Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard switch that, when pressed, immediately releases, as in you can not hold them down. It's ok if it has almost no travel.

What's the use case here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Making a discreet modification to a hitbox so that it plinks a switch on press for a shorthop. But I ended up practicing it a ton and getting it down on my own, I'm still curious about making the mod though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which usb connection is on the back of the ps4 controller? it's the same as my e-reader. It's either micro usb or usb-a I think

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/accessories/dualshock-4-wireless-controller/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
looks like microUSB from this pic on that website. makes sense as that was the most common connection for phones and stuff for years, up until USB-C started taking over market share recently

but also wtf why is it so blurry

it's definitely not USB-A. USB-A is the big square connector that you first think of when you think USB, the end that goes into your pc or wall wart:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

which usb connection is on the back of the ps4 controller? it's the same as my e-reader. It's either micro usb or usb-a I think

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/accessories/dualshock-4-wireless-controller/

Micro usb

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

For bands that use printed setlists, is it expected that a music venue will have a printer for them to use?

We tour with printers. Just like we have work boxes full of tools and gear, we have road cases that go straight into the production office with printers, computers, etc. This seems like it's pretty common for larger groups. Most venues I've been in, they have their own offices and would print off one or two things for you if you asked, but wouldn't intend on doing any heavy lifting for you. Thinking about it, I think we typically have two printers that go into the production office, a Front of House printer that goes with LX, and a really nice printer that lives in Ampland or RF world with the audio guys. Most of my experience is in ~3,000+ seat houses, so ymmv.

If you're a touring act, you can always put it in your tech rider, and the producer or venue would provide.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Ironhead posted:

We tour with printers. Just like we have work boxes full of tools and gear, we have road cases that go straight into the production office with printers, computers, etc. This seems like it's pretty common for larger groups. Most venues I've been in, they have their own offices and would print off one or two things for you if you asked, but wouldn't intend on doing any heavy lifting for you. Thinking about it, I think we typically have two printers that go into the production office, a Front of House printer that goes with LX, and a really nice printer that lives in Ampland or RF world with the audio guys. Most of my experience is in ~3,000+ seat houses, so ymmv.

If you're a touring act, you can always put it in your tech rider, and the producer or venue would provide.

interesting

i would have assumed most bands would have their materials printed before a tour, or would that take too much space to transport and so you have to print on location?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Oh thats just for stuff we need internally, things that might change venue to venue. Things like play bills or promotional materials get delivered. Its common to have an entire trailer (or many trailers for stadium tours, etc) just for merch and marketing, but that gets re-upped along the way. Hauling extra poo poo all over the country gets expensive, so you try to only carry what you need for a few stops, and have more delivered to the venues in advance as you run low on things to restock.

You typically wouldn't print things like your set list in advance for all your stops, because its likely to change. Stage Management would typically handle printing off new sheets at each stop with any updates or changes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

Micro usb

cool thank you both

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've got a plastic waterproof tub of dry but mould covered items, mostly books. Is there some kind of aerosol or gas or something I could use, that I could spray into the container, to create an environment that the mould will die off in, when left sealed for a while?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

credburn posted:

Weird question I kind of just want to poll you guys on.

You know that song "Modern Love" by David Bowie? Okay, do you know it better as, or perhaps only as "Church On Time"? A decade ago a friend of mine thought the song was called that we it was a running joke with us, but the other night at a bar the song came on, and two different people thought the song was called Church On Time.

I knew it as Modern Love. But more importantly I want you to know I was listening to that very song by coincidence when I read your post.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

I just found this weird egg in a box of otherwise normal supermarket eggs.
It's lumpy all over, like a clay egg a kid would make.
The shell doesn't feel harder or thicker, but I haven't tried to crack it yet.

What's going on here? I assume I can just eat it, but I figured I'd eat the other ones first while I asked this question

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's a David Bowie day perhaps. I was just listening to black star

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EricBauman posted:

What's going on here? I assume I can just eat it, but I figured I'd eat the other ones first while I asked this question

That's just a soft-shelled egg. Comes from bad luck and vitamin deficiencies. I wouldn't eat one of these I found in a pack of supermarket eggs.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a place that just collects massive amounts of categorized data? By which I mean, I'm looking for something that, say, will have a category (color, for instance) and it will just provide a massive list of entries for that. Like, blue, cyan, yellow, pearl, etc. Or if I search for "types of coffee" or "cities in Mexico" or "planets in the solar system", just huge lists of attributes for each entity. It seems like this is a pretty simple resource to create and maintain, but I don't know if a good centralized one exists... ?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Are you asking if Wikipedia exists? Or are you looking for it in a particular format?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah wikipedia has a shitload of lists. They usually aren't in a csv-friendly format, not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Is there a place that just collects massive amounts of categorized data? By which I mean, I'm looking for something that, say, will have a category (color, for instance) and it will just provide a massive list of entries for that. Like, blue, cyan, yellow, pearl, etc. Or if I search for "types of coffee" or "cities in Mexico" or "planets in the solar system", just huge lists of attributes for each entity. It seems like this is a pretty simple resource to create and maintain, but I don't know if a good centralized one exists... ?

PYF Lists (LISTS ONLY)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

EricBauman posted:

Sometimes a hen just starting to lay or coming back into lay after a molt (prob not a commercial hen, they are sold or killed before molt) lays a weird egg, or if she has some reproductive problem or respiratory infection. I haven’t seen an egg quite that wrinkly but I eat wrinkled eggs when my hens lay them.

Let us know if the inside looks weird.

tuyop posted:

That's just a soft-shelled egg. Comes from bad luck and vitamin deficiencies. I wouldn't eat one of these I found in a pack of supermarket eggs.

A soft shelled egg feels like a rubber ball, not a normal egg.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

One of our hens laid something like that when she was getting old and stopping laying.

We ate it fresh, the shell eas hard, rough and noticably thinner. I wouldn't eat one that may have been lying around the supermarket production lines for several weeks.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'll break it open out of curiosity, but I don't feel like eating it, since I've also read this:

Supposedly completely safe for human as long as the interior membrane is intact, but eh, it's just one egg, I'll just use the other ones.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
The new guy at work and I have struck up a friendship due to sharing the same tatse in movies tv and dumb Internet jokes. We often try to "out quite" each other. I'm stuck. Whats "best meme 14" refuring to?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

credburn posted:

Wikidata - https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Main_Page

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Ironhead posted:

I hadn't considered how much equipment bands must tour with other than what you see on stage or in the sound booth. Thanks.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Yesss this is I think what I'm searching for

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Hai thread!

I’m looking for an ask/tell thread to ask for practical advice on my art. I enjoy drawing geometric designs and patterns but I really have less than an inkling of knowledge on materials.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
VERY stupid question that I expect the answer to be "depends on your network" or "of course not you clown":

Can you forward voicemail messages to somebody else like you would an email? Searching is almost impossible as I mainly get results for call forwarding. The very few results I get for the topic are some variation of "stick your phone's speaker up to a recording device and send them the file" or "play it to the other person using a different phone". Not ideal.

And if not, why not? Seems like it would be a useful feature, if a little niche.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a goon approved resource for getting a temporary number for receiving sms texts?

I’ve just been googling Reddit posts for resources and can’t seem to find a number that actually works.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Such Fun posted:

Hai thread!

I’m looking for an ask/tell thread to ask for practical advice on my art. I enjoy drawing geometric designs and patterns but I really have less than an inkling of knowledge on materials.

I apologize if this is dumb - but doesn’t the art subforum have threads which provide feedback?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

franco posted:

VERY stupid question that I expect the answer to be "depends on your network" or "of course not you clown":

Can you forward voicemail messages to somebody else like you would an email? Searching is almost impossible as I mainly get results for call forwarding. The very few results I get for the topic are some variation of "stick your phone's speaker up to a recording device and send them the file" or "play it to the other person using a different phone". Not ideal.

And if not, why not? Seems like it would be a useful feature, if a little niche.

My phone company has the option to send me texts with the recording attached so I can download it and do whatever I want with it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Such Fun posted:

Hai thread!

The creative convention discord is an amazing community, kind of weird since the subforum is a bit dead other than the writing threads.

Mentioned by this post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3552870&pagenumber=61&perpage=40&highlight=discord#post525873721

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

franco posted:

The best I've found for this in the past is various services where you either dial in a third number or call your voicemail from a web app and then it records everything and gives you an mp3 to download later. Search for save/download voicemails and I think you'll find some services.

It does seem pretty dumb that all carriers don't just have an easy way to do this, the answer to why not is almost certainly "we have a monopoly lmao gently caress off".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

franco posted:

not sure if this is android or google fi-specific but in the default calls app i can tap the share icon to get the voicemail as an mp3

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

At least on iOS w/ AT&T, it looks like there’s a convenient option to share a voice mail message through all the usual methods, that gets you a good chunk of the way there. Includes options to send it as a message attachment. Doesn’t get it appearing in the recipient’s voicemail box but it does get the recording to them in like three quick clicks.

I did:

1) click on the voicemail message to open the details/transcript

2) click the share icon that appears next to the “i” info icon

3) pick the destination, be it saving locally, sending via text/iMessage, email, discord, airdrop, whatever

Not sure if that helps but maybe it’s applicable.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

My phone company has the option to send me texts with the recording attached so I can download it and do whatever I want with it.

Trapick posted:

The best I've found for this in the past is various services where you either dial in a third number or call your voicemail from a web app and then it records everything and gives you an mp3 to download later. Search for save/download voicemails and I think you'll find some services.

It does seem pretty dumb that all carriers don't just have an easy way to do this, the answer to why not is almost certainly "we have a monopoly lmao gently caress off".

butt dickus posted:

not sure if this is android or google fi-specific but in the default calls app i can tap the share icon to get the voicemail as an mp3

Bad Munki posted:

At least on iOS w/ AT&T, it looks like there’s a convenient option to share a voice mail message through all the usual methods, that gets you a good chunk of the way there. Includes options to send it as a message attachment. Doesn’t get it appearing in the recipient’s voicemail box but it does get the recording to them in like three quick clicks.

I did:

1) click on the voicemail message to open the details/transcript

2) click the share icon that appears next to the “i” info icon

3) pick the destination, be it saving locally, sending via text/iMessage, email, discord, airdrop, whatever

Not sure if that helps but maybe it’s applicable.

Thank you all. You're all awesome :love: I'll have a gently caress on with this advice and see where I get :)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Here's the finished Song Book I mentioned a while ago, 430 pages and about 800 tunes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/143aC5HiwBkFIPDEvc5iW2V1CLQyK7UjZ/view?usp=share_link

And here's the corresponding playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/71hVBwQd7D4nCcySJLsv9C?si=c8e51f50b7754af5.

Hope it's of some use to people.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I apologize if this is dumb - but doesn’t the art subforum have threads which provide feedback?

*grabs both your hands, shaking them up and down* NEVER apologize for dumb.
But I asked here because over the years a lot of subforums have gotten names that are sassy references to in-jokes, or acronyms I don't know. So I thought, instead of exploring something new and risking an experience, I'd just ask others to give me the right answer. This is the soul of art.

tuyop posted:

The creative convention discord is an amazing community, kind of weird since the subforum is a bit dead other than the writing threads.

Mentioned by this post here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3552870&pagenumber=61&perpage=40&highlight=discord#post525873721

I'll go check this out, thanks friend!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

brother : brethren :: sister : ?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"sistren" but it's archaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012