Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Siding with Sellen gets you more gear and the funniest sequence of dialogue in the game, so I know what I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still doing my DS3 rerun and I got invaded for the first time today, right as I was trying to write a helpful message. I wonder if they will ever be able to get the netcode half decent, or if it will just always be a crap shoot? I didn't deal with many other players in ER so I dont remember if it was much better or not. But it definitely takes the fun out of something that could be really cool.

I'm no dev, but in my mind I'm thinking its an unfair comparison to fighting games where you have tiny levels that are more controlled and nothing else going on. But then again, you have battle royales where things are mostly fluent. I dunno.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

codo27 posted:

Still doing my DS3 rerun and I got invaded for the first time today, right as I was trying to write a helpful message. I wonder if they will ever be able to get the netcode half decent, or if it will just always be a crap shoot? I didn't deal with many other players in ER so I dont remember if it was much better or not. But it definitely takes the fun out of something that could be really cool.

I'm no dev, but in my mind I'm thinking its an unfair comparison to fighting games where you have tiny levels that are more controlled and nothing else going on. But then again, you have battle royales where things are mostly fluent. I dunno.

All the DS games are 50% this weekend fyi. Bagged ds3 to continue my playthrough them. On the dlc of DS2 now.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It's hilarious that nobody discusses who to choose between Sellen and Jerren on moral grounds because the actual facts involved are so obscure that nobody can tell who the good guy is and the Foul Tarnished never bothers to ask.

I always just assumed Jerren was the good guy but this game is so opaque it’s basically all about loot

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a primate posted:

I always just assumed Jerren was the good guy but this game is so opaque it’s basically all about loot

Jerren's aligned with Radahn and with the Carian royals -- pretty much the least bad of the major powers in the Lands Between, for whatever that's worth.

Sellen is probably a wizard serial killer, with the "probably" coming from a shaky vote of confidence from Thops + the vague possibility that it's a case of mistaken identity.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sellen is probably a wizard serial killer, with the "probably" coming from a shaky vote of confidence from Thops + the vague possibility that it's a case of mistaken identity.

There's really no mistaken identity possible when it comes to Lusat and Azur suddenly disappearing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zwingley posted:

There's really no mistaken identity possible when it comes to Lusat and Azur suddenly disappearing

Lusat and Azur didn't "disappear," they were driven away from the Academy, presumably for poking into the same forbidden poo poo Sellen's into. They're her co-conspirators, not her victims.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Lusat and Azur have also degenerated into barely-alive husks of raw magic. It's possible that Sellen has never actually incorporated anybody into her "school" who wasn't trying to kill her or already dead.

Maybe not very likely, but possible.

(I honestly think this quest is just not well-written, because unlike other Obscure Dark Souls Lore where the truth is either forgotten or known only to people who have no reason to be honest with you, this one is just a case of the player character not caring enough to ask questions.)

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Got all the Deathroots and finished Gurranq's quest. All that's left is Dung-Eater and contending with Mohg.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sellen's whole quest gives me real Iosefka vibes. We never see her face, it's made evident that she's somehow wrapped up in Seluvis's weird shenanigans, and when we encounter her actual body on the Peninsula, she doesn't recognize you at all. I honestly like the ambiguity.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lusat and Azur didn't "disappear," they were driven away from the Academy, presumably for poking into the same forbidden poo poo Sellen's into. They're her co-conspirators, not her victims.

I meant disappear from where you find them, sorry. Y'know, when Sellen talks about bringing their bodies back to the academy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zwingley posted:

I meant disappear from where you find them, sorry. Y'know, when Sellen talks about bringing their bodies back to the academy.

Oh yeah, fair enough.

Personally my suspicion, for reason already outlined above, is that the "Sellen" we meet and the human wizard Sellen aren't actually the same person -- probably because Glintstone contains living, alien intelligence that can hijack bodies given the chance. We see it colonize the bodies all kinds of living creatures, and "Sellen" herself repeats the point often enough. So Thops is technically right, but it has no bearing on the player's decision re: Jerren or Sellen.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've heard a lot about FromSoftware and want to give their games a try. I was thinking of either doing Dark Souls Remastered or Elden Ring. Just curious what you guys think would be a better game for a From newbie.

Don't know if it matters, but I won't be able to play online since I'll be playing via Wine on a Mac (people online seem to say both games run well this way except for not being online).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd say play elden ring unless you like old kind of weird janky games. Dark souls is still really good but it's old.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Frenzy Flame blessing acquired. Now to sprint finish the rest!!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

drainpipe posted:

I've heard a lot about FromSoftware and want to give their games a try. I was thinking of either doing Dark Souls Remastered or Elden Ring. Just curious what you guys think would be a better game for a From newbie.

Don't know if it matters, but I won't be able to play online since I'll be playing via Wine on a Mac (people online seem to say both games run well this way except for not being online).

start with dark souls. it’s an insanely good game, but a lot of its unique impact will be lost if you play elden ring first, and a first elden ring playthrough might be improved by having played dark souls first due to the dramatic increase in polish

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
picked up Rivers Of Blood never used it before I'm pretty much a full ARC build but I'm gonna fool around with it. Got it at +9 to go with my +22 Occult Flamberge

we'll see which one gets to sit on the side of the Lord of Frenzy!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
fire giant down lets loving gooo!!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Try Dark Souls 1, if it's not clicking switch to Elden Ring.

I'm running through Elden Ring now for the first time, and it's got it's neat moments, but it's also got a lot more bullshit. Lot of boss repetition, frankly kinda bunk bosses/animation priority, and a bit too much aimless wandering. When it hits it's incredible, but you gotta be in the right headspace.

With the zeitgeist being passed you aren't going to get that social boost a lot of From newbies got with Elden Ring's release.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

drainpipe posted:

Armored Core 6

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Unormal posted:

Armored Core 6

:hmmyes:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Some bad takes itt of late. Elden Ring rules, PS2 gfx drools

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

:chloe:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Basic Chunnel posted:

Some bad takes itt of late.

yeah it's you

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Basic Chunnel posted:

Olden rang sucks actually and everyone should start From games at the start, with Kings field

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

DS1 has a sense of cohesion that all the other games lack. The world design is a work of video game art by itself, but the story and npcs fit together and make sense in a way that doesn’t quite happen in Elden Ring and the other dark souls games. That said, DS2 is actually my favorite of the trilogy, and Elden Ring is even better than that because it’s big Dark Souls 2. But I would still recommend starting with DS1 because it’s a unique experience that the others don’t quite reproduce, even when they improve on many aspects of it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

DS1 has a sense of cohesion that all the other games lack. The world design is a work of video game art by itself, but the story and npcs fit together and make sense in a way that doesn’t quite happen in Elden Ring and the other dark souls games. That said, DS2 is actually my favorite of the trilogy, and Elden Ring is even better than that because it’s big Dark Souls 2. But I would still recommend starting with DS1 because it’s a unique experience that the others don’t quite reproduce, even when they improve on many aspects of it.
Not sure how you managed to spell Bloodborne as “DS1” but I agree with you here

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They can't play bloodborne in wine on a mac. I bet they can play demons souls though - I would just play all of them you can get working in release order and enjoy the best games of the last fifteen years in full.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The world design in Bloodborne pays lip service to Dark Souls' interconnectedness, but in practice it's mostly linear.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The world design in Bloodborne pays lip service to Dark Souls' interconnectedness, but in practice it's mostly linear.

I mean, so is Dark Souls. You have to do the 2 things to unlock the thing, then go through the straight path to get the next thing, which then unlocks the 4 things you need to do, then you do the thing. There's a little variation in when you can do some of the paths, and you can do some paths right before they terminate early (and you can do one of the 4 things early as well), but the progression is very linear.

Elden Ring, by contrast, has very few things you must do. Hell, to get to first major plot thing you have to do, I can think of at least four ways climb that cliff, and there's an absolute ton of side content and things to explore. The end game gets linear, but even then, it opens up more side areas to explore, optional bosses, and unique treasures and loot to find.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Panderfringe posted:

Olden rang sucks actually and everyone should start From games at the start, with Kings field

"This is what Three Fingers actually believes"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How many of the bosses do you actually need to kill in Elden Ring?

8?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

How many of the bosses do you actually need to kill in Elden Ring?

8?

Two shardbearers (Radahn and Rykard to avoid extra bosses), at least one getting into Leyndell, Godfrey Shade, Morgott, Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh, Gideon (technically counts), Godfrey and Radagon/Elden Beast by my count?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

No Dignity posted:

Two shardbearers (Radahn and Rykard to avoid extra bosses), at least one getting into Leyndell, Godfrey Shade, Morgott, Fire Giant, Godskin Duo, Maliketh, Gideon (technically counts), Godfrey and Radagon/Elden Beast by my count?

you can skip a leyndell boss (and i think the shardbearers even) if you do the exploding tear drop from the divine bridge

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

No Dignity posted:

This was the run I did on NG+ and NG++ to get the other two achievment-ed endings. Felt very Shadow of the Colossus to just run on my horse from boss to boss.

gently caress I wish they'd make a SotC 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They can't play bloodborne in wine on a mac. I bet they can play demons souls though - I would just play all of them you can get working in release order and enjoy the best games of the last fifteen years in full.

The furtive Bloodborne, so easily forgotten

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Having played everything in the catalogue, I think DS3 is the best starting point for newbies. It has a lot of QoL improvements over the first two, and it generally feels really accessible.

That being said DS2 has the best combat speed/weight IMO, 1 was a little too clunky and 3 a little to hectic. The best DS2 fights felt so rhythmic and fluid. Shame about the hit boxes and animations, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS1's world design is such a masterclass I think everyone should experience it once, and probably earlier on in your souls journey so you're not spoilt by things like 'good bosses' and 'respecs'

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just loving play Dark Souls Remastered, the original game is only a bit over ten years old, it isn't a game from the n64 era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
For real. DS1 didn't become a bad game all of a sudden. Pal around with your buddy Solaire!