Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

No, middle NZ is essentially a core casual racists who think NZ should return to the good old days of the 50s as seen through rose coloured glasses. They are easily identified through the mating call of "I'm not racist, but..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Middle NZ isn't racist but just think Māori are treated preferentially by the government for no good reason because we're all kiwis now regardless of the past and they should hurry up and just integrate into our British-based culture because we won by getting them to sign a treaty.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Middle NZ isn't racist but just think Māori are treated preferentially by the government for no good reason because we're all kiwis now regardless of the past and they should hurry up and just integrate into our British-based culture because we won by getting them to sign a treaty.

And don't get them started on those bloody foreigners*

*Does not apply to the British.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Half of them identify as British

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

You mean white, english speaking people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:racistrantaboutthewordpakeha:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought racists voted National or ACT

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wafflecopper posted:

They have plenty of options.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Varkk posted:

Once upon a time I used to think that New Zealand was a good country where racism was a thing that other people did.

Then I moved to London and met middle New Zealand, except they were half a world away on working holiday visas.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

To give them their due, National have walked back A LOT on race stuff since 2004. The current National party is committed to the Treaty, at least.

I guess I also separate the we-dont-like-all-these-chinese racists from the National/ACT style racists who at least understand that the former group are being racist, even if they deny their own racism.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/80592598/labour-and-green-leaders-announce-closer-cooperation-agreement

quote:

Labour and the Greens have announced a memorandum of understanding, to work together to change the Government.

Labour leader Andrew Little said it was time for a change.

"Labour and the Greens have reached agreement, common ground," he said.

Labour's relationship with the Green Party was strong and had reached a level of maturity that allowed this step, Little said.

He confirmed he would speak at the Green's annual conference next weekend.

Green co-leader Metiria Turei said change was on the way.

The Memorandum of Understanding [MOU] would provide crystal clear clarity that was lacking at the last two elections, she told a joint press conference.

A joint approach would change the Government, Turei said.

The MOU included an agreement to co-operate in Parliament and investigate a joint policy and/or campaign.

Little said Grant Robertson would be finance minister in a Labour-Green government but no other discussions had been held over any other roles.

"We agree to invite each other to appropriate forums," the MOU said.

Asked about NZ First's role Little said: "We (Labour and the Greens) both agree this is not a monogamous relationship," He welcomed any other party that wanted to change the government and advance a progressive agenda.

Turei said the shape of a cabinet came much further down the track after the election.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
First good news in a long time

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Comments on the article conclusively prove NZ is too dumb for mmp

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It really was pretty much a case of officially formalising something that everyone figured would be the case anyway wasn't it?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jacobin posted:

First good news in a long time

I mean it's good news if you never want a Labour gov in NZ ever again, due to the sizable % of the centre-ish part of the electorate that despise the Green party?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I mean it's good news if you never want a Labour gov in NZ ever again, due to the sizable % of the centre-ish part of the electorate that despise the Green party? poors and all who care about others.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I'm surprised at the "I was considering voting Labour but now I'm not so sure" comments.

Source: http://www.politicalcompass.org/nz2014

In any case, I hope this sends a better signal to Labour/Green voters in those tight electorate races and results in Dunne/Seymour losing their places next time around.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

It really was pretty much a case of officially formalising something that everyone figured would be the case anyway wasn't it?

Hopefully it means they're going to formalise tactical voting, something National mastered some time ago. So no more splitting Auckland Central between Greens / Labour and letting National take it.
pre:
	Party 		Candidate 	Votes 	% 	±% 	Party Votes 	% 	±%
	National 	Nikki Kaye 	12,494 	45.84 	+0.44 	12,652 		44.93 	+2.70
	Labour 		Jacinda Ardern 	11,894 	43.63 	+0.41 	6,101 		21.67 	-3.44
	Green 		Denise Roche 	2,080 	7.63 	-1.13 	6,242 		22.17 	-0.63
The breakdown above shows most of the Greens voters in Auckland central understood the concept but enough didn't to give the seat to Nikki Kaye. If either Jacinda Ardern or Denise Roche wasn't standing then the other one might have taken the seat.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Binkenstein posted:

I'm surprised at the "I was considering voting Labour but now I'm not so sure" comments.

This would be my concern, that it would put off long-time Labour voters who don't like those dirty hippie Greens.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
There is always a huge amount of concern trolling by nat supporters pressing the issue of any lack of MOU and making apparent light of some grand plans of Labour to cut out Greens if possible and we provide stable government so etc etc etc

This is a simple, understandable signal for people to understand and digest with time ahead and this is a big step forward compared to a lot of crap recently

I'd rather see National have to try it with NZF than be able to do what they do with Act and Dunne please...

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 31, 2016

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah their ads from last election cycle are a great example of that

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ivor Biggun posted:

Hopefully it means they're going to formalise tactical voting, something National mastered some time ago. So no more splitting Auckland Central between Greens / Labour and letting National take it.
pre:
	Party 		Candidate 	Votes 	% 	±% 	Party Votes 	% 	±%
	National 	Nikki Kaye 	12,494 	45.84 	+0.44 	12,652 		44.93 	+2.70
	Labour 		Jacinda Ardern 	11,894 	43.63 	+0.41 	6,101 		21.67 	-3.44
	Green 		Denise Roche 	2,080 	7.63 	-1.13 	6,242 		22.17 	-0.63
The breakdown above shows most of the Greens voters in Auckland central understood the concept but enough didn't to give the seat to Nikki Kaye. If either Jacinda Ardern or Denise Roche wasn't standing then the other one might have taken the seat.

Ditto for Chch central and Ōhāriu. No Dunne would be good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

The fact that they were not working together last election as a united front made National's narrative of Labour not being able to form a cohesive government and being "held to ransom" by the smaller parties that much stronger, which definitely held sway over several of my workmates who were for some reason direly afraid that it would be the Greens rather than National ruining the economy.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Taitale posted:

Ditto for Chch central and Ōhāriu. No Dunne would be good.

Yeah for Ōhāriu whether National choses to throw Peter Dunne to the wolves or not they're probably going to lose the United Future overhang.
pre:
	Party 		Candidate 		Votes 	% 	±% 	Party Votes 	% 	±%
	United Future 	Peter Dunne 		13,569 	36.58 	−2.00 	273	 	0.73 	−1.05
	Labour 		Virginia Andersen 	12,859 	34.66 	−0.18 	8,771 		23.42 	−3.11
	National 	Brett Hudson 		6,120 	16.50 	−2.06 	18,810 		50.23 	+0.63
	Green 		Tane Woodley 		2,764 	7.45 	+1.65 	5,623 		15.01 	+0.59
	Conservative 	Michael Brunner 	1,038 	2.80 	+1.78 	1,118 		2.99 	+1.31
Christchurch Central might stay National depending on which way the New Zealand First voters jump
pre:
	National 	Nicky Wagner 		15,346 	46.22 	+1.69 	15,301 		44.66 	+0.03
	Labour 		Tony Milne	 	12,926 	38.93 	−5.43 	8,995 		26.25 	−3.15
	Green 		David Moorhouse 	2,800 	8.43 	−0.14 	5,419 		15.82 	−0.44
	NZ First 	George Abraham	 	1,245 	3.75 	+3.75 	2,462 		7.19 	+2.23
	Conservative 	Michael Cooke	 	598 	1.80 	+0.18 	1065 		3.11 	+1.37
[e] Epsom isn't going left any time soon but it wouldn't take too many National supporters defensively switching back for David Seymour to be out.
pre:
	ACT 		David Seymour 		15,966 	43.08 	−1.02 	1,023 		2.72 	+0.17
	National 	Paul Goldsmith 		11,716 	31.61 	−6.19 	23,904 		63.45 	−1.07
	Labour 		Michael Wood 		3,470 	9.36 	−1.09 	5,045 		13.39 	−2.16
	Green 		Julie Anne Genter 	3,021 	8.15 	+2.14 	4,706 		12.49 	+0.46
	Conservative 	Christine Rankin 	1,725 	4.65 	+3.70 	932 		2.47 	+1.35
	NZ First 	Cliff Lyon 		621 	1.68 	+1.68 	1,308 		3.47 	+0.86

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 31, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
If they still can't manage to articulate an alternative vision for the country a formalised coalition isn't worth poo poo

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Do you really think Dunne will lose out next year?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's no current vision for there to be an alternative to.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
At this point I literally do not care if every electorate in the country goes blue as long as Dunne loses his seat.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Again I just want to repeat I think this is great, simple, informative news to send out- even as little and basic as it is-

Patrick Gowers first instinct is to react to the conference was to ask repeated questions to Little whether they would cut out the Greens if NZF were Kingmakers again and Andrew Little gave a reasonably solid non-answer/ diverted the question about the conference being about a MOU about changing the government.

These questions, no matter what, would/will be asked dozens of times and with even greater intensity leading up to an election. Its absolutely miniscule and months out but simple, repeatable, clear messaging like this seems like such a missing good for ages

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This will be better for the Greens than Labour IMO. Last election they got so much less of the vote than they were polling, I reckon a lot of that was people changing their minds at the booth because they didn't know what they were voting for.

This also gets rid if National's scaremongering around "the Greens are economic vandals and Labour will give then finance".

Honestly I'm happy to see this but it's just one step.

I also think it'll free up Labour to appeal to the center and start trying to take votes from National, who at the moment only seem to be bleeding into NZF.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm already seeing FB rants about how Labour have BETRAYED THEIR CORE VOTERS and how they should team up with NZF instead.

When the gently caress did Winston become so popular. I thought he was a curmudgeonly joke candidate who we tolerated because nobody actually voted for him.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jesus Christ, even the left is retarded, we are hosed

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wafflecopper posted:

Jesus Christ, even the left is retarded, we are hosed

If you're just realising that, you've obviously never spent a lot of time among leftists.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I've seen some crying from Greens about alienating their right wing potential voters as well lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

cptn_dr posted:

If you're just realising that, you've obviously never spent a lot of time among leftists.

Show him the D&D pictures thread, and the political cartoons thread!

Exclamation Marx posted:

I've seen some crying from Greens about alienating their right wing potential voters as well lol

Taking the conserve out of conservative is what the right-wing does, why the hell would anyone think the Greens have right-wing voters?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Exclamation Marx posted:

Lol actually what? That is just delusional

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

There are plenty of people who think the Greens should be a "post left-right" ecologist party, like you see in Europe.

Love the environment, hate the poors living in it :thumbsup:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The only spanner in the works is the entire right side of the equation who couldn't give a poo poo about the environment and have said they would never form a government with the Greens.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah the risk was never that the Greens would switch -- the bigger deal is that Green/Labour are officially working together and can coordinate their poo poo this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Oh I do and I have, I just didn't realise it was quite that bad

• Locked thread