Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Yeah, the main complaint I heard was that they really oversimplified the style meter. Which is odd, as the style meter exists to encourage you to do better and try new attacks, not to puff up your ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Centipeed posted:

As a counter point, I very much enjoyed DMC, and I haven't heard any compelling reasons that it was a bad game except for "It's not like previous DMC games".

Though if someone wants to explain to me what makes the gameplay so bad, I'm all ears.

It's not a terrible game. It's just kinda weirdly shallow. There's a ton of weapons, but the charged attack on the axe is capable of killing everything in the game almost instantly, except for a few enemies that have elemental immunities. You just need to use any other weapon on them. There's also ton of awkward platforming with a camera that doesn't really seem built for it.

Devil May Cry 3 & 4 have really complex and rewarding combat, and much less jumping around. Also, y'know, they don't feature the fedora-wearing leader of Anonymous as your dramatic rival character. That's always a good thing. DmC gave me douchechills.

If you've got any modern console, get Bayonetta instead, which is the best DMC game.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 11, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SirDan3k posted:

Is Remember Me worth dropping six bucks on?

eh. it's pretty and the setting is cool but the combat is like a lovely arkham style. the coolest parts, memory remixes, are not made enough of a focus. it could have been good but wound up solidly mediocre.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

DMC4 counterpoint: Nero kinda sucked and it wasn't that fun to fight the same 3 bosses over and over again.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You can beat DmC on the hardest difficulty the first time relatively easily. Also, the story is dumb and the characters are nigh insufferable.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I really enjoyed DmC but even I have to agree it has one of the worst stories I've ever encountered in a game. I'd say Heart of the Swarm beats it by a hair but my god is it bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah, it's not got the best combat but it's a lovely and interesting game that doesn't wear out it's welcome. And for $6 is pretty worth it; just don't really waste money on that one bit of DLC. It's just three additional fighting moves and it's just goofy more so than useful.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Darkhold posted:

I really enjoyed DmC but even I have to agree it has one of the worst stories I've ever encountered in a game. I'd say Heart of the Swarm beats it by a hair but my god is it bad.

A very mature story about ruling the world with credit cards and long range abortions. I think Carlton Mellick III wrote it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RE: Bionic Commando (the gritty 2009 reboot, not Rearmed)

There is a really fun game hidden in there SOMEWHERE. The problem is it's buried under a horrible story, unlikable characters, and unsatisfying gunplay.

Basically the swinging feels great once you get used to it and I'm so butthurt that the game wasn't more than it could have been. Multiplayer could have been so much fun if they just made the guns feel good to use but sadly I think they've shut the servers down.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SirDan3k posted:

I think it's worth it for that price, easily. I don't say that to slight the game, but that I don't think you'll feel cheated.

The separate parts don't really merge well together; for instance, the combat is at best pretty okay but more often just routine. It's a slower Arkham fighting system similar to Sleeping Dogs, but not as good, and it has some neat combo-development mechanics.

Combat doesn't get old, but combat also never really gets engaging. Some parts are challenging so at least there's that.

It's a gorgeous looking game with a really wonderful aesthetic and is more of a B-movie to Tomb Raider's A-movie character acting - even though they're very different games and the like.

It's got a lot of neat ideas that are fun to see.

I wrote a slightly more eloquent review on steam.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

How does DMC compare to something like Revengeance?

DMC is decent. I had fun with it several times over, but all games are bad when compared to Revengeance. So I am not sure what to tell you.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is March of the Eagles any good? It's stupid cheap on the Humble Store (discounted to 0.79€ from 19.99€ for my region anyway) and it looks interesting (in a Europa Universalis/ Crusader Kings vibe).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

SirDan3k posted:

I really enjoyed Remember Me. I picked it up for $25 one of the first times it went on sale, and even at that price I thought it was worth it. $6 would be a no-brainer if it appeals to you at all. Like most people say, it's most notable for its interesting setting and beautiful graphics. The combat never wore out its welcome for me, although I understand where people who didn't care for it are coming from.

I do have a tip for anyone new to the game. In combat, if you press the dodge button while holding a direction you'll break your current combo. If you press it without holding a direction, however, you will vault over the head of your current target and be able to continue the combo. I've seen a few people in the past complain about how hard it is to complete some of the longer combos when being swarmed, but as long as you do that you should be able to consistently pull them off any time you want and should make the combat a lot more enjoyable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Is March of the Eagles any good? It's stupid cheap on the Humble Store (discounted to 0.79€ from 19.99€ for my region anyway) and it looks interesting (in a Europa Universalis/ Crusader Kings vibe).

it was a spinoff game that's like EU/CK only limited in scope, mechanics, and fun

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh hell what great timing for a Capcom sale. I just realized that I'm going to be shipping my PS2 to my ex soon, so now I have to (re!)buy RE4 if I want to beat it.

Thanks, steam. :unsmith:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 11, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

iastudent posted:

Elminage Gothic is available for preorder now. Releases the 18th, 20% off ($7.99)

It's a japanese-developed, very heavily Wizardry-inspired dungeon crawler series that's been going for a while now. Another entry in the series (Original) released on PSP in the US a while back but this is the first one for PC in English.

Oh hell yeah. I am an extreme sucker for/am terrible at Wizardry-types and the Eliminage series is supposed to be great. First preorder for me since...Torchlight 2, maybe?

XCOM:EW talk -- did I read right in that it modifies enemy movement so they actually move vs. teleporting around the map? This sounds like something that should've been in a patch, not a $30 expansion. :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DMC4 begins with the pope getting shot in the face. :psyduck:

Alright, fair enough. This may have been the better choice to fill my need for a spectacle fighter.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

AbstractNapper posted:

I haven't played it bit I've heard it's a very shallow war game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The only DMC game I ever played was 4 so I knew nothing about them... but I kinda got tired of DMC4 halfway through some castle sewer thing level. Camera felt really PSX era and I was fighting the camera more than the enemies, level design was kinda blah and combat wasn't grabbing me. But then again I've been spoiled with games since then such as Revengence, Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010
DMC is pretty decent, the only major problem is the tone. Ninja Theory redesigned Dante to try and appeal to a younger audience but they went way overboard and made him far too edgy and angsty.
The only other games in the series I've played are the first and the forth and while I don't think its as enjoyable as the first its miles better than the forth .

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xaris posted:

The only DMC game I ever played was 4 so I knew nothing about them... but I kinda got tired of DMC4 halfway through some castle sewer thing level. Camera felt really PSX era and I was fighting the camera more than the enemies, level design was kinda blah and combat wasn't grabbing me. But then again I've been spoiled with games since then such as Revengence, Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc.

Not sure how you had problems with the camera but were fine with Revengence's :v:. Though I'll agree that Revengence, Bayonetta, and Vanquish are all fantastic games that spoil me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
facerig is creepy as gently caress

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kaubocks posted:

RE: Bionic Commando (the gritty 2009 reboot, not Rearmed)

There is a really fun game hidden in there SOMEWHERE. The problem is it's buried under a horrible story, unlikable characters, and unsatisfying gunplay.

Basically the swinging feels great once you get used to it and I'm so butthurt that the game wasn't more than it could have been. Multiplayer could have been so much fun if they just made the guns feel good to use but sadly I think they've shut the servers down.

Yeah, it's likely the best Spider-Man game that the PC will ever get.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I've not played the reboot DMC but I don't know how anyone who played DMC 3 can claim they "redesigned him" to be all smug and edgy.

sikk nazzty pizza flipz

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Counter counter counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oL29x7Reh8

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm assuming Chronicles of Mystara is both totally rad and worth it?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Xaris posted:

Same. I bought 4 awhile back cause I had some fun with 3 at a friend's house and tired of it before getting to Dante. The levels are huge and take forever to get around in, the upgrades take forever to unlock basic things like double jump and sprint, probably because I could never get above a C in a level because how to succeed in the combo system isn't really explained and haven't cared enough to YouTube strats

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FadedReality posted:

I've not played the reboot DMC but I don't know how anyone who played DMC 3 can claim they "redesigned him" to be all smug and edgy.

sikk nazzty pizza flipz

In DMC3 he's basically the fifth Ninja Turtle, complete with life-defining love of pizza. And there's a bit where you fight a topless vampire lady who, when defeated, turns into a magical guitar that shoots electric bats.

Dante used to be a cartoon character, and a fun one at that. I'd never have described him as edgy though. Not in the slightest.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr E posted:

Not sure how you had problems with the camera but were fine with Revengence's :v:. Though I'll agree that Revengence, Bayonetta, and Vanquish are all fantastic games that spoil me.

I dunno I don't remember fighting the camera in Revengence that much whereas DMC4 really bothered me (I know it's a dated game and prolly was fine at the time)--especially around transition areas. I probably would have loved the game 6(?) years ago... but just not now especially with no vested interest or experience with the series either way.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Same. I bought 4 awhile back cause I had some fun with 3 at a friend's house and tired of it before getting to Dante. The levels are huge and take forever to get around in, the upgrades take forever to unlock basic things like double jump and sprint, probably because I could never get above a C in a level because how to succeed in the combo system isn't really explained and haven't cared enough to YouTube strats

Yeah sounds like you quit around the same point I did. I also sucked at getting above C/Bs :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

DMC Dante is basically a kid's idea of a cool character, somebody who just spouts cheesy one-liners and is basically invincible. Reboot Dante is what an angsty middle-schooler thinks a cool character is. Just a dude who treats everybody else like poo poo, swears a lot but only ever says "gently caress" and "poo poo" because they don't know any other swears, and thinks that anything controversial is immediately cool.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dominic White posted:

In DMC3 he's basically the fifth Ninja Turtle, complete with life-defining love of pizza. And there's a bit where you fight a topless vampire lady who, when defeated, turns into a magical guitar that shoots electric bats.

Dante used to be a cartoon character, and a fun one at that. I'd never have described him as edgy though. Not in the slightest.

So he's edgy in the same way sonic is edgy, essentially.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

DMC Dante is basically a kid's idea of a cool character, somebody who just spouts cheesy one-liners and is basically invincible. Reboot Dante is what an angsty middle-schooler thinks a cool character is. Just a dude who treats everybody else like poo poo, swears a lot but only ever says "gently caress" and "poo poo" because they don't know any other swears, and thinks that anything controversial is immediately cool.

Turns out a kid's idea of a cool character is way better than a middle-schooler's.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

So he's edgy in the same way sonic is edgy, essentially.

Pretty much. He occasionally got faintly lewd, but, again, only in the most cartoonish way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZdrJZo_ig

¡Flamenco!

Edit: I still don't understand why Capcom even wanted to reboot the series to begin with. DMC4 was the most successful one by a large margin - it's not like it was in decline. The reboot ended up selling terribly, too, so it's probably dead until Capcom decide to start dusting off abandoned IPs again.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dominic White posted:

Pretty much. He occasionally got faintly lewd, but, again, only in the most cartoonish way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZdrJZo_ig

¡Flamenco!

Edit: I still don't understand why Capcom even wanted to reboot the series to begin with. DMC4 was the most successful one by a large margin - it's not like it was in decline. The reboot ended up selling terribly, too, so it's probably dead until Capcom decide to start dusting off abandoned IPs again.

It doesn't matter how well they sold compared to other games in the series, it matters what the expectations were. DMC4 was considered a failure because they had ludicrous expectations for it as their first big HD action game. DmC had really low expectations and managed to clear them, so it'll probably eventually get a sequel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crazily enough expecting CoD numbers in a non-CoD game will leave you disappointed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
We all know the real money is in exploiting whales with pay to play mobile games anyway.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

From what I understand, sometime between DMC4 and DmC Capcom looked at western games sales and saw EA and Ubisoft pushing millions of copies and Activision pushing billions of copies, and realized they were small fry in the grand scheme of thing. They tried to change their business plan to focus more on big blockbuster titles that would appeal more to Western audiences and outsourced some of their franchises to western studios. They've had some success with this, but I think it's less because of their change in style and more due to the fact that they're actually advertising their games now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A new Mega Man game might appeal to western audiences.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

spider wisdom posted:

XCOM:EW talk -- did I read right in that it modifies enemy movement so they actually move vs. teleporting around the map? This sounds like something that should've been in a patch, not a $30 expansion. :(

I could've sworn it was patched into the base game when the expansion came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

spider wisdom posted:

No, that's something added by the Long War mod, which is a massive overhaul of just about every system in the game. Enemy Within runs to most of the same rules as the vanilla game, just with new unit types, missions, maps, Exalt, etc.

• Locked thread