Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

who knows maybe sanji has a tiny shred of big mom's vivi card on him which is why she does what she did/is doing

i mean poo poo the homies and i think? the buried husband of big mom said all that poo poo cuz of the the vivre card

the vivre card isn't magic(other than burning when someone's dying and pointing their location) it's a symbol of connection to big mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Elfgames posted:

the vivre card isn't magic(other than burning when someone's dying and pointing their location) it's a symbol of connection to big mom

I think the implication is vivre cards contain part of the person's soul, so the homies can't fight it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Elfgames posted:

I assume Ace's card burned because he was a fire man.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think Pudding is at heart good, but all the children fear getting on the badside of mama (or maybe they just love their mama and dont want to let her down??). I bet they're also threatened with the bomb cufflings, and instructed to spy on their spouses and their crews/army. Big Mom even knew jinbei was going to leave her crew, something he only mentioned to his sun pirates and alladin's wife.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

one piece is cool and great

this is a good opinion that is correct.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
guys wheres puddings slime monster thing shes gonna throw it back on her shoulder and be like 'tricked you bitch you're gonna cook for big mom FOREVER' or something like that

i do not want sanji to get married pudding is lame and i dont want her on the drat ship and as its been brought up that sanji 100% leaves the crew no matter what if they marry. there cant be no conditions poo poo this arc thats been foreshadowed and i just cant see this actually happening

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 5, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

this is a good opinion that is correct.

i thought it was pretty controversial imo

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

I think the implication is vivre cards contain part of the person's soul, so the homies can't fight it.

Pretty sure it's just that having a vivre card makes you basically a VIP The homies were probably given a standing order to obey anyone with a card (because it would mostly only be one of her kids that had them)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cloks posted:

What if Pudding's personality changes when her third eye is exposed? Oda loves Dragon Ball, I think he'd definitely put a character like Launch/Lunch in at some point.

then I would be glad that somebody remembered lunch

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Elfgames posted:

Pretty sure it's just that having a vivre card makes you basically a VIP The homies were probably given a standing order to obey anyone with a card (because it would mostly only be one of her kids that had them)

Nope.

It has a piece of Big Mom's soul, that's why it has power over them. And Cracker apparently doesn't have one of his own.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure he says that even Mama's children don't normally get one so they aren't immune to attack from things she's placed a soul in to.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Nope.

It has a piece of Big Mom's soul, that's why it has power over them. And Cracker apparently doesn't have one of his own.

I don't think that's supposed to be literal

like they can't go against orders to obey the cards holder even though it's an enemy,

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 6, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i cant get over how amazing crackers hair is

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure he says that even Mama's children don't normally get one so they aren't immune to attack from things she's placed a soul in to.

They don't get one because it would gently caress up the Homies' ability to fight if they were ever in a shared space.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So the vivre cards are horcruxes?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bisse posted:

So the vivre cards are horcruxes?

Don't think so in general, I mean Big Mom specifically has the ability to put souls in things.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Don't think so in general, I mean Big Mom specifically has the ability to put souls in things.

that then become anthropomorphised. Virve cards have no soul in them

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Vivre cards aren't very well explained so far. We don't even know how they're created. It's interesting to note that the WG doesn't seem to use them, at least on a large scale (an obvious use would be making one for every Impel Down prisoner, for example). I remember someone in ADTRW speculating that creating them involves ripping out a page from the Bible. That fits the name (V=B, L=R) and seems like the sort of superstition that might have been common among real-world pirates, and we know that there are Bibles in One Piece because Kuma carries one around, but it also seems a bit too overtly magical for One Piece and raises more questions than it answers. (Like, what is the One Piece Bible even about? Is the unnamed Autumn Island that comes after Arabasta the OPverse equivalent of Israel? How many followers does Kuma's religion have?)

So they may or may not have bits of the soul of the person they're keyed to.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 6, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
might just require the consent of the person you're making a card of

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I thought they were made out of fingernails. Sounds enough like something out of an old pirate myth

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I thought they were made out of fingernails. Sounds enough like something out of an old pirate myth

Yeah, I thought this too. Dunno where I got the idea, does Ace say it?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think Lola gives Nami a little more detail on them when she gives Nami Mama's vivre card.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silento posted:

Yeah, I thought this too. Dunno where I got the idea, does Ace say it?

Lola explains it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lola says "if you take your nail clipping to a certain shop, they'll mix it into a special sheet of paper for you."

So it'll be one person somewhere who is very picky about who they make vivre cards for. Basically only Emperors, and presumably will make one for Luffy. Wano seems likely, in lieu of any other upcoming locations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder is it a devil fruit power that's responsible in some way if only one person is making them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I wonder is it a devil fruit power that's responsible in some way if only one person is making them.

That explains it pretty well, then.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Vivre cards aren't very well explained so far. We don't even know how they're created. It's interesting to note that the WG doesn't seem to use them, at least on a large scale (an obvious use would be making one for every Impel Down prisoner, for example). I remember someone in ADTRW speculating that creating them involves ripping out a page from the Bible. That fits the name (V=B, L=R) and seems like the sort of superstition that might have been common among real-world pirates, and we know that there are Bibles in One Piece because Kuma carries one around, but it also seems a bit too overtly magical for One Piece and raises more questions than it answers. (Like, what is the One Piece Bible even about? Is the unnamed Autumn Island that comes after Arabasta the OPverse equivalent of Israel? How many followers does Kuma's religion have?)

So they may or may not have bits of the soul of the person they're keyed to.

I'm pretty sure the name is supposed to be a play on verve as the card can measure a person's vitality

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elfgames posted:

I'm pretty sure the name is supposed to be a play on verve as the card can measure a person's vitality

Yeah I always assumed that it responds to the vitality of the person who it belongs to. It is subtly attracted to that person, so you can use it as a locator, but it will fade as its owner's vitality fades. Someone mentioned that they thought Ace's burned because he was a fire man, but I'd say the odds are much higher it does that with everyone.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

tsob posted:

Bart had one made for the Straw Hat Armada, unless that person just happened to be on Dressrosa.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah I always assumed that it responds to the vitality of the person who it belongs to. It is subtly attracted to that person, so you can use it as a locator, but it will fade as its owner's vitality fades. Someone mentioned that they thought Ace's burned because he was a fire man, but I'd say the odds are much higher it does that with everyone.

Didn't Elder Nyon from Amazon Lily know what the burning up meant - that Ace was at death's door? I suppose he's famous enough that she would know he was a fire man, but that seems to really be reaching.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
It's like a waypoint marker and health meter all in one. gently caress if I know how it works though, maybe Vegapunk will explain that when he explains Devil Fruits.

Also this arc is good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

Didn't Elder Nyon from Amazon Lily know what the burning up meant - that Ace was at death's door? I suppose he's famous enough that she would know he was a fire man, but that seems to really be reaching.

The Vivre Cards burn when you're dying.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The Vivre Cards burn when you're dying.

supposedly they change shape to reflect your physical state so they might also grow back like a health meter when you recover

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Guys, I am just spit ballin' here but I think "vivre" comes from the verb "to live" so I am pretty sure it has to do with people's life.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
This isn't the worst conversation I've read about cartoon characters' v cards.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does the V in Arc V stand for eVolution or is it cause it's the 5th (is it the 5th) YGO franchise?

EDIT: But wait, the 4th franchise was 5D's....

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Elfgames posted:

supposedly they change shape to reflect your physical state so they might also grow back like a health meter when you recover

It definitely does this. Ace's vivre card restored itself to normal as soon as Luffy rescued him from the execution platform. Then it completely burned away once Ace got fisted by Akainu.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Does the V in Arc V stand for eVolution or is it cause it's the 5th (is it the 5th) YGO franchise?

I thought the 4th was Zexal.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Please stop talking about Yu-Gi-Oh in this good thread about One Piece, which is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's pronounced Arc-Five, so yes, the latter. Also the bad adaption of the pre-card game manga doesn't count, so Arc-V is the fifth. It's good!