Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

discstickers posted:

Very nice. Not a manual, I'm assuming?

I've had four cars since I joined SA.

Sadly no, it's an auto. Audi never offered the B8 A4 Avant in the US with a manual. I made sure to find one with the newer 8-speed transmission though. I'm very pleased with it so far. If I decide I'm missing a third pedal in my life, I'll go get a fun weekend car/track toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CharlesM posted:

Nice find, unfortunately (or not?) for 2013 they got rid of the regular wagon and "Outbackified" it a bit, if you could call it that, and renamed it the Allroad, without the trick suspension of the original one though.

Not having the air suspension is definitely a positive.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Traded in my pickup last weekend for a used Opel:

2008 with 34,500 miles on it. It's the XE with a few options tacked on.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Das Volk posted:

There's a few of us kicking around who have been here since we were in our teens/early 20s. I originally came in here when I bought an Evo :v: I just realized I've been here for 10 years today :psyduck:

Oh God you just made me realize I've been on here 10 years too. :psyduck:

One day longer than you though :smuggo:

But yeah, I'm in the same boat, came her in my early 20s, though in my case it was after I bought a second gen WRX.

What's funny is that I've come full circle in that time and I'm back buying cheap econoboxes, but now because they're just plain fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

Brought my new car home tonight.

2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line Sport package. Loaded to the gills and more technology than an aircraft carrier. I already love it.

Just realized I've been here on SA long enough to have posted my last five cars in this thread, but missed the sixth one somewhere in there.

It's about drat time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Looks like it, I had to GIS to see if it was in our W210 and it looks like not. I suspect it probably went away once they decided to capitalize on economies of scale by using a common speedo whenever possible, rather than having to swap it out for each engine/transmission/final drive combo.

Is that really what they are? I've never owned a MB and only driven a few so I'm definitely no exert, but I seem to recall that they're just indicators for the most common speed limits, like 50 km/h urban, 90 country and 130 highway or something like that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Seller's picture, too dark to take my own right now (I certainly will be), but I couldn't wait.

Traded the benz for this beast...

e: 1993 Chevy G20 LE with *blue plush interior* and a 5.7L V8.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 28, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Reichstag posted:

Seller's picture, too dark to take my own right now (I certainly will be), but I couldn't wait.

Traded the benz for this beast...

Gonna be hanging out at elementary schools now?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Reichstag posted:

Nice choice, needs bigger rimzz.

Yesterday I finally stepped into the new millennium. Previous newest car was 18 years older than this. Still under warranty Candy White 2010 Mk6 GTI 4-door w 20k miles -- 6 speed no DSG. It has all sorts of firsts for me, iPod integration, Blueteeth, heated seats, blinkers on the mirrors etc. Feels faster than my 951! First and only thing to do is to replace the Denvers with a different set of 17s -- I'm thinking B5 S4 Avuses.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2012

Veegie
Jan 6, 2011

Took the typical fall shot of my E92 M3 a few weeks ago, and another in the parking garage below the studio.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Very artsy. Also, that looks very much like Washington.

weak
Sep 2, 2011

My daily (and only) driver. It is a 1989 B3 Audi 80 1.8S and I am only the second owner.

I bought it from a ~70 year old woman for 850€ and I have been very happy with it ever since.

Bonus points for anyone who can recognize the flags of the countries I visited on the back. They are from two different road trips and are ordered from right to left.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Veegie posted:

Took the typical fall shot of my E92 M3 a few weeks ago, and another in the parking garage below the studio.

What's going on, Alpine White E92 M3 buddy?! Now I have to post images of mine... in time. What suspension are you sitting on?

Veegie
Jan 6, 2011

thealphabetsez posted:

What's going on, Alpine White E92 M3 buddy?! Now I have to post images of mine... in time. What suspension are you sitting on?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Please put yours up though!
When I got the car, there was no mention of any suspension changes, but I really feel like my car sits about 1" lower than stock. I'll have to get under it and investigate soon.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

weak posted:

My daily (and only) driver. It is a 1989 B3 Audi 80 1.8S and I am only the second owner.

I bought it from a ~70 year old woman for 850€ and I have been very happy with it ever since.

Bonus points for anyone who can recognize the flags of the countries I visited on the back. They are from two different road trips and are ordered from right to left.

I was kind of surprised to see the it hadn't been exported until I read it was owned by a 70 year old. When I was in Poland it seemed like once a car reached 3-5 years most Germans would sell it off; most likely going cross-border.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's in quite good shape. Here in the States I don't see those anymore.
I only recognize the Denmark and Austria flags. Doesn't help that the right side is washed out. On the other hand, I am a dumb American so the fact I know anything at all is a plus! :P

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

Hey, when did you get one? Just anecdotal but the Dinan stage 3 suspension felt absolutely awesome on the car and changed the handling balance to neutral/slight oversteer instead of understeer. Still streetable as well. I wouldn't bother with their performance stuff though, Evolve makes much better tunes/upgrades.

weak
Sep 2, 2011

CharlesM posted:

It's in quite good shape. Here in the States I don't see those anymore.
I only recognize the Denmark and Austria flags. Doesn't help that the right side is washed out. On the other hand, I am a dumb American so the fact I know anything at all is a plus! :P

It looks better in the picture than it really is, but at least this way I do not have to worry about every little dent and scratch. Case in point: Last year someone crashed into my passenger door at night and left without calling the police or leaving a note. Obviously I was not very pleased, but as long as it still runs, the car is not going to lose too much value any more.

And I am afraid to tell you that there is no Austrian flag on the back of that car. I think you can only correctly guess the four flags on the right if you look at a map and fill in the gaps.

travisray2004 posted:

I was kind of surprised to see the it hadn't been exported until I read it was owned by a 70 year old. When I was in Poland it seemed like once a car reached 3-5 years most Germans would sell it off; most likely going cross-border.

Not everyone can afford to do that, though. Instead of selling your car once it is 3-5 years old you might as well burn your money. I guess there are quite a lot of new company and leasing cars on German roads today. And not to forget there was a state-funded programme a couple of years back where you would get 2500€ for your old car (no matter what condition or model) when buying a new one.

I actually do find a lot of business cards from shady import/export dealers on my windscreen, but there is no reason to call them just yet. As far as I know the vast majority of used German cars get exported to Africa by the way.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Just picked it up today.. 1987 model with 98K miles on the odo.

Craigslist ad photo:

Loaded up and ready to take home:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congratulations on getting such a lovely vehicle. What are your plans?

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Just going to clean her up and make her more presentable. Later on down the road possibly stuff in a spare 4.3L V6 Turbo engine from a GMC Typhoon I have laying around.. if it would even remotely fit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Big rear end Rims, is the correct answer

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

weak posted:

It looks better in the picture than it really is, but at least this way I do not have to worry about every little dent and scratch. Case in point: Last year someone crashed into my passenger door at night and left without calling the police or leaving a note. Obviously I was not very pleased, but as long as it still runs, the car is not going to lose too much value any more.

And I am afraid to tell you that there is no Austrian flag on the back of that car. I think you can only correctly guess the four flags on the right if you look at a map and fill in the gaps.

Not everyone can afford to do that, though. Instead of selling your car once it is 3-5 years old you might as well burn your money. I guess there are quite a lot of new company and leasing cars on German roads today. And not to forget there was a state-funded programme a couple of years back where you would get 2500€ for your old car (no matter what condition or model) when buying a new one.

I actually do find a lot of business cards from shady import/export dealers on my windscreen, but there is no reason to call them just yet. As far as I know the vast majority of used German cars get exported to Africa by the way.
True, that could have been a contributing factor since it's been about two years since I was there. Didn't know about Africa though, that's pretty interesting.

epix posted:

Craigslist ad photo:

Very cool Subie. And I don't know why but I find that SS color combo rad as gently caress.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

epix posted:

Just going to clean her up and make her more presentable. Later on down the road possibly stuff in a spare 4.3L V6 Turbo engine from a GMC Typhoon I have laying around.. if it would even remotely fit.
I doubt if the V6 would fit in there. The trick with those is slamming a STi motor in them :)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Veegie posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure. Please put yours up though!
When I got the car, there was no mention of any suspension changes, but I really feel like my car sits about 1" lower than stock. I'll have to get under it and investigate soon.

I really, really like the ride height. So in any event, go you! Located in WA? I'm in/nearby PDX in OR.

Das Volk posted:

Hey, when did you get one? Just anecdotal but the Dinan stage 3 suspension felt absolutely awesome on the car and changed the handling balance to neutral/slight oversteer instead of understeer. Still streetable as well. I wouldn't bother with their performance stuff though, Evolve makes much better tunes/upgrades.

I've had mine for 6-months now. I sold my Subaru sometime earlier this year, where at the time I was spending M-F travelling for work, so I enjoyed the freedom, and plethora of rental vehicles. It really is my sister's fault that I got this car, and my appreciation for it is... well I no longer think you were being colorful citing auto journalists listing it as the best car, haha.

I'm looking forward to spring so I can get back to the track and continue developing my abilities. I do admit harbouring a strong desire to bring the ride height down slightly. TC Kline's EDC kit had my eye, but I can't find any suitable reviews of it. Was your experience with the Dinan stuff on an EDC equipped car? That's my big holdup with everything.

Here is an image my sister caught, of my retardation driving the car:

I'd apologize for using instagram on the next images, but it'd just be insincere.

Sister and her man-friend got me the black chrome kidney grilles as a birthday gift, so I completed the set and got the accompanying black chrome fender grilles.

Oh ha-ha. Asking for a quart.

I genuinely look forward to every opportunity to drive this car, and for the first time in my life, I have found a car that I will fight to keep in my possession until I pass.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

weak posted:

Oh, what colors are in that wavy flag on the right then?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

I've had mine for 6-months now. I sold my Subaru sometime earlier this year, where at the time I was spending M-F travelling for work, so I enjoyed the freedom, and plethora of rental vehicles. It really is my sister's fault that I got this car, and my appreciation for it is... well I no longer think you were being colorful citing auto journalists listing it as the best car, haha.

I'm looking forward to spring so I can get back to the track and continue developing my abilities. I do admit harbouring a strong desire to bring the ride height down slightly. TC Kline's EDC kit had my eye, but I can't find any suitable reviews of it. Was your experience with the Dinan stuff on an EDC equipped car? That's my big holdup with everything.

I genuinely look forward to every opportunity to drive this car, and for the first time in my life, I have found a car that I will fight to keep in my possession until I pass.

My first one was the standard suspension, and after owning both an EDC car and the standard suspension car I'd say there's advantages and disadvantages to both. What I have read about the EDC version of that kit is that it improves handling substantially without being too stiff. Full stiff is like normal on that car's settings with that kit, from what I read on m3post. I can say from experience that your ride and handling will benefit significantly from switching to lighter 18" wheels, so if you do it all at once you may not notice a change in ride comfort. Tires will be cheaper too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

epix posted:

Please don't do that. The BRAT is starting to be a pretty rare vehicle. Take a look on http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/.
There is a lot of knowledge on there about older subarus. Anyway, a v6 won't fit. Even an EJ motor won't really fit without some clearancing. The engine in there is the ea81, a pushrod 1.8 rated at 73hp with a carb.
There are better carbs you can get for those that make a HUGE difference, also, EFI swap from newer GL/loyale isn't that hard.
I have a newer GL with that motor swapped in and EFI on it, it's not THAT slow. Especially considering it's lifted with bigger tires. It'll do 70 on the highway with minimal complaining. With EFI or a decent carb it's good for around 80hp and 100ft/lbs torque. Which isn't bad for a car that weighs 2000lbs.

A cool swap in these is the ej22 with an awd 5speed transmission, it's a bit of work, but it's such a small car that the upgrade to 135hp makes it pretty quick.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I used my car to do a thing :downs:

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Pulled my two cars out to do an updated family photo (the 951 is purposely left out)

Even small new cars are big -- the GTI is an inch longer and nearly nine inches wider than the Datsun and then +1000 lbs!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That Datsun is awesome and I curse you for living somewhere that it hasn't turned to dust yet.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Blooot posted:

Pulled my two cars out to do an updated family photo (the 951 is purposely left out)
Your GTI is gorgeous and I am jealous.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

epix posted:

Craigslist ad photo:

Ugh I loving love the Brat and this one looks awesome. Swap on a pre-82 front fascia and good luck with the engine swap.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo that Datsun is sexy as gently caress.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
My 1966 El Camino, got it last week. My first car of my own, bought it for $7500.

weak
Sep 2, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Oh, what colors are in that wavy flag on the right then?

Wikipedia tells me it is called 'maroon'.

It is actually the Latvian flag although the spacing of the band does make it look more like an Austrian flag I have to admit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ErectorBeast posted:

My 1966 El Camino, got it last week. My first car of my own, bought it for $7500.

Sweet, whats it got a 283?

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Billy Tully posted:

Sweet, whats it got a 283?

Yeah, a 283. It needs air conditioning, and I plan to get new seats (they have shag seat covers on them right now) and a new sound system, but I really like it, it's an awesome car and quite the head-turner. The guy who owned it before me replaced the bench seat with bucket seats and furnished a custom oak wood console between them, it's pretty badass. Still needs work though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So is a brat like a brumby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

General_Failure posted:

So is a brat like a brumby?

Yeah, same car, different name