Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Argentinian economy was killed by German expats following the end of WW2.

When Germany sent its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing war crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ftfy

mobby_6kl posted:

When Germany sent its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing war crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good doctors

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Skilled surgeon/good doctor is a good example of near synonyms that don't work in all contexts, such as when used about Mengele

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blut posted:

Not the usual positive progress these maps show over time. Argentina in particular is awful.

Come to think of it, the Venezuelan diaspora across the continent in the wake of Maduro's disastrous leadership may be dragging things down as well. This is an expansion of people living in poverty, and most refugees I assume will plop directly into poverty wherever they land.

Which while this isn't a perfect map (Guyana and Bolivia are listed as "no data", and while official numbers of Venezuelans in Bolivia are low, I assume there must be a bunch who wound up in Guyana), it actually might mean that some of these places that have gotten worse may have in fact lifted a decent amount of people out of poverty while Venezuelans came to superficially boost the numbers.

Some sloppy math, 1.49 million Venezuelan refugees in Peru out of a population of 34 million would be 4% of the population, but there's only been a 1% increase. Of course in Ecuador and Colombia, by my math Venezuelans would only account for 2.9% and 5% increases when there's been 5% and 8%. Venezuelan refugees in Chile would only account for a 2% increase. Maybe if I used 2012 population numbers to compare the Venezuelan refugees with the numbers would work out better?

This also means that Bolivia stands out even more as having a bigger increase in poverty despite having a negligible amount of refugees (14 thousand by the UN's estimate). Brazil is also scooting by at just low enough of an increase to avoid changing color (4%), and refugees would only account for a 0.1% increase.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

mobby_6kl posted:

Argentina used to be richer than Europe lol. We'll see how the new guy manages to gently caress it up even more somehow.

so were chile and venezuela

just selling raw materials won't create long lasting prosperity

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Australia is living large off its precious minerals extraction afaik without ivestigating further...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The prejudice against Argentinias is that they are freeloaders. The type of person that would take advantage from you not one time, but forever.

Another prejudice, but a positive one, is that they are educated people.

I do not believe in prejudices, but I believe for argentinians theres some traces of truth. I am not a fan of Milei, he probably just want to make a lot of money selling the public companies to friends, like what happened in russia. But maybe a bit of free market is what argentina needs. Corruption is also a structure, somebody is the "Mama" and others are customers that depend on the mama, like piglets drinking from the tits. Argentina probably has a massive grid of such relations, and these need to die. But more than the structure, the sentiment need to die. The idea of thats how things work, the normalization of such corrupt relations.

Is this what Milei is going to do?, is too much to ask, so I doubt it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Australia is living large off its precious minerals extraction afaik without ivestigating further...

Australia is also famous for having reasonable people in charge, who think things through and also understand basic facts.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
The decline in Brazil probably is related to Bolsonaro cancelling some of the Worker's Party poverty relief programmes, although the general economic decline that followed the bursting of the early 2000s commodity bubble started years before him.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

All of latinoamerica have a problem with classism. Distribution of wealth. And the negative influence of USA, that just want to use the region has a cheap resource extraction area.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tei posted:

And the negative influence of USA, that just want to use the region has a cheap resource extraction area.

Arguably they'd be better off if the US wanted their energy resources. But, the US has been in a huge energy production boom while consumption has stayed flat. So, the US has actually been a net exporter for a few years:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

inshallah australia will crash soon

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's masculine, feminine, and neuter.

I don't know the degree to which you're onto me, but for the casual reader, Marie is the result of a language historical change called infortissvækkelsen, which essentially took most of the unstressed Norse vowels and turned then into ə in Danish. So Swedish fitta becomes Danish fitte and so forth, which also happened with Maria. Then later people hosed up and began using the French/Latin whatever again, so we have both Maria and Marie as girls names.
What I'm getting is that, in your analysis, becoming Danish is getting neutered.

Also Maria is pronounced with stød, fight me irl.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blut posted:

This is from 10 years ago, but is just as accurate today as it was then. The whole article is worth reading, but a few select highlights:

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2014/02/17/a-century-of-decline

Can I read this somewhere without having to register an account?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Can I read this somewhere without having to register an account?

https://archive.ph/bN2XE

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BonHair posted:

Australia is also famous for having reasonable people in charge, who think things through and also understand basic facts.

That's righ... hey wait a second!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

First I’ve heard of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

French was like this too until the 1st world war when the army and French school system got everyone speaking Parisian French

France was more diverse than Germany even. There’s breton, alsatian* and flemish being killed off but no one remembers the langues d’oc, which had a massive population and literary tradition, are more similar to spanish and near intelligible with catalan. It’s not like code switching as germans do, it’s a full on foreign language that got beat out of kids.

*the germans also helped by banning alsatian dialect in favour of Hochdeutsch.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

France was more diverse than Germany even. There’s breton, alsatian* and flemish being killed off but no one remembers the langues d’oc, which had a massive population and literary tradition, are more similar to spanish and near intelligible with catalan. It’s not like code switching as germans do, it’s a full on foreign language that got beat out of kids.

*the germans also helped by banning alsatian dialect in favour of Hochdeutsch.

What you want to imagine is a situation where all the villages from Portugal to Romania to northern France could speak to the neighbouring villages which spoke something slightly different, and these small differences over enough villages basically became what we know as languages. Then nationalism standardised the language within some lines on a map, thank mr nationalism.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The seed of Frenchness was in them all along, waiting to bloom out of the husks of their relict tongues.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
We are here to help the Bretons, because inside every plouc there is a Frenchman trying to get out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kenning posted:

Europe has uniform races, descended from singular tribes, and this was a natural process that finished up around 500 years ago.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! Argentina has always been fascinating to me (yes I know I say this about literally everything), because right next door you have Chile, which is very similar in terms of coups, political violence, oscillating between protectionism and free trade, and demographic make-up (Chileans in fact have slightly more indigenous ancestry on average), yet the latter is vastly outperforming the former.

On the other hand, I do remember reading that Chile was actually quite stable prior to Allende and Pinochet, so maybe they simply have stronger and more deeply-rooted institutions.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! Argentina has always been fascinating to me (yes I know I say this about literally everything), because right next door you have Chile, which is very similar in terms of coups, political violence, oscillating between protectionism and free trade, and demographic make-up (Chileans in fact have slightly more indigenous ancestry on average), yet the latter is vastly outperforming the former.

On the other hand, I do remember reading that Chile was actually quite stable prior to Allende and Pinochet, so maybe they simply have stronger and more deeply-rooted institutions.

chile has a very diverse set of valuable minerals and they also decided to fill an agricultural niche thats extremely valuable (growing seasonal fruits and vegetables for the northern hemisphere during their winter) instead of going all in on cattle which you can raise anywhere.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

From reading the article, it seems that Article did nothing wrong, but did everything in the wrong moment. When everyone was opening markets, they where trying a more autartic approach ... that is worse but has his perks. And so on.

I feel geography has something to do too. But maybe I am very wrong. Being in the south, far from both europe and usa to sell their wares. But in 2023 that maybe of not importance with massive ships travelling he seas.

I hope good luck for the Argentinians, they are cool people.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Sadly the shape of the Argentinian skull makes them better suited to dancing and eating steak than doing business.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
does finland have a build the wall party

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

drk posted:

We are currently building a wall.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 26, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Third largest party in Finland is the True Finns who are a broad mishmash of various right wing weirdos. Everything from plain old rural conservatives, to generic national populists, to literal neo-nazis.

Every single person in the party is a hideous goblinoid spawned from a hellish pit somewhere in the vicinity of the dark fortress of Yävinkaalinskyljaanivärirantäskelijaari located in the deadlands where the sun never shines and no birds ever fly.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Third largest party in Finland is the True Finns who are a broad mishmash of various right wing weirdos. Everything from plain old rural conservatives, to generic national populists, to literal neo-nazis.

Every single person in the party is a hideous goblinoid spawned from a hellish pit somewhere in the vicinity of the dark fortress of Yävinkaalinskyljaanivärirantäskelijaari located in the deadlands where the sun never shines and no birds ever fly.

How do they feel about Russia?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
build the fence

in all seriousness i knew things were a bit tense between the countries - I was in finland a few months ago and it was certainly a topic of conversation

but I had no idea they built this huge surveillance corridor this year

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean with what happening in Ukraine I can't exactly blame them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's traditional, Mannerheim would be proud.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Issaries posted:

We are currently building a wall.

Understandable given your neighbor.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

drk posted:

build the fence

in all seriousness i knew things were a bit tense between the countries - I was in finland a few months ago and it was certainly a topic of conversation

but I had no idea they built this huge surveillance corridor this year

Russia has apparently been diverting migrants to the Finnish border. Belarus has done similar things, as has Turkey under slightly different circumstances. So it's very understandable for Finland to secure their border.

Those migrants-- does anyone know where they're coming from, and how/why they're getting to Russia?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drk posted:

Romania scoring above France: seems legit.

To be sure, France has its problems, but there’s a reason that Andrew Tate was operating in Romania.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 26, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Same thing with Russia vs. Turkey.

I guess it makes a bit of sense if they consider religious freedom as a component, both France and Turkey have some issues with regards to that, albeit for entirely different reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Romania scoring above France: seems legit.

To be sure, France has its problems, but there’s a reason that Andrew Tate was operating in Romania.

Source: CATO institute.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Source: CATO institute.

France probably scored low because it has too much paid vacation and maternity leave, hindering the freedom of corporations to work you to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Russia has apparently been diverting migrants to the Finnish border. Belarus has done similar things, as has Turkey under slightly different circumstances. So it's very understandable for Finland to secure their border.

Those migrants-- does anyone know where they're coming from, and how/why they're getting to Russia?

Back when we cared about Syria, I'm pretty sure the Russians were helpfully transporting refugees through Russia (which was not a preferred destination and also helpfully might not be accurate) to various borders, probably including Finland. Not as huge an influx as Turkey to Greece, but close to home for racist Finns.