Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/92pr96p%29.html

So basically he paid rather more than what the thing was worth to begin with, put up with the usual maintainance required for a almost 20 year old German sports car, and sold it for fair market value.

I bet he's now quite the expert on early 90s Porsches though. Has he started shopping for 928s yet?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Has he started shopping for 928s yet?

When you like spending money and wrenching more than driving (a 3 speed automatic touring car), there is no substitute.

(yes, I know you could get 4 speed juice boxes and 5 speed manuals, but go ahead and try to find a 5 speed for sale at a sane price)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 11, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Throatwarbler posted:

So basically he paid rather more than what the thing was worth to begin with, put up with the usual maintainance required for a almost 20 year old German sports car, and sold it for fair market value.
I think that's the real risk with importing a car from Japan. You should probably plan on spending a bunch of money just for maintenance and then some. Generally speaking, a person is probably far better off paying market price for either a North American spec car or one that's already been imported and made up to snuff.

Motronic posted:

When you like spending money and wrenching more than driving (a 3 speed automatic touring car), there is no substitute.

(yes, I know you could get 4 speed juice boxes and 5 speed manuals, but go ahead and try to find a 5 speed for sale at a sane price)
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Porsche-928-GT-5-spd-330-hp-REDUCED-W0QQAdIdZ271255605
Another J-spec undoubtedly, complete with funky euro cloth.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

I think that's the real risk with importing a car from Japan. You should probably plan on spending a bunch of money just for maintenance and then some. Generally speaking, a person is probably far better off paying market price for either a North American spec car or one that's already been imported and made up to snuff.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Porsche-928-GT-5-spd-330-hp-REDUCED-W0QQAdIdZ271255605
Another J-spec undoubtedly, complete with funky euro cloth.

Well yeah he would have been better off buying a 968 for $9k instead of $15k. I don't think being Japanese has anything to do with it?

Unless it's some kind of pristine garage kept show car (and 99% of cars are not), any 15 year old German sports car is going to cost at least $10k to bring up to snuff, no matter where it is from. This sounds outrageous and I did not believe it when I was first told it. I believe it now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

Well yeah he would have been better off buying a 968 for $9k instead of $15k. I don't think being Japanese has anything to do with it?
For some reason Japanese cars, even relatively recent ones seem to have horrific dry rot on rubber components. Add in being thrown into an ocean container for a month or two at 100% humidity with little to no proper prep, it's not a stretch that car from Japan have a real risk of being in worse shape upon arrival than a comparable NA car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

For some reason Japanese cars, even relatively recent ones seem to have horrific dry rot on rubber components. Add in being thrown into an ocean container for a month or two at 100% humidity with little to no proper prep, it's not a stretch that car from Japan have a real risk of being in worse shape upon arrival than a comparable NA car.

How big a sample size are you basing this on? I've seen plenty of Japanese cars, owned a couple, and have not seen this. There are plenty of problems with importing Japanese cars but this thing you are talking about sounds implausible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Throatwarbler posted:

How big a sample size are you basing this on? I've seen plenty of Japanese cars, owned a couple, and have not seen this. There are plenty of problems with importing Japanese cars but this thing you are talking about sounds implausible.
Few admittedly. Maybe 12 or so? Completely anecdotal. Only from the guys that I've talked to that have brought in Porsches, BMWs and a few Skylines. One guy in particular I spoke to that's big in the E31 community think it has something to do with the fumigation they go through before they're locked up in the can. Just a theory though.

I'm far from an expert of course but being in a hot, humid can for so long with mystery spray from the fumigation, I don't think it's an incredible stretch.

To be clear I'm not saying that all Jspec imports without exception will need massive work nor am I saying North American cars don't because of course they do. I'm just saying the Japanese ones I've checked into personally have. If you've had good luck, that's great.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2433706710.html

quote:

1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance - $900

1989 Cadillac Brougham d,Elegance white w/ blue interior
v8 engine RWD,
tuned up last year all new belts and hoses
only 140k mi good condition run's great needs a new back window and bumper adjusted.
More pictures on reply
Love the car just lost my job and need to pay the bills with a little love will be a beautiful car

Please tell me why it is a horrible idea to buy this

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

You should buy it just to save it from almost certain donkening :( 6 months from now it'll have lambo doors, 26" RIMZ, and a Twizzlers paint job unless you do something to save it. :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/92pr96p%29.html

I bet he's now quite the expert on early 90s Porsches though. Has he started shopping for 928s yet?

Holy crap, thanks for this site. I've never seen a canadian site for used car prices, it will come in handy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

Looks pretty sharp. If I didn't have a hard on for a 62-76 era I'd love one like that. You can't find a car nowadays with that kind of styling.

That's a pretty darn good price too. Probably won't have many rust issues being not in the NE, and if there were some mechanical things wrong too, who cares, you bought it for $900.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
Not sure what's wrong with this one, except for some damage around the right front fender, but these don't come up very often without major modifications, especially at this price.

Link to ad:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/2435115549.html

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't know man, a V6 swap is a pretty big mod. :v:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

djdanno13 posted:

http://northplatte.craigslist.org/cto/2431210045.html

Had to post this, snotty kid gets a free truck and doesn't want it and succumbs to the old "it's an old car, it's a classic, it's worth $$$$$"

I must say, that is probably the cleanest 79 dodge truck I've ever seen.

What I don't get is why someone hacked in a 80's GM Corporate Cassette Deck radio when the Chrysler Corporate one would have plugged right in and is just as common...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Absolutely clueless as to what something like this would be worth but I bet it would be hella fun.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1977-Datsun-510-Championship-Rally-Car-W0QQAdIdZ288546585

quote:

This is a purposed built Datsun 510 rally car. Built by Millen Racing in '77, won the North American Rally championships in '78 . Full 11 point roll cage, vintage Recaro racing seats, 5 point Luke belts, fuel cell ( fills through the roof) Engine was fully built stroked cams , duel webber carbs, twin fuel pumps, lockheed big brake kit, rear end reinforced, fiberglass wide body kit, fiberglass hood, Inboard computer for recording stage times, front and rear sway bars, adjustable coil overs in the front, oil filter relocation and cooler kit, This car literally has 300 miles on it . MUST SEE !!!!!!!!! MAKE ME AN OFFER...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Man, it's a shame the digital camera used to take those pictures appears to also have been built in '77.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/2433326859.html

2004 Crown Victoria LX. 58K for $7988. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

san_dingo
May 31, 2004

I thought it was fast at the time.

COUGH 71hp COUGH
Yeah, gas prices have been high lately, but that doesn't mean your '78 tin can that needs work is gonna bring $4500. :downs:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
My dad had one of those, I'm pretty sure they didn't cost $4500 new.

edit: also it's very unlikely to have a 5-speed, unless you count reverse as a "speed".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

el topo posted:

My dad had one of those, I'm pretty sure they didn't cost $4500 new.

edit: also it's very unlikely to have a 5-speed, unless you count reverse as a "speed".

The Aussie ones had the option of the 5 speed box. However we were stuck with the slow as poo poo 4K-C motor (1.3lt) and that particular model of Corolla was a porky bastard for that small motor.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

73 Mach 1 Mustang spotted. Would this be a terrible idea to buy and then drop a engine/transmission into?

quote:

NO ENGINE OR TRANS. VERY LITTLE RUST FOR A MUSTANG. ALL OPTIONS,DISC BRAKES A/C REAR DEFOGGER,FACTORY TACH AND GAUGES DEALER ALARM AND TRAC PAC .53,000 ORIGINAL MILES ON SILVER CAR WITH DECENT BLACK INTERIOR EXCEPT HEADLINER.HAVE COMPLETE SET OF 20 INCH 2010 BULLIT RIMS AND TIRES CLEAR TITLE .

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2431093180.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Armyman25 posted:

Not an amazing deal, either. I got an '03 P71 with 180K but mostly replaced maintenance parts for $2000, and I think the relative savings has made it a better deal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Secret Machine posted:

73 Mach 1 Mustang spotted. Would this be a terrible idea to buy and then drop a engine/transmission into?

Only a good idea if you change nothing else about it.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

djdanno13 posted:

Had to post this, snotty kid gets a free truck and doesn't want it and succumbs to the old "it's an old car, it's a classic, it's worth $$$$$"

If this were my kid and I stumbled across this ad, I'd kick his rear end for being an ungrateful little poo poo, then I'd repo the truck from him, and drive it myself, I have a very unhealthy love of that style Dodge truck (and same years Chevy's too as I have an 85 Silverado LWB myself).

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Secret Machine posted:

It would be terrible not to.

Get a crate motor ($4000?) a good rebuilt transmission ($1000?) and for under $10G you'd have one rip snorting good time on 4 wheels on your hands.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Grimster posted:

If this were my kid and I stumbled across this ad, I'd kick his rear end for being an ungrateful little poo poo, then I'd repo the truck from him, and drive it myself, I have a very unhealthy love of that style Dodge truck (and same years Chevy's too as I have an 85 Silverado LWB myself).

Meh, you guys work yourself into a tizzy way to easily. How do you know the kid isn't going to school at place where undergrads cannot have cars? Isn't about to join the army? Isn't quadriplegic? Isn't restoring a classic Porsche?

For Gods sake, it isn't a family heirloom it is POS '79 with an underpowered 318 that will suck gas like its going out of style. It SHOULD go to someone that is in love with that body style.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Grimster posted:

Way for you jerks to read way too much into the ad. He didn't say "I HATE THIS DUMB OLD TRUCK" he said he didn't have much use for it. Who knows what that means exactly, but it's not being an "ungrateful little poo poo."

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Grimster posted:

It would be terrible not to.

Get a crate motor ($4000?) a good rebuilt transmission ($1000?) and for under $10G you'd have one rip snorting good time on 4 wheels on your hands.

I have a feeling by the time you replaced all the moving parts and made it presentable you would be in it for more than $10k.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

coinstarpatrick posted:

I have a feeling by the time you replaced all the moving parts and made it presentable you would be in it for more than $10k.

And by the time it's done, you'll probably be outed as a racist. :can:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Tai-Pan posted:

Meh, you guys work yourself into a tizzy way to easily. How do you know the kid isn't going to school at place where undergrads cannot have cars? Isn't about to join the army? Isn't quadriplegic? Isn't restoring a classic Porsche?

For Gods sake, it isn't a family heirloom it is POS '79 with an underpowered 318 that will suck gas like its going out of style. It SHOULD go to someone that is in love with that body style.

I'm more shocked at the fact he thinks a 79' anything is worth $7500 let alone a lowest option dodge truck with the weakest 318 of all time featuring the most stupid big box electronic ignition ever.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

coinstarpatrick posted:

This. And I don't have a garage nor the experience to put in a motor/transmission by myself. Plus my poor bank account... :qq:

But man, what a sweet ride it would be.

Was someone in AI restoring a car outed as a racist?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sockington posted:

And by the time it's done, you'll probably be outed as a racist. :can:

I was waiting for this joke

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

Armyman25 posted:

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, considering that is a Sport package one, which are all going for 10k plus around me. Sport means it has all the goodies for a Crown Vic, all the power options, better handling, etc. Also, it's an '04, so it will have the redesigned front end suspension making it handle significantly better than an older one. I'd go for it, especially considering that since it's a dealer you can probably talk them down a little more, maybe even a grand less, since it seems like they don't know what they have.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Secret Machine posted:

This. And I don't have a garage nor the experience to put in a motor/transmission by myself. Plus my poor bank account... :qq:

But man, what a sweet ride it would be.

Was someone in AI restoring a car outed as a racist?

Yeah, if you google "dalabast mustang" you'll find some stuff. Dude was restoring one of those, and midway through his thread someone pointed out some other bad decisions he'd made elsewhere on the internet.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Raluek posted:

Yeah, if you google "dalabast mustang" you'll find some stuff. Dude was restoring one of those, and midway through his thread someone pointed out some other bad decisions he'd made elsewhere on the internet.

Ah, I just read his SAclopedia entry. It was very uh.....interesting to say the least. What a shame, I image searched to see if there were any pics of his Mach 1. It looks nice if I found the right one (light yellow with a black racing stripe and louvers?).

If I do buy this Mach 1 and start a restoration thread, I'm not worried about being outed a racist. The only other forum I belong to is a Harry Potter/Boba Fett Fan Fiction Board. Its mostly light slash and tickling. :goonsay:

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
If you kick on over to someplace like Vintage Mustang Forum, you'll see that "very little rust for a mustang" means "it only needs new metal from the firewall forward!" :downsgun:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Secret Machine posted:

It's a good start if you want to do an Eleanor from the original Gone in 60 Seconds.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

djdanno13 posted:

gently caress that kid. That truck is rad.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You Am I posted:

It's a good start if you want to do an Eleanor from the original Gone in 60 Seconds.

I have wanted to do that for years. Just a nice unassuming old yellow mustang with plain hubcaps and a sweet-rear end warmed over 351C. Just have to keep up with the horoscopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gently caress that kid. That truck is rad.

Heck yeah, plus no one will bug him to borrow it because they won't be able to figure out 3 on the tree