Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The canon does not exist

There is no such thing as a society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Actually, on the subject of translations of the epics, does anyone have an opinion of the best version of Ariosto available in English? I've been interested in reading Orlando Furioso for a long time b/c of how highly Calvino spoke of it, but the couple I've tried from the library were either flat out inaccurate in their translation or else trying to keep to the original meter and rhyme at the expense of of English text and I couldn't get into it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

CestMoi posted:

Pope's Iliad has some staggeringly gorgeous passages, read it for sure, but I wouldn't read it as "the Iliad", it lets too much slip which is weird for me to complain about because I really wish Pope had hacked apart the story to turn it into his own thing. Why do you want rhyming? The original doesn't rhyme, it's just in meter which the really excellent translations by Lattimore and FItzgerald preserve.

In conclusion read one of Lattimore or Fitzgerald, then read Pope then learn Greek and read it in Greek.

I thought that the original did rhyme in Greek, that it would be interesting to read such a long piece of rhyming verse, and reading it that way would remind me of Pale Fire, one of my favorite books. Since you put it that way, I'll try Lattimore's version, too.

What about The Odyssey? Lattimore and Fitzgerald translated that, too; would they also be your first choices?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I started the nix last night and so far it's like city on fire without substance. I'll probably finish it by Saturday.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

blue squares posted:

but "the Canon" is sexist, racist, and every other -ist

It's misandrist too?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

It's misandrist too?

Yes, but only ironically

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wtf is the canon

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Harold Bloom's cock, apparently.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Wtf is the canon

The Bible (KJV)

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
I finished CivilWarLand and it was mega sad yet funny, it was hilarious yet sorrowful, it was a rueful comic romp, it was a droll yet poignant panegyric of the vicissitudes of the downtrodden

Hadji Murat was also very good. glad I read him in order, encourage others to do the same.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Solitair posted:

I thought that the original did rhyme in Greek, that it would be interesting to read such a long piece of rhyming verse, and reading it that way would remind me of Pale Fire, one of my favorite books. Since you put it that way, I'll try Lattimore's version, too.

What about The Odyssey? Lattimore and Fitzgerald translated that, too; would they also be your first choices?

Yeah, probably maintain translators? Whichever one you choose you'll be really used to their style by the end of the Iliad so if you read a different one for the Odyssey it might sound weird to you. I'm personally a Lattimore fan, but End of Worlds says Fagles is good so either pick one at random or read little bits of each and make your decision from that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Yeah, probably maintain translators? Whichever one you choose you'll be really used to their style by the end of the Iliad so if you read a different one for the Odyssey it might sound weird to you. I'm personally a Lattimore fan, but End of Worlds says Fagles is good so either pick one at random or read little bits of each and make your decision from that.

I found this guy who compares all three opening segments of the Odyssey if that helps. Didn't realise Lattimore stuck to Homer's line numbering; that's really cool

1969 baby
Apr 29, 2013

Cloks posted:

I started the nix last night and so far it's like city on fire without substance. I'll probably finish it by Saturday.

I'm a third of the way through Nix, and just like City on Fire, it reads like a YA novel. I keep falling asleep when he gets to the mom's backstory, so I don't know if I can finish.

edit to throw in that I don't actually want to discourage anybody from trying The Nix. I don't want to judge it until I finish it, because sometimes the things that bother me in a book turn out to be part of what the author intended and work better as part of the whole. just giving the author the benefit of the doubt right now.

1969 baby fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 7, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

reading Never any end to Paris and If on a winter's night a traveller back-to-back owns. deffo recommended.

like, in Never any end... the protagonist spends a great deal of time talking about his concept for a novel called The lettered assassin in which he attempts to murder the reader, and then in If on a winter's night the reader is made a protagonist (sort of)

ulvir fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 7, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The canon does not exist and is the delusion of white male navel gazers happy to help

lol at this guy who thinks that delusions don't exist.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

1969 baby posted:

I'm a third of the way through Nix, and just like City on Fire, it reads like a YA novel. I keep falling asleep when he gets to the mom's backstory, so I don't know if I can finish.

edit to throw in that I don't actually want to discourage anybody from trying The Nix. I don't want to judge it until I finish it, because sometimes the things that bother me in a book turn out to be part of what the author intended and work better as part of the whole. just giving the author the benefit of the doubt right now.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Nix, and I think that it's pretty good. It has a lot of elements that remind me of City on Fire or Jonathan Franzen. So if you like either of those, you'd probably like The Nix. If you don't care for either, don't worry about it.

I mean, there are some pretty painful parts (a character named Pwnage, a spoiled college student demanding a safe space, etc.) that make me cringe, but otherwise it's pretty well-done.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chamberk posted:

a character named Pwnage

i think we're done here

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Just finished The Sea of Fertility, should have been called Sea of Futility... That's not to say I was disappointed, actually I quite liked the last installment and will have to think for a bit about it all. Any opinions?
Following the thread consensus I'll also pick the third book as weakest, the introduction of the reincarnation was just shockingly artless compared to the other books. But I'll also agree that the India scenes are really strong, I suppose Mishima visited India himself?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

i think we're done here

wrap it up, literature is over

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"literature"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know bleeding edge wasn't to everyone's taste but I don't think scare quoting it's fair.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

how 'bout that new Jonathan Safran Foer book then

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jonathan safran foer should have his skull obliterated by heavy arms fire

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

wrong thread oops

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

very funny article. not sure if the reference to IJ is meant to be a joke but its refreshing to see trenchant disdain for Jonathan Safran Foer in print.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
drat..."trenchant"...now i know u read books

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
thanks. i recommend defining the words at the bottom of the page to increase your power

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Eating Animals is good

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

Jonathan safran foer should have his skull obliterated by heavy arms fire

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn: Jonathan safran foer should have his skull obliterated by heavy arms fire

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Alan Moore.

quote:

The first is a series of walking tours of Northampton, echoing the perambulations of Leopold Bloom in “Ulysses,” undertaken by a number of various characters set in different time periods. This serves to introduce many of the ancestors of Mick and Alma Ward, other significant characters such as Marla the streetwalker and poet Ben Perrit, as well as many ghosts and angels. The history of Northampton is encoded in it’s topography and there are connections that can be drawn throughout the ages.

The middle section of the book chronicles the adventures of four-year-old Mick Warren in the afterlife during the brief time he was dead. He becomes involved with a group of kids who call themselves the Dead Dead Gang. Imagine the Little Rascals as written by a brilliant, philosophical madman with pretensions of explaining the metaphysical mechanisms of the entire universe.

Section three is by far the most challenging. While it appears disjointed at first each of these chapters not only moves the story forward but serves to tie together the many, many threads he has introduced. Mr. Moore writes from different points of view, exploring a variety of styles, some maddeningly experimental. One chapter is written in the form of an epic poem. Another is a crime noir detective story with the main character, who is not what he appears to be, investigating the connections between Northampton and William Blake. There is the script for a stage play which features the ghosts of several poets and thinkers, including Samuel Beckett, which is appropriate given the “Waiting For Godot”-like structure of the play and its meta-commentary on the entire book.

There are the chapters that appear to be overt paeans to Joyce. One is a stream of consciousness flow without punctuation, a la’ Molly Bloom’s soliloquy in “Ulysses.” Another is, without a doubt, the most difficult chapter to read and the one that is most likely to thwart those who try. Earlier in the novel Mr. Moore establishes the idea of the language of the angels: Words that sound like nonsense, but unfold within the mind of the listener to contain layers of meaning and metaphor. This entire chapter is an attempt to capture that experience, composed entirely of a made-up language. It is nonsense poetry spoken by Lucia Joyce (the daughter of James, who spent part of her life in an asylum), that gradually, as it is read, begins to reveal an internal logic and meaning.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/books/2016/09/10/Jerusalem-by-Alan-Moore-Just-don-t-call-it-Ulysses-for-Druids/stories/201609090255

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I must say I am surprised that ever got published. The last I heard was 2 years ago and he was boasting they had to contact the people who publish Bibles to talk about their very thin paper.
e: that he'd finish it rather, not that he could get it published.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This looks interesting

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

This looks embarrassing

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Had this on pre-order for ages. I'm going to read the ever loving poo poo out of this book.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i am skeptical about the comic book snake man's novel

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Earlier in the novel Mr. Moore establishes the idea of the language of the angels: Words that sound like nonsense, but unfold within the mind of the listener to contain layers of meaning and metaphor. This entire chapter is an attempt to capture that experience, composed entirely of a made-up language.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
That's brilliant tho, nobody will be able to tell it sucks. Shame about the rest of the book

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Not sure how much I want to read that. It looks like it has the same aspects of Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow that made me want to read them, but OTOH Century ended on such a bum note that I haven't read any comics he wrote since.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solitair posted:

Century ended on such a bum note

But it didn't end at the bum hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

jsoh posted:

Earlier in the novel Mr. Moore establishes the idea of the language of the angels: Words that sound like nonsense, but unfold within the mind of the listener to contain layers of meaning and metaphor. This entire chapter is an attempt to capture that experience, composed entirely of a made-up language.

How is that different from language. Has this guy not read De Saussure