Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/3UHqVwi.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this episode loses a lot of my support for the show. I'm not exactly sure where they are going at this point. Those flash-forwards at the beginning of the season apparently went nowhere, since Alexandria is basically gone, and now Carl is on death's door.

It's mind boggling how this show has gone in circles since last season. The first half of this season is ridiculously similar in a lot of ways to the first half of last season. Once again I have no idea what they are even doing with the Trashkru. Rick spent all of that time (again) convincing them to play ball, and then they run like hell as soon as they get shot at.

But the biggest stupidity is building up the whole 'Sanctuary is doomed' plotline for 7 episodes and then proceed to have the Saviors fix this unfixable problem offscreen. Not only that, but somehow they also have enough ammo to blast their way out, find that their vehicles are all still there, and then also manage to intercept the Hilltop convoy, and go after the other two towns in a matter of what, an hour? The Saviors must have recruited offscreen, since they seem to have unlimited goons with assault rifles ready to go.

The Oceanside plotline is also once again veering into stupid territory and I'm not sure what they are planning with that. The writers have to just be winging this at this point. How long are they going to continue this Negan battle? We are almost at 2 1/2 seasons of it.

I think a lot of people are going to drop the show after this. Everything with Negan has overstayed its welcome by now.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
this tv show was never much good. i liked the first few episodes of s01. you haven't all been entirely wasting your time though. i've always had fun watching furious goons redescribe the latest pants on head stupid season over the past ~4+ yrs.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 23, 2017

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I think it never righted itself after the infamous van flip.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hasselblad posted:

I think it never righted itself after the infamous van flip.

Was it the same episode that Rick had both the terrible and awesome moment of shooting that cop in the face and telling him to shut up?

Dude literally didn't do anything but shove someone over and run and was a useful hostage that was laid up and unable to run so I always thought that was both the darkest moment of the show and that it hilariously never realized it was the darkest moment of the show. Negan hasn't done poo poo that cold on camera.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Negan hasn't done poo poo that cold on camera.

I dunno, "look at the flowers" was pretty cold.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zane posted:

this tv show was never much good. i liked the first few episodes of s01. you haven't all been entirely wasting your time though. i've always had fun watching furious goons redescribe the latest pants on head stupid season over the past ~4+ yrs.

This show was dead to me the moment they killed T-Dog. RIP, he was the greatest.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel bad for T-Dog. His death kinda got passed over for Lori's.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
Not to mention the zombies didn't even finish their meal as far as T-Dog was concerned.
Lori meanwhile was eaten completely, bones hair and all. Think they even cleaned their plate afterward.

edit: That scene of Morgan making the jail that was infamous for holding Negan also seems patently pointless foreshadowing now. I would honestly call bullshit at this point if Negan was spared for a "WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU" moment after a Carl KO. I know it wasn't really an assassin sent from the Saviors or anything, but ultimately this is an unhinged individual screaming about how he'll kill him and his one big button which is "Don't gently caress with my family" has been consistently pushed and has had him spend his attention elsewhere. I mean they broke a ton of plot strings, but if that one stays then holy poo poo no.

Reivur fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 23, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Was it the same episode that Rick had both the terrible and awesome moment of shooting that cop in the face and telling him to shut up?

Dude literally didn't do anything but shove someone over and run and was a useful hostage that was laid up and unable to run so I always thought that was both the darkest moment of the show and that it hilariously never realized it was the darkest moment of the show. Negan hasn't done poo poo that cold on camera.

The hospital arc is when the show truly went off a cliff. There had been nonsensical or silly plots and boring padding before that but nothing was as outright dumb and lazy as Grady Memorial.

So we have a group of villains that drive around and hit people with their cars so they can nurse them back to health in order to make them... do laundry. They have a safe, clean, organized base and it seems there's plenty of supplies. They just have more laundry than they can handle. Now if you are wandering around in the apocalypse and someone offers to deal with all security, give you three squares a day and a clean bed to sleep in, in exchange for light cleaning duties - that's a great godadmn deal. There would be throngs of survivors banging on the doors to get in. Thing is, when Beth commits suicide Rick asks the people held at the hospital if they want to come with them and none of them do. So the writers acknowledge that people would want to be there but at the same time the cops are running people down and holding there against their will. wat

Ok so there's a rapecop and that's horrible. But then Beth kills him. Apparently it was just that guy. So problem solved? Then the only problem is the Boss Cop that has decided for no reason whatsoever to keep a couple of teenagers there at all cost - even though they already killed two of her henchmen cops. Why? Why does she give even the tiniest poo poo about Both and Noah? There's no reason. She's just insane. No plan, ideology, motives or anything - she's just a dick. Ok?

And I'll reiterate that there's no reason for Rick's group to move on after they see the setup at Grady Memorial. They had to take hostages to get in and then still end up in a Mexican standoff in a narrow hallway. At the prison someone drove a car through their gate, They snuck in and out of Woodbury at will. With all their experiences they should see Grady Memorial as some sort of amazing impenetable fortress. And apparently there's enough food to establish an economy based on laundry slaves. Now the bad cops are dead and even the laundry slaves seem to want to be there so why not just stay there. Maybe move into another tower. Nope they just walk away and spend the next season wandering aimlessly around alternately almost dying of thirst or being eaten

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/y3lE9cB.gifv

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BnadYbLIU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bates posted:

The hospital arc is when the show truly went off a cliff. There had been nonsensical or silly plots and boring padding before that but nothing was as outright dumb and lazy as Grady Memorial.

I think this might be a case of the delusion wearing off but season 2 had like 10 episodes of running in circles on a farm, dangle Glenn down the well, stupid-ninja zombies, surprise-ninja-hordes appearing on the highway, dead bodies in cars that weren't zombies and never mentioned again, etc. Season 3 has Michonne's "brain freeze when talking" phase, the Govenor's chicken poo poo A-Team assault, the same Gov wiping out the ENTIRE TOWN WITH ONE HAND, ONE GUN, ON ONE MAGAZINE with ONE EYE (lol), etc. Oh yeah an Andrea being too stupid to easily undo her restraints and just stab the zombie.

Maybe it's the fact we lost the only semi-reasonable characters on the show, Dale and Herschel (post bar scene, anyway) that makes it seem worse but it's ALWAYS been dumb as gently caress.

I guess it was at least a coherent kind of dumb though. Now it's incoherent as hell.

ED: Seriously remember season 3 of Michonne going around trashing Woodsbury due to meta knowledge for no reason, while Andrea sat around just saying how peachy-keen everything was? gently caress me season 3 got REAL stupid.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked the show more when it was a stupid soap opera instead of a terrible action movie that never ends.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m glad they fixed Michonne because her weird mute stuff was embarrassing

I do think that Negan will die on the show as opposed to how he is handled in the comics.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do think that Negan will die on the show as opposed to how he is handled in the comics.

Only because JDM is probably wanting to run screaming from this terrible mistake.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

Only because JDM is probably wanting to run screaming from this terrible mistake.

He should just lean until he is out of the camera frame for good.

He should die after swaggering a round and then leaning too far back, impaling himself on some rusty farm equipment.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rick will spare Negan only for him to get shot by Darryl by surprise.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

bobjr posted:

Rick will spare Negan only for him to get shot by Darryl by surprise.

Neegan dies at the hand of lil rear end kicker.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think this might be a case of the delusion wearing off but season 2 had like 10 episodes of running in circles on a farm, dangle Glenn down the well, stupid-ninja zombies, surprise-ninja-hordes appearing on the highway, dead bodies in cars that weren't zombies and never mentioned again, etc. Season 3 has Michonne's "brain freeze when talking" phase, the Govenor's chicken poo poo A-Team assault, the same Gov wiping out the ENTIRE TOWN WITH ONE HAND, ONE GUN, ON ONE MAGAZINE with ONE EYE (lol), etc. Oh yeah an Andrea being too stupid to easily undo her restraints and just stab the zombie.

Maybe it's the fact we lost the only semi-reasonable characters on the show, Dale and Herschel (post bar scene, anyway) that makes it seem worse but it's ALWAYS been dumb as gently caress.

I guess it was at least a coherent kind of dumb though. Now it's incoherent as hell.

ED: Seriously remember season 3 of Michonne going around trashing Woodsbury due to meta knowledge for no reason, while Andrea sat around just saying how peachy-keen everything was? gently caress me season 3 got REAL stupid.

S2 had the problem of 'we're doubling the number of eps, and slashing the budget!'. For all it's stupidity, the Shane and Otis going on a supply run part is actually really good. Plus it started the trend of 'oh poo poo they killed... uh, who was that again?! Whatever, I guess the stakes are high!'

For real, nobody important died assaulting Woodbury, of the flu, in the fall of the prison (Hershel aside), at Terminus, and now in the 'ALL OUT WAR'.

If Hershel were still around he would have just given Negan a solemn, disapproving look, shaken his head sadly, and the War would be over.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

This show was dead to me the moment they killed T-Dog. RIP, he was the greatest.

I have vague memories of T-Dog.

Like he was definitely a character on the show but after that it gets hazy.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I probably miss Hershell and Andrea the most.

edit: and Merle

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 26, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Merle. There was a guy that enjoyed being a dick without monologuing about it. Merle got poo poo done and had fun with it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

John F Bennett posted:

I probably miss Hershell and Andrea the most.

Hershel for me for sure.

I miss the earlier series where it felt more like a mystery and "about the zombies". While I enjoy the politics of the new ones what's going on just doesn't really make sense and now the world feels...broken. Like when Dr Who got the sonic screwdriver, now it doesn't feel as real and anything that happens feels more random.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish they'd do a flashback to the day before the season long attack where Rick is explaining the plan and everyone's asking him what if questions while Rick gets more and more angry

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish they'd do a flashback to the day before the season long attack where Rick is explaining the plan and everyone's asking him what if questions while Rick gets more and more angry

"What if... we ARE the walking..."
"..."
"Uh... What if we ARE Negan?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t understand why you would miss Andrea. Her dying in Season 3 was one of the few good spots.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
also Merle was a really badly written redneck stereotype (especially season 1’s awkward racism moment) and his only real cool scene was the way he went out.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand why you would miss Andrea. Her dying in Season 3 was one of the few good spots.

For realz. Like, by mid season I was halfway going: "How did they think someone this loud and stupid of the main cast was gonna draw viewers in?" But when she died by the end I was moreso like: "Welp, figures." even if it was silly in itself. I was legit worried she'd survive, just because she does so in the comics even though her character is vastly different, but her death legit fooled me into thinking the writers might not be all bad.

As it turns out, tho, the devil is always hidden in the details. And in this case it happens to be lazy and dumb.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 26, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Princeps32 posted:

also Merle was a really badly written redneck stereotype (especially season 1’s awkward racism moment) and his only real cool scene was the way he went out.

I'd say this scene of his is also easily one of my alltime favs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCqe_JzDTkc

It reminds me so drat much, that as sloppy as the writing could be even back then, at least there were scenes or moments like this, that can stand on their own just fine too. Nowadays, though, almost every goddamn scene I youtube at random of the latest season and half the time I have no loving clue as to what's going on.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 26, 2017

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I miss Milton a hell of a lot more than Andrea. He actually had potential. But the writers know better about which characters are best for viewers to care about.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hasselblad posted:

I miss Milton a hell of a lot more than Andrea. He actually had potential. But the writers know better about which characters are best for viewers to care about.

Yup. Milton was a more realistic Eugene. Plus a tiny bit cute.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Spinster posted:

Yup. Milton was a more realistic Eugene. Plus a tiny bit cute.

Merle and Milton were like the proto Abraham and Eugene. Big, brash tough guy looking out for the science weenie. But Milton actually seemed like he had real science background. Plus he was like the only guy that made himself pseudo defense-armor w/the duct tape sleeves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Milton had a wierd intro. Like at first I thought he was a creepy Dr. Mengele for The Governor doing obscene science experiments with the zombies, but then it turned out he was s really nice dude.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As bad as it still might be I'll always think the Governor coming back into power is a "so dumb it's entertaining" moment, especially when his old friend accepts him back as a subordinate only for the Governor to kill him immediately.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Didn't the governor got eaten by his baby or something like that? I completely forgot.

But I remember something about a zombaby he kept in a closet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bobjr posted:

As bad as it still might be I'll always think the Governor coming back into power is a "so dumb it's entertaining" moment, especially when his old friend accepts him back as a subordinate only for the Governor to kill him immediately.
Everything about that plot line was so dumb

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

Didn't the governor got eaten by his baby or something like that? I completely forgot.

I think Michonne stabs him and then he gets shot by a female subordinate.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Girl gets bitten at super safe River bend

Governor love interest/mom of kid takes bit girl and goes down to governor's work which is at the prison today

Governor looks at the bit kid and I think he shoots her so he can get back to work

She sees him cutting Hershel's head off and then getting owned when they even have a tank because Darryl is legolas

Rick and him fight for a bit and then Michonne stabs the governor in the chest

Love interest girl rolls up and shoots the gov in his other eye

She dies I guess while Rick walks away with a gunshot wound to the liver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I had forgotten, but that woman also survived and ran off somewhere. We never see her again, but somehow that one guy from Season 1 shows up in Season 8 just to get sniped by Darryl