Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

But their breath is super fresh.

So call people a foul breathed koala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Is "smoothbrain" ableist?

Because it seems to me that quite a few goons are using it simply to avoid getting dinged for using the R-word.

This was discussed in the most recent QA thread in QCS, that would probably give you a better answer. I don't remember the mod verdict re. that word. Think they said their general policy was to be more strict on terminology in the more trafficked forums like GBS.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Trying to remote desktop into a laptop next to me running Word. When I close the lid the overall connection is fine but word goes blurry maybe as some form of protection? How do I turn that off?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Trying to remote desktop into a laptop next to me running Word. When I close the lid the overall connection is fine but word goes blurry maybe as some form of protection? How do I turn that off?

What happens if you connect after closing the lid instead of before?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Same thing, can't be read, won't scroll. pdfs are fine though. Weird.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Same thing, can't be read, won't scroll. pdfs are fine though. Weird.

Weird, next I'd try a different Remote Desktop program like TeamViewer or Parsec or RDP. If that's not an option or doesn't work, I'd ask in the Windows thread.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is there some way of submitting private sales listings to ebay, gumtree, fb marketplace and wherever else all at once?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mister Facetious posted:

Is "smoothbrain" ableist?

Because it seems to me that quite a few goons are using it simply to avoid getting dinged for using the R-word.

It is interesting to me why some words get the chop in civilised discourse and others don't. Maybe it is they proximity to specific medical conditions with for example Downs syndrome and cerebral palsy both having bastardised versions of medical terms used in there descriptions turning into slurs '(happy to elaborate If needed but I won't automatically).

As someone who works in a neurological, field we frequently use the term spastic as it means increased muscle tone as seem in upper motor neurone conditions (for example cerebral palsy) with the opposite term being flaccid.

Brain development is interesting ad there are medial conditions where gyral formation is deficient (lissencephaly, pachygyria, polymicrogyria) and those patients have varying degrees of smooth brains and are often disabled.

So it probably is, or will be seem as such when people cotton on to it being a real thing that disables people. I don't like it and would never use it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

tuyop posted:

Weird, next I'd try a different Remote Desktop program like TeamViewer or Parsec or RDP. If that's not an option or doesn't work, I'd ask in the Windows thread.

Cheers will do!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

Cheers will do!

Oh Jump Remote Desktop is my favourite of the bunch, free for Windows (they charge for Apple and Android apps). Forgot to mention that, the only one I’ve spent money on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone who's been on the forums for, well, quite a while remember the thread by the old guy that was a chicago cop in the 70s? was that goldmined?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
turned out he was a pedophile right?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Actually, its called

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

actionjackson posted:

does anyone who's been on the forums for, well, quite a while remember the thread by the old guy that was a chicago cop in the 70s? was that goldmined?
i think you mean tokaii, there's a link to it in his saclopedia entry
https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2418

Boba Pearl posted:

turned out he was a pedophile right?
pedo-defender at least

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Are there more cars than people in the US?
And if yes, is it the only country in the world where this is the case?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wikipedia says that San Marino and Andorra are the only countries with more cars than people. In the US, however, we have somewhere between 3 and 8 parking spaces for every car.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dysgenesis posted:

It is interesting to me why some words get the chop in civilised discourse and others don't. Maybe it is they proximity to specific medical conditions with for example Downs syndrome and cerebral palsy both having bastardised versions of medical terms used in there descriptions turning into slurs '(happy to elaborate If needed but I won't automatically).

As someone who works in a neurological, field we frequently use the term spastic as it means increased muscle tone as seem in upper motor neurone conditions (for example cerebral palsy) with the opposite term being flaccid.

Brain development is interesting ad there are medial conditions where gyral formation is deficient (lissencephaly, pachygyria, polymicrogyria) and those patients have varying degrees of smooth brains and are often disabled.

So it probably is, or will be seem as such when people cotton on to it being a real thing that disables people. I don't like it and would never use it.

Well, drat. My bad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Wikipedia says that San Marino and Andorra are the only countries with more cars than people. In the US, however, we have somewhere between 3 and 8 parking spaces for every car.

might have something to do with both being super tiny enclaves, or it's just a weird coincidence

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking a bit about video games that feature real-world locations, like how the new Overwatch apparently has 22 maps inspired by real cities including Toronto. I don't play Overwatch but I can think of handfuls of games that either feature or very obviously imitate real-world locales.

Do the game designers send their graphics team on business trips to document these places and ensure that their recreations of them are faithful? I'd have to imagine they do. What a sweet gig, getting an expenses-paid trip to somewhere like Prague to work on Deus Ex, or really, any of the locations featured in Far Cry games.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking a bit about video games that feature real-world locations, like how the new Overwatch apparently has 22 maps inspired by real cities including Toronto. I don't play Overwatch but I can think of handfuls of games that either feature or very obviously imitate real-world locales.

Do the game designers send their graphics team on business trips to document these places and ensure that their recreations of them are faithful? I'd have to imagine they do. What a sweet gig, getting an expenses-paid trip to somewhere like Prague to work on Deus Ex, or really, any of the locations featured in Far Cry games.
Knowing a little bit about video game development, I think it's more likely they give them an all-expenses-paid trip to google maps/street view.

Or the head designer gets a trip and the people doing the actual work get to watch the slideshow later.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Trapick posted:

Or the head designer gets a trip and the people doing the actual work get to watch the slideshow later.

Like that arma dev who got arrested for photographing military bases in greece.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

For something like the size and scope of GTA they move a group of devs and artist over for a few weeks or months and just start capturing pictures and videos and actually living in city to get their feel and vibe down.

Buzzfeed had a good article explaining the process around the time of the GTAV launch
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/way-beyond-anything-weve-done-before-building-the-world-of-g

Interview with Dan Houser around that time also breaks it down
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/07/grand-theft-auto-dan-houser

quote:

"The single longest process is always creating the world," confirms Houser, revealing that the new Los Santos map is bigger than those of GTA IV, GTA: San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption combined. It's not surprising to learn that he sat geography at Oxford. "We spent a minimum of 100 days in Los Angeles on research trips, probably more," he says of production, which began at the height of the US's sub-prime financial crisis in 2010. "Out and about, all night long with weird people, strange cops showing us around, a lot of first-hand research. We spoke to FBI agents that have been undercover, experts in the Mafia, street gangsters who know the slang – we even went to see a proper prison. These poor buggers in the middle of the salt flat desert, miles away. It was eye-openingly depressing."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to recall reading that the Assassin's Creed devs made a reasonably significant contribution to the preservation of...was it Italian? culture as part of the work they did for developing some of their games.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading that the Assassin's Creed devs made a reasonably significant contribution to the preservation of...was it Italian? culture as part of the work they did for developing some of their games.

I thought it was that some building needed restoration, and fans were screaming "hey that building was in Assassin's Creed, you could use the data from that!" and both the devs and the restoration folks were like "no, not even remotely, it's not precise enough data, it is just 'looks good enough for a video game' data"

E: no, I'm thinking of Notre Dame: https://www.polygon.com/features/22790314/assassins-creed-unity-notre-dame-restoration-accuracy

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 14, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
what does carpal tunnel feel like? My wrist hurts really bad, and I couldn't really cut things with a knife today.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

what does carpal tunnel feel like? My wrist hurts really bad, and I couldn't really cut things with a knife today.

Carpal tunnel specifically is a pinched nerve, so you can expect the typical symptoms from nerve damage: tingling, numbness, pins and needles. There's some other injuries that can also mess with your hands, e.g. strained tendons, and they'll have different treatments and prognoses.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boba Pearl posted:

People tend to describe nerve pain with words like shooting or stabbing or burning or tingling. Could you not cut things because of the pain, or because of weakness? Weakness can also indicate nerve pain.

There's also Cupital tunnel as a common cause of nerve pain in the wrist. It could also be tendon damage which can also cause weakness (but the pain is a bit duller, but it can still be very strong). There's tons of reasons that a wrist could hurt so try to see a doctor if you can.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 14, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dysgenesis posted:

Pretty much any medical term used to describe a set of people with less mental ability than the average will, over time, become a slur and be replaced with a new term. This is generally a generational cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend is hooked on AI art generators, but all the ones he's shown me, he wants to get printed on canvas, and the files are tiny small. I mean, they are used to make NFTs. Are there any AI generators that will make files that can be printed like standard sized paper?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
most of the AI art tools that are popular around now only make 512x512 images because the AI gets a little incoherent at bigger resolutions, but they come bundled with AI upscalers like RealEsrgan that can blow the result up to 1024 or maybe 2048 with varying quality. that should be enough for a modest sized canvas print

alternately, if he wants to generate AI art at higher resolutions naturally, he can try the AUTOMATIC1111 stable diffusion webui project with the "highres fix" box ticked. will take a lot of GPU VRAM though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 14, 2022

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Dr. Stab posted:

People tend to describe nerve pain with words like shooting or stabbing or burning or tingling. Could you not cut things because of the pain, or because of weakness? Weakness can also indicate nerve pain.

There's also Cupital tunnel as a common cause of nerve pain in the wrist. It could also be tendon damage which can also cause weakness (but the pain is a bit duller, but it can still be very strong). There's tons of reasons that a wrist could hurt so try to see a doctor if you can.

Maybe when you find a doctor, op, perhaps look elsewhere if they are named Stab :chef:

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

ulmont posted:

Pretty much any medical term used to describe a set of people with less mental ability than the average will, over time, become a slur and be replaced with a new term. This is generally a generational cycle.

Even the word ‘idiot’ started as a medical term. It was the classification for people with the most severe cognitive disabilities. The ‘id’ in idiot refers to Freud’s concept of the animalistic part of our psyche. So an idiot was somebody who was regarded on the same level of intellect as an animal.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

ulmont posted:

like this but the statues are slurs

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

ulmont posted:

I knew I was aware of this but didn't realise it was well recognised enough to have its own wikipedia page.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

most of the AI art tools that are popular around now only make 512x512 images because the AI gets a little incoherent at bigger resolutions, but they come bundled with AI upscalers like RealEsrgan that can blow the result up to 1024 or maybe 2048 with varying quality. that should be enough for a modest sized canvas print

alternately, if he wants to generate AI art at higher resolutions naturally, he can try the AUTOMATIC1111 stable diffusion webui project with the "highres fix" box ticked. will take a lot of GPU VRAM though.
DALL-E and Midjourney both make larger images by default, IIRC.

As you say, with the "highres fix" it's absolutely possible to make larger images without it becoming a complete mess. I've managed about 960x704 on my 8GB card. Update: 1152x768 is doable on 8GB, maybe a bit more if you close other apps and don't want an exact 3:2 aspect ratio.

The other option is just making the right aspect ratio and then upscaling. Depends on the content and how much you're willing to screw it hit but I did 1536x1024 so far without problems. Good enough for an A4 size print on a wall.

E: Might want to play around with denoising strength. We just had a big discussion in the GBS thread and ~0.4 might be better than the default, though in my experience it also works fine.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 14, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How far off are we from being able to create an animal based on its DNA? Like, if such and such a species of tiger goes extinct but we have (hopefully) been sequencing their DNA for the last couple of decades and that's stored on a server somewhere -- how difficult are the remaining technical challenges that could turn raw genetic code into an actual animal? Are we 20 years away or 100 years away from being able to do that?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm sure somebody will correct me on the specifics, but basically yes. It's already possible to clone animals by loving with embryos and it's theoretically possible to do the same with an extinct animal in a similar non-extinct species. Pretty sure there are plans to do exactly this with mammoths, using living elephants. The process needs the actual genetic material from a partially preserved corpse, we can't just reprogram DNA from a sequence on a computer somewhere.

This is all based on half-remembered science articles, so I hope somebody will come along with more accurate information.

E: I don't know this publication, but it repeats what I read elsewhere : https://indieadjuster.org/resume-tips/how-to-clone-a-mammoth-summary-top-5-tips.html

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 14, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You do need a female from a related species to serve as a surrogate mother, though. We haven't figured out artificial wombs yet. Last I checked, the process was basically that we take an egg from a related species, remove the "native" DNA, insert the new DNA, artificially inseminate the egg, then implant it in the mother to carry to term.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You also need DNA from enough individuals to ensure a viable breeding population if you want more than one generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone remember a WW2 movie about American and Japanese soldiers getting stranded on an island and having to form a truce in order to protect the only fresh water spring on the island from flooding with sea water during a storm?