Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only Remastered game I've ever bought is Command & Conquer and it's good. I'm tempted by Master of Magic but I'm playing the new Spellforce game instead and it scratches the same itch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

Unless the remaster is done by Bluepoint, see Shadow of the Colossus for the PS4.

The remaster hosed up the protagonists visual progression. Yes, obviously the frame rate and draw distance improvements were incredible but my goodness that and the toning down of the light bothered me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Triarii posted:

Don't buy remasters of games you've already played imo

having to go to the trouble of digging up and possibly refurbishing my ps2 is worth the $15-on-sale price of romancing saga minstrel song remastered

unless you're insinuating that i should use pcsx2??

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Fur20 posted:

having to go to the trouble of digging up and possibly refurbishing my ps2 is worth the $15-on-sale price of romancing saga minstrel song remastered

unless you're insinuating that i should use pcsx2??

I don't play "romancing" games so I don't know what that is, but you should buy a new game that you haven't played instead.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cock Blowin Saga

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Play games you enjoy, the entertainment value:price ratios (outside of DLC and MTX) are so absurdly in your favor you're wasting time and money by trying to avoid buying games you'll enjoy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
all remakes/remasters are bad and you shouldn't buy them. please try to incentivize the creators of things you like to make more new art instead of paying them to give you the same art multiple times.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know man, new games loving suck nowadays

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

jokes posted:

Counterpoint:
New games are good, it is the old gamers that suck now.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

jokes posted:

nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

fact is, games have always loving sucked. 99% of every kind of entertainment/art is dogshit; that's Sturgeon's Law. but when we look back fondly at the games we played 20-30 years ago, we remember the good times, and forget all the games that we played for like two hours and decided they were poo poo

there is good stuff out there now, embedded in a sea of dogshit, just like always.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In an ideal world, the real classics would get a graphical facelift while not really touching all of the things that made the game good. But because remasters/remakes are driven primarily by publishers, not developers, they usually don't go well.

If it's a remaster, the studio puts in as little money as possible to create some dogshit product that may even look worse than the original. Secret of Mana and Link's Awakening look cheaply made and aren't really an upgrade over the original, the studio just felt like they had to do something to justify cashing in on a re-release

If it's a remake, it's basically an entirely new game where nothing of importance was retained, the studio gets free nostalgia PR and that's it.

I think maybe the Starcraft Remaster is the only time that a company has put real effort into preserving a game while just trying to make it look nicer, and paradoxically they released it for almost nothing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
New games are amazing and great. The only thing that sucks is the monetization hell trend.

Like even games I don't want to touch because they're boring and annoying like RDR2 or new God Of War are unironically loving amazing. Even 6/10 games of today are amazing compared to the 6/10 games of the 90s.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the remastered Spyros and Diablo 2 resurrected are great and don't change anything but the graphics and modern computer / controller compatibility. I assume the crash bandicoot remasters are the same

DontMockMySmock posted:

all remakes/remasters are bad and you shouldn't buy them. please try to incentivize the creators of things you like to make more new art instead of paying them to give you the same art multiple times.

utter wankery

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 5, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The links awakening remaster looks great? It just runs like complete dogshit apparently.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't know seems to me replacing your protagonist and adding voice acting is not so much for fans as it is "this is an AAA game, this is what we put into AAA games, please pay us AAA game price".

edit: I haven't played a Dead Space, also the "please" is more like "WE'VE GOT YOUR NOSTALGIA MAYBE YOU CAN RELIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD FOR $60 YOU SAD gently caress". I say as somebody who recently looked at some Elite Beat Agents videos. 3 2 1

its a really good high effort remake for a game that aged poorly and never ran properly on pc. Silent protagonists are very very stupid while they stand there silently like some kind of gormless invalid and people tell them what to do. He was also voice acted in the sequels. God your post is so lame and strange.

DontMockMySmock posted:

its not my responsibility to do anything but play what I feel like playing, i don't have to incentivise poo poo

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 5, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

The links awakening remaster looks great? It just runs like complete dogshit apparently.

I'd argue that is part of the "look" aspect of the game given how hard it chugs.

Videogame remakes are good, I mean, many of them are unneeded or highly flawed, but every once in a while you get a Resident Evil 2. I am always huge fan of artists taking something already existing and doing a second pass at it with a different vantage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Barudak posted:

I'd argue that is part of the "look" aspect of the game given how hard it chugs.

Videogame remakes are good, I mean, many of them are unneeded or highly flawed, but every once in a while you get a Resident Evil 2. I am always huge fan of artists taking something already existing and doing a second pass at it with a different vantage.

Yeah, I feel a bit differently about remakes and remasters. There's a couple of remasters I'm grateful for, like Dark Souls Remastered or Shin Megami Tensei 3 because I missed playing those on release and its nice they have a little bit of graphical or QoL improvements, but a lot of feel like a product of increasingly long development cycles and I wasn't too thrilled to get God of War 3 and Last of Us as my pack-in games for my PS4, considering I'd played them like a year prior on the PS3.

The Resident Evil remakes have enough substantial novelty to them that they're completely justified, and by all accounts, that sounds true of Dead Space. Video games are still a young medium, and 3D, narrative driven games are even younger, meaning that a lot of gamed that were great on release feel awkward and clunky. So remake the hell out of them.

In games, loads of sequels are functionally remakes anyway, since what they really add is usually graphical, engine and quality of life improvements

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

Stephanie Sterling's review of the Dead Space remake is hilariously bad and its basically this thread's energy instilled in one video game review

https://www.thejimquisition.com/post/dead-space-remake-a-visceral-response-review

quote:

When you add the repulsive context of EA benefiting from a series it once destroyed right down to the developer, you get a game that leaves a sour bloody taste, even if it’s an acceptable mimicry of its predecessor.
I think that's the crux of it. gently caress EA, etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EA is not particularly notable for taking a horror franchise, loving up its sequels with terrible attempts at broadening appeal and ballooning budgets until they underperform, then those same people in charge coming back around to make new reboots with none of the original creative people nvolved.

Well, outside of their reboot being actually good and making solid improvements over what came before unlike the most recent reboot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre basically any horror franchise with more than 3 entries

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

DontMockMySmock posted:

Counterpoint: suikdoen 1 + 2 hd remasters

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you read that review she outright flunks the game because EA bought out the studio, laid off everyone who made the game, then contracted another studio to do the remake

Pretty good reason to give the game the middle finger imo but I get it if deep dish peat moss sucks at reading

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nintendo 64 games are the ugliest mutherfuckin games ever created.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I want to argue, but no, you're right.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

itry posted:

I think that's the crux of it. gently caress EA, etc.

I tend to think if you don't like EA you can just write that instead of pretending to review a game while doing that.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

Counterpoint: suikdoen 1 + 2 hd remasters

You could throw 3 and 5 into that as well, and even Suikoden tactics. 4 could probably use a full remake, that one just seemed phoned in

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Remaking anything from the 360 era or later is always a cash grab, it's always just a graphics update maybe you get a little extra content.

At least with like the Link's Awakening you can feel confident they didn't open the existing Visual Studio Solution that was used for the creating the original game, with Dead Space I 100% think that's what happened

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

fact is, games have always loving sucked. 99% of every kind of entertainment/art is dogshit; that's Sturgeon's Law. but when we look back fondly at the games we played 20-30 years ago, we remember the good times, and forget all the games that we played for like two hours and decided they were poo poo

there is good stuff out there now, embedded in a sea of dogshit, just like always.

I think this is mostly true but I do believe (nostalgia tinted) triple A games use to have the chance of being really good instead of now where at best they only seem ok. Well Nintendo might still be able to make "new" games they never have enough to convince me to buy a console anymore, besides I'm not sure I need yet another Mario Kart.

edit: Actually no Nintendo doesn't really make new games anymore do they?

Caesar Saladin posted:

its a really good high effort remake for a game that aged poorly and never ran properly on pc. Silent protagonists are very very stupid while they stand there silently like some kind of gormless invalid and people tell them what to do. He was also voice acted in the sequels. God your post is so lame and strange.

its not my responsibility to do anything but play what I feel like playing, i don't have to incentivise poo poo

You're free to spend 60 bucks on an old game with a fresh coat of paint, while it's fine for me (or anyone else such as Stephanie Stirling who seems to like the original) to question if that fresh coat of paint added anything or detracted from the game. It's okay I won't judge you for not seeing the truth even though I was nice enough to post it because I'm above that. I'd never insult someone for having ignorant videogame opinions. Nope. Never. No matter how loving dumb. Could you imagine someone playing a game where voice acting was something that mattered? Like I'm playing Rimworld and I think OH gently caress THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE VOICE ACTING. When I play Patrick's Parable I think yep this square should talk.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2023

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

DontMockMySmock posted:

i’m playing the remake of the remake of tactics ogre and it kicks so much rear end, i missed out on the first two goarounds but i played the original ff tactics and i can tell how many quality of life improvements they must have put in for current players.

some remakes are good!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

You're free to spend 60 bucks on an old game with a fresh coat of paint, while it's fine for me (or anyone else such as Stephanie Stirling who seems to like the original) to question if that fresh coat of paint added anything or detracted from the game. It's okay I won't judge you for not seeing the truth even though I was nice enough to post it because I'm above that. I'd never insult someone for having ignorant videogame opinions. Nope. Never. No matter how loving dumb. Could you imagine someone playing a game where voice acting was something that mattered? Like I'm playing Rimworld and I think OH gently caress THIS GAME DOESN'T HAVE VOICE ACTING. When I play Patrick's Parable I think yep this square should talk.

Jesus you are an absolute bellend.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the enlightened gamer has logged on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
freaking out at the local deli because they sell "turkey sandwich with spicy mayo" for $10bux, but i know last week they were selling regular turkey sandwiches, which means all they added is mayo
adding mayo isn't worth 10 freakin dollars!!!!!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I think this is mostly true but I do believe (nostalgia tinted) triple A games use to have the chance of being really good instead of now where at best they only seem ok.

I pretty much agree on this particular point; AAA means something different now than it did 25 years ago, because the size and maturity of the videogames market has grown so much since then. The market forces that modern AAA games obey basically enforce mediocrity upon them. So when I say "there are good games out there now," for the most part I don't mean AAA games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

if you read that review she

Unless I missed it, they prefer they.

Also, can't find the quote in the thread, but they are James Stephanie, not just Stephanie. It even says it in the linked article.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nae posted:

i’m playing the remake of the remake of tactics ogre and it kicks so much rear end, i missed out on the first two goarounds but i played the original ff tactics and i can tell how many quality of life improvements they must have put in for current players.

some remakes are good!

Tactics ogre reborn fucken owns and i was happy to pay £45 on day one for it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think games have always sucked I just think as time has gone on people's expectations for games have gotten unreasonable, with a lot of folks hoping to find the one game that they will play forever for the rest of their lives, and that's very unlikely to ever happen for most people. They also expect even 10 dollar indie games to be updated with new content forever, and that can't happen either,

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

EA is not particularly notable for taking a horror franchise, loving up its sequels with terrible attempts at broadening appeal and ballooning budgets until they underperform, then those same people in charge coming back around to make new reboots with none of the original creative people nvolved.

Well, outside of their reboot being actually good and making solid improvements over what came before unlike the most recent reboot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre basically any horror franchise with more than 3 entries

Hellraiser remake is pretty good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

freaking out at the local deli because they sell "turkey sandwich with spicy mayo" for $10bux, but i know last week they were selling regular turkey sandwiches, which means all they added is mayo
adding mayo isn't worth 10 freakin dollars!!!!!

You're eating week old turkey meat

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
games do not need to look any better. if a game requires more than a base ps4 or a gtx 1060, then it was poorly designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Waltzing Along posted:

Unless I missed it, they prefer they.

Also, can't find the quote in the thread, but they are James Stephanie, not just Stephanie. It even says it in the linked article.

My bad thanks for letting me know