Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Space Camp fuckup posted:

No one should poach from the Spurs because no one is ever as good as they are with the Spurs

Corey Joseph arguably looks better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

euphronius posted:

Well obv they're going to pnr him on to favorable switches

But he's going to guard whoever is guarding him in normal cases to prevent the need to cross switch on transition.

The Bucks prefer the cross switch since the other team has to scramble to find Giannis in transition. And since the Bucks always switch on D, they don't necessarily care who ends up on who in transition D. They will switch before the possession really gets going depending on where guys are.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

After looking like dogshit in Sacramento, Marco Belinelli is back at Spurs level Marco Belinelli

This warms my heart. I was a big Belly Nelly fan and totally got WhyteRyce bought in for 15 minutes before he found yet another new way to be disappointed by his team.

Keep shooting 3s > 40% my man!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He basically takes nothing but terrible threes while drifting sideways at 90 mph but as long as they're going in we're cool

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Denver has too many guards and wants to dump Nurkic, Philly needs guards and wants to dump Noel (but actually needs to dump Okafor), Rockets need a center and want to dump D-Mo

hmm I can't immediately see how this is going to get a superstar to the Knicks so I'm not going to think about it any more

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
D-Mo is an unrestricted free agent, anyone but the Rockets or Nets can sign him now.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

Morey is definitely not the guy who's going to trade to replace a 6-week injury in the hopes of scratching out a couple regular season wins.

e: Actually it looks like the Rockets are "probing" for a center

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/811225558096945152

I'm glad you've come to realize that I've never been wrong in my life. It took me a while to see it too but now I'm single and posting about basketball

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Healthy D-Mo would've been nice, but if he were healthy, he would've already been on the roster.

Surprised Morey hasn't turned Ennis and second-rounder into Noel yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Bruno Caboclo still doesnt look like a basketball player
He looks completely disinterested every time I've seen him on the court AND has terrible shot selection.

When Poeltl made that awesome dunk against the Hawks he was ready to walk back to the other side of the court rather than pretend he was even a little bit excited.

I've liked almost everything else Masai has done but I think I'm ready to call this one a bust.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blind Pineapple posted:

Healthy D-Mo would've been nice, but if he were healthy, he would've already been on the roster.

Surprised Morey hasn't turned Ennis and second-rounder into Noel yet.

Soon

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Noel's value is so weird. People are saying someone will give him a 15+ million /yr dollar contract next year but also he isn't valuable enough for someone to give up any assets for. I don't understand how some team will blow that much cap space on him, but another wouldn't see the value of getting his bird rights. Is he just one of those strange in-between guys we don't have a good sense of value for yet, or is there something else that's strange?

I feel like this is one of those "76ers have no leverage!" situations where they are ignoring the fact that any team that wants him still has to bid against every other team in the league that thinks he has value.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Space Camp fuckup posted:

No one should poach from the Spurs because no one is ever as good as they are with the Spurs

corey joeseph, george hill are way better now off the spurs

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are some Lakers fans who think he's the second coming and willing to break up the core to get Noel. Seriously.

I don't know how many decent rim protectors the Lakers need to burn through before people realize that their defense is bad because they play multiple god awful perimeter defenders at the same time pretty much entire games.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's difficult to know how much Noel is worth since we've never seen him play for an NBA-caliber team before

chunkles posted:

D-Mo is an unrestricted free agent, anyone but the Rockets or Nets can sign him now.

going to be honest I started tuning out the d-mo posts a few days into it :[ not on purpose my eyes would just glaze over and I wouldn't know what I'd read

did everyone see Boban posting up on Portis? https://streamable.com/embd6

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

cory joeseph, george hill are way better now off the spurs

I sorta remember Cory Joseph winning a championship with the Spurs (beat LeBron's team really, really bad, massive blowout of a series) is he doing better than that on the Raptors?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Bulls are engaged.

Nikola Mirotic forgets about Bulls’ walkthrough between two DNP-CDs
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/nikola-mirotic-forgets-about-bulls-walkthrough-between-two-dnp-cds/

:rip: 2017 Bulls.

Report: Kings fine DeMarcus Cousins $50,000
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/20/report-kings-levy-substantial-fine-on-demarcus-cousins-for-treatment-of-media/

:drat:

:lol:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ernie eulogizing Craig Sager: https://www.facebook.com/NBAONTNT/videos/10158093402965724/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Noel's value is so weird. People are saying someone will give him a 15+ million /yr dollar contract next year but also he isn't valuable enough for someone to give up any assets for. I don't understand how some team will blow that much cap space on him, but another wouldn't see the value of getting his bird rights. Is he just one of those strange in-between guys we don't have a good sense of value for yet, or is there something else that's strange?

I feel like this is one of those "76ers have no leverage!" situations where they are ignoring the fact that any team that wants him still has to bid against every other team in the league that thinks he has value.

I've gone through it exhaustively and you are looking at maybe three teams . Portland Dallas and New Jersey. New Jersey only wants him of they trade brook, which hasn't happened yet so...

Dallas would take him but the only thing that the Sixers would want from them are ... I don't know. Not a good match.

Portland makes sense but I have a feeling they will force Philadelphia to take crabbe which can't happen for another few months.

Houston used to be in here but capela has emerged as being as good as Noel anyway in most respects and much cheaper.

Also with New Jersey and Dallas they could just sign him as an rfa or FA (philly may not QO him) so why trade anything for a guy whose top side is maybe top 15 center.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Rockets are currently only 1.5 games behind the Spurs and with a better SRS, so not impossible they haven't factored that in.

I also think the top 1-2 seed model topples a bit if the Rockets actually win 60+ games, even if they are still behind GS and SA.

Even with that it still seems extremely high. I'd like to know exactly how they're calculating that so I should probably contact them. http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.cgi

The likelihood of a 3 seed or worse winning 60+ is possible but pretty low. It happened in the 1998 West and 1981 East. But yes, in 1981 Julius Erving on the 3 seed 76ers (tied for best record in league) did win MVP.

Lockback posted:

Is he just one of those strange in-between guys we don't have a good sense of value for yet, or is there something else that's strange?

He's 22 years old so we need another six or seven years to be sure. Trying to predict players futures is like asking someone what the temperature will be some random day five years from now.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I know this is a Blazers fan overvaluing a Blazers player, but I think Philly would jump at the chance to swap Noel for Crabbe. They don't care about salary because they are 2+ years away from win now mode. And even if Crabbe doesn't develop, $15m a year when the cap is gonna be $120m isn't bad.

But I don't think Crabbe is going anywhere unless it's part of a package for Boogie or something. Teams don't usually trade underperforming players that just signed extensions just like they don't trade recently drafted players that are underperforming

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I know this is a Blazers fan overvaluing a Blazers player, but I think Philly would jump at the chance to swap Noel for Crabbe. They don't care about salary because they are 2+ years away from win now mode. And even if Crabbe doesn't develop, $15m a year when the cap is gonna be $120m isn't bad.

But I don't think Crabbe is going anywhere unless it's part of a package for Boogie or something. Teams don't usually trade underperforming players that just signed extensions just like they don't trade recently drafted players that are underperforming

It's closer to $20 million and it's not attractive when they'll probably have 2 top 10 picks in a draft loaded with good guard prospects.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also that cap is going away real soon. Embiid will be up for extension because remember, this is his 3rd year

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

How is this possible? 107.3 is the league average rating. I'm having trouble understanding how .1 worse than average could be the 4th hardest.

Over the course of six weeks teams can play the same team 3 or 4 times and that will skew things. Different teams will play different amounts of games over the course of six weeks so comparing league average to individual opponent average will also change the averages.

Also, the league numbers and team numbers fluctuate on a daily basis so things have already changed since that post.

dokmo posted:

He looks like he doesn't know what a basketball is and doesn't want to know...

paternity suitor posted:

...he's soft as baby poo poo.

Good descriptors today.

zoux posted:

When did the names for basketball positions come about? Forward and center make sense to me but guard? Did Naismith Intend that they would be primarily for defense or what?

I believe so. I think basketball used to be more about guards guarding forwards back when things weren't nearly as specialized. More like hockey/soccer/baseball in that certain guys were supposed to stay in certain areas of the field/rink depending on the situation.

There's that old style of girls basketball where certain players aren't allowed to do certain things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-on-six_basketball

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Gerald Henderson is an NBA guard . Rob Covington sort of .

That's about it.

Playing Covington at guard has killed all his advanced numbers, killed them dead, he's really a tweener forward or a refrigerator with popsicle stick legs whatever you like

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

I've gone through it exhaustively and you are looking at maybe three teams . Portland Dallas and New Jersey. New Jersey only wants him of they trade brook, which hasn't happened yet so...

Dallas would take him but the only thing that the Sixers would want from them are ... I don't know. Not a good match.

Portland makes sense but I have a feeling they will force Philadelphia to take crabbe which can't happen for another few months.

Houston used to be in here but capela has emerged as being as good as Noel anyway in most respects and much cheaper.

Also with New Jersey and Dallas they could just sign him as an rfa or FA (philly may not QO him) so why trade anything for a guy whose top side is maybe top 15 center.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gm9eeee

Who says no?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento wants your UK big men. Cash4Wildcats

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento wants your UK big men. Cash4Wildcats

Especially to replace Cousins when him and Wall bolt for Phoenix together

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Why in the world would you give up anything for Noel when you could sign him outright as an RFA this offseason. Even if you think he can develop into a good player he's not at a skill level now where he will be all that useful immediately.

The Sixers likely aren't going to match whatever he gets offered this off season(unless they wanna be assholes).

Noel's not good enough right now to worry about things like Bird Rights. If he plays well under contract then the team he's on would still likely have the inside track (baring a super team situation arising) as he had such success there(least for the first contract).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

He might be fine!!!

The point is he can't be traded until January and only if he agrees !

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I were crabbe I'd nix a trade to Philadelphia and just wait for the inevitable trade to New Jersey.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Trading for Noel now gives you an up close look at him before offering a big deal. That does sound valuable, but not enough to give up anything too important

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also the obvious benefit to teams that don't have cap space for his bird rights

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Are they looking to move Noel because he's mad about stuff or do they believe that Okafor and Embiid can work better together

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel sulked through his third year and barely played hard. He spent the entire summer away from the team. He demanded a trade on the first day of training camp. He bailed out of the preseason with a mystery groin injury . He had elective !!! Surgery on the day before the season started. He had openly questioned the fo since then .

You tell me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

still can't get over the fact the kid's name is nerlens goddamn

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

noel gonna build a machine that turns him into a model teammate and now his name is pronounced nerLENS noEL

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I can't wait for Philly to match whatever crazy money Noel gets offered and then continue to keep him in a prison on the bench.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

R.D. Mangles posted:

still can't get over the fact the kid's name is nerlens goddamn

It's Haitian Creole iirc.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Mail Nermal to abu dhabi if they don't like playing basketball on the Seventy Sixers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Also, Westbrook and Harden were written a specific granpappy clause in the new CBA and will be eligible for supermaxes.

• Locked thread