Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If the Xaela tried to summon Nhaama into the steppe, we'd very well be putting that truth to the test.

And that's the difference.

Most of the tribes we met early game are being goaded by Ascians and Imperial aggression and are fringe cults summoning bastardized images from their myth. This has an empirical and provable destructive result. At no point did anyone question the Ehcatl Nine's devotion to finding Ayatlan, or the Brotherhood of Ash's worship of Ifrit.

There's nothing about Susano that exceeds the already loose definition of primal that the game establishes.

Point of order: The Brotherhood of Ash explicitly rejects Ifrit, and the Nine's devotion to finding Ayatlan actually is ultimately shown to be a hollow pursuit given, y'know, Ixal origins.

But yeah I meant less in the sense of primal-ness and more in a broader social and cultural sense Xaela religion is just accepted by most of the cast (and narrative) as, at least locally, "possibly true."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

Point of order: The Brotherhood of Ash explicitly rejects Ifrit, and the Nine's devotion to finding Ayatlan actually is ultimately shown to be a hollow pursuit given, y'know, Ixal origins.

But yeah I meant less in the sense of primal-ness and more in a broader social and cultural sense Xaela religion is just accepted by most of the cast (and narrative) as, at least locally, "possibly true."

The cast doesn't put any faith in the Xaela religion being any more true than any of the others. But they never disregard any other religion or mythology before that - just their obviously wrong primal incantations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The issue with summoning a primal of your god is the first part, not the second.

Seiryu (who I think was possibly going to be Rhalgr, or at least that was Ilberd's plan), Enkidu, and our rightful liege-lord Moggle Mog were in no way divine gods of any kind, and Hraesvelgr makes it explicitly clear that that poo poo wasn't Shiva at all, because he has Shiva's soul right there with him.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

Seiryu (who I think was possibly going to be Rhalgr, or at least that was Ilberd's plan), Enkidu, and our rightful liege-lord Moggle Mog were in no way divine gods of any kind, and Hraesvelgr makes it explicitly clear that that poo poo wasn't Shiva at all, because he has Shiva's soul right there with him.

I think you mean Shinryu. Ilberd wanted people to pray for Rhalgr as a ruse and to build support with his Ala Mhigan followers, but he didn't care. He wanted devastation on the level of a calamity, and on that he got a dragon rivalling Bahamut.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jetrauben posted:

The Brotherhood of Ash believe in Ifrit as part of the normal Amalj'aa pantheon, where he's the god of death. They don't believe in the divinity of the primal Ifrit that the cultists in Thanalan have summoned.

The Nina eventually find out that Ayatlan is just Azys Lla, but decide to keep searching for their paradise in the sky anyway. And, really, they weren't wrong that they came from a floating continent, that was completely accurate, just that it was a paradise where they could in peace, and not an abandoned laboratory filled with the leftovers of horrible experiments.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
When you think about it, telling people not to summon a weapon of mass destruction in the form of their god of choice is the same as being a missionary

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

When you think about it, telling people not to summon a weapon of mass destruction in the form of their god of choice is the same as being a missionary

That's not what I said, I was just specifically observing that the choice of line - not "there's nothing wrong with giving thanks to Father Titan, but summoning his false image is different" but rather specifically framing the non-anthropomorphized "the Earth that bore you" that Alisaie presumably believes in as acceptable when contrasted to "summoning" - was just accidentally awkward in that it continues to basically contrast the Kobolds' own explicit beliefs with a generic externally-acceptable belief.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 4, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Begemot posted:

The Brotherhood of Ash believe in Ifrit as part of the normal Amalj'aa pantheon, where he's the god of death. They don't believe in the divinity of the primal Ifrit that the cultists in Thanalan have summoned.

The Nina eventually find out that Ayatlan is just Azys Lla, but decide to keep searching for their paradise in the sky anyway. And, really, they weren't wrong that they came from a floating continent, that was completely accurate, just that it was a paradise where they could in peace, and not an abandoned laboratory filled with the leftovers of horrible experiments.

Let's just give that floating continent in the Endwalker concept art to the Ixal. Going by the most likely candidates for who that place might belong to, the Ixal are WAY better stewards than basically every option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Primals are to Supply Side Jesus as actual deities are to Regular Jesus.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Jetrauben posted:

Like I said, it's kinda telling that even Alisaie's effort to be good-faith tolerant amounts to an inability to meet kobold faith on their own terms and instead tells them they respect kobold worship as long as kobold worship looks exactly like her own culture's view of a non-anthopomorphized natural process.

Regular normal day-to-day Titan worship seems highly unlikely to involve periodic get-togethers to do rituals to manifest The Lord of the Crags in the rocky flesh. The summoning of the various gods in corporeal form is, while real cool and effective as a weapon and all that, probably not something that has long traditions within kobold/sahagin/amalj'aa/etc religious ritual. This is new knowledge inserted by outsiders that is, if you realize the origins of it, kind of awful and blasphemous, frankly. They don't keep doing it because that's how it's always been done, gotta go to church on Sunday and gotta summon up some Titan, they do it because they are now compelled to do so.

Also, the Twelve are sure as gently caress anthorpomorphized, and were even once threatened with being summoned that time with the youth from Little Ala Mhigo and Rhalgr. Yes, this is a dangling plot point, and whatever the real deal with the Twelve is certainly looking to us like they weren't gods but probably old tales of old heroes.... but most of Eorzea unironically worships them as gods-shaped-like-people.

If the Xaela tried to summon Nhaama into the steppe, we'd very well be putting that truth to the test.

And that's the difference.

Most of the tribes we met early game are being goaded by Ascians and Imperial aggression and are fringe cults summoning bastardized images from their myth. This has an empirical and provable destructive result. At no point did anyone question the Ehcatl Nine's devotion to finding Ayatlan, or the Brotherhood of Ash's worship of Ifrit.

There's nothing about Susano that exceeds the already loose definition of primal that the game establishes.

Also, yeah, this.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

FeatherFloat posted:

Regular normal day-to-day Titan worship seems highly unlikely to involve periodic get-togethers to do rituals to manifest The Lord of the Crags in the rocky flesh. The summoning of the various gods in corporeal form is, while real cool and effective as a weapon and all that, probably not something that has long traditions within kobold/sahagin/amalj'aa/etc religious ritual. This is new knowledge inserted by outsiders that is, if you realize the origins of it, kind of awful and blasphemous, frankly. They don't keep doing it because that's how it's always been done, gotta go to church on Sunday and gotta summon up some Titan, they do it because they are now compelled to do so.

Also, the Twelve are sure as gently caress anthorpomorphized, and were even once threatened with being summoned that time with the youth from Little Ala Mhigo and Rhalgr. Yes, this is a dangling plot point, and whatever the real deal with the Twelve is certainly looking to us like they weren't gods but probably old tales of old heroes.... but most of Eorzea unironically worships them as gods-shaped-like-people.

I get that, I'm specifically referring only to the rhetoric used in her statement.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just wanna kill the twelve

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Titan worship is actually, to my knowledge, one of the only beast tribes that we don't know non-zealot views of. We don't really know what a regular-rear end kobold thinks about Titan, other than not wanting to be sacrificed to him.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Jetrauben posted:

I get that, I'm specifically referring only to the rhetoric used in her statement.

While I get that the exact wording of what Alisae says in that moment can be read uncharitably and in a way that mirrors real-life missionary bullshit, given all of that poo poo I just typed, in my mind it doesn't actually imply that the only good kind of Titan worship is the kind that doesn't bother the Limsans.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a lot of people who antagonize others about the authenticity of their culture’s deities. We’re part of a group whose mission statement is one half telling people that those powerful creations aren’t actually gods. There’s also doctrinal disputes, things like any incarnation of Lakshmi being viewed as inherently flawed and therefore illegitimate by half of her worshippers. There’s people like Erik, too, who agree that the phenomenon of things like chakras happen but disagree on giving it any spiritual significance.

Few people actually worship the dragons, even among the Ishgardian heretics, who prefer to worship Shiva. So by the line of argument that worship is what makes it a god, they aren’t gods.

I agree with Jetrauban about the semi-divinity of the auspices but in the one case we saw where one was being actively worshipped, in the backstory of the Seiryu, Seiryu didn’t really care for the worship and the worshippers eventually sent mercenaries to kill him. So the question of whether they are divinities is more muddied when the one case of genuine worship we see is based on a misunderstanding.

Yeah but a ton of it is less "it is wrong to have faith and there is no god" and more "y'all getting played." The Ishgardian heretics having faith in something isn't wrong, it's just unfortunate that they're being played. Yeah there's religious conflict in XIV but most of it is just us vs them due to circumstances than because of religious intolerance. Sri Lakshmi and the Ananta are a good example. Prior to the Garleans straight up driving one faction into a corner to the point where they summoned a primal which then tempered their leadership, the two Ananta tribes were willing to put aside their disagreements on Sri Lakhsmi (and whatever else) because despite the tension between them, there wasn't enough interest to kill each other. But then the Qaylana go full evangelizing zealot on the Vira and they're left with no choice but to fight. The religious differences in how the tribes see Sri Lakshmi is more to reassure you that you're not going to offend the Vira by killing the primal than a denial of any and all Lakshmi worship different from theirs.

Most primal-summoning groups are extremists, either by dint of being driven to circumstances where they would summon one and/or what the tempering does to them. But the Syndicate didn't drive the Amalj'aa out of Ul'dah for their religion (although it was a convenient difference), it was for greed. And then when things got worse for groups of Amalj'aa, the ones most driven into a corner were tricked into using their faith to fuel a lie. Ifrit the primal doesn't suddenly make the rest of the Amalj'aa faith false.

Edit: gently caress, y'all were busy posting while I was busy typing. Anyway the tl;dr is that tolerant people/societies overlook their differences in the interest of cooperation/profit/what have you. Being a dick about someone else's faith/religion when they're not being a dick about it is just asking for trouble. And just because a lot of people are getting played by the Ascians into using their faith to fuel a massive con doesn't mean it was wrong for them to believe.

Argas fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 4, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Speaking of Primals, can someone confirm that the reason Bahamut looks so different compared to his siblings is because he's Summoned, and OG Bahamut looked more like Tiamat, Nidhogg and Hrasvalgr?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of Primals, can someone confirm that the reason Bahamut looks so different compared to his siblings is because he's Summoned, and OG Bahamut looked more like Tiamat, Nidhogg and Hrasvalgr?

Not only unclear, but unlikely. Primal Bahamut was summoned by Bahamut's sister, do you really think she would've messed up basic proportions?

The only evidence suggesting this might be the case is that there's official art for something (not sure what, maybe one of those offshoot 'themed selection' soundtracks) where Bahamut is a small part of a group with the dragons, and his head looks like it might be a kinda different shape.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SirPhoebos posted:

Probably. There's a shot in the EE1 that has Midgarsormr and his brood, and while it's not a clear shot of Bahamut, he's shaped far more like his siblings.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Not only unclear, but unlikely. Primal Bahamut was summoned by Bahamut's sister, do you really think she would've messed up basic proportions?

The only evidence suggesting this might be the case is that there's official art for something (not sure what, maybe one of those offshoot 'themed selection' soundtracks) where Bahamut is a small part of a group with the dragons, and his head looks like it might be a kinda different shape.

I don't think it's confirmed anywhere but I disagree if only because it wouldn't make any sense at all if Primals had to closely match the appearance of whatever the original being that summoned them was. It makes sense that Primal Bahamut wouldn't have his natural form because Tiamat's mind was wracked with grief and rage when she summoned him, so the Bahamut produced was altered to be more aggressive and outright demonic in appearance.

It also doesn't make any sense for other primals like Shiva and Thordan - I doubt Saint Shiva was an ice pop, nor do I think the original King Thordan was 20 feet tall.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chillgamesh posted:

I don't think it's confirmed anywhere but I disagree if only because it wouldn't make any sense at all if Primals had to closely match the appearance of whatever the original being that summoned them was. It makes sense that Primal Bahamut wouldn't have his natural form because Tiamat's mind was wracked with grief and rage when she summoned him, so the Bahamut produced was altered to be more aggressive and outright demonic in appearance.

It also doesn't make any sense for other primals like Shiva and Thordan - I doubt Saint Shiva was an ice pop, nor do I think the original King Thordan was 20 feet tall.

Yeah, because Ysayle's image of Shiva is a multiple-times-distorted deity of icy vengeance, and Thordan's image of Older Thordan was a divine god-king. They're picturing larger-than-life figures based on historical people they never knew, of course they'd picture them bigger and grander.

Tiamat was summoning her recently dead brother, who she knew as an equal. For this theory to make sense, her image of him would ha be so distorted so as to forget basic anatomy, which doesn't even track with the examples you gave; remember that Shiva and Thordan are, size aside, shaped like normal-rear end people, because their summoners still knew that part.

Bahamut was more than likely just naturally barrel-chested.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I take every opportunity to point out the difference between kobold-summoned Titan and WoL-summoned Titan. Kobold titan actually has a little kobold's face, although you only realize this after you finally see the Mord in Shadowbringers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Here's the image in question.

None of them at all match primal Bahamut's appearance. They're all long and slender, and his facial horns don't match at all.

He's the one in the middle left, gold coloured, basically looking Midgarsormr in the face.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 5, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

None of them at all match primal Bahamut's appearance.

He's the one in the middle left, gold coloured, basically looking Midgarsormr in the face.

Tiamat led the summoning and their brood helped summon him. What were they thinking of???

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Regy Rusty posted:

I just wanna kill the twelve

Hopefully that’s the Alliance Raids

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

thetoughestbean posted:

Tiamat led the summoning and their brood helped summon him. What were they thinking of???

If I had to guess, primal summoning in its very form is inaccurate. The Ancients who invented the process were immensely powerful and gifted with creation abilities. Tiamat and the dragons by all estimates should be unsundered and par to the Ancients, but if the process itself is designed to shove out a hollow approximation greatly influenced by the summoner's needs and emotions, you're never gonna get a reasonable copy.

Hell, the WoL was part of 8 different summonings, and they were wild.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I take every opportunity to point out the difference between kobold-summoned Titan and WoL-summoned Titan. Kobold titan actually has a little kobold's face, although you only realize this after you finally see the Mord in Shadowbringers.

I'd say the only thing you can't really appreciate from the ARR models alone is that they have the same hair.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Tiamat was summoning her recently dead brother, who she knew as an equal.

Creation/Summoning magic is extremely delicate and fickle, it's not just a matter of an image of your head. Her emotional state would have warped the product of her spell.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, and it's also of course worth noting that aren't dragon's various forms all situationally-caused metamorphoses rather than like an intrinsic phenotype?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Chillgamesh posted:

Creation/Summoning magic is extremely delicate and fickle, it's not just a matter of an image of your head. Her emotional state would have warped the product of her spell.

I believe Tiamat acknowledges that she knew immediately the twisted shade she summoned was not the real Bahamut.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of summons, it'd be cool if there will Amaurotine Guardian Forces still around presently in those big crystals or in some other system/magic. I wonder if they'd need faith and followers to sustain themselves, or if it's just not necessary for a creation imbued with power from the greatly more powerful ancients. It'd be interesting to know if there is any significant differences between a GF and the sundered's primals.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Tekne posted:

Speaking of summons, it'd be cool if there will Amaurotine Guardian Forces still around presently in those big crystals or in some other system/magic. I wonder if they'd need faith and followers to sustain themselves, or if it's just not necessary for a creation imbued with power from the greatly more powerful ancients. It'd be interesting to know if there is any significant differences between a GF and the sundered's primals.

Isn't the problem less mere sustenance per se and more that most primals are rapacious in their appetites for both souls and more aether? We have "stable" aetheric entities like fairies and carbuncles, or ghosts and certain elementals?

But it did seem to depict Amaurot as basically being post-scarcity as a result of creation magic.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Jetrauben posted:

Isn't the problem less mere sustenance per se and more that most primals are rapacious in their appetites for both souls and more aether? We have "stable" aetheric entities like fairies and carbuncles, or ghosts and certain elementals?

But it did seem to depict Amaurot as basically being post-scarcity as a resuult of creation magic.
Yeah, to be more precise, I'm wondering if GFs are more stable entities as they are products of true creation magic by the ideal casters. Y'shtola seemed to think the reason summoning is destructive now is due to weaker casters and just a dearth of aether whether it be from us or the environment for the created entities. If that is the case, would an active guardian on the source or a shard eventually need to consume more aether to sustain itself or does it already have everything it needs from its initial creation? I think it's something that might come up later and this is the sorta game that addressed mysteries in the setting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

None of them at all match primal Bahamut's appearance. They're all long and slender, and his facial horns don't match at all.

Honestly, I could see this being the Bahamut we know anatomically, because it's focusing on the reverse shot of how we normally see Bahamut. Our normal look at him is very front-on and very chest-focused, but here we're just seeing him from the shoulders up, from behind.

The horns, though, that's interesting. Because I'm now looking at pictures of primal Bahamut, and I'm realizing that on the real-deal one (not Bahamut Prime), those are actually very clearly Allagan tech. In the Binding Coils especially you can see them in gold with very Allagan neon teal patterns. The same stuff is clear in the 'Dalamud opens' cutscene, too, but the colors are washed out by all the fire. So I think we're slipping up in the wrong direction: it's not that Primal Bahamut, when summoned, was different to Real Bahamut. It was that by the time we got to him, Primal Bahamut had been mutilated.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All this discussion is why I like eikon over primal, it's so much more evocative and gets right to what they are.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Repost from the main thread:

Onean posted:

Pyromancer (someone who was big into WoW's lore) just put up a video about his conclusions and wonderings for the overall story up to 3.1. He also mentions the point of Alexander's story. So, spoilers for all of that.

It's interesting to see how his conclusions so far compare to what we've learned in Stormblood and Shadowbringers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmDgve6o80

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The big leaks, as also linked in the main thread.

Sage
White Mage
Scholar
Astrologian
Paladin
Warrior
Dark Knight
Gunbreaker
Bard 84 trait
Bard 90 ability
Black Mage 86 ability
Black Mage ? ability
Reaper 90 ability
Ninja 82 ability
Monk ? ability
Another Monk ? ability

Hogama fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 6, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Even the leakers can't be bothered to care about Bard

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sage is gonna be APM as gently caress, huh? You can't really sit in Eukrasia, but you need to dip in to keep up your DoT, to put up shields, etc.

I'm excited. :getin:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Holy poo poo Bard got Divination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I refuse to look at the leaks (but don't particularly care if I get spoiled anyway), so I have no idea what the gently caress this means and it's hilarious