Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Nightmares and Dreamscapes had the Castle Rock story It Grows On You, which had this description of Joe Newall's wife, Cora:

quote:

She was a grainbag of a woman, incredibly wide across the hips, incredibly full in the
butt, yet almost as flatchested as a boy and possessed of an absurd little pipestem
neck upon which her oversized head nodded like a strange pale sunflower. Her cheeks
hung like dough, her lips like strips of liver; her face was as silent as a full moon on a
winter night. She sweated huge dark patches around the armholes of her dresses even
in February, and she carried a dank smell of perspiration with her always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

For those of you working on your dissertations "Hideous Forms: Stephen King and Representations of Obesity" :hampants: I have compiled a list of horrible characters who are fat and whose size is described with the intention to repulse readers:

Can anyone think of ones I've missed? I haven't read a few of the later novels and none of DT. Can anyone think of a good fat main character/protagonist apart from Ben? Sheriff Bannerman in TDZ is definitely a goody but only a minor character.

The preacher woman Sylvia Pittston in The Gunslinger. Whole lotta woman there. Then Roland gets his chubby chaser freak flag flying but decides to give her a revolver abortion. :wtf:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Nightmares and Dreamscapes had the Castle Rock story It Grows On You, which had this description of Joe Newall's wife, Cora:

lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wasn't Cora in Needful Things, too?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There was a Cora in Needful Things and I think she was fat. One half of the Elvis loving duo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wasn't the one housewife in Tommyknockers who gets instructed by plastic Jesus to use her television to electrocute the poo poo out of her cheating husband also really fat?

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

MrSlam posted:

Lovecraft and Mark Twain think I'm an idiot, and now Stephen King thinks I'm hideous :( At least I'll always have GRRM

Ever read The Pear-Shaped Man?

Oh, and The Monkey Treatment.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Since there are only two episodes left, I'm wondering if they really intend on making 11.22.63 a standalone miniseries. By the end of the book you've delved into typical King metaphysics about mystical forces destroying the world. Unless they scrap that and replace it with a generic nuclear apocalypse, I don't see how they can show his recovery, the assassination attempt, and the consequences in two episodes. The TVIV thread seems pretty down on the adaptation, but I have really enjoyed it and think that they've pared the story down in a very effective way and I'm interested to see how they end it.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
It has been a long time since I read Danse Macabre, but I am pretty sure there is a section in there where King describes "monsters" we see in our everyday lives. The two examples that I remember him talking about were obese people and people with really bad acne. King thinks society sees these people as monsters and ultimately treats them as such. There are definitely many examples of the obese in his writing and while I can't point to a specific character I feel bad acne shows up every now and then too.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Oswald has a noticeable outbreak of acne at one point in 11/22/63, actually.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished reading Everything's Eventual

I liked a lot of the stories in there.

I liked 1408 it reminded me of acid

I had a nightmare about 1408 I was trapped in a hotel room and couldn't get out but eventually I did get out the door. Thanks SK.

I very rarely have nightmares based on media anymore. The only other SK thing I remember giving me a bad dream was Revival

is the movie of 1408 good? I can't imagine it's anything but a typical modern day horror movie with jump scares and poo poo. It's the type of story I can't imagine at all translating well to the screen

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is the movie of 1408 good? I can't imagine it's anything but a typical modern day horror movie with jump scares and poo poo.
In the same way that the ending to the movie adaptation of "The Mist" was actually kinda better than the novella, the ending of 1408 is truly disappointingly worse. It's actually pretty fun and scary until the final resolution in the last few minutes, which will leave you thinking, "What a goddamn lovely movie-by-committee way to close the story."

I guess it's worth watching once.

Did you like the ambiguity of From a Buick Eight? "1408" had that to some extent. The movie just fumbles it.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

In the same way that the ending to the movie adaptation of "The Mist" was actually kinda better than the novella, the ending of 1408 is truly disappointingly worse. It's actually pretty fun and scary until the final resolution in the last few minutes, which will leave you thinking, "What a goddamn lovely movie-by-committee way to close the story."
Didn't 1408 have like three different endings depending on which version you saw?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Didn't 1408 have like three different endings depending on which version you saw?

There are at least two:

John Cusack makes it out alive after setting the room on fire. He later plays back the tape he made while in there and both he and his wife hears their dead daughter.

OR

John Cusack dies in the fire. Cut to an awkward scene with Samuel L. Jackson raising a glass in his honor and saying he did a great job.

They are equally bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know, I really liked the 1408 movie. I just pretend the ending doesn't exist because in my opinion the rest of the movie is so good, my favorite pre-ending King-based movie. If I had to pick a "favorite" ending of the previously posted versions, I'd probably go with the second because the first was just too convenient and "happy ending"-ish.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I only saw the "bad" ending (didn't know there was another) and all I could think was, "This movie was fun and scary but why did I watch the whole drat thing just for the protagonist to die in a stupid way at the very end?"

Loved the short story, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know, I really liked the 1408 movie. I just pretend the ending doesn't exist

This is the best approach.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
How should it have ended?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I was cleaning out my bookcase for a move and came across Storm of the Century which is more or less the script (or screenplay? I don't know the difference) for the TV series. It was the first ever thing by Stephen King I read and I flipped through it for nostalgia's sake.

And holy poo poo the ending in this version. The ending in general is good but in King's original written plan Linoge turns into an old wizard with a pointy hat with stars and poo poo all over it like he's a goddamned Disney wizard from Fantasia. Whoever helped adapt this thing from page to screen needs to just sit in on all of King's endings because that is exactly the kind of stuff that sneaks in and takes me out of them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Franchescanado posted:

How should it have ended?

Like the short story?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

dirksteadfast posted:

And holy poo poo the ending in this version. The ending in general is good but in King's original written plan Linoge turns into an old wizard with a pointy hat with stars and poo poo all over it like he's a goddamned Disney wizard from Fantasia. Whoever helped adapt this thing from page to screen needs to just sit in on all of King's endings because that is exactly the kind of stuff that sneaks in and takes me out of them.

See also the ~!magic hands!~ ending to Needful Things.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding 11/22/63.

The miniseries had a few groan worthy parts, but overall they did it.

Those beautiful bastards actually did it. They made a tv adaptation of a King novel that didn't suck rear end and was emotionally moving.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Those beautiful bastards actually did it. They made a tv adaptation of a King novel that didn't suck rear end and was emotionally moving.

I'm not sure what it was exactly, but Sadie's speech at the end and her dance with Jake made me cry like a baby. Really got to me.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hello King thread, I'm reading the Dark Tower series and am currently most of the way through Wizard and Glass. Why did everyone start speaking Spanish?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They're in Mexico

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

oldpainless posted:

They're in Mexico

Yeah but for the first 10 chapters of Roland's story-in-a-story nobody was talking Spanish, then it's almost The Reap and look we're all speaking Spanish now

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
youre in texas and they introduce mexican bandidos that work for farson towards the end

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

scary ghost dog posted:

youre in texas and they introduce mexican bandidos that work for farson towards the end

Ok that makes way more sense

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
consider the thinny the rio grande

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm rereading The Dark Tower series for the first time since high school, and I think I picked up on something that's... well, in error, historically speaking. I'm on Book 3 and Jake has just run into Young Eddie and Young Henry in New York. But Henry was supposed to have been wounded in Vietnam. And Jake's timeline is 1977. Am I missing something?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

We're gonna build a big, beautiful wall, and FARSON'S gonna pay for it! - Trump of the Eld

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

scary ghost dog posted:

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

I'm rereading The Dark Tower series for the first time since high school, and I think I picked up on something that's... well, in error, historically speaking. I'm on Book 3 and Jake has just run into Young Eddie and Young Henry in New York. But Henry was supposed to have been wounded in Vietnam. And Jake's timeline is 1977. Am I missing something?

not really....i dont remember if thats ever explained but it wouldnt be difficult

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Bosch posted:

An entire ocean moved in between books 2 and 3, little details aren't really King's specialty.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

An entire ocean moved in between books 2 and 3, little details aren't really King's specialty.

Arrrghhhhh I had forgotten about this.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Your Gay Uncle posted:

little details aren't really King's specialty.

Yep, remember that time when Eddie grew an extra arm in It? I remember - correct me if I'm wrong - at the climax Eddie had one broken arm which he couldn't use and his good arm was bitten off by It. Then as Eddie died he touched Richie's face.... with his 3rd arm? :shrug:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's not too much of a stretch to assume he was using his broken arm, was it? You can still move a broken arm, it's just painful and not a good idea. When you're at death's door you probably don't care too much, right?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think there was a similar thing in the original Green Mile mini series books.
I think it's when Percy was in the straightjacket, and he wiped the sweat off his face with his hands.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Look, when you're writing on coke it's really hard to remember piddly details like how many arms a person has when you could be spending precious time describing how disgustingly obese your mom the villain's mom is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Should the editor not keep an eye on these things?