Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

evilweasel posted:

I don't know that Hillary would appoint someone more liberal - though I expect she would, after all Bill's picks were pretty solid as well - but she'd appoint someone who would keep the seat longer. I mean, remember - Clarence Thomas is the same age as Alito and will leave at the same time, except they were appointed by two different Bushes. You get a lot of mileage out of nominating someone younger.

Just to bolster this. Clarence Thomas is only 4 years older than Garland... but Thomas has been influencing SCOTUS for 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

1. He doesn't really raise the pressure on the GOP to actually confirm him as more as Sri would

His name was publicly floated by Orrin Hatch, the most senior republican on the senate judiciary committee as an acceptable candidate.

If he is blocked it helps every Democrat in a senate race by making the Republicans look like idiots. If he isn't blocked the Republicans still look like idiots and he's better than Scalia.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

hobbesmaster posted:

His name was publicly floated by Orrin Hatch, the most senior republican on the senate judiciary committee as an acceptable candidate.

Hatch isn't running and isn't beatable even if he was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Then he'll get ignored until Trump can nominate a replacement.

Or the Senate rushes to confirm him with all of the Democrats and enough of the not-in-Trump's-camp Republicans, which should be enough to break a filibuster, to block a Trump nomination.

I agree he's not at all an ideal pick, though, given that my money's still on Clinton to take the general.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I view that more as a temporary embarrassment than a useful way of making senators start getting nervous about the political repercussions. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wait we have it all wrong

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153555432692199&id=200401352198

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes.

Wax Dynasty posted:

liberal vote

Nnno.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

I view that more as a temporary embarrassment than a useful way of making senators start getting nervous about the political repercussions. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

There is no escaping the optics of 'these assholes already refusing to do their job now won't even have a hearing on a guy one of their most respected peers said 'yea he's a good dude' about. It's not like these guys were in the good graces with a lot of people before.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
McConnell just said no vote, again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

"I just nominated the only guy they said was acceptable. This just proves that Republican senators have no intention of governing this country"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Or the Senate rushes to confirm him with all of the Democrats and enough of the not-in-Trump's-camp Republicans, which should be enough to break a filibuster, to block a Trump nomination.

I agree he's not at all an ideal pick, though, given that my money's still on Clinton to take the general.
I don't think Senate Republicans have any real fear of who a Trump nominee would be. Certainly not enough to appoint an Obama nominee instead - at worst, a Trump nominee is a Kennedy-like person who isn't doctrinaire conservative. Most of the Senate hate for Trump right now is the (legitimate) fear he'll bomb in the election so hard it affects their races.

I doubt Trump much cares about the Supreme Court, and they'd probably figure they could tell him who to nominate and he'd be like sure, whatever. If he did nominate someone bad, they can always torpedo him like they did with Meiers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Of course he did. He's Mitch McConnell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

"I just nominated the only guy they said was acceptable. This just proves that Republican senators have no intention of governing this country"

Lets see if the electorate actually punishes them for it. I'm not holding my breath.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Lets see if the electorate actually punishes them for it. I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think "lol nothing matters" will extend from Trump to congressional campaigns but if it does we're hosed anyways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

Oh look that thing we expected to happened happened, and now in a few days he'll remove his name from the options I bet and we get a fresh session of 'why the gently caress won't you do your jobs'

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

I don't think Senate Republicans have any real fear of who a Trump nominee would be. Certainly not enough to appoint an Obama nominee instead - at worst, a Trump nominee is a Kennedy-like person who isn't doctrinaire conservative. Most of the Senate hate for Trump right now is the (legitimate) fear he'll bomb in the election so hard it affects their races.

I doubt Trump much cares about the Supreme Court, and they'd probably figure they could tell him who to nominate and he'd be like sure, whatever. If he did nominate someone bad, they can always torpedo him like they did with Meiers.

We already know who Trump nominates

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There is no escaping the optics of 'these assholes already refusing to do their job now won't even have a hearing on a guy one of their most respected peers said 'yea he's a good dude' about. It's not like these guys were in the good graces with a lot of people before.

They all voted to confirm Sri to his current seat three years ago. Like I said, at best he's a wash on that front - except he's an old white guy instead of an Indian immigrant.

edit: To be clear, I don't think he makes it significantly harder - just that he offers no advantages on that front better candidates couldn't match.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

If I were Obama I'd go on TV tonight and say exactly this. GOP favorability is trending downward, really drive the stake in.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Sri was unanimously approved like three years ago and would galvanize portions of the electorate more than an old white guy. Age s incredibly important: given the importance of Supreme Court justices, you want as many years out of the ones you appoint as possible. Garland's age means that the coming liberal majority is at risk a decade earlier than someone a decade younger.

As for that he's not ideal - I mean, he's a compromise moderate. He'll be just as good as anyone else for five years but once the current mess is rolled back he'll be the liberal O'Connor or Kennedy, being the swing vote that blocks further movement beyond a point.

I disagree about Sri. Given the current state of the Republican party, being a minority is more important than his previous confirmation. Confirming him would be rather difficult during the election, as it just gives the crazies more ammunition that the minorities are taking over "their" country.

Opposing a bland centrist white guy is way harder for them.

Obama's choice seems to be about preserving the confirmation process and not about ideology. He genuinely does't want stonewalling SC picks to become the norm so he's gone as non-controversial as he can. Obama has never been an in-your-face ideologue about anything, so this is right in line with his MO.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was hoping for Gary Busey or Dennis Rodman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

They all voted to confirm Sri to his current seat three years ago. Like I said, at best he's a wash on that front - except he's an old white guy instead of an Indian immigrant.

ok so when Sri gets the real nod won't you have people playing the 'he's not liberal enough' card too because he defended corporations and that's apparently a sign of a secret neocon too?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Any word on where Garland might fall on Citizens United?

As I understand it, most of his moderate record comes from his rulings on criminal issues. While those things are important to me, there are other issues that are more important to me.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Pollyanna posted:

Yes.

Nnno.

Yes, he is, in fact, liberal.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
PPP throwing some shade on Toomey's nonsense tweet.

https://twitter.com/SenToomey/status/710127298779942912
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/710132611046379521

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

ok so when Sri gets the real nod won't you have people playing the 'he's not liberal enough' card too because he defended corporations and that's apparently a sign of a secret neocon too?

I am not interested in wrong things that stupid people might say. I view Sri as ideologically pretty similar to Garland - they're both relative moderates, but a relative moderate is fine. I'd prefer a liberal, but any moderate will make vast, vast improvements to the country.

I don't think Garland is bad, I just think he's inferior to other nominees under every circumstance. If he gets confirmed before the election, I'll be happy. But I think he's got no better shot than Sri, and would be worse than Kelly (who would be a great Hillary nominee with a friendly senate).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If this scumbag loses his seat because of this it will make me happy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

... sorry, all I could think of.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

evilweasel posted:

I am not interested in wrong things that stupid people might say. I view Sri as ideologically pretty similar to Garland - they're both relative moderates, but a relative moderate is fine. I'd prefer a liberal, but any moderate will make vast, vast improvements to the country.

I don't think Garland is bad, I just think he's inferior to other nominees under every circumstance. If he gets confirmed before the election, I'll be happy. But I think he's got no better shot than Sri, and would be worse than Kelly (who would be a great Hillary nominee with a friendly senate).

Disregarding the very small likelihood it happens, if the Republican Senate were to give a straight up/down vote and reject a nominee, do you feel that candidate is essentially prevented from being nominated again?

I don't actually think they will end up holding hearings, I think they hold out. But it is worth considering that you don't want to 'burn' a nominee by letting them get voted down. Garland is a much better sacrifice.

Edit: Although, I agree that is probably the only area in which he is 'best.'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Capt. Sticl posted:

Disregarding the very small likelihood it happens, if the Republican Senate were to give a straight up/down vote and reject a nominee, do you feel that candidate is essentially prevented from being nominated again?

I don't actually think they will end up holding hearings, I think they hold out. But it is worth considering that you don't want to 'burn' a nominee by letting them get voted down. Garland is a much better sacrifice.

Only if the Senate managed to find a disqualifying personal reason to reject them. If they get painted as Bork-level crazy, maybe - but I doubt that Republicans could pull that off. If there's no basis besides "gently caress you, we won't let you nominate someone" then I think there's no risk in nominating them again - but that would be a pretty unique situation that I'm not sure has happened in the modern era.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

... sorry, all I could think of.

I did too, although I've been playing through FF9 so I thought about this guy first:

^an underused secondary villain, that one is

evilweasel posted:

Exactly. It's important to remember that it's only going to take a relatively small shift in the balance of SCOTUS to make a profound difference. Moderate or liberal, they're still going to be 100% more liberal than Scalia was.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think Garland is being used as a sacrifice option, he's better than the republican to be in the 'well just in case he gets in he won't be BAD' slot, but I think Garland just exists in this process to make the republicans turn down a white dude who got support from a senior republican leader. Once he's done Sri will probably be the guy anyway.

\/\/\/ That's kind of my thinking as well. The fact that he's basically the single highest-ranking judge in the U.S. that's not on SCOTUS already means that if he is denied a hearing, Obama has a maximum amount of political hay to make of it.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 16, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

Fair, I obviously misunderstood you then.

I think Garland is being used as a sacrifice option, he's better than the republican to be in the 'well just in case he gets in he won't be BAD' slot, but I think Garland just exists in this process to make the republicans turn down a white dude who got support from a senior republican leader. Once he's done Sri will probably be the guy anyway.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Only if the Senate managed to find a disqualifying personal reason to reject them. If they get painted as Bork-level crazy, maybe - but I doubt that Republicans could pull that off. If there's no basis besides "gently caress you, we won't let you nominate someone" then I think there's no risk in nominating them again - but that would be a pretty unique situation that I'm not sure has happened in the modern era.

The nearest situation I can find is Thomas Stanley Matthews in 1881, which is not the modern era.

quote:

In January 1881, President Rutherford B. Hayes nominated Matthews for a position as an Associate Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court. Matthews was a controversial nominee, and as the nomination came near the end of Hayes's term, the Senate did not act on it. Upon succeeding Hayes, incoming President James A. Garfield renominated Matthews in March 1881,[2] and the Senate confirmed him by a vote of 24 to 23, the narrowest confirmation for a successful U.S. Supreme Court nominee in history.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Fair, I obviously misunderstood you then.

Yeah, my fear is that by simply never scheduling a vote, they then have the option of scheduling one the day after the election if Hillary wins to block Sri from getting nominated. If Garland will withdraw at that point, great. But otherwise the risk is that there's a good chance that the Republicans can delay until after the election, then pocket the compromise nominee anyway even if they lose the Presidency and the Senate.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Heh

quote:

"The President told me several times he’s going to name a moderate [to fill the court vacancy], but I don’t believe him," Hatch told us.

"[Obama] could easily name Merrick Garland, who is a fine man," he told us, referring to the more centrist chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia who was considered and passed over for the two previous high court vacancies.

But, Hatch quickly added, "He probably won’t do that because this appointment is about the election. So I’m pretty sure he’ll name someone the [liberal Democratic base] wants."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/john-gizzi-orrin-hatch-obama-will-nominate/2016/03/13/id/718871/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grassley has confirmed he's still blocking any committee hearings.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/grassley-statement-merrick-garland

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

https://twitter.com/bridgetbhc/status/710133812483780608

Seems like this is the route they're taking.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Mark Kirk just broke ranks with McConnell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheAngryDrunk posted:

From now on, they’re going to call breaking ranks “ Mirkin’ ”.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

The insinuation is that Obama was elected by minorities and young people, who don't really count as people. Let's have a SCOTUS nomination by someone who reflects the will of REAL Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Of course he did. He's facing off against Tammy Duckworth in November and he's in one of the most vulnerable seats.