Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Gray Matter posted:

Are you talking Tricare Reserves Select, or Tricare Prime? Because despite the misleading naming scheme, they are very different animals. TRS actually results in much better medical care in my experience. You can go out to any civilian provider without getting your visit pre-approved, and you aren't forced to see "doctors" in military clinics.

whatever the active duty one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

whatever the active duty one was.

Yeah that's Prime. TRS is a PPO plan with low deductible and low catastrophic cap. The downside is the reserves are on fire and no one's at the wheel

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
If you are somewhere that it is offered I highly recommend USFHP.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1208255619851046916?s=19

Thanks The Navy Reservist for these great tips. I hope you let the NOSCs know how to do their jobs when Sailors follow this process and still don't get paid. Took me 4 months and escalating to apparently someone in Norfolk who is now over all of respay or something to get paid for my E-AT this summer

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Is there a Step 7: Make the appropriate sacrificial offering to ensure that Congress can figure out how to pass legislation? Not that I would ever make a possibly contemptuous implication that they don’t care about us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Step: 8 take orders at the nosc and learn who all the shitbags are to avoid. This is extremely tedious but you can at least get a ribbon after a month or so.

It’s stupid but it worked for me.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nick Soapdish posted:

Thanks The Navy Reservist for these great tips. I hope you let the NOSCs know how to do their jobs when Sailors follow this process and still don't get paid. Took me 4 months and escalating to apparently someone in Norfolk who is now over all of respay or something to get paid for my E-AT this summer

Some RCC Captain was at our reserve center last drill. His first talking point was "Navy reserve pay is messed up. Sorry about that. We closed all the PSDs to afford a new pay system, so we're implementing that. That's why everything sucks."

So straight from RCC: Pay sucks right now, and they know.

And they're fixing it? Probably?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah the loving never stops FTN

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Step 7: Become the command CPPA.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Long time lurker, capable sailor, first time poster- ProPublica wrote up the McCain disaster, and while I know it’s been discussed at length in here, this article was very informative for those of us who aren’t acronym fluent.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-uss-mccain-crash/navy-installed-touch-screen-steering-ten-sailors-paid-with-their-lives/

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Our Navy serves a vital role in executing the fleet's mission. That said the DON has a LOT of systemic issues that are in no way being addressed. I am being the change I wish to see by getting the gently caress out. Granted my community is even more hosed up than a lot of other parts, but, whatever. Namaste.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a professional mariner and I say touch screen steering is about the dumbest thing I can think of

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When you have to periodically reboot your steering wheel, something is very wrong.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
The fact that there are soooo many arguments against the system, but saving money was the main thing leading to it’s selection kind of shows how messed up some folks’ priorities are. Hell, the dude who made that call probably even has some stars right now.

Oh quick plug for Pentagon Wars (both the movie and the book honestly). The stories of the book and some of the case studies give a peak into why some of our current acquisitions structure is the way it is. Alot of the bullshit that was exposed back then wasn’t regulated/legislated away but rather just changed into a different flavor of wrong.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
First time seeing more details about the system, it seems a lot more janky and weirdly complicated than any civilian bridge automation I've ever seen, even DP systems on vessels with more complicated propulsion arrangements. Sounds like there's a physical wheel, but touchscreen throttles???

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's that stupid loving TSLA attitude of the future being touchscreens and shoehorning them into applications they shouldn't be used for

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

shovelbum posted:

First time seeing more details about the system, it seems a lot more janky and weirdly complicated than any civilian bridge automation I've ever seen, even DP systems on vessels with more complicated propulsion arrangements. Sounds like there's a physical wheel, but touchscreen throttles???

This is true of every command and control system in the fleet thats been developed over the last decade despite enormous pushback from the technical community. I mean after all Im only a 13, maybe if I was an SES in DC theyd listen to me.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
So some of the folks that work alongside my robotics lab group developed an app by which they can use waypoints and other commands to control USVs. There was definitely part of me that wondered how long until an admiral pushes for systems like that to control the strike group from his ipad.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So some of the folks that work alongside my robotics lab group developed an app by which they can use waypoints and other commands to control USVs. There was definitely part of me that wondered how long until an admiral pushes for systems like that to control the strike group from his ipad.

Just tell him he can right click ->Dock an entire strike group at whatever dock is best for grifting.

Easy sell.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Last shipping company I worked for, the CEO showed up this video and told us to prepare for this to happen ANY DAY NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwx5VP8kWA

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

FrozenVent posted:

Last shipping company I worked for, the CEO showed up this video and told us to prepare for this to happen ANY DAY NOW.

Oh god.... that video... literally those folks have been begging one of my advisors constantly to try to get him to help them debug their poo poo to try to make that actually happen.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Seems like a Star Trek type of fantasy. Marine engineering and navigation will always be a human endeavor. Sure, some things will get automated but at the end of the day nothing can replace human beings being there to make decisions.

Semi attractive blondes in high heels making maintenance decisions without walking spaces and inspecting poo poo, yeah right.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
K so just realized I didn’t plug this resource (and if I did sorry, literally just pulled up my post history and didn’t see it)

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Big time wealth of knowledge that I’ve passed onto folks to help them get an extra edge for interviews as well as to be better prepared for going to schools for degrees. Feel free to hit me up on PMs if you or any of your peeps want insight to some of the courses, but also I’ve done some in person and some just working through materials so may not be able to weigh in.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm really thankful ProPublica is putting this stuff out.

piL fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 23, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

i wonder which excites CEOs more, all the holographic displays, or the thought of firing everyone

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
today marks two years in and i wish i could time travel to slap the piss out of me two years ago

i remember a poster here who i think was a STG, do they still post? ive got STG related questions and my current division is in the middle of an upheaval (senior guys leaving/left, mostly juniors here, nobody really knows whats going on except oh poo poo time to cap the dome because shits busted)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boy are my arms tired posted:

today marks two years in and i wish i could time travel to slap the piss out of me two years ago

i remember a poster here who i think was a STG, do they still post? ive got STG related questions and my current division is in the middle of an upheaval (senior guys leaving/left, mostly juniors here, nobody really knows whats going on except oh poo poo time to cap the dome because shits busted)

Questions like: "Does anybody know what an Ohio class submarine sounds like? Asking for a friend."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i wonder which excites CEOs more, all the holographic displays, or the thought of firing everyone

I mean the holographic displays are foreplay, the thought of firing everyone under them except for 3 people paid barely a living wage while they pocket everything that they don't have to pay to investors makes them paint the walls of their mansions with jizz.

The real endgame is finding ways to automate those 3 people in the commercial because you don't have to pay AI, and drones can't go on strike for better wages and living conditions.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 23, 2019

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

piL posted:

Questions like: "Does anybody know what an Ohio class submarine sounds like? Asking for a friend."

lmao, as if they dont already have a hundred cuts of that

no, more like shore duty questions and advancement stuff. im still a few years out until my window opens but im not sure what all my options are, including however the hell people manage to swing a contractor job teaching ops to a-school scrubs

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

maffew buildings posted:

Our Navy serves a vital role in executing the fleet's mission. That said the DON has a LOT of systemic issues that are in no way being addressed. I am being the change I wish to see by getting the gently caress out. Granted my community is even more hosed up than a lot of other parts, but, whatever. Namaste.

This is likely interesting only to me, but after the poo poo show that was the Gallagher trial a full review of the JAG corps was ordered. And not an internal “we’ll figure out what’s wrong and get back to you as long as the people responsible aren’t too well connected.” Bringing in outside lawyers with zero ties to DoD. I’m cautiously optimistic.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Howard Phillips posted:

Seems like a Star Trek type of fantasy. Marine engineering and navigation will always be a human endeavor. Sure, some things will get automated but at the end of the day nothing can replace human beings being there to make decisions.

Semi attractive blondes in high heels making maintenance decisions without walking spaces and inspecting poo poo, yeah right.

Slow speed two strokes are so much more fuel efficient than any alternative that they more than offset the cost of maintenance anyway, and once you have the engine room guys on board you don't need to do any high reliability engineering of auxiliaries you can just slap stuff together and the engineers will fix it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS is a former STG, but both of us got out of the navy closer to 2010 than today.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

lmao, as if they dont already have a hundred cuts of that

no, more like shore duty questions and advancement stuff. im still a few years out until my window opens but im not sure what all my options are, including however the hell people manage to swing a contractor job teaching ops to a-school scrubs

So for shore dug the first thing you need to do is deny your c way window get the gently caress out and go to college, hth

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

piL posted:

Sounds an awful lot like one hand clapping.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Slow speed two strokes are so much more fuel efficient than any alternative that they more than offset the cost of maintenance anyway, and once you have the engine room guys on board you don't need to do any high reliability engineering of auxiliaries you can just slap stuff together and the engineers will fix it

Preach.

I have an undergrad in EE and a master's in Computer Engineering. Have worked as a senior systems engineer in the defense industry in my post Navy life and a certified geek who loves to mess around with computers and tech in general but even then I don't believe in technology improving the fundamental needs of human life. Improved means to unimproved needs. Warfighting, on land, sea, air, or space, is inherently about decision making and using violence to further political goals. Yes, engineering (running propulsion and electrical distribution) is about technology. Yes, there are ways to automate things and improve certain processes but at the end of the day machines and computers break. Human beings must be there to see to them.

Simplicity and high quality parts that increase reliability are what we need to aim for. Simpler systems last longer and are easier to maintain.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Is it the Navy brand to go simpler and/or logically lower tech?

Like I always feel the admirals’ discussions about dwindling recruitment or increased attrition always have one junior dude pitch improving quality of life only to be met with chorus of laughs followed by demands to reduce manning requirements on ships with more unproven automation. I feel like maybe we could just trick the crusty old white guys in charge thinking Battlestar Galactica is an advanced simulation into the dangers of high tech and lower manning. Maybe once I caffeinate I’ll think about that punctuation nonsense on my posts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

Simplicity and high quality parts that increase reliability are what we need to aim for. Simpler systems last longer and are easier to maintain.

Counterpoint: Simple systems don’t generate Gigabytes of diagnostic data for a highly paid team of contracting consultants to run through an excel and tell you with pretty graphs about impending failures that the mechanics already knew about. Why don’t you want to create more jobs?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Preach.

I have an undergrad in EE and a master's in Computer Engineering. Have worked as a senior systems engineer in the defense industry in my post Navy life and a certified geek who loves to mess around with computers and tech in general but even then I don't believe in technology improving the fundamental needs of human life. Improved means to unimproved needs. Warfighting, on land, sea, air, or space, is inherently about decision making and using violence to further political goals. Yes, engineering (running propulsion and electrical distribution) is about technology. Yes, there are ways to automate things and improve certain processes but at the end of the day machines and computers break. Human beings must be there to see to them.

and this is why you will never lead your field

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I can confirm that the system does have a physical wheel that the sailors use for steering. We had the same set up on my first ship, and while I won't get into detail, by the time I left, we started to have problems with the system too.

I'm still reading the ProPublica article now, but I'm glad that they got both this and the Fitz piece out in the same year. I think that the work they've done highlighting the problems we had is important.

The other articles they've published have also been really good, from the structural problems that contributed to the collisions, to the long term issues of the Minesweeper fleet, they've done some incredible work. They also published one on CDR Benson not too long ago on the ongoing struggles he's had. I need to reach out to him again and see how he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Wait until you sail 1st and deal with all the poo poo the company does to push for that extra dollar while you struggle to get any maintenance done cause your port stays are 6-10 hours since you're always behind schedule because the company doesnt realize you're running around in a 40 year old ship with the wrong prop. They will yank humans off ships the second they get regulatory approval, whether or not the system actually works.

We solve climate change by washing all our exhaust gases into the rapidly acidifying oceans, take an hour to change fuel before ECA/CARB zones because someone decided that was all they wanted to wait, get all sorts of environmental and safety exemptions because this industry is about as crooked as it gets. gently caress ships.