Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is such a thing as a stunt horse that is trained to take falls like that relatively safely.

I know that's a possibility, but if Michael Cimino was blowing horses up in order to get the right effect in the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised if David Lean wasn't entirely scrupulous about his horse stunts. However, I don't really have much in the way of definite information on it.
lovely screenshot, but in the left you can see a horse falling backwards out of a train onto its spine.

He's not a horse, but apparently the film was pretty rough on Peter O'Toole as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Testekill posted:

Todd posted a new video on the hills by the Weeknd but it got taken down with a DMCA in less than ten minutes.

Really sucks to see Todd in this position. It has to be embarrassing for him.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

rujasu posted:

Really sucks to see Todd in this position. It has to be embarrassing for him.

I wonder if he can post a muted video-- then post the mp3 with the track on a non-Youtube site (chez, when it comes back up?). People can synch it up RiffTrax style-- he can monetize the Youtube video-- and it'd be easy on the Chez bandwidth.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Say, has anyone in the reviewerverse taken a stab at this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344843/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Midget vampires. Tagline: "Three feet tall. Two inch fangs"

It's gotta be great.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Attention everyone, I'm happy to announce that SF Debris is officially back in business: https://sfdebris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Chimera-gui posted:

Attention everyone, I'm happy to announce that SF Debris is officially back in business: https://sfdebris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

Huzzah. Amusingly enough I just started the Foundation novels right as he began reviewing them and it's been hard to keep myself from listening to his critique before reading the appropriate books beforehand.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tracula posted:

To go back to RLM again one of my absolute favorite things about them over them TGWTG veterans is I believe most of them have said they never even really watched MST3K while growing up. I just sort of appreciate them doing their own memes and bullshit when reviewing movies that MST3K might have covered rather than just aping what someone else did before them.
It even came up in the latest BotW: they didn't find out until after watching Future War that MST3k had covered it.

Robert Denby posted:

The four minutes of black screen with music is a holdover from the ‘roadshow’ days. If you see “Lawrence of Arabia” (or any roadshow movie really) in a theater, the overture plays at or a couple minutes before the start time while the house lights are still up, kind of like a play. At the end of the overture, the house lights dim, and the curtains open for the Columbia logo. There's also music at the end of the intermission to prompt people that the movie is starting back in a few minutes. These elements work awkwardly on home video but since its technically part of the film, it gets included if you watch something like "2001", "West Side Story", "Ben-Hur", "Spartacus", et al on home video. Funny story; when the fully-restored version of "Lawrence" first came out on home video in 1990, rental places had people returning the film thinking there was something wrong with it because of this.
One of the biggest surprises in my Netflix-watching was discovering that Star Trek: The Motion Picture of all things had an overture.

Sometimes I wish movies still had intermissions. It'd be a lot easier to commit to seeing a longer movie if I had a guaranteed bathroom/snack break in the middle. I still remember my friend's account of going to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. During the scene where everybody's riding barrels down the rapids, my friend got up, used the bathroom, got a drink, had a chat with an usher, went back to the theater, and it was still the same scene.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Intermissions definitely have a place. If a movie is over 3 hours long, it probably needs one. I've never seen a movie with an intermission in theatres, but I can imagine that if I did, it'd be nice to go to the toilet, have a drink, and maybe talk to the friend you've come with about the movie so far.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Infamous Sphere posted:

Intermissions definitely have a place. If a movie is over 3 hours long, it probably needs one. I've never seen a movie with an intermission in theatres, but I can imagine that if I did, it'd be nice to go to the toilet, have a drink, and maybe talk to the friend you've come with about the movie so far.

I saw a reshowing of Godfather II in theaters and they (Marcus Theaters) loving cut out the intermission. I was loving pissed. I'm usually good about sitting through an entire movie but goddamn it I had to get up in the second half at one point to take a piss because it was just too much.

Edit: I will say that I -loved- seeing Seven Samurai on the AMC Silver Screen and they gave everyone a 10-15 minute intermission to do what they needed.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 27, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I finished watching the NC Fury Road review and there was a single line that actually made me chuckle:

"[my manly thing] is making rants online, I have 2 subscribers! Its these 2 guys"

But really, 26 minutes to say "It's a Road Runner cartoon" :geno:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Weirdly enough though, while the version on Netflix includes the four minutes at the start, there's no intertitle indicating an intermission. So the movie was still 3 hrs 40 *without* the intermission title and interlude built in.
That’s very odd. Here's where the intermission is supposed to go.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I know that's a possibility, but if Michael Cimino was blowing horses up in order to get the right effect in the 80s, I wouldn't be surprised if David Lean wasn't entirely scrupulous about his horse stunts. However, I don't really have much in the way of definite information on it.
lovely screenshot, but in the left you can see a horse falling backwards out of a train onto its spine.

Since "Lawrence" was a primarily British production, there was probably a bit more care to ensure that the animals were safe (by 1962 standards at least). The UK has always been extremely stringent about animal cruelty in film, to the point where if they find out a production used tripwries to knock horses over, those shots are removed from all UK prints (the most recent movie I can think of this happening in is "House of Flying Daggers"; it also happened to "Reds" and "Rambo 3").

"Heaven's Gate" was a different matter. The book "Final Cut" goes into some detail about how reporters found out about the rampant animal cruelty on the set of that film (including actual cockfighting) and it caused a pretty big outrage in Hollywood that forced a lot of changes in the treatment of animals on sets. That movie is the reason for the Humane Society's 'No Animals Were Harmed In The Making Of This Motion Picture' disclaimer.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can only imagine this would be a pretty shonky movie to watch on VHS though, especially once the grain obliterated some of those smaller details.
I recently got a pre-restoration laserdisc of the film so that a friend could use it as a teaching tool. It presents the movie in pan and scan and makes it drat near incomprehensible in parts. My favorite bit is the shot of Lawrence blowing out the match.
Here's a screengrab from the scene on YouTube:

And here's what it looks like in pan and scan:

Keromaru5 posted:

One of the biggest surprises in my Netflix-watching was discovering that Star Trek: The Motion Picture of all things had an overture.
That and "The Black Hole" were the last two movies to have that IIRC.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Lawrence of Arabia stuff

Thanks so much for your super detailed response!

Just as an aside - are you merely interested in film, or do you teach it/work with film in some capacity?

I'm glad to hear that the animals were probably treated relatively well - I did assume that nothing notoriously horrible would have happened, or I would have found it when doing my research. I read that Cimino specifically banned animal welfare people from his set, to avoid the scrutiny.

Oh my, that pan and scan is absolutely terrible :p I mean, the way the shots are set up really takes advantage of that wider screen real estate, so it'd be horrible shrunk down. I'm very, VERY glad I didn't see it on VHS. While I'm not completely sure how I feel about the film, I was in a cinema today and thought about Lawrence, and how the film really must come alive in a movie theatre in a way that it doesn't when you're sitting on your bed and watching it on Netflix with a pair of crap speakers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

New Previously Recorded, in which Jack and Rich completely miss the point of MGSV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So do they ever not miss the points of games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Them playing games is a patron tier thing, right?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So do they ever not miss the points of games?

They were 100% on point as far as The Banner Saga goes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

New Previously Recorded, in which Jack and Rich completely miss the point of MGSV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg

Some people just don't get certain games. For me, games like FTL and Darkest Dungeons just baffle me at how anyone can enjoy them. They're gambling games. You win or lose based off of random chance and it tricks you into being satisfied because winning at a slot machine is satisfying despite playing it and ending in failure tons of times before. But people each that poo poo up, so I've mellowed out on those two's opinions no matter how weird they may be.

I'm surprised so many people dislike MGSV's opening. It's at least interesting enough to go through and it sets up the rest of the game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'm surprised so many people dislike MGSV's opening. It's at least interesting enough to go through and it sets up the rest of the game.

MGSV's opening is a slog, but it's a million times better if you play through Ground Zeroes and then immediately start Phantom Pain. It feels like a wicked James Bond opening gambit preceding the slow story setup part; very Skyfall, specifically. It's pretty clearly how MSGV was meant to be experienced, and IIRC originally Ground Zeroes was going to be the opening sequence to TPP, but production was taking so long Konami said "gently caress it, just sell the opening sequence as its own game to buy us time".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jimbot posted:

Some people just don't get certain games. For me, games like FTL and Darkest Dungeons just baffle me at how anyone can enjoy them. They're gambling games. You win or lose based off of random chance and it tricks you into being satisfied because winning at a slot machine is satisfying despite playing it and ending in failure tons of times before. But people each that poo poo up, so I've mellowed out on those two's opinions no matter how weird they may be.

That's more true of bad rogulikes like The Swindle. The part you're missing is the sequential nature of the games. It's not like a slot machine where you pull a lever and win or lose. The action you take at some time does have some random chance to be good or bad, but the point of the games is to select the right action that mitigates the most risk, and allows you to better mitigate risk in the future. Roguelikes are more or less perfect illustrations of the concept of a Markov Decision Process. In Darkest Dungeon, I think the trap people fall into is they don't run away. That game is all about abandoning adventures and firing party members when things get too dicey or troublesome. FTL is a bit more capricious, but I've absolutely seen really good players go on huge win streaks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

I'm surprised so many people dislike MGSV's opening.

They don't as far as I know, that's usually one of the high points for like everyone.

Haven't watched, but I'll assume Jack whined about a game having a story actually presented. I love Rich more often than not, but boy is Jack just a no-fun-allowed broken record too often at times.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 27, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jsor posted:

That's more true of bad rogulikes like The Swindle. The part you're missing is the sequential nature of the games. It's not like a slot machine where you pull a lever and win or lose. The action you take at some time does have some random chance to be good or bad, but the point of the games is to select the right action that mitigates the most risk, and allows you to better mitigate risk in the future. Roguelikes are more or less perfect illustrations of the concept of a Markov Decision Process. In Darkest Dungeon, I think the trap people fall into is they don't run away. That game is all about abandoning adventures and firing party members when things get too dicey or troublesome. FTL is a bit more capricious, but I've absolutely seen really good players go on huge win streaks.

I get what you are saying but in the case of Darkest Dungeon, at least, the best action aside from running away rarely mitigates anything. Every time I accomplished something I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment or victory, it felt like the RNG glitched out and give me a good roll. It was hollow and I didn't like it. FTL isn't as bad because it's not as brutal and it seems like things ramp up slower. My issue was the end-game where you fight an insanely powerful ship and your victory is determined by what you got during your play. Games like MGSV, for all its faults (and there are many), at least feel like when you formulate a plan and play-style then nail its execution, you feel a sense of accomplishment.

But that's just for me. I'm not saying people are aliens for liking those games, it's just that I, personally, cannot see the appeal to them.

Yardbomb posted:

They don't as far as I know, that's usually one of the high points for like everyone.

Haven't watched, but I'll assume Jack whined about a game having a story actually presented. I love Rich more often than not, but boy is Jack just a no-fun-allowed broken record too often at times.

Funny enough, that was Jack's criticism. Wasn't a compelling story to continue the repetition. Complained about lack of enemy variety (used the first Super Mario Bros as a contrast, which was baffling). Rich tried to argue the repetition was off-set by the sheer number of ways you can go about a mission with all the equipment you could get.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Thanks so much for your super detailed response!

Just as an aside - are you merely interested in film, or do you teach it/work with film in some capacity?
I'm in a graduate program about film preservation and archiving, but I also know a lot about filmmaking and "Lawrence of Arabia" is one I read everything I could about at one point so that knowledge has stuck around.

Infamous Sphere posted:

While I'm not completely sure how I feel about the film, I was in a cinema today and thought about Lawrence, and how the film really must come alive in a movie theatre in a way that it doesn't when you're sitting on your bed and watching it on Netflix with a pair of crap speakers.
Since I live near NYC, as often as I can I try to see interesting repertory films on the big screen because of just how different that can be from watching something at home, even on a good TV and sound set-up. Having seen "Lawrence" on a big screen, then shortly thereafter on Blu-Ray I will say that it's something of a different experience. On a big screen those sweeping vistas really come alive, and the sharpness of the 70mm image gives it a visceral 'you are there' feeling. On Blu-Ray some of that is lost, but you get to focus more on the performances and drama, which definitely hold the film together. I think it holds up better on a TV than say "2001", where the point of seeing it on a big screen -and especially in 70mm- is that it basically engulfs you into the movie's weird, trippy headspace (even when stone-cold sober), and gives you a much greater awareness of the environments and the staggering amount of detail that went into the design.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

The Horse in Tears posted:

The NC Fury Road review sounds a lot like the Matrix review, which is where I finally gave up on the show. They kept on whining that "everyone thinks it's so smart" while saying squat to counter that. It was just a strawman that let them rag on the movie with the same kind of jokes they always make.

Compare that to whenever Anime Abandon does a popular and acclaimed anime. It's also a riff/recap show focussed on lovely 80s and 90s stuff, but Bennett and Marc know when to step up their game and present an actual critical argument. Meanwhile Doug and Rob sound like they're filling out a 1000-word essay from one half-formed sentence.

It's actually not that bad an adaptation of Fury Road. A mostly dumb protagonist being carried by a stronger, more charismatic woman who ends up making the most salient points.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

How is that opening scene a high point in any sense? You crawl through the level at an agonising pace while watching a bunch of cutscenes where civilians get mowed down repeatedly for an hour and get maybe 5 minutes where actual important stuff happens.

I've never played Metal Gear outside of the start of 2, but MGSV look cool enough that I was willing to try again and I nearly just stopped playing MGSV because of how horrendously long that prologue went on for. It took one hour to get out of a hospital and you spend very little of that hour actually doing anything other than watch cutscenes that could've been condensed into 10 minutes and have the same effect. There is no justifiable reason the prologue should've went on that long, because very little of importance actually happened in it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Asuron posted:

How is that opening scene a high point in any sense? There is no justifiable reason the prologue should've went on that long, because very little of importance actually happened in it.

It was rad and that is all that matters, full justification right there. The best parts of MGS are often big scenes where crazy poo poo happens.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 27, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Metal Gear Solid 5 is a ripoff of Kingdom Hearts 2.

In that they both have long divisive prologues and nothing else

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

It was rad and that is all that matters, full justification right there. The best parts of MGS are often big scenes where crazy poo poo happens.

ahh yes the crazy poo poo of slowly crawling through a hospital, followed up by slowly walking through a hospital and frequently stopping to watch a cutscene where civilians get shot down.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I sure enjoyed the part where they bemoaned the stealth system for being too easy after their review of Alien Isolation, on which they bemoaned not being able to stealth properly from just using audio and visual cues at hands of a non-combat proficient engineer person instead of Big Boss The Bestest Soldier that Has Ever Bested and for not having a light gem embedded on her face and got the cinematic feedback from Mike Stoklasa popping in the room for a minute and two, saying "videogames!" and going somewhere to find something else to be emotionless at.

Also I'm just going to point at their love of Paul Verhoeven flicks for their "Grrr! You can't both do silly and wacky things and address serious stuff on the same media" point. Their point about Quiet is resonant with that of a human creature, so I can't pin that as a negative.

I'm kinda dreading them doing a review of UnderTale in the future.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 27, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Asuron posted:

ahh yes the crazy poo poo of slowly crawling through a hospital, followed up by slowly walking through a hospital and frequently stopping to watch a cutscene where civilians get shot down.

So did you miss the Man on Fire, kid Mantis, the obvious weird things going on with Ishmael, a flying hell unicorn rode by the Man on Fire, kid Mantis slaughtering guys with a helicopter propeller, a volcanic whale leaping the hills of Cyprus to swallow a chopper and probably another good bit?

Cause I thought those would be hard to miss :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 27, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Kunster posted:

I'm kinda dreading them doing a review of UnderTale in the future.

You just know they're going to call it the death of an art form because they killed everyone since they couldn't figure out how to Spare dudes,which they would claim is the game railroading them. "It's never our fault, no sirree!" :smuggo:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

So did you miss the Man on Fire, kid Mantis, the obvious weird things going on witn Ishmael, a flying hell unicorn rode by Man on Fire, kid Mantis slaughtering guys with a helicopter propeller, a flaming whale leaping the hills of Cyprus to swallow a chopper and probably another good bit?

Cause I thought those would be hard to miss :v:

You mean the last 5 minutes where stuff actually happens? Which is what I said?

10 minutes would've been enough to do all that . The rest of the hour you spend moving agonisingly slow through the hospital accomplishing very little for no reason.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"ungh, hellloo???? I can play a rpg. why are you making me transverse this forced tutorial session with some stupid protective bored old furry. i know how to videogame. and I'll have you know, you can't expect me to like your game with characters that talk in different typesets."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The intro to MGS5 does run a little too long, but I think it serves as a decent introduction to the game and its controls if you skipped Ground Zeroes. Sure, crawling around in the beginning is slow, but it makes sense since you've been in a coma for nine years. It's also possible to fail in certain spots if you're not paying attention.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5 is a ripoff of Kingdom Hearts 2.

In that they both have long divisive prologues and nothing else

I would argue that Kingdom Hearts 2 is more like an inverted MGS2.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kunster posted:

"ungh, hellloo???? I can play a rpg. why are you making me transverse this forced tutorial session with some stupid protective bored old furry. i know how to videogame. and I'll have you know, you can't expect me to like your game with characters that talk in different typesets."

Tutorial? It doesn't even teach you anything the game doesn't immediately tell you afterwards when you actually get to Afghanistan. It effectively teaches you nothing and all the important plot stuff is right at the start and right at the end, with about 50 minutes in between of faffing about doing nothing. I mean even the shooting tutorial stuff is right at the end, so you can't even give it the excuse of teaching you during the middle section. It is literally filler.

I'm fine with prologues going for a while if they're actually teaching you something or is important enough to the story to warrant the length ( I mean I sat through KH2's opening section which lasted longer than this and I'll easily criticise it for the drat same thing), but almost nothing happens during MGSV's prologue and it can be easily condensed and made better. I just don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Again, TPP's prologue is a lot more bearable if you play Ground Zeroes immediately beforehand.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

He's talkin about UnderTale

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Asuron posted:

Tutorial? It doesn't even teach you anything the game doesn't immediately tell you afterwards when you actually get to Afghanistan. It effectively teaches you nothing and all the important plot stuff is right at the start and right at the end, with about 50 minutes in between of faffing about doing nothing. I mean even the shooting tutorial stuff is right at the end, so you can't even give it the excuse of teaching you during the middle section. It is literally filler.

I'm fine with prologues going for a while if they're actually teaching you something or is important enough to the story to warrant the length ( I mean I sat through KH2's opening section which lasted longer than this and I'll easily criticise it for the drat same thing), but almost nothing happens during MGSV's prologue and it can be easily condensed and made better. I just don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

I apologize, the post was about Undertale, and MGSV talk got in the middle of the way :<

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Funny enough, that was Jack's criticism. Wasn't a compelling story to continue the repetition. Complained about lack of enemy variety (used the first Super Mario Bros as a contrast, which was baffling). Rich tried to argue the repetition was off-set by the sheer number of ways you can go about a mission with all the equipment you could get.

Honestly he just seemed angry about Magical Realism being a thing that exists. Like you can think MSG doesn't pull it off well, fine, but the critique seemed couched in terms of "it doesn't fit into my view of how genres should work" Like having a giant flaming whale is verboten in a realist military game because it violates nerd genre purity

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Honestly he just seemed angry about Magical Realism being a thing that exists. Like you can think MSG doesn't pull it off well, fine, but the critique seemed couched in terms of "it doesn't fit into my view of how genres should work" Like having a giant flaming whale is verboten in a realist military game because it violates nerd genre purity

The intro kind of sets the tone of the game too. Calling it tone-deaf is off the mark because it's not making light of something sensitive. There's some dark stuff going on in the intro and there is weird stuff going on too. So logically one would think that the game's story beats contain dark and weird things. Of all the bad poo poo Kojima writes, that intro isn't one of them. The doctor even says that you might hallucinate because you have a piece of metal stuck in your brain, so it wasn't completely out of left field to believe that you're character was making up this weird poo poo because something crazy was going on in the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Max Wilco posted:

I would argue that Kingdom Hearts 2 is more like an inverted MGS2.

You're right, and this frightens me on a deep level.

• Locked thread