Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
CityMapper Pro ($$$) has a mixed transport option, lets you choose rideshare+transit or bike+transit (I think - I don't have it, just the free app). Not quite what you're looking for but would give you an idea of your options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Powered Descent posted:

Want to feel even older? My sister's kids were watching a Simpsons rerun, and a scene came on where Lisa's class in school was watching a film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISoNYxeaqo

And my nephews asked what the heck that strange machine was at the back of the room, that Miss Hoover was using.

Want to feel even older than THAT? This happened ten years ago.

I am dead, and decomposed.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Has anyone heard of a parody version of the Candy Man song from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory? "The Hot Dog Man"?

I heard it sometimes on the silly morning show we'd listen to back in the early or mid 90s. I kind of assume it was borrowed from Dr. Demento or some other national show, but there's a chance it was original to this morning show in Salt Lake.

If there's a better thread for weird song questions, please point me to it.

The Hot Dog Man can/Cuz he mixes it with sludge/To make it taste real good

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainJuan posted:

CityMapper Pro ($$$) has a mixed transport option, lets you choose rideshare+transit or bike+transit (I think - I don't have it, just the free app). Not quite what you're looking for but would give you an idea of your options.

Actually Google will also sometimes recommend rideshare or bike in combination with public transport. Depening on ~circumstances~ or something. Otherwise I haven't seen anything that does exactly what the OP wants.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Poldarn posted:

This documentary says the ratio of males to females is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEmLhO4KO4

Look up effective population size, sex ratio is a big contributor and why sex ratio matters in regards to population dynamics.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

IMJack posted:

Has anyone heard of a parody version of the Candy Man song from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory? "The Hot Dog Man"?

I heard it sometimes on the silly morning show we'd listen to back in the early or mid 90s. I kind of assume it was borrowed from Dr. Demento or some other national show, but there's a chance it was original to this morning show in Salt Lake.

you can also try posting in the "identify a song" thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

edit: i tried a bit of searching and there sure are a lot of songs involving a hot dog man, but none i could find are obvious candy man parodies

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 16, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

IMJack posted:

It isn't this, but Primus did an album of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and their version is real good.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Are there any websites that allow you to combine driving and public transit? I'll be visiting the DC area soon, so it'd be nice to be able to figure out which metro station would be the fastest to combine driving and rail. Google Maps doesn't seem to make this easy.

I have always wished for this for bike + transit too, but unfortunately IME you have to either know the transit system well or play around a lot with it manually, using google maps to play with different drives (or bikes) and different transit routes.

If you want to ask here though I bet there are a fair number of DC metro knowers. Or in the LAN thread. I know the system okay but there are plenty of actual DC area residents around here.

e: oh drat I missed the new page. Still stand by the answer though. I have never seen Google recommend transit + bike but I would love to see it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Actually Google will also sometimes recommend rideshare or bike in combination with public transport. Depening on ~circumstances~ or something. Otherwise I haven't seen anything that does exactly what the OP wants.

As far as I've seen it, Google maps just recommends rideshare or one of those scooters instead of a different route, not in combination. I'm pretty sure those are just paid ads embedded in maps.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Could anyone reccomend a good, free benchmarking tool? My buddy's computer (i7-11700KF, 32 GB of RAM, 8 GB RTX 3060 Ti) has some trouble running HL:Alyx and other VR games (Aces High in the remote chance someone here is familiar), and we need some help chasing down the bottleneck since nothing really jumps out. Preferably something that could possibly key us in on any potential thermal or power throttling that is going on.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

Are there any websites that allow you to combine driving and public transit? I'll be visiting the DC area soon, so it'd be nice to be able to figure out which metro station would be the fastest to combine driving and rail. Google Maps doesn't seem to make this easy.

Just drive to the closest metro station and hop on there. The convenience of metro isn’t being fastest, it’s avoiding whatever garbage traffic there is at any moment

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

when members of parliament get picked to be minister of X or Y, how does the prime minister decide what ministry to give someone? like does that person indicate they have an interest in X, or is it that the prime minister decides they want to give this person a chance to lead *anything* and the ministry of X is what's available?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Could anyone reccomend a good, free benchmarking tool? My buddy's computer (i7-11700KF, 32 GB of RAM, 8 GB RTX 3060 Ti) has some trouble running HL:Alyx and other VR games (Aces High in the remote chance someone here is familiar), and we need some help chasing down the bottleneck since nothing really jumps out. Preferably something that could possibly key us in on any potential thermal or power throttling that is going on.

HWInfo64 will give you a super detailed readout of freuquencies, thermals and everything else. The UI is not great but what you want to see is the max temp reached for GPU and CPU cores. It#s even smart enough to add a warning if the components are throttling. I think you can also get it to log telemetry while running the games and present them as a graph afterwards.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wait so peanuts are like a bean that gets roasted and tastes like peanut. What happens when you roast the other beans? Like, what are roast kidney beans like???

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

tuyop posted:

Wait so peanuts are like a bean that gets roasted and tastes like peanut. What happens when you roast the other beans? Like, what are roast kidney beans like???

Roasted fava beans are hella good but are nothing like peanuts, they're more a crunchy snack.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Roasted chickpeas/garbanzo beans are a relatively common dish. you can even buy bags of them in the grocery store snack food aisle

TinyPairOfScissors
Oct 7, 2022

by Hand Knit
Roasted edamame is pretty common too, you can get them in like any grocery store where I live in the chips aisle as a slightly less unhealthy potato chip substitute.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

when members of parliament get picked to be minister of X or Y, how does the prime minister decide what ministry to give someone? like does that person indicate they have an interest in X, or is it that the prime minister decides they want to give this person a chance to lead *anything* and the ministry of X is what's available?

It doesn't even have to be an MP who gets picked, at least in Denmark. But the short version is that the PM decides however she likes, as long as her parliamentary backing agrees to it. Mostly it's about which ministries are considered powerful, either divided out to the different parties and/or based on party rank. Occasionally you also get someone who either through his party or personally cares about the department, or some symbolic stuff like a gay man in charge of the ministry of equality.

But 99% it's power politics

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Badger of Basra posted:

There's some conventions here in Finland, like that the minister of justice should be a lawyer, but for the most part yeah it's "please pretend that the ministry of labour is your life long dream"

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
In Britain right now it's basically who in the ruling party is left after multiple successive Tory governments have collapsed into non-functioning shambles as a result of scandal and incompetence.

But yes, the PM can appoint whoever she wants. Conventionally it's usually members of our lower chamber (MPs from the House of Commons) but members of the upper chamber (Peers of the House of Lords) occasionally get cabinet positions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fun fact: the U.S. Speaker of the House doesn’t actually have to be a member of the House of Representatives.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why do some folks with English as their second language insert a space before their punctuations? Like: “Congrats !”

Is that space a common feature in other languages? I hadn’t thought so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have this ancient external drive but seem to be missing the power cable for it. Any idea what it’s called

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

'4-pin tip power cable' seems to come up with stuff that looks pretty close, anyway.

https://a.co/d/bUSi8by looks like it could fit, no idea on voltage/wattage or whatever though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vegetable posted:

Why do some folks with English as their second language insert a space before their punctuations? Like: “Congrats !”

I think this might be specific to French? I don't think it's that common in other languages.
But yeah in French it is gramatically correct to put a space before the ? / ! marks. Not before periods though. They get « these things » instead of quotation marks too.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 18, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Yeah I see this a lot and it drives me a little crazy. I’ve levelled with it by realizing that most people are dumb as hell and also that they don’t care to be anything but

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe not a stupid or small question. I've been learning Python for fun and also tangential to my job, and I've gotten to file operations but I'm struggling to understand binary files. I have the following code snippet:

code:
>>> bdata = bytes(range(0, 256))
>>> print(bdata)
b'\x00\x01\x02\x03\x04\x05\x06\x07\x08\t\n\x0b\x0c\r\x0e\x0f\x10\x11\x12\x13\x14\x15\x16\x17\x18\x19\x1a\x1b\x1c\x1d\x1e\x1f !"#$%&\'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~\x7f\x80\x81\x82\x83\x84\x85\x86\x87\x88\x89\x8a\x8b\x8c\x8d\x8e\x8f\x90\x91\x92\x93\x94\x95\x96\x97\x98\x99\x9a\x9b\x9c\x9d\x9e\x9f\xa0\xa1\xa2\xa3\xa4\xa5\xa6\xa7\xa8\xa9\xaa\xab\xac\xad\xae\xaf\xb0\xb1\xb2\xb3\xb4\xb5\xb6\xb7\xb8\xb9\xba\xbb\xbc\xbd\xbe\xbf\xc0\xc1\xc2\xc3\xc4\xc5\xc6\xc7\xc8\xc9\xca\xcb\xcc\xcd\xce\xcf\xd0\xd1\xd2\xd3\xd4\xd5\xd6\xd7\xd8\xd9\xda\xdb\xdc\xdd\xde\xdf\xe0\xe1\xe2\xe3\xe4\xe5\xe6\xe7\xe8\xe9\xea\xeb\xec\xed\xee\xef\xf0\xf1\xf2\xf3\xf4\xf5\xf6\xf7\xf8\xf9\xfa\xfb\xfc\xfd\xfe\xff'
So I understand that I've got a variable with the bytes 0000 0000 to 1111 1111 stored in it. I think I understand why some of the bytes get translated into letters and other UTF-8 characters by the interactive interpreter and/or shell*. What's up with the other ones though? Is that hexadecimal and, say x9c translates to 0011 0111 or something? How can I get it to print the binary without any translation?

*I'm using PowerShell in this example but it doesn't seem to change in PyCharm, only if I open it in a text editor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's printing what it can as ASCII characters:

9C is hexadecimal = 156 or 1001 1100 binary.

You'll probably have to use some sort of function that will print the values as binary, it's not normally a thing that anyone needs. Check the "bin" function:

print(bin(42))
https://blog.finxter.com/python-print-binary-without-0b/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 18, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The \x is Python's way of saying "I'm about to display a bit of binary as a hexadecimal code", to be clear. The 9C (or whatever) is the actual hex data.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
when i called chase to increase my credit limit, they asked for my mortgage payment and my income, then subtracted one from the other and divided the result by 6 and that's my new limit. it seems like someone could just lie and give an outrageous number to get more credit, is this just not a problem? i'm making quite a bit more than when i last thought to increase my limit and they didn't question that at all

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of viable populations, what do you think is the lowest age above which everyone could vanish, and still have humanity survive?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Speaking of viable populations, what do you think is the lowest age above which everyone could vanish, and still have humanity survive?

Like, 2? Just gotta be old enough to put food in your own mouth, and enough people would survive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Humanity survives” being anything other than the extinction of Homo sapiens?

Quite low, like Old Enough! participants low.

Humans are so numerous and so widely distributed that a few would eke out an existence here or there.

If they can open a tin can, they have a chance.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Trapick posted:

'4-pin tip power cable' seems to come up with stuff that looks pretty close, anyway.

https://a.co/d/bUSi8by looks like it could fit, no idea on voltage/wattage or whatever though

thanks

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Like, 2? Just gotta be old enough to put food in your own mouth, and enough people would survive.

A 2 year old could maybe survive on the food in the house, but would have a pretty hard time after that..

We’d be relying on rural kids who’s parents taught them farm stuff really

I’d say a comfortable 6, or a risky 4

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you mean they magically vanish today and then the magic is gone and things continue, or people continue to vanish when they reach age X?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

In this age-based rapture scenario, what about all the machines and processes that adults run in society? Because that’s the real obstacle in the face of “humanity surviving”, imo, not whether the surviving population is old enough to care for themselves and scavenge supplies.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

How long would a city's potable water supply keep on working?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^ There's a great book about those sorts of questions called The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It's been a while but I think potable water would last as long as the current fill of the local water tower does. Hopefully they can figure out how to drink from a stream after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A 2 year old could maybe survive on the food in the house, but would have a pretty hard time after that..

We’d be relying on rural kids who’s parents taught them farm stuff really

I’d say a comfortable 6, or a risky 4

I figure some would find access to either nonperishable food stores or forage that doesn't kill them. A lot would die, for sure, but a toddler based society could last. 4 is around the age where we have several accounts of kids surviving long term in the wild by themselves.