Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure I'll be around tonight or tomorrow morning to do the 2018 OP, so if someone else wants to take over the list of counterrevolutionary Greggs-havers, that's fine.

I don't mind giving it a go - I've had to cancel my new years plans due to family stuff, so I've not anything to do this evening.

Anyone ideas for titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I look forward to the return of impressment to man our floating museums, and will be carefully checking my drinks tonight for the King's shilling/old 5ps.
I worked as a tour guide for like 4 or 5 years and it's genuinely demanding work, particularly for those working outdoors.

Carecat posted:

GuardianOpinion.jpg

Mmmmm yes muscular liberalism

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Anyone ideas for titles?

"All Tories Are Cunts"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nopantsjack posted:

Real centrist muscle aka relieving yourself

e: That's my suggestion for the title too.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Carecat posted:

GuardianOpinion.jpg

Power he only had because he openly agreed with the Tories so much that they offered him a job.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

"All Tories Are Cunts"

I said headline titles, not the main body. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I reckon I could probably take the peer lord adonis in a fight, tbh. He doesn't look that swole.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I reckon I could probably take the peer lord adonis in a fight, tbh. He doesn't look that swole.

Hope you got a good dentist m80

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno - he looks like a biter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I make no claims about the martial prowess of the unennobled lord_adonis. I'm sure he could defeat anybody provided he could draw power from his ancestral car park.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

feedmegin posted:

Pasties are the first Proper Meal (ie not cut up sausage in a jar of curry sauce) I learned to make when I moved to the US and couldn't just buy a Ginsters. They're literally the reason I learned how to cook 17 years ago or so. So in conclusion the best pasties come from my oven imo :colbert:

(They're quite easy too, especially if you don't bother with the fancy crimping at first. Recommended if you're new at this cooking thing!)

Do you make the pastry or buy it? Most american pastry is too sweet so point me at a recipe if you've got a good one.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the solution is clearly to sail the thing to somewhere in Wales so that staff don't have to face London costs of living

which would also serve to further regionalise the museums budget, thus achieving multiple government objectives at once

anyway snark aside, if I were working at a museum I would be seriously thinking about a career shift, or moving overseas; the Tories have reconciled themselves to free admissions forever but the pressure is on to cash in on the intangibles that the museums have built in the past two decades

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pesky Splinter posted:

Anyone ideas for titles?

It Can Still Get Worse

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

nopantsjack posted:

Does anyoen know anywhere good to get Greek cheeses? Particularly kefalotyri?

I need that good stuff to make saganaki but it seems to be mostly unavailable in the UK and all Brit recipes suggest loving halloumi which is cypriot heresy.
Waitrose.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/odysea-greek-saganaki-kefalotyri-cheese/423119-409160-409161

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ronya posted:

the solution is clearly to sail the thing to somewhere in Wales so that staff don't have to face London costs of living

which would also serve to further regionalise the museums budget, thus achieving multiple government objectives at once

anyway snark aside, if I were working at a museum I would be seriously thinking about a career shift, or moving overseas; the Tories have reconciled themselves to free admissions forever but the pressure is on to cash in on the intangibles that the museums have built in the past two decades

I work in the field and am trying to get out, but it is really hard. I mean I get great feedback from visitors, but it is hard to wrangle that into another job that isn't very exploitative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halloumi is a wonder material, it tastes of cheese but feels like chicken.

The secret of greek fire may have been lost but we retain their greatest gift to mankind.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Carecat posted:

GuardianOpinion.jpg

Working so closely with the Tories that they can forbid you from even speaking against them, until you ragequit and get a couple of news articles whining about how bad they are. Such influence.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Josef bugman posted:

I work in the field and am trying to get out, but it is really hard. I mean I get great feedback from visitors, but it is hard to wrangle that into another job that isn't very exploitative.

well you probably know better but have you considered other countries where british museum brand value might carry some weight

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Anyone ideas for titles?

++ Knighthood for loser Clegg ++

e: Wait, no: Damien Green fiddled while Britain burned.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 31, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the review doesn't say "merge collections so that you can cut down on front line and operations staff, who must also be wholly contracted out" but it may as well do so, what with the combined mandate to forcibly cut operating costs and to meet best value in existing costs and that larger museums have face greater efficiencies in these respects, hint hint?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

more liberal muscle

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure I'll be around tonight or tomorrow morning to do the 2018 OP, so if someone else wants to take over the list of counterrevolutionary Greggs-havers, that's fine.

You could do it now, and we'll go looking for it at midnight?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure rosie the riveter was a liberal, honestly.

Also happy to say I'm forever dead.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure rosie the riveter was a liberal, honestly.

Also happy to say I'm forever dead.

Think you'll find in ~The Guardian View~ every progressive victory of the past hundred and fifty years was actually liberals, including putting the first man in space and killing the tsar.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ronya posted:

well you probably know better but have you considered other countries where british museum brand value might carry some weight

AHAHAHAHA.

But seriously, I would love to work somewhere else but what does "worked on the floor of a national museum" really mean to Ingvar and Sigrid in the various different Nordic Museums.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/micahuetricht/status/947252369175269377

quote:

the lower organs of the party must make even greater efforts to penetrate the more backward parts of the proletariat

might be a bit long for a new thread title

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Josef bugman posted:

AHAHAHAHA.

But seriously, I would love to work somewhere else but what does "worked on the floor of a national museum" really mean to Ingvar and Sigrid in the various different Nordic Museums.

scandinavia has their own glut of young overeducated people so that's about the worst place to try

somewhere where nationalist klepto/petro funds flow more freely. subject matter might matter less than technical expertise in exhibits or whatever

museums are prestige projects, more or less, so one needs a state entity which is trying to build legitimacy through soft power, rather than the industry as a cost center

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Goddamn waitrose having a monopoly on good Greek poo poo, they have the Caprice chocolate cigars too!

Thanks though, will probably order some.
My friend works there though and they and John Lewis treats their workers like poo poo and pay them gently caress all. Won't even let them unionise because they're "partners".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ronya posted:

scandinavia has their own glut of young overeducated people so that's about the worst place to try

somewhere where nationalist klepto/petro funds flow more freely. subject matter might matter less than technical expertise in exhibits or whatever

museums are prestige projects, more or less, so one needs a state entity which is trying to build legitimacy through soft power, rather than the industry as a cost center

Yes, but there are precious few who want a person from the front lines on there. The only thing I have been thinking of is maybe staying with my cousin in Shanghai for a bit and doing tours for English speaking tourists.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

Korea maybe? You can maintain that exhibit about how England was part of the Korean empire 5000 years ago! :hist101:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

My friend works there though and they and John Lewis treats their workers like poo poo and pay them gently caress all. Won't even let them unionise because they're "partners".

I've had Waitrose held up to me as Good Eggs in this thread before on the grounds they're a workers' cooperative.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

I've had Waitrose held up to me as Good Eggs in this thread before on the grounds they're a workers' cooperative.

AFAIK they do pay their permanent workers better and have much more solid contracts than other grocery/unified retail shops, but at the end of the day it's still a shelf-stacking job for a capitalist retailing company.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 1, 2018

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ronya posted:

Indeed. I went to Moesgaard Museum (MOMU) near Aarhus and the majority of the floor staff there seemed to be PhDs at the local university, I think it was actually part of their course duties to work there. It's a really good museum though, recommended if you find yourself in the area and are interested in archaeology/the history of Northern Europe. ARoS in Aarhus is also well worth a visit.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Kind of but on paper and sometimes in practice its great. I worked for the Partnership for a few years and saw a lot of shady practices. If you're going to work in a retail environment JLP's not bad but its not the shining beacon of a democratic business it spends so much effort shouting about. Having worked both Waitrose and John Lewis I'd say Waitrose is the better of the two to work for by a great margin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Do you make the pastry or buy it? Most american pastry is too sweet so point me at a recipe if you've got a good one.

Make it. If we're going American, two sticks butter diced up (or better half butter half lard, look for the latter in the Mexican aisle), 4 cups flour, teaspoon salt, whiz up in food processor til it resembles course breadcrumbs. Pour into mixing bowl, stir in a bit of water til you have dough, turn out and very quickly knead until it comes together then divide into 6-8 balls depending how big you want them and roll out maybe 1/4 inch thick.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reminder that pastry dough needs to stay cold up until you stick them in the oven.
I throw my doughs in the fridge after the whiz and then dough it up with ice cold water.

Comes out great every time.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/31/theresa-may-considers-move-for-boris-johnson-in-cabinet-reshuffle

quote:

The prime minister is said to be considering offering the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson a move to a Brexit delivery role based in another department, but he is likely to resist such a move.

I still find it funny how that pathetic clown keeps saying Brexit's gonna be just great but he doesn't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

feedmegin posted:

Make it. If we're going American, two sticks butter diced up (or better half butter half lard, look for the latter in the Mexican aisle), 4 cups flour, teaspoon salt, whiz up in food processor til it resembles course breadcrumbs. Pour into mixing bowl, stir in a bit of water til you have dough, turn out and very quickly knead until it comes together then divide into 6-8 balls depending how big you want them and roll out maybe 1/4 inch thick.

Cheers, trying this (but not tonight). I'll never get why there's no meat-in-pastry products in the US, you'd think they'd be all over that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Cheers, trying this (but not tonight). I'll never get why there's no meat-in-pastry products in the US, you'd think they'd be all over that.

Not had a Hot Pocket yet then? :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Or a corn dog, I suppose.

• Locked thread