Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Just got Windows 7 installed on a new box I just built. First time using 7, installed Windows 7 Professional and was saddened to see no Solitaire.

I didn't see anything in the OP and did some searches but didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been asked a billion times. Where is Solitaire? Do I have to do whatever the Windows 7 equivalent of "Add and Remove Windows Features" or whatever to get it installed?

From Google (try it, it's fun);

quote:

Games are turned off. By default, the games that come with Windows are turned off, in some editions. To turn them back on:

· Click the Start buttonPicture of the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then under Programs and Features, click Turn Windows features on or off.

· Select the Games check box, and then click OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Wait till you see Spider Solitaire. It owns.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Grawl posted:

From Google (try it, it's fun);

I got the idea from Google (however I only found lovely forum posts), wanted to make sure (I can't actually test until I get home). Thanks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm about to do a motherboard/cpu/memory swap on a Win7 x64 system and I don't want to reinstall Windows. Is sysprep.exe with the generalize option still the best way to go about this?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Syrinxx posted:

I'm about to do a motherboard/cpu/memory swap on a Win7 x64 system and I don't want to reinstall Windows. Is sysprep.exe with the generalize option still the best way to go about this?

Honestly, in Vista, I swapped from a single core AMD to a quad code Intel Core 2 and all I did was boot into safe mode twice with the driver cd in the drive and then Windows Update after that. As long as you're not changing from IDE to AHCI (or vice versa) this should cover it. Even if you are, it's one registry tweak away.

It was also stable as hell after doing this. I can't imagine Windows 7 regressed on this.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Bearnt! posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll just let it do it's thing then and hopefully it won't be doing that for long.

If the hard drive ticking is too distracting and you don't want to play music all the time or something to cover it up, try running a fan just high enough to mask it. For sleeping, those foam earplugs are great (but could be a problem if you need an alarm to wake up).

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Alright so there's this box running Windows 7 Enterprise with two mismatches poo poo Dell screens attached to it. Randomly, the cursor will become large... On one of the screens. When it's move over to the other screen it'll render small. And then, rarely, it will be big on both screens. Requires a restart to reset. Any ideas before I tell the guy I just don't know what the gently caress?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Eikre posted:

Alright so there's this box running Windows 7 Enterprise with two mismatches poo poo Dell screens attached to it. Randomly, the cursor will become large... On one of the screens. When it's move over to the other screen it'll render small. And then, rarely, it will be big on both screens. Requires a restart to reset. Any ideas before I tell the guy I just don't know what the gently caress?

Let me guess. ATI graphics?

Try the latest Catalyst drivers.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got the e-mail from winpanel@microsoft.com, those who signed up for the Windows Feedback Program will be receiving their copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Retail soon.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lum posted:

I just built a computer today and got this problem as well, with the latest drivers.

A question, I bought an upgrade copy of Windows 7 a long long time ago when there was a big sale on Amazon, but I ended up building a new computer to install it on. It won't accept the product key, I assume because it's a fresh install (although since I was going to be upgrading from XP I'm not sure how it could tell the difference anyways), so I'm using my 30 free days at the moment. What's the cheapest way to make it legit?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Mozi posted:

I just built a computer today and got this problem as well, with the latest drivers.

A question, I bought an upgrade copy of Windows 7 a long long time ago when there was a big sale on Amazon, but I ended up building a new computer to install it on. It won't accept the product key, I assume because it's a fresh install (although since I was going to be upgrading from XP I'm not sure how it could tell the difference anyways), so I'm using my 30 free days at the moment. What's the cheapest way to make it legit?

That's weird, your product key should've worked. People have confirmed that you can indeed do a clean install of Windows 7 and activate it with the product key, even if you bought an upgrade version.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Well that's too bad, I'm absolutely sure I was typing it in right :smith:

Just tried it again, gives me error code 0xC004f061, "The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations."

Mozi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 15, 2010

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Syrinxx posted:

Just a followup, I skipped sysprep and just used Device Manager to rip out all the chipset and ATA controller entries, then shut down. Win7 came up and detected pretty much everything after the swap. It was a 965P to P55 chipset so no manufacturer switch but everything went smoothly.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mozi posted:

Just tried it again, gives me error code 0xC004f061, "The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations."

Don't give it a key during installation. Just hit next. Give windows the key after installation.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

incoherent posted:

Don't give it a key during installation. Just hit next. Give windows the key after installation.

I read that you should give it a key during installation, but to not activate it automatically.

Once installation is done you should manually activate it. Don't see how it could change anything, though.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

Question. I built a new computer. I have an unused Win7 x86 key, but I want to install x64. Can I use the x86 key with the x64 disk?

Bucanero
Dec 20, 2006

Manta posted:

Question. I built a new computer. I have an unused Win7 x86 key, but I want to install x64. Can I use the x86 key with the x64 disk?

Should work just fine, did for me.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
/\ Yes, keys are interchangable

I feel this is an appropriate thread to ask this in - how do I edit the entries on the left? Of the features I DON'T use in Windows 7, Libraries is right up there. I'd love to replace it with my downloads folder..

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Eddain posted:

I read that you should give it a key during installation, but to not activate it automatically.

Once installation is done you should manually activate it. Don't see how it could change anything, though.

Yes, that's what I did. Still need to do something within 30 days.

Edit: Fixed it, some Googling turned up a registry and command line fix.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 15, 2010

Eddain
May 6, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

/\ Yes, keys are interchangable

I feel this is an appropriate thread to ask this in - how do I edit the entries on the left? Of the features I DON'T use in Windows 7, Libraries is right up there. I'd love to replace it with my downloads folder..

Not a really direct solution to your question, but you could edit what shows up in your Libraries and point it to your Downloads folder instead, couldn't you?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Lum posted:

Well predicted, but I already tried updating. Problem remains. If you suppose this is a typical ATI issue, though, he may gain confidence that some theoretical eventual drivers will sort out the issue.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
I'm not sure if this is possible but I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to prevent Windows from doing this when selecting files/folders? Example is basically this window:

Click here for the full 850x599 image.

Everything within the window is fine, but if I select a file/folder on the right that is mostly covered everything within that window shifts to the left like this:

Click here for the full 851x602 image.

Which I find rather annoying since I tend to double click items that are even off screen. I recall XP never did this so I'm wondering if there's a way to disable it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Eikre posted:

I have a friend with the exact same issue. The ATI card also crashes when he tries full screen video. Not the computer, just the video card.

He got some beta drivers from Saphire and I am having him update his Gigabyte motherboards BIOS. Ill report back how that goes.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mozi posted:

Don't input the key. Let the install finish. When it's done, reinstall 7 as an upgrade install. It'll accept the key that time.

rawstorm
May 10, 2008

by Ozma
I don't know if this is where to ask this, but here it goes.

Recently I built my new PC. It has an i5, 2 x 1GB 4870s in Crossfire, 4GB of 1600 DDR3, and Windows 7 Pro x64. Whenever I try to play a 3D game (TF2, Crysis, Bioshock, etc.) it runs fine for about 5 minutes, and then begins to artifact. The artifacting becomes worse and worse until my PC crashes. Strangely when I play TF2 it just freezes for about 3 minutes and then runs fine. After I reboot I can play all the games fine for hours without any artifacting whatsoever. At first I thought this was a heat/bad card issue but after I reboot I can play all the games fine for hours with no problem.

The really annoying thing is that I have to basically restart my computer every single time I turn it on to keep this from happening. I have the latest drivers and the latest BIOS and have no idea what is going one. It also should be noted that Standby does not work also for some reason. I click the standby button and the screen goes blank but my computer doesn't power down anything.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah that sounds about right for CF/SLI setups.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Tried with a single card? Sounds like at least one of them is faulty.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I've just installed Win7 Pro, and some of my program shortcuts are not displaying correctly. They link to the correct applications, their "Properties" windows are all displaying correctly, but the icon is missing from the link itself (see the start menu and taskbar).

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I don't know if it'll fix it, but seeing as there's an icon hovering in your tray, you may want to install all the updates Windows has for you to see if that does anything.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
They were just Office updates; no effect.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aatrek posted:

I've just installed Win7 Pro, and some of my program shortcuts are not displaying correctly. They link to the correct applications, their "Properties" windows are all displaying correctly, but the icon is missing from the link itself (see the start menu and taskbar).

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

I've seen this before. You're going to want to purge the Icon cache. This should fix it. Instructions say Vista but it works for Windows 7 afaik.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I was wondering if there was any way I could exclude specific subfolders from a Library?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Casao posted:

I've seen this before. You're going to want to purge the Icon cache. This should fix it. Instructions say Vista but it works for Windows 7 afaik.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

raezr posted:

Here's a little thing that's been bugging me. I downloaded a few mp3 albums from Amazon, and sometimes Windows shows a thumbnail of the album art in the folder icon and sometimes it doesn't. What can I do to make Windows display the album art in all of them? Some possibly useful information: I'm using a "artist/album/track.mp3" folder setup. So far it always displays the album art for the album folder, but only sometimes for the artist folder. Amazon only downloads MP3s with embedded album art, no cover.jpgs or anything.

I didn't see this answered in the last page. I think you have to name the image folder.jpg to get Explorer to display the icon with your desired single image inside the folder instead of a heterogeneous set of files. I have no idea if this works consistently two or more folder levels up though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, so can someone help me with moving my user folder?

I installed Windows 7 on my new 1tb hard drive, and I decided to make 2 partitions, one for the OS itself and one for all my data so that if I ever had to reinstall it would be less of a bitch. Apparently though your users folder is stuck to whatever partition you installed windows on, so now start menu shortcuts and default save and download locations are in my tiny 15gb or so partition. I made all new folders in my large partition and changed the locations of the documents etc. libraries, but every download and installation still defaults to my small partition. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks!

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Why even use separate partitions anymore? Since Vista, the Windows installer will move your old stuff to Windows.old if you choose not to format before installing. This makes things just as convenient as having two partitions once you need to move your files over to your new install.

With that in mind, here's a couple ideas:
http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/05/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7/
http://www.tips5.com/how-to-relocate-user-profile-folder-to-other-drive-in-windows-7

I kind of like the second idea for ease of configuration.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Hey, so can someone help me with moving my user folder?

I installed Windows 7 on my new 1tb hard drive, and I decided to make 2 partitions, one for the OS itself and one for all my data so that if I ever had to reinstall it would be less of a bitch. Apparently though your users folder is stuck to whatever partition you installed windows on, so now start menu shortcuts and default save and download locations are in my tiny 15gb or so partition. I made all new folders in my large partition and changed the locations of the documents etc. libraries, but every download and installation still defaults to my small partition. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks!

...Don't make a TINY partition again. Seriously, 15 Gigs?
I don't think I'd want Windows on a partition smaller than 100 Gigs, unless you're using XP or something.

You can specify any location for user profiles (it's in the Registry).

Zorilla posted:

Why even use separate partitions anymore? Since Vista, the Windows installer will move your old stuff to Windows.old if you choose not to format before installing. This makes things just as convenient as having two partitions once you need to move your files over to your new install.

I believe Windows 7 is the first version of Windows that will make 2 partitions if you let it partition the drive. A Boot partition and OS partition, which is the same thing that some Linux distributions do (Fedora, etc).

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Xenomorph posted:

...Don't make a TINY partition again. Seriously, 15 Gigs?
I don't think I'd want Windows on a partition smaller than 100 Gigs, unless you're using XP or something.

Tiny partitions will kill you eventually, it's true. I used 50GB for Vista, and I was cutting it very close sometimes. I just use entire drive (320GB) for Windows now so I won't have that problem again (and no, I don't hold any data on it - I do use it to record videos on though).

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

yerrow peril posted:

I was wondering if there was any way I could exclude specific subfolders from a Library?

Saved searches are your friend there.

Open the folder you want to search. Say it's your "My Pictures" folder, and it has a subfolder, "Wallpapers" that you don't want included.

Type in the search bar "NOT (Folderpath:\Wallpapers)" That'll exclude everything in the Wallpapers subfolder.

Click on "Save search" in the menubar, then when modifying the library, add that saved search to the library. As long as that folder isn't included in any of the other saved searches or folders in the library, it will be excluded.

If you've got more than one subfolder to exclude ,it looks like you can chain them along: Eg "NOT (Folderpath:\Wallpapers) NOT (Folderpath:\Blackmail Photos)"

Thanks for asking this question, by the way. Hadn't really thought to look into the search bar before.

Edit: Goddammit, this method doesn't work. I'd assumed that Libraries could accept Saved Searches as folders; they cannot. Apologies.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
E: ^^ Saved searches own. How about a "Wallpaper" search where the query is "width:>=1680"? It can do that.

Xenomorph posted:

I believe Windows 7 is the first version of Windows that will make 2 partitions if you let it partition the drive. A Boot partition and OS partition, which is the same thing that some Linux distributions do (Fedora, etc).

It doesn't really work like that