Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s kind of an indictment of the whole business model of the NFL on tv. Like literally every other sport follows the model of “If you’re looking for Game X, switch over to Channel N, otherwise stick around for the end of Game Y. We will bring you to Game X at the completion of Game Y.”

But hey, it continues to work for them so they’ll keep doing what they’re doing and won’t adapt, they rarely if ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a few years back they moved the start of the late games to 4:25 to try to minimize this

and it looks like it's getting worse

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It is especially in Australia when it does that because we grab the feed from somewhere and it will cut to the start of some lame game missing the end of whatever OT thriller is on earlier.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You'd think the NFL would learn from the Heidi Bowl piece they produced on their very own Youtube channel and which has made every NFL highlight film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zF2cGSjSw

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I visited my parents this weekend and my dad just watches Red Zone for the regular season and I can’t say I blame him. Obviously it doesn’t work for all sports but for football it’s perfect.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Unless there's a game I care about on or that's really good I pretty much stick to Goal Line now on Saturday. It's a good way to have at least base familiarity for a lot of teams. It doesn't really work for basketball but a few years ago they had a thing where they were just covering the last five minutes of games that were close that had a similar feeling.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Goal Line is a cool idea that I don't think works well in practice both because of the sheer number of games and because of how fractured college football's tv rights are. Because it's limited to just ESPN games you wind up missing a ton. It also doesn't really seem to flow as smoothly as Red Zone does, either because there's still too much to keep up with or because they're just not as good at producing it as the DirecTV or NFL guys are.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 9, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As far as variety goes it's probably worse than last year since they have cut out the ESPN+ games, not that those usually made it in there anyway.

I think your points are all valid and I wish all that stuff was there, but I guess for me it's good enough, or at least better than getting stuck on the mid day SEC one-sided stomping.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah if they had the rights to more games it wouldn't be half bad. Now whenever I flip to it there's Florida Atlantic and SMU playing or something.

If ESPN ever got rid of the NFL, I wonder if they could just corner the market on college football and do some cool stuff.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
ESPN’s college football coverage was arguably better a few years back before they lost a big portion of the Big Ten package. Before Fox got into the game and launched FS1 and locked down the Pac12 and part of the Big Ten, ESPN was pretty much it other than the SEC on CBS and Notre Dame on NBC which was 2 games a week max.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, whoever makes the advertising for Fox's CFB effort needs some credit. It's drat good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mario and Rod are out after their chair fight
https://twitter.com/freepsports/status/1049803915112402946?s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

ESPN�s college football coverage was arguably better a few years back before they lost a big portion of the Big Ten package. Before Fox got into the game and launched FS1 and locked down the Pac12 and part of the Big Ten, ESPN was pretty much it other than the SEC on CBS and Notre Dame on NBC which was 2 games a week max.

espn still airs some pac 12 games, but yeah, fox really cut into them

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And the Pac-12 really undercut themselves by selling almost all their games instead of putting them on their own network. Although they also got A LOT of money to do that so I guess it wasn't really undercutting.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Rick posted:

And the Pac-12 really undercut themselves by selling almost all their games instead of putting them on their own network. Although they also got A LOT of money to do that so I guess it wasn't really undercutting.
The Pac-12 Network was still tightly wound with the Liberty Media/FOX Sports umbrella before even that became unraveled and even more splintered (see: FOX Sports San Diego) in recent years.
Pac-12 didn't really lose much other than USC games showing up less on ABC/ESPN other than USC vs Norte Dame which is defacto NBC territory.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1050025968759435264?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

The network has been kind of a disaster so far though because they got in after the big boom and tried to keep it all in house instead of partnering with someone who could give them more leverage with cable providers. It's pretty hard to find a package with Pac-12 even in Southern California unless you want to buy the highest sports tier. Their schools are getting the least TV revenue of all the major conferences

That's cool, I thought she was good on the tournament coverage last year. I'd much rather listen to her than Barkley at this point

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Robnoxious posted:

The Pac-12 Network was still tightly wound with the Liberty Media/FOX Sports umbrella before even that became unraveled and even more splintered (see: FOX Sports San Diego) in recent years.
Pac-12 didn't really lose much other than USC games showing up less on ABC/ESPN other than USC vs Norte Dame which is defacto NBC territory.

and P12N still isn't on DirecTV

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

The network has been kind of a disaster so far though because they got in after the big boom and tried to keep it all in house instead of partnering with someone who could give them more leverage with cable providers. It's pretty hard to find a package with Pac-12 even in Southern California unless you want to buy the highest sports tier. Their schools are getting the least TV revenue of all the major conferences

That's cool, I thought she was good on the tournament coverage last year. I'd much rather listen to her than Barkley at this point

It absolutely is a disaster. But the 3 billion they got from Fox kind of offsets that disaster. I think if they were having major games on the network it would be easier for them to break into homes just based off of viewer demand, but I'm not sure the revenue from that would add up to 3 billion.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

and P12N still isn't on DirecTV

i heard that was the case even after the change in ownership

at&t has another cable service that does carry them

speaking of at&t

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1050060912235896832?s=21

i always thought it stuck out that tnt only had that for golf

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

This is good. If only that lovely deal between the USGA and FOX could end too. Good lord is their coverage bad, even if the shot tracker they've pioneered is good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

It absolutely is a disaster. But the 3 billion they got from Fox kind of offsets that disaster. I think if they were having major games on the network it would be easier for them to break into homes just based off of viewer demand, but I'm not sure the revenue from that would add up to 3 billion.

Well sure but other conferences have been able to do both. No one is putting their best games on the conference networks, it's just been a way to make way more money and get more exposure for stuff that used to get shunted off to local or regional stations

Vertical Lime posted:

i heard that was the case even after the change in ownership

at&t has another cable service that does carry them

speaking of at&t

UVerse has the Pac-12 Network, it but it seems like AT&T has been steadily trying to push old UVerse customers toward DirecTV since the merger

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s dumb that Basketball: A Love Story is on the ESPN app but not the WatchESPN app, which is the only one I can get on PS4 and which still has the OJ doc. Guess I’m watching all 20 hours of this on an iPad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Well sure but other conferences have been able to do both. No one is putting their best games on the conference networks, it's just been a way to make way more money and get more exposure for stuff that used to get shunted off to local or regional stations

UVerse has the Pac-12 Network, it but it seems like AT&T has been steadily trying to push old UVerse customers toward DirecTV since the merger

I know there was some thought the DirecTV/Pac-12 standoff would end with the AT&T purchase but it looks like it's not going to happen this year at least, but if that happens, that might help at least a little.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1050407672841932805

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess that is where Jerry Crasnick’s salary is going

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that mean we now get Passbombs?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I get the Pac-12 network here on the sports entertainment package (which you have to sign up for to get RedZone). It's like $5/month and I'm in Chicago. Always thought it was weird that it was offered but I'm not complaining since RedZone is a must.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

it's that time again

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1050854343262564352

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

amazing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's probably his best work yet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's her look of utter abject defeat that sells it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol why is Papi the best thing ESPN has to offer

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

lol why is Mina Kimes the best thing ESPN has to offer

FTFY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anything adjacent to Dan is cool and good

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Anything adjacent to Dan is cool and good

(Your mileage may vary regarding Sarah Spain, though)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

(Your mileage may vary regarding Sarah Spain, though)

She's good.

The HQ extended family gradually taking over all the dumb talking head shows is cool. Give Mina and Katie Nolan PTI

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I don't mind Spain on other shows I hear in passing but as an OG lebatard show listener she is probably the worst guest host. She just gets too competitive and into putting Stu down and doesn't really roll with the chaos the way the other guest hosts know how to do.

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 13, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

She's good

She's good.

The HQ extended family gradually taking over all the dumb talking head shows is cool. Give Mina and Katie Nolan PTI

Sarah is really cool, and a friend to all the dogs. And a good tailgate buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Katie and Mina are great because they’re self aware. Sarah Spain is not, in any way.