Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

buy a ps4 to play bloodborne

they're probably not that expensive anymore anyway

codo27 posted:

At least get a Pro. Might as well play the PS1 demake as the regular PS4 version.

scary ghost dog posted:

theres literally no difference between the two versions

Get a PS4 Pro, jailbreak it, install the 60fps patch :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Huh, that's the opposite of my experience of that fight. I had to be hyper aggressive and kill them all myself because she was crumpling like a wet paper bag

in my last playthrough she got off waterfowl dance and killed two or three of them

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Cleared the sewers (it's got a fancy name but it's the sewers no matter how much you paint it), beat the boss there, got to the secret platforming section behind the boss arena where I managed to get to the bottom with only two deaths and basically I'm done with that until I know if Melina has something unique to say in the DLC or not. Next is a rematch of a boss that I already fought in the sewers but with a second phase, especially since I decided I was sick of using katanas that I farmed for a Guardian's Swordspear and then upgraded it to +20 and I wanted to try it out.

Edit:
I definitely enjoy the Swordspear and had a good time going through Mohg's Dynasty with it. All that's left is the big guy himself.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 14, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

If you beat Malenia with parries and no summon you can say you're good at the game now, it's okay, I've given you permission.

going to hold you to this when I beat her with parries on my level 1 guy now my shoulders are less broken. expecting long probes for anyone who claims I'm actually bad at the game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tip for double crucible knights: just cast comet azure at them lol

cornlog
May 1, 2008

Skrill.exe posted:

You should have doubled down and removed all spaces and punctuation.

Ha ha. Maybe I would have done that if I had thought of it. That’s a funny troll.

Epic High Five posted:

If you beat Malenia with parries and no summon you can say you're good at the game now, it's okay, I've given you permission. Getting good doesn't look like becoming a speedrunner, it looks like finding ways to gimp yourself from what you know works to make things more interesting or try other things out. It's playing fast and loose with something OP in your back pocket you know you can one shot any boss with just in case. Once you've done that 10,000 times, you're in the realm where speedrunners operate.

I didn’t mean to imply the good or bad of any player. I saw someone say in here that using whatever means a fromsoft game gives you to beat the game is the correct way to play. They are right.

I just found for myself that accepting that I wasn’t good or not as good as I thought I was allowed me to play the game better. I found more enjoyment with boss moves that were frustrating to me.

Parrying Malenia was both frustrating and fun for me. I don’t know if the risk reward is worth it. I’m only able to parry that quick double slash 30% of the time. It did allow me to learn her moves better for dodging. Props to anyone who figured out waterfowl dance on their own.

I will never be a speed runner. I don’t have the patience or the reflexes. I enjoy watching them and no hit runners. It’s cool to see the possibilities.

I enjoy reading other people’s experiences in the game and I just wanted to share my own.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

My new favorite exploit strat is a polearm w/ Bloodflame Blade and the Spinning Strikes ash. Immersion Blender Simulator 2k22

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I don’t think I’ve ever parried in a Souls game or Elden Ring, other than a tutorial getting me to do it once. I appreciate this game adding guard counters as a fun and cool alternative, I never got sick of being able to block and counter with a big two handed weapon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Toast King posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever parried in a Souls game or Elden Ring, other than a tutorial getting me to do it once. I appreciate this game adding guard counters as a fun and cool alternative, I never got sick of being able to block and counter with a big two handed weapon.

How did you beat Gywn, The Lord of Getting Parried? Like I'm actually serious. He's like impossible for me without parry.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mustached Demon posted:

How did you beat Gywn, The Lord of Getting Parried? Like I'm actually serious. He's like impossible for me without parry.

You can dunk on him with a greatshield.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

War Wizard posted:

You can dunk on him with a greatshield.

Greatshield or Black K***ht Shield.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pyro Jack posted:

you have the option to help him for something that's bad for everyone.

How do you know what the Dung Eater wants is bad for everyone? :smug:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
Forums Poster John Murdoch confirmed dunglover

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Slander, I am simply dung neutral.

If there's anything I love, it's melting all of reality back into soup. :unsmigghh:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I think it's good if everyone suffers in poop hell forever after they die

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

goblin week posted:

I think it's good if everyone suffers in poop hell forever after they die

thank you for saying this. i agree

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

John Murdoch posted:

Slander, I am simply dung neutral.

If there's anything I love, it's melting all of reality back into soup. :unsmigghh:

"oh no I'm not a fan of dung, I just am comfortable sitting next to it"

plausible

"oh no i'm not a fan of dung, I just am comfortable with someone eating it"

now hold on fella

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
He doesn't actually eat poop, so all's good.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
You don't eat poop. You poo poo it out

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My son is playing through Dark Souls for the first time. It’s been fun to check in on him every now and then.

He went with a knight character and selected the health ring as his gift. Just like his dumb dad awww.

He didn’t have any issue with Blight town, which I thought was interesting. He somehow managed to get all the way to Sif without hardly leveling up his stamina, so he got stuck there for a while. I told him it served him right trying to hurt the doggo how could he do such a thing?!

Man oh man did he hate Sen’s Fortress! A lot of swearing and screaming. I felt sorry for him and told him about the hidden bonfire and he was very grateful. He had a classic Dark Souls fight against the Iron Golem where he got him down to a tiny sliver of health before getting picked up and thrown to his death.

Now he just got up to the sniper archers in Anor Londo and is getting wrecked. He told me “Today I’m going to kill Ornstein!” which made me chuckle - not sure where he heard about Ornstein but I wanna watch when he gets to that fight cause he’s gonna freak out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dungeater is a millennial because he eats rear end

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

It’s been a long time since I played the original, but I generally went through all the games with 2 handing big weapons. Just occasional big hits and dodging gets me through most things even though parrying Gwyn feels right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dungeater is a millennial because he eats rear end

The Penurious Avocado-Toaster

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Beaten Mohg in my first try though considering I've beaten the path up to the Haligtree alongside taking down Malenia, that was probably expected. I also ended up getting enough Smithing Stones to fully upgrade the Guardian's Swordspear (the scaling doesn't look too impressive but that's because upgrading it puts me out of two-handing it for some reason unless I want to pump up Strength a bit to one-hand it) meaning that I'm definitely prepared for the DLC.

For now, I'm taking a break from Elden Ring because I've been playing this game for around six weeks/68 hours.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm realizing now that I dont understand what the - x means in weapon damage info.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm realizing now that I dont understand what the - x means in weapon damage info.

thats the amount of damage subtracted due to you not meeting the requirements

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But every single weapon I've ever used in a souls game always has that value there? And I dont use anything with stat requirements in red.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

codo27 posted:

But every single weapon I've ever used in a souls game always has that value there? And I dont use anything with stat requirements in red.

It’s the amount of damage due to attribute scaling, as opposed to its base damage (depends only on upgrade level). If you meet the weapon’s required stats, you get a positive amount. If not, it’s negative.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok that makes sense, now that I think about it I usually see a + instead. Le dumb

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

codo27 posted:

Ok that makes sense, now that I think about it I usually see a + instead. Le dumb

I didn’t know that either fwiw

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

codo27 posted:

I was briefly mildly concerned that you had been playing souls games exclusively with weapons you failed to meet the requirements for.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

codo27 posted:

I didn't feel any area was really lacking.

Where did you go first on your original play through? I went left, down to the beach. I never go where the main quest tells you to go.
i went to the catacombs under stormveil before i went to stormveil

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I’ve been doing a second playthrough with a pure faith build and making myself not use all the giant strength weapons this time.

I’m amazed at how useable the erdsteel dagger from Kenneth Haight early on is, with the physical damage also scaling off of faith. With Sacred Blade this thing is impressively good for a tiny little dagger, it was a nice surprise.

Killing a death rite bird in Caelid with 3 sacred blade hits was also funny, I’d never fought them with any holy damage before now.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 16, 2024

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Toast King posted:

I’ve been doing a second playthrough with a pure faith build and making myself not use all the giant strength weapons this time.

I’m amazed at how useable the erdsteel dagger from Kenneth Haight early on is, with the physical damage also scaling off of faith. With Sacred Blade this thing is impressively good for a tiny little dagger, it was a nice surprise.

Don't neglect Catch Flame just because it's a melee range starter spell! Just like with Sorcery, you get the only spell you'll actually need the whole game first thing, with the critical difference that Catch Flame never gets boring

Erdsteel dagger is a lot of fun, sacred blade really does work on it both in how it turns it into a Faith scaling machine and in compensating for the goddawful range of daggers. Godspeed with it, I ended up caving and using a straight sword as emergency backup

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I pushed the wrong button and killed Boc in one hit. Do I rush to NG++ to escape this doomed, darkened world, or is it better to just delete all my saved games and start over free of my cardinal sin?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think you should destroy your console just to be sure

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I hit D in the Mariner fight because I forgot he shows up there I guess and ghostflame explosion has a huge radius.

I think the only way to salvage this run is to make this my Frenzied Flame playthrough.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think if you didn't kill him you can fix the relationship with celestial dew at turtle pope church?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

I pushed the wrong button and killed Boc in one hit. Do I rush to NG++ to escape this doomed, darkened world, or is it better to just delete all my saved games and start over free of my cardinal sin?

Where will you get uglier versions of your armour now???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Had a scrap with fire giant last night. While second phase was annoying due to aoe and him rolling around more than the average Souls player I put him to sleep first time round. To be fair I've gained about 30 levels since I arrived at the mountain and have dual level 19 katanas with poison bleed and poison frost respectively.