Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's scary about this is that even if you ask an expert or insider strategist or whatever about what will happen, they might give you an informed opinion, but the number of unknown factors are just too great to make any real prediction by anyone. Under MAD there was stability because of the certainty established through diplomacy, it was clear what would happen to a much greater extent and as a result nobody went to war. It was transparent, with less room for accidents and misunderstandings.

What's scary is that the knowledge the administration has about the situation probably doesn't greatly exceed the informed guesswork people do on this forum. They seem to be acting on wagers and bluff, and that's when historical contingencies can change the outcome the easiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sean loving Hannity: REAL AMERICAN HERO! gently caress YEAH!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ague Proof posted:

I hope someone leaks the contents of some of Trump's 50 page praise folders. I want to see those.

At least 20 pages are the fawning praises sung by John Barron, John Miller, and Jim.

Oh god, Jim is actually someone the staff made up to fill their quota and now Trump thinks he's got a friend named Jim.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember we blew up hundreds of bombs in the US, the idea of single bombs making thousand mile wastelands is a tv thing. We blew up a bunch of above ground bombs within sight of las vegas and it's not a fallout nuclear wasteland (or IS it, am i rite?)

Burning cities produce a lot more fallout than empty desert, however.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

What's scary about this is that even if you ask an expert or insider strategist or whatever about what will happen, they might give you an informed opinion, but the number of unknown factors are just too great to make any real prediction by anyone. Under MAD there was stability because of the certainty established through diplomacy, it was clear what would happen to a much greater extent and as a result nobody went to war. It was transparent, with less room for accidents and misunderstandings.

What's scary is that the knowledge the administration has about the situation probably doesn't greatly exceed the informed guesswork people do on this forum.
They seem to be acting on wagers and bluff, and that's when historical contingencies can change the outcome the easiest.

Put D&D in charge of the nukes.

Not covok.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I was thinking about if our current congress would declare war on North Korea if the president lobbied for it, but then I realized we're still technically at war with North Korea, right?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay someone help me out here. I'm trying to process this as logically as possible and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything or I'm not egregiously wrong anywhere.

The Bad:

-NK, at least seemingly, has nukes that could reach parts of the US mainland and definitely Asia i.e. SK, Japan, etc. Bad bad times.
-Trump is a loving idiot child pants-making GBS threads babyman with no real concept of any of this so it's quite possible, even probable, he could continue to make matters worse by not SHUTTING THE gently caress UP or, even more horribly, launching some sort of preemptive strike.
-KJU is in much the same mold as Trump so it's basically two tiny-dicked idiots trying to outmacho each other, using the world as a game board. There really aren't, on the face of it, rational actors here.
-ABM systems are unreliable and have obviously never been used in combat.
-Even if it's not nuclear, this could all lead to another kind of war.
-The "best" case scenario out of all of this is that we have a rogue nuclear power on our hands, which makes threats from them, frankly speaking, a lot less hollow, and by all accounts,, more nukes=bad. For everyone

The Less Bad:

-I'd put it at a ~95% chance that all this bluster by KJU is dickwaving and that he'd never EVER actually do it unless he was already dead (i.e. US striking first). I'm actually more scared of Trump, to be honest.
-If for SOME loving reason KJU tried to strike first, he'd be committing suicide and/or someone might literally murder him for trying (hence point 1)
-ABM do exist as a deterrent/defense, so even if something were to go down, the damage caused might be minimized (not that that says much in context) by being, say, detonated in midair instead of making landfall. Still bad, not Hiroshima bad. That's damning with faint bright sides but when you're talking potential global thermonuclear war you'll take what you can get.
-There's no hard evidence NK can do what is being postulated, and all that assumes any theoretical launch goes exactly right and that nothing fucks up somewhere, which is not a guarantee given what NK is dealing with.

Is that about the extent of it? Am I missing anything major here?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was thinking about if our current congress would declare war on North Korea if the president lobbied for it, but then I realized we're still technically at war with North Korea, right?

South Korea is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

Burning cities produce a lot more fallout than empty desert, however.

Sure, don't plan your next vacation down wind from exploding nuclear bombs. But movies wildly exaggerate the area a bomb turns into a hell blasted wasteland where none can live again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

awesmoe posted:

they're just screencaps from fox news. like seriously. cheyrons and poo poo.

The person who compiles that document has immense influence over Trump, just by choosing what to put in there and how to frame issues. Unlike the security briefings, you know he will read each and every piece very carefully. Trump repeats what he just heard and he gets these twice a day.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ague Proof posted:

The person who compiles that document has immense influence over Trump, just by choosing what to put in there and how to frame issues. Trump repeats what he just heard and he gets these twice a day.

Fox and Friends are the most influential people on the planet

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

I hate you for reminding me of this. Say penance and give us 20 Hail Reagans.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what effect will today's news have on the release of the piss tape?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

KickerOfMice posted:

Not covok.

I nominate smoke sumthin bitch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We at least know Samsung will be fine. They're used to their poo poo blowing up.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
:v: I needed that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I work at Hyundai so I hope when I get back from vacation that company still exists.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Your Taint posted:

Except for the last 12 hours in which we've come closer to nuclear war than in any other point in (most of our) lifetimes.

The Cuban Missile Crisis is the closest the US has been to the actualization of nuclear war, and we are not at that point right now.

We had a adversary setting up a offensive system drastically closer and the US Government reached DEFCON 2. What we see now is blustering over Twitter accounts, while during the Crisis Russia had missiles 90 miles off the coast of Florida on their way to Cuba.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

KickerOfMice posted:

Not covok.

gently caress no. I don't even entrust most of you with the power to post content I read.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

prom candy posted:

what effect will today's news have on the release of the piss tape?

If Putin has been sharing copies, Un will release it to try and top Trump's next unhinged threat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The Cuban Missile Crisis is the closest the US has been to the actualization of nuclear war, and we are not at that point right now.

We had a adversary setting up a offensive system drastically closer and the US Government reached DEFCON 2. What we see now is blustering over Twitter accounts, while during the Crisis Russia had missiles 90 miles off the coast of Florida on their way to Cuba.

Back then we had the mutants interceding for us though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mango sentinel posted:

I keep thinking of those words

'Am I a loving baby, Paul?"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

gently caress no. I don't even entrust most of you with the power to post content I read.

OF COURSE Mr. smartier than thou wants to lob the missiles. Disqualified.

And no McMagic either.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/895127131830849542

Umm, I do not think that is why

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I work at Hyundai so I hope when I get back from vacation that company still exists.

You should try to convince your bosses to manufacture the Pony again

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
https://twitter.com/RexTilllerson/status/895036775097413636

Edit: Its a fake.shame on me for not seeing 3 Ls, shame on this world that it's so hard to seperate shitposts from official policy.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 9, 2017

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'll save everyone the trouble: it's fake, there are three L's in Tilllerson.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
What the..

Oh its fake.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Joke account

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I thought electing Hillary was too dangerous because Russia would nuke us?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

So has he been sent to South Korea to actively resolve things diplomatically or is that just a fever dream of what might have happened if Obama was still in office?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Yeah the real Tillerson is asleep right now.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

RZApublican posted:

So has he been sent to South Korea to actively resolve things diplomatically or is that just a fever dream of what might have happened if Obama was still in office?

No he's riding a bike

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

RZApublican posted:

Obama was in Pyongyang when this went down. He made it out of the hotel and is holed up with some Canadians. DoS has evidence he can ride bikes and is sending some in so he can make it to the border.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

I thought electing Hillary was too dangerous because Russia would nuke us?

The Onion - 5 things to know about Tomi Lahren

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gently caress SNEEP posted:

No he's riding a bike

P. sure bikes are allowed in South Korea.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

RZApublican posted:

He just met Ri Yong-ho, the NK foreign minister, in the Philippines at ASEAN :laugh:

EDIT: Thought you meant Scowling Rex not Obama

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
I think they're trying to play up this new catchphrase Bannon wrote in the ridiculous hope he becomes president fire and fury not president grab em by the pussy. Expect to hear it again from every talking head and bot, if not Trump himself. He didn't even manage to deliver it clean and decisively the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

farraday posted:

Obama was in Pyongyang when this went down. He made it out of the hotel and is holed up with some Canadians. DoS has evidence he can ride bikes and is sending some in so he can make it to the border.

this was a better bike story

• Locked thread