Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

There a game where this worked well?

Tomb Raider and The Last of Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I never got around to finishing the second one but I felt it worked fine in the Tomb Raider reboot.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I know it's not the case, but I like the idea that, based on the wording used, Bioware themselves still aren't sure why dadRyder passed the Pathfinder title to kidRyder with about a month to release date.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I know it's not the case, but I like the idea that, based on the wording used, Bioware themselves still aren't sure why dadRyder passed the Pathfinder title to kidRyder with about a month to release date.

He literally tripped and dropped his special pathfinder badge. Shorty Ryder picked it up first, said "finders keepers" and it kind of just spiralled out from there.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hijinx ensue when dadryder tries to take it back

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Garson: "Okay, team. Time for everyone to get an assignment."
Shorty: "DIBS ON PATHFINDER!"
Alec: *under his breath* "drat."

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

There a game where this worked well?

it worked super well in MGSV

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A reasonable thing to guess would be Ryder Senior has to stay on the Ark in some short of leadership role. But knowing Blizzard he'll likely be infected with some sort of nanomachine virus that won't let him leave. Or he worked with Cerberus and gets branded a criminal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

With blizzard it would be Corruption, but with Bioware I imagine politics shutting him out is more likely.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

Probably still my favorite Dragon Age game just because of the smaller scope of the game's narrative.

It would be nice if instead of galaxy-saving quest we just got to carve out a home for our ark and it was all about dealing with the people and factions standing in the way of that.

I don't know what kind of brain disease I have but DA2 is my favorite Dragon Age. To me it's so much more than the sum of it's awful, wrong-headed parts and I can't figure out why.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

MadBimber posted:

it worked super well in MGSV

Oh dang, you're right!
I am at peace

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe it'll be an Avatar thing, where the kids are genetically "close enough" to their dad that the SAM implant responds to them as Pathfinder when dad dies without officially appointing a successor?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In Mass Effect, the beacon almost hit Ashley/Kaidan and Shep got in the way. Perhaps this time the Remnant VI almost hits Shorty but dad interferes. However, while the Beacon blast gave Shep visions to save the galaxy, its pure signal cripples Alec and the weakened, partially blocked signal merges with Shorty to give her protagonist powers. With these powers we must find the rest of the Remnant signal to fix our father.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yay, with a female Turian I can finally experience my own Garrus romance!

E: Is she 95kg before or after she puts her armor on?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You get the pathfinder badge because you were the one daddy loved most and the rest of the game is helping your sibling come to terms with the fact they were a 'suprise baby' from one wild night with an Omega Station stripper.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

jfood posted:

You get the pathfinder badge because you were the one daddy loved most and the rest of the game is helping your sibling come to terms with the fact they were a 'suprise baby' from one wild night with an Omega Station stripper.

Uh, they're twins so that would be super awkward for both!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Codependent Poster posted:

Bonus baby is a pretty big surprise tbf.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My wife is a twin. Due to ovulation shenanigans, she was conceived two weeks before her brother but he was born first. Technically she's the eldest, but he was the first in their eyes.

Her parents literally forgot her on their birthday one year. Got him two new cars before they got her a used one.

Whichever Ryder you play, you are that sibling.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like your wife's parents are a couple of cloacas.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

'Raised as twins', but this big reveal will inject a much needed dose of conflict and daddy issues into the plot during the prologue.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PureRok posted:

Yay, with a female Turian I can finally experience my own Garrus romance!

E: Is she 95kg before or after she puts her armor on?

Is her weight important to whether she is your waifu or not? Typical men!!!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Isn't turian skin partially metal to reflect the harsh radiation in their homeworld?

Also she is quite tall, so that adds to it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I hope that Vetra does not have a romance plot (she will)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wait a second they still haven't changed Peebee's name? bioware please

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Peebee's just a nickname. Her real name is Pel'a'lsauaruaisa B'ellenchantress or something.

marshmallow creep posted:

My wife is a twin. Due to ovulation shenanigans, she was conceived two weeks before her brother but he was born first. Technically she's the eldest, but he was the first in their eyes.

Her parents literally forgot her on their birthday one year. Got him two new cars before they got her a used one.

Whichever Ryder you play, you are that sibling.

Is your wife Chinese or something? That sounds more like a cultural female thing than a first born twin thing.

I bet DadRyder offers himself up as a hostage to the Kett or whatever early on, while you have to go out and discover poo poo or whatever.

Also, EVERY character on your team will have a romance arc, I bet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

steakmancer posted:

I don't know what kind of brain disease I have but DA2 is my favorite Dragon Age. To me it's so much more than the sum of it's awful, wrong-headed parts and I can't figure out why.

I liked 2 more than Inquisition. Didn't play Origins. Maybe because 2 was my first experience and Inquisition seemed like more of the same? I did prefer the combat and tactics of 2 over Inquisition and that plays a big part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drifter posted:

Peebee's just a nickname. Her real name is Pel'a'lsauaruaisa B'ellenchantress or something.

Is your wife Chinese or something? That sounds more like a cultural female thing than a first born twin thing.

I bet DadRyder offers himself up as a hostage to the Kett or whatever early on, while you have to go out and discover poo poo or whatever.

Also, EVERY character on your team will have a romance arc, I bet.

I am guessing dadbyRyder will die in the first half.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i assume vetra's visor looks better in motion because it just seems to obscure half her face in those shots

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Milky Moor posted:

i assume vetra's visor looks better in motion because it just seems to obscure half her face in those shots

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm trying to find a gif of the dead on arms-crossed shot they have of her in one of the trailers, but I have this "in motion" image in the OP

It'd be cool if she turns or takes that thing off at some point, maybe she's one of those nerdy google-glass cyborg types and it's physically jammed into your skull.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm trying to find a gif of the dead on arms-crossed shot they have of her in one of the trailers, but I have this "in motion" image in the OP

It'd be cool if she turns or takes that thing off at some point, maybe she's one of those nerdy google-glass cyborg types and it's physically jammed into your skull.

She wears a regular human visor that she just glues to her skull since she doesn't have ears to hold it in place.

I think it's fine. She doesn't have to take it off. It'll probably come off with her combat suit during certain cutscenes, I'm sure of it though.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

She wears a regular human visor that she just glues to her skull since she doesn't have ears to hold it in place.

I think it's fine. She doesn't have to take it off. It'll probably come off with her combat suit during certain cutscenes, I'm sure of it though.

It's stuck on using the same tech as Samara's head doodads. (It looks dumb as hell and I thought the same thing about the no-ears. Garrus' visor at least wrapped around his head and looked like it was designed for a turrian skull)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I mean, to be fair, you could just say the earpieces are spring loaded and clamp to her head. I mean, it's not unreasonable. :shrug:

I don't think the visor in front of her eyes looks bad at all. It's better than monocle squidman.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The turian squad member has to wear a visor, because Garrus wore a visor.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

All turians are extremely near-sighted in one eye. Just the one though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The turian squad member has to wear a visor, because Garrus wore a visor.

Don't lots of them wear a visor when they're out fighting? Or was that not the case? I mean, lots of navy seals and poo poo wear sunglasses. I'm literally a navy seal slash expert army ranger sniper, so I would know this factoid.
But yeah, I would have LOVED Bioware to not be lazy fuckers and give us a Volus or even the big gorilla alien shakespeare aliens as a team member. Pussies.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 10, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The lady garrus does look kinda cool though but I think metallic bird aliens are neat

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Drifter posted:

Don't lots of them wear a visor when they're out fighting? Or was that not the case? I mean, lots of navy seals and poo poo wear sunglasses. I'm literally a navy seal slash expert army ranger sniper, so I would know this factoid.

I don't recall any other turians ever wearing a visor, it kinda just became the signature thing for Garrus and he never appeared without it, even when he was out of his combat armor. Jaal's "monocle" is probably supposed to be a similar sniper's tool. Vetra's bio also says that her abilities focus on strengthening her shields and her visor kinda looks like the Sentry Interface from the old games, which strengthened Shepard's shields.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The visor owns.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So come to find out Jaal is written by Cathleen Rootsaert, who was Kaidan's writer in ME3. I liked him well enough in ME3, and people in general seem to have liked him better in 3 than they did Ashley.

And supposedly a very swiftly deleted tweet from someone at Bioware confirmed that Vetra is romanceable, so (maybe) sorry Dr. Abysmal. Officially, though, they'll only say that you need to talk to her in game to find out, and I've seen no screencap of this supposed tweet. Perhaps Dr. Abysmal will get his/her wish?

quote:

Post by Hrungr on 10 hours ago
Admiral Anderson ‏@ieat_JEDi
Are there writers for characters and writers for the story or do all of the writers contribute to both equally?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Each npc and each mission is owned by a single writer. After a writer crafts a given story mission, the writers who own each >

squadmate do a pass to make sure their character reacts appropriately to everything in that story. Of course, story development >

in general is highly collaborative, and often involves multiple writers, artists, cinematic & level designers working together.

My wife after reading the above: "They RP that poo poo."

Saw someone say "Nyx was the set name of the me3mp character of turian sentinel." I was not actually aware (or simply don't remember) that MP characters had something like default names. It may be a coincidence or a hint of how she's built?

quote:

Peter Miller ‏@thediscoeffect
Hey :) Will you need to 'earn' dialogue choices in ME:A thru your previous actions/speech (like in ME1-3) or full access always?

Not in the persuade/intimidate sense, but yes, some options only appear because of your story choices.

Peter Miller ‏@thediscoeffect
ok ty. I was worried that if you are a jerk to everyone, it doesn't have consequences. I liked "earning" actions in the trilogy

Oh, there are consequences. And characters will call back to stuff you said or did earlier. :)

So no Paragon/Renegade meter, but some options won't appear if you haven't done something to set them up. I like that.

quote:

Matthew ‏@mhess600
@tibermoon will we have internet to play Mass Effect Andromeda?😥

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
@mhess600 Nope, you can play offline. :)

Also good.

quote:

Tuff Thomas ‏@sgthomas15
will there be a enter/exit animation for the nomad?

Aaryn Flynn aarynflynn
Nope it took long and was annoying. Looked great at first but got in the way of gameplay

So no mounting/dismounting animation equivalent. Basically pop in and out in an instant.

quote:

Sean Padden ‏@seanpadden4
Just a small question I've been wondering about Drack.
Is he part of Clan Urdnot or a different Krogan Clan?

Keep an eye out for the answer in his bio, coming up soon. :)