism is the way and the light for The Youth Of Today since the mid-1980s. Kennedy takes up the first third of the article. She was on MTV 20 years ago and is currently host of a half-hour show on the Fox Business Network (a cable network that often posts a 0.0 rating and has viewership that falls below 1000 at certain times of the day). I'll be reading this article again in the mid 2020s, arguing that as Hillary Clinton's second term winds down young people are looking for something different, and the mummified remain of Nick Gillespie will explain how Libertarianism is "cool" now and I will finally embrace sweet sweet death.

e: The article's author compares Nick Gillespie to Lou Reed.

e2: I know this is drifting far afield from anything having to do with the 2016 race, but please indulge me this one quote:

quote:

Arrayed before Gillespie were several boxes of exotically flavored Pop-Tarts that he had purchased at the Lancaster grocery store. He held them up as evidence that individualism was flourishing and choices were in abundance or, as he put it, “The libertarian moment is now.”

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 7, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SedanChair posted:

To be fair, one of them is an insane religious whackjob with god-like megalomaniac delusions, and the other one is also Ted Cruz.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Only one of them

FAUXTON posted:

They're all Nickelback. Every last one.

Only one candidate has been inflicted upon the US by the cold Canadians like Nickleback.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

What I want to know is what is an "exotic" pop-tart? Isn't the weirdest flavor they make, like, wildberry?

You can get frosted AND unfrosted strawberry pop-tarts! Hail libertarianism!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A decade ago Virginia Postrel wrote an article praising the selection of toilet brushes at her local Target as proof that Americans are Libertarians at heart.

I am not joking, not one little bit.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

We have so many choices of pop-tarts now that the only choice left to add is whether you want to spend a quarter less on a box that a food inspector didn't look at. Just kidding, a food inspector won't have looked at any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

We have so many choices of pop-tarts now that the only choice left to add is whether you want to spend a quarter less on a box that a food inspector didn't look at. Just kidding, a food inspector won't have looked at any of them.

Food inspectors generally only inspect food.

• Locked thread