Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ELDEN RING PLATINUM ACHIEVED

I AM THE LORD OF FRENZIED FLAME

Shions of Qud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

drainpipe posted:

I've heard a lot about FromSoftware and want to give their games a try. I was thinking of either doing Dark Souls Remastered or Elden Ring. Just curious what you guys think would be a better game for a From newbie.

Don't know if it matters, but I won't be able to play online since I'll be playing via Wine on a Mac (people online seem to say both games run well this way except for not being online).

Elden Ring is a lot more smooth, streamlined and polished as a whole, I think it's the most fun of the whole catalogue to play at a moment to moment level.

But if you're after the Soulsborne experience, that's Dark Souls Remastered. DS1 is the one that roped most people in, and for good reason. I think it's the best designed of the series, personally. You should see what's the deal with it for yourself, and then try another game if you want more afterwards.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Alright, thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll go for DS1 (it's on sale right now also). I've heard it's a game that newcomers can bounce off of, which was why I considered Elden Ring instead. I'll try to keep in mind that it's supposed to be a slow, methodical game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
honestly i think AC6 really is the best answer for "first Fromsoft game" in 2024, but it's very different from everything else they've made in recent memory

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

drainpipe posted:

Alright, thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll go for DS1 (it's on sale right now also). I've heard it's a game that newcomers can bounce off of, which was why I considered Elden Ring instead. I'll try to keep in mind that it's supposed to be a slow, methodical game.

heres the most unique thing about fromsoft’s games, in my opinion: you usually cant interrupt your own animations, but you can queue up the next one, allowing for zero idle frames in between, say, attacking and dodging. new players will constantly do this accidently and die because of it, but mastering this intuitive frame-perfect inputs system is a big part of why it’s hard to go back to “normal” games

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

Just loving play Dark Souls Remastered, the original game is only a bit over ten years old, it isn't a game from the n64 era

Interesting post avatar combo.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zwingley posted:

if you do the exploding tear drop from the divine bridge

What is this?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Listerine posted:

What is this?

https://youtu.be/tvaMTZnzYC8?si=t5l860XUArcBM2wg

My parlance was especially hamtongued, it's better known (I think) as the divine bridge skip.

Basically using the exploding tear and a jump attack you can reset your fall distance

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 12, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zwingley posted:

https://youtu.be/tvaMTZnzYC8?si=t5l860XUArcBM2wg

My parlance was especially hamtongued, it's better known (I think) as the divine bridge skip.

Basically using the exploding tear and a jump attack you can reset your fall distance

holy poo poo

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Unfortunately, commiting such boldfaced progression fraud causes Melina to answer in kind, and she locks you in the Morgott arena until you talk to her

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mohg is giving me a hell of a time this playthru, I might end up having to summon help.

ETA: posting about it worked, it only took another five-ish tries before I got him. Good ol' bloody twinblade +17.

fritz fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 13, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

fritz posted:

Mohg is giving me a hell of a time this playthru, I might end up having to summon help.

ETA: posting about it worked, it only took another five-ish tries before I got him. Good ol' bloody twinblade +17.

Dude's pretty much a sack of flaming blood.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
I bounced off DS1 twice.
Then I tied Elden Ring and it became one of my favorite games ever.
Went through DS 3 and it’s pretty good, but I missed all the little improvements that ER has in comparison.
I just got through AC6, which is phenomenal. Starting my NG+ now.
I tried Sekiro, and really liked it for a while, but did not quite get the rhythm of the movement. It’s a me problem though - I am determined to come back to Sekiro and beat it.
But I might just go back to Elden ring for the dlc.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Play bloodborne

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Dr Cheesequake posted:

I bounced off DS1 twice.
Then I tied Elden Ring and it became one of my favorite games ever.
Went through DS 3 and it’s pretty good, but I missed all the little improvements that ER has in comparison.
I just got through AC6, which is phenomenal. Starting my NG+ now.
I tried Sekiro, and really liked it for a while, but did not quite get the rhythm of the movement. It’s a me problem though - I am determined to come back to Sekiro and beat it.
But I might just go back to Elden ring for the dlc.

Hesitation is defeat, Dr Cheesequake

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Populon posted:

Play bloodborne

:haibrow:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

buy a ps4 to play bloodborne

they're probably not that expensive anymore anyway

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At least get a Pro. Might as well play the PS1 demake as the regular PS4 version.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

codo27 posted:

At least get a Pro. Might as well play the PS1 demake as the regular PS4 version.

theres literally no difference between the two versions

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Revisiting this for the first time since I beat it. Playing through NG+ to prep for the DLC. I really love this game, but I’m being reminded why it was the first Souls game I didn’t bother to immediately play through again after beating it.

Really hope FromSoft capture more of that DS1 and BB magic with the next game. Part of me is worried they never will.

cornlog
May 1, 2008
My time in Elden Ring. I’ve played Demon Souls, all of the Dark Souls and Sekiro. The first one I played and completed was Bloodborne. I went into Elden Ring blind. Eventually, because I didn’t want to miss things, I would occasionally look things up.

I really enjoyed my first play through but the endgame for me became a slog. In the end it took me almost 150 hrs to beat. Granted I almost did everything. After Radahn, I would give a boss five tries solo and then use spirit ashes. The mimic tear being my primary ash. I struggled against every boss from Morgott on. I told a friend that I thought the end bosses were harder than the ones in Sekiro. Mostly because I knew in Sekiro you can beat every boss with just the sword and grappling hook while in Elden Ring the bosses have to be balanced for a variety of builds. Anyway after beating Malenia with the mimic tear, after dying a countless number of times, I was happy to be done with the game.

Now I have over 900 hours in the game. How did this happen? First I was unemployed which I don’t recommend. My ego wanted to beat the game and every boss solo. I watched some speed runs. I also watched channels like Thingfishy’s that showed how to make an overpowered build. Later the Shadow of the Erdtree trailer got me hyped to play some more.

Here is the thing though. I’m not as good as my ego thinks I am. When I first played I basically brute forced the game. I wasn’t experimental. I didn’t use the mixed physic well or really explored the various use of talismans. The Thingfishy videos got me to think I could make an overpowered strength faith build and skate through the game solo. Well it’s true I could melt the first few bosses, the Morgott to endgame gauntlet still gave me trouble. I had to learn the game. The first solo run I beat every main boss using the golden halberd and blasphemous blade. Except for three. The Godskin Duo I summoned Berenthal, because I messed up the sleep pots strat. Real Mohg and Malenia were left undone on that save.

Even though I didn’t beat every boss on that run, I had fun playing it. Setting up a build as fast as I could, remembering various item locations and learning the bosses better made the game fresh for me again. I still was making attempts on Mohg and Malenia but I allowed myself to start other builds where I would basically do the same thing. I made peace with the fact that I probably would never truly solo the Godskin Duo. I still celebrated when I sleep potted them clean the first time. I ended up beating Mohg on the first save and every other play through I started. I eventually just had a bunch of characters saved at the Roots of the Haligtree in front of Malenia.

I eventually beat Malenia on that first save using parries and the Blasphemous Blade. I honestly thought I would be making attempts on her till the end of time. On her second phase she did the Scarlet Aeonia when she was low on health. After I dodged it, I knew she was good as dead. The celebration I had was probably embarrassing if someone had witnessed it. Since then I have beaten her four more times solo with various builds. I even beat the Godskin Duo solo with the large club without using sleep pots. My hand was shaking after I did it.

Im still not good at the game. I know the boss patterns and tendencies very well but still screw up all the time. I still curse when it happens. I hate the corpse run to Rennala. I’ll panic run with Horah Lou when I should roll forward and to the side. I learned to appreciate Elden Beast for what it is even when it spams AOE attacks when it’s close to death.

I’m looking forward to Shadow of the Erdtree. I think my experience will allow me to be more free with experimenting with the new systems. I also hope that when I run into a hard boss I will accept that I’m not good and enjoy the experience on the game’s terms.
God bless you if you read this whole thing.

Oh and gently caress Sir Gideon the all knowing in the ear.

cornlog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 14, 2024

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m getting absolutely thumped trying to beat crucible knight duo on my fat roll pike play-through. Probably put three and a half hours into this poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cornlog posted:

My time in Elden Ring. I’ve played Demon Souls, all of the Dark Souls and Sekiro. The first one I played and completed was Bloodborne. I went into Elden Ring blind. Eventually, because I didn’t want to miss things, I would occasionally look things up.
I really enjoyed my first play through but the endgame for me became a slog. In the end it took me almost 150 hrs to beat. Granted I almost did everything. After Radahn, I would give a boss five tries solo and then use spirit ashes. The mimic tear being my primary ash. I struggled against every boss from Morgott on. I told a friend that I thought the end bosses were harder than the ones in Sekiro. Mostly because I knew in Sekiro you can beat every boss with just the sword and grappling hook while in Elden Ring the bosses have to be balanced for a variety of builds. Anyway after beating Malenia with the mimic tear, after dying a countless number of times, I was happy to be done with the game.
Now I have over 900 hours in the game. How did this happen? First I was unemployed which I don’t recommend. My ego wanted to beat the game and every boss solo. I watched some speed runs. I also watched channels like Thingfishy’s that showed how to make an overpowered build. Later the Shadow of the Erdtree trailer got me hyped to play some more.
Here is the thing though. I’m not as good as my ego thinks I am. When I first played I basically brute forced the game. I wasn’t experimental. I didn’t use the mixed physic well or really explored the various use of talismans. The Thingfishy videos got me to think I could make an overpowered strength faith build and skate through the game solo. Well it’s true I could melt the first few bosses, the Morgott to endgame gauntlet still gave me trouble. I had to learn the game. The first solo run I beat every main boss using the golden halberd and blasphemous blade. Except for three. The Godskin Duo I summoned Berenthal, because I messed up the sleep pots strat. Real Mohg and Malenia were left undone on that save.
Even though I didn’t beat every boss on that run, I had fun playing it. Setting up a build as fast as I could, remembering various item locations and learning the bosses better made the game fresh for me again. I still was making attempts on Mohg and Malenia but I allowed myself to start other builds where I would basically do the same thing. I made peace with the fact that I probably would never truly solo the Godskin Duo. I still celebrated when I sleep potted them clean the first time. I ended up beating Mohg on the first save and every other play through I started. I eventually just had a bunch of characters saved at the Roots of the Haligtree in front of Malenia.
I eventually beat Malenia on that first save using parries and the Blasphemous Blade. I honestly thought I would be making attempts on her till the end of time. On her second phase she did the Scarlet Aeonia when she was low on health. After I dodged it, I knew she was good as dead. The celebration I had was probably embarrassing if someone had witnessed it. Since then I have beaten her four more times solo with various builds. I even beat the Godskin Duo solo with the large club without using sleep pots. My hand was shaking after I did it.
Im still not good at the game. I know the boss patterns and tendencies very well but still screw up all the time. I still curse when it happens. I hate the corpse run to Rennala. I’ll panic run with Horah Lou when I should roll forward and to the side. I learned to appreciate Elden Beast for what it is even when it spams AOE attacks when it’s close to death.
I’m looking forward to Shadow of the Erdtree. I think my experience will allow me to be more free with experimenting with the new systems. I also hope that when I run into a hard boss I will accept that I’m not good and enjoy the experience on the game’s terms.
God bless you if you read this whole thing.

Oh and gently caress Sir Gideon the all knowing in the ear.

my friend have you heard of paragraphs?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

I’m getting absolutely thumped trying to beat crucible knight duo on my fat roll pike play-through. Probably put three and a half hours into this poo poo.

Yea that fight is absolute balls without a solid summon to run interference for you. You can’t parry two knights at once.

My wizard with a mace was having a hell of a time so I gave up. Planning to come back when I have the mimic tear.

cornlog
May 1, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

my friend have you heard of paragraphs?

My apologies. Post edited.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

cornlog posted:

My apologies. Post edited.

You should have doubled down and removed all spaces and punctuation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you beat Malenia with parries and no summon you can say you're good at the game now, it's okay, I've given you permission. Getting good doesn't look like becoming a speedrunner, it looks like finding ways to gimp yourself from what you know works to make things more interesting or try other things out. It's playing fast and loose with something OP in your back pocket you know you can one shot any boss with just in case. Once you've done that 10,000 times, you're in the realm where speedrunners operate.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

a primate posted:

Yea that fight is absolute balls without a solid summon to run interference for you. You can’t parry two knights at once.

My wizard with a mace was having a hell of a time so I gave up. Planning to come back when I have the mimic tear.

It's not that hard to keep space from one of them, the AI usually cuts you a break there

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
https://youtu.be/SJnKGodp8sY?si=9NX4NpTynqZpWZaA

This is me 1000 hours into every souls game

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Zwingley posted:

It's not that hard to keep space from one of them, the AI usually cuts you a break there

Yeah they patched how these duo fights operate some time ago. They used to team up on you but now one usually hangs back while the other attacks. Sometimes they still attack in tandem tho

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

crucible duo has multiple issues: they both constantly approach (though only one at a time will approach aggressively), have a combination of long combos and longer range attacks that make it very easy for you to get clipped when trying to go in to trade hits conventionally, have automatic healing punish built into their behaviour tree, and have a phase 2 that can gently caress with your camera when you're trying to keep both in LoS to avoid the spear knight randomly getting the attack token and then hitting you from two continents away

i've parry kinged them before but it's frankly just a boring, tedious fight with awful rewards, and you miss nothing by busting out mimic tear to trivially clear it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lost me at “awful rewards”, Ordovis greatsword slaps

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skasion posted:

Lost me at “awful rewards”, Ordovis greatsword slaps

Key piece of gear for playing as a crucible knight. Plus the WA is jolly good fun.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Yeah, this guy seems like a stable member of society...

But seriously, it's kinda amazing that you technically gain nothing but leading poor Boggart to his agonizing death (unless you never bought anything but the necklace which you can do) and likely several more people off-screen. Especially since after you fight him off in an invasion, you have the option to help him for something that's bad for everyone.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my longstanding philosophy is that if a weapon weighs more than 5.5 units and can't have lion's claw then it's going in the bin

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vermain posted:

my longstanding philosophy is that if a weapon weighs more than 5.5 units and can't have lion's claw then it's going in the bin

Completely sympathize. However the Ordovis weapon art got repeatedly buffed and is functionally equivalent to lion’s claw. By which I mean “can stunlock Malenia”

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Pyro Jack posted:

Yeah, this guy seems like a stable member of society...

But seriously, it's kinda amazing that you technically gain nothing but leading poor Boggart to his agonizing death (unless you never bought anything but the necklace which you can do) and likely several more people off-screen. Especially since after you fight him off in an invasion, you have the option to help him for something that's bad for everyone.

Well you get a cool sword and your boiled crab vendor is now in a more convenient location so overall poop world is worth it I’d say.

Actually if you just ally with the dolly botherer you can get all that AND a puppet who will beat the game for you AND some armor that tells people you only care about poise, while skipping poop world entirely. Win win really.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I allied with Seluvius (temporarily) for the sole purpose of loving over Dung Eater and I have no regrets

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I tried that this run and must have triggered the wrong thing because I couldn't give him the potion, so I just cut him down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Can you still aggro boggart at his crab location to keep the dung eater from killing him?