Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wow, that last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That liquid does not look like liquid, and that is probably the most nitpicky thing I've ever said about a comic.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Knocking back straight shots of honey mustard is an ancient Amazonian tradition.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Boy the first three issues of Checkmate volume 1 are frighteningly relevant.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

That liquid does not look like liquid, and that is probably the most nitpicky thing I've ever said about a comic.

Well, it looks like a liquid.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

redbackground posted:

Well, it looks like a liquid.

Are you suggesting Ember made her a deal?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So the fake Clark Kent spoiler is out there. My reaction (without naming who it is for those that don't want to know) is that it is incredibly disappointing. Like the only worse candidate would be N52 Superman brought back to life.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

So the fake Clark Kent spoiler is out there. My reaction (without naming who it is for those that don't want to know) is that it is incredibly disappointing. Like the only worse candidate would be N52 Superman brought back to life.

Who is it????

OH DAMMIT!

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well in other news, DC is working out their digital sub service. I am still under an NDA for my part of the market research survey but the planned features sound pretty excellent.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/06/dc-comics-planning-digital-subscription-with-amazon-prime-and-everything-changes/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't hover over this if you don't want to know: The fake Clark Kent is really Mxyzptlk. So it actually was one of the suspects listed in the back of Superman 18.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Very excited, mostly because I have an Amazon Prime account so if what's said in BC is true I won't have to pay much extra for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Don't hover over this if you don't want to know: The fake Clark Kent is really Mxyzptlk. So it actually was one of the suspects listed in the back of Superman 18.

Well this sucks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Well in other news, DC is working out their digital sub service. I am still under an NDA for my part of the market research survey but the planned features sound pretty excellent.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/06/dc-comics-planning-digital-subscription-with-amazon-prime-and-everything-changes/
Put every comic published before rebirth in available to read comic database day 1 DC! Do it! :unsmigghh:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Am I crazy or does this actually own? Who were yall hoping for that would be better?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Am I crazy or does this actually own? Who were yall hoping for that would be better?

I wanted Superboy Primebecause I am a crazy person.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

purple death ray posted:

As a long time huge Superman fan Mxyzptlk is the one thing I hate every time it's brought up. I have never and will never like the character. So the answer is literally anybody would have been better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

The good money was on Superboy Prime

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah definitely was hoping for Superboy Prime. It also doesn't make any sense that Mxy was jealous and wanting to get with Lois if he knew he wasn't the real Clark.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Oh good, DC’s doing that thing I’ve been hoping they’d do for a while now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Amusingly, this is the second time they pull that fake out with Mxy but at least on Injustice Y3 was handled slightly better.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ha! He was my guess for Oz's prisoner, though I didn't think they'd make him the fake Clark as well.

It's kind of a cheat though, isn't it? Fake Clark appeared just as Rebirth started, and yet all of Oz's prisoners we see by the time Mxy escaped were collected throughout Rebirth. Are we supposed to think that Mxy escaped the prison, traveled back in time, then became Fake Clark?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I becha whatever Amazon Prime comics subscription won't be accessable in my country. Good thing I've got a lifetime's worth of DC back catalog to read from sales already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just hope it's not like Comixology where they don't put up the whole series, and just offer the first two volumes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Aww... but it was finally Prime Time!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jiro posted:

Welp......I would THINK that it gets solved at the end, also Joker Tim smile is pretty great.

Also this is making me think that this is someone that looked up to Superman judging by the wall scribbles that Not Ozymandias scooped up at some point. Maybe Mxy posing as Clark?

YES YEEESSSSSS I guessed correctly! THE BIGGEST BRAIN AM WINNDING AGAIN! AND NOW I SHALL EXCAPE CAPTIVITY FOR NO RAISIN!

Well it's nice this long dangling plot thread from the lesser Superman book was given a lesser answer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't quite parse which Superman he's talking about with the 'not my Clark' line in Dini's half, but it'd be cool if they're not bailing on the Myxlplyx/5th dimension stuff from Morrison's Action. I thought that was all pretty neat.

I mean, yeah '5th Dimension/he can be/do anything' but they're already clamping him down, telling us he's a specific one of these Superman's rival, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 8, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I've been reading Superman but not Action Comics. Started the crossover part in Action today and immediately was annoyed because of the Clark Kent stuff they're referring to that I didn't read. Not finishing the issue until I catch up on this storyline. What's the essential issues?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shovelmint posted:

So I've been reading Superman but not Action Comics. Started the crossover part in Action today and immediately was annoyed because of the Clark Kent stuff they're referring to that I didn't read. Not finishing the issue until I catch up on this storyline. What's the essential issues?

For what it's worth I haven't been reading Action either and I was able to piece the storyline together from context just fine. I actually think it's pretty good? Everyone here is angry about it but I think basically it's fine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm currently reading through a list of the 25 top Batman comics to increase my knowledge of the character. I took a break from my position at the top of the list (#22) to read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, since it came with The Dark Knight Returns on Comixology and I had already read that one.

Holy hell this is the best awful comic I've ever read. The art is so off-model it's like a cross between Picasso and SimCity 3000 adviser portraits, the dialogue is bizarre in the way only Frank Miller can write ("YOU LET HER WEAR THE TIGHTS"), and heroes and villains are killed off left and right to try and remain as edgy as possible in spite of the weird 80s cyberpunk design. It's like a slow motion train wreck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, Lobdell manages to write a Jason that is both a badass and an utter dork. The best part? He can't hold his liquor! :haw:

I was seriously miffed by the way Eternal and Robin War depicted him as an alcoholic, spending all of his free time at bars so I'm more than happy for this development. And really when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Jason never had a normal childhood so is only natural he is socially awkward, making him even more relatable.

The fact he is hilariously self aware helps a lot of course.

And hey, him drunkenly hitting on Artemis is freaking adorable. :swoon:

As for the issue itself, it was Secret Origins: Artemis. I'm not familiar with her old backstory but I like the elements Lobdell introduced here. That said, despite all of this, the issue was less memorable than Bizarro's issue. Expected I guess since it was basically pure exposition spiced with some wonderful Jason moments.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shovelmint posted:

In the wake of N52 Superman's death, Lex Luthor grabs the cape, makes himself a Superman suit and decides to be Metropolis' new Soup.
Superman flies in and makes himself known and goes 'You're Lex Luthor. You're bad!" and Lex goes 'imposter!' and they start fighting.
Then Doomsday appears and another Clark Kent shows up going 'What a scoop!' Everyone's confused.
Not-Clark is just a civilian and has some story about having an agreement with N52 Superman to pretend to be his secret identity. Superman does a bunch of tests and this guy has no superpowers and doesn't appear to be lying, so Superman has to let him be.
Lois, meanwhile, infiltrates N52 Lois' life at the Daily Planet (N52 Lois got eaten by a Bizarro Earth 3 Lois clone in the first issue of 'Superwoman' :D) to keep an eye on Not-Clark and he puts it on real strong that they are destined to be together and they go on a creepy date.
Lois rebuffs him and he follows her to her house and creepily spies their family through the windows.

You're caught up.

Edit: I'm a bit worried about JLA. This issue read horribly.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 8, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uh. JLA #2 got real strange real quick. The drastic art change from Reis to Watanabe didn't do any favors but the plot itself just seems like it banked a sharp left into what?ville.

WW#18 was a goddamn powerful issue. This Godwatch arc is shaping up to be an incredible storyline. I'm also of the mind that Diana will end up killing either Deimos or Phobos before the run is over in a direct parallel to post-Crisis canon. Here's hoping! :buddy:

Pick of the week is probably Detective Comics or, very surprisingly, Titans. Detective Comics is delivering a seriously good Cass Cain storyline imo, but I like that Titans is settling in to some straightforward, team-based superheroics after getting all that "WHOO ARREE WEEE~~~?" stuff out of the way.

New Super-Man continues to be really fun -- "I-Ching is now one of my favorite characters" is a phrase I'd never thought to utter -- and Hal Jordan and the GLC has a heavily Guy-centric issue. Good poo poo all 'round.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Quick. Put Midnighter on the Justice League and he'll write it good!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the part where Ryan being able to track the Extremists' energy signature was a big deal or something for about a page but they just took over an entire country anyway sooo hey there they are.

I dunno. The issue just felt really off. I don't wanna bring up any Champions comparisons but, welp, it's the first comparison that came to mind.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Uh. JLA #2 got real strange real quick. The drastic art change from Reis to Watanabe didn't do any favors but the plot itself just seems like it banked a sharp left into what?ville.

WW#18 was a goddamn powerful issue. This Godwatch arc is shaping up to be an incredible storyline. I'm also of the mind that Diana will end up killing either Deimos or Phobos before the run is over in a direct parallel to post-Crisis canon. Here's hoping! :buddy:

Pick of the week is probably Detective Comics or, very surprisingly, Titans. Detective Comics is delivering a seriously good Cass Cain storyline imo, but I like that Titans is settling in to some straightforward, team-based superheroics after getting all that "WHOO ARREE WEEE~~~?" stuff out of the way.

New Super-Man continues to be really fun -- "I-Ching is now one of my favorite characters" is a phrase I'd never thought to utter -- and Hal Jordan and the GLC has a heavily Guy-centric issue. Good poo poo all 'round.

Couldn't disagree more about Titans. A Fearsome Five rehash has got to be about the most boring Titans story I could imagine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Couldn't disagree more about Titans. A Fearsome Five rehash has got to be about the most boring Titans story I could imagine.

The Fearsome Five are a decent villain team. I have no issue with them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can someone help me figure out the implications of some of these pages?

so, a seismologist calls in to warn about an impending Gotham earthquake...they don't answer and her final words overlay an empty Batcave
at first I was like...wait, did she call Batman? Why? Aren't there like, organizations for this she'd report back to? Was she calling someone else who didn't answer, and Batman was listening in? Cuz I know Batman taps.
Let's say she was probably calling Batman...so, I guess he's just not there? and doesn't have an answering machine? you'll get why I ask this in the next few pages.
I kind of switched to thinking, "Well, okay, he got the call, and just ran off in a moment, so it pans to the cave and she's still talking but he's already off to help...the city prepare, warn people, whatever"...but I'm immediately proven wrong by what actually happens the next issue.
some indeterminate amount of time passes and there's a new issue, where Batman and co have clearly received no warning of impending disaster, just going about their lives, Batman's just on the phone gabbing about some low level gotham goofballs when...tragic hilarity strikes

so what's the deal here? is Batman just wildly incompetent? Was he the only person she was supposed to call? She didn't try to call anyone else? Did Gotham even get prepared for this? It doesn't look like a single person knew it might be coming. more importantly though, how does Batman drop the ball that wildly? or was it just artistically putting her final words over an empty batcave, but not implying that the words were being heard in that cave? it's kind of hilarious
it turns out later that some of the Wayne buildings were built like super earthquake proof (to the point they basically survive completely intact and unspoiled where every other building is like...large gray potato chips) despite this often being drawn as an earthquake that's like, the earth disintegrating, so Batman with warning could have had people evacuated, and put enmass into this buildings...only Oracle was inside, otherwise she'd be in a pile of rubble and fire like everyone else

oh noooooooo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody ever thought an East Coast city like Gotham would have an earthquake. People thought Bruce Wayne was a quack for having earthquake insurance on his buildings or something.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No Man's Land Stuff!

The obvious answer is that this is someone that Bruce Wayne personally funded, he gave her a number to call in an emergency, and he was off busy Batmanning or something and when the call got there his answering machine was completely full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is it such a reach that Batman simply monitors emergency channels like whoever she was actually trying to call and they just got unlucky and nobody was in the cave at the time? Like obviously Batman listens to the police band, I don't think it's weird to assume he's intercepting other emergency services at the same time.