Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Dead Alice posted:

Dammit.

I grabbed the Lunar Limo for slightly less than RRP (incl delivery) online on Thursday, and today I saw it on clearance at a store in town for just less than half what I paid.

Now; do I want two, or should I try to flip it online to recoup the original price? Decisions decisions...

Lunar Limo was one of the most fun sets I had put together in a long time. Get the second, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

toochilled posted:

I picked up a few of these the other day, 99p in ASDA!, and can confirm it is one of the cutest sets ever. My wife has already spirited one away for her desk at work. Good piece count in that nice yellow too.
99p is a goddamn steal for the number of pieces it has. My ASDA has run out long ago, or I would have gotten plenty more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dead Alice posted:

Dammit.

I grabbed the Lunar Limo for slightly less than RRP (incl delivery) online on Thursday, and today I saw it on clearance at a store in town for just less than half what I paid.

Now; do I want two, or should I try to flip it online to recoup the original price? Decisions decisions...
I'll wager that the Lunar Limo will be this generation's Black Seas Barracuda. Grab it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I've made a lot of mistakes in my life. Not picking up the Lunar Limo the ONLY time I saw it in a store, because I'd "already spent too much today" is my greatest. Buy it. Build a mega-space-limo using both sets.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Looks like the financial crisis has left no community untouched. I just saw this guy peddling through my modular village.

More pics

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Update: The Alien Mothership is fuckin' sweet and makes bwoop-bwoooaappppp noises with a little electronic thingy when you spin the outside ring, which is a circle of RR tracks but is the wrong scale for the only train I own, the Toy Story one. Dang.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Spent the last two evenings working on a thing. Figured I'd share here. I'm not the most talented builder and I have a fault of wanting to think that bigger is better. But seeing a lot of MOCs has inspired me to try to work in the details where I can. I don't know if this really shows that or not (also, my crappy phone camera is probably not the best way to photograph).

Anyway, this build is based on Robert E. Howard's horror short stories and Conan stories, and is kind of an amalgamation of a few different ideas taken from those tales.

A few more here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyEaisk

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I have a .xml parts list (part number, colour, quantity) that I want to upload to bricklink, but I'm stuck on this page http://www.bricklink.com/wantedXML.asp
Sorry if this is really dumb, but how to I upload the file?

\/\/ Thanks I'll give it a try.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 11, 2012

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Lizard Combatant posted:

I have a .xml parts list (part number, colour, quantity) that I want to upload to bricklink, but I'm stuck on this page http://www.bricklink.com/wantedXML.asp

Sorry if this is really dumb, but how to I upload the file?

I always get errors with the automated process, open the xml in notepad and copy/paste it into the box on that page. Then you should be able to verify and go through with no problems.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Urgh, turns out it wasn't formatted correctly. I'll have to write the code myself, this'll be fun...

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
My Lunar Limo arrived from Amazon today. So glad you guys pointed out it was still for sale. I cannot wait to build this.

His name is Brick Daddy. loving hell Lego, you are amazing.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

hippieman posted:

My Lunar Limo arrived from Amazon today. So glad you guys pointed out it was still for sale. I cannot wait to build this.

His name is Brick Daddy. loving hell Lego, you are amazing.

Wait, what sale?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

RodShaft posted:

Wait, what sale?

For sale, not on sale. You can still pick it up on Amazon, though usually from an independent seller.

I'm probably going to turn a returned book into one in a few days here.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

tinabeatr posted:

Looks like the financial crisis has left no community untouched. I just saw this guy peddling through my modular village.

More pics

I love this, so simple, so funny and with a ton of little detail in it. Very creative use of little odds and ends of Lego.

@ Lord Gold very nice set, I love those movies, love Lego and when you combine the two you have a master piece on your hands.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm trying to come back into Lego for the first time in a long time, and I was wonder if there is a list/post with the best or recommended sets that are in stores now? I saw some Architecture ones at a Barnes and Noble that looked pretty neat, but besides that I haven't really gone out to look around yet.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm trying to come back into Lego for the first time in a long time, and I was wonder if there is a list/post with the best or recommended sets that are in stores now? I saw some Architecture ones at a Barnes and Noble that looked pretty neat, but besides that I haven't really gone out to look around yet.

I've only built a few of them, but if you want an Architecture set don't bother with the smaller ones. They're expensive without having much to them (unless you have a particular attachment to one of the buildings in which case you'd get more out of it than just wanting something to build). If you do want to go the Architecture route, get the Fallingwater for sure.

If you're looking for something fairly inexpensive, I'm pretty sure the Alien Tripod is $15 or less nowadays and it's incredibly fun. Depends on where you live but I see it at Walmart, Target and TRU pretty much every time I go.

And, if you'll read the last few pages, it will become clear to you that you should ignore these suggestions and get the Space Limo, which I plan on doing as soon as I have Lego money again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GidgetNomates posted:

If you're looking for something fairly inexpensive

If you want to get a bunch of varied pieces/sets quickly:

- Look for bagged sets in the checkout aisles at Target, or in the Lego section of Toys'R'Us.
- Go to a Lego store and buy their seasonal mini-set (usually like a Christmas tree, a Valentine's heart, and so on).
- Do a pick-a-brick cup at a Lego Store.
- There's always a good basic set out for about $9.99 which comes with a mini-figure or two and a good assortment of pieces.

For example, there's this castle set:

And the basic set in stores right now is two people who, apparently, just bought a zoo. Hell if I can find a picture of it, though.

Of course, YMMV - this is how I built my collection. Little inexpensive sets that pile up over 20-25 years really add up. The most I've ever spent on any one set was $20, for an AT-ST walker. I usually spend around $2-6, and have a pretty good sized collection.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Are any of you goons interested in buying or trading for my original mindstorms set?
It comes with extreme creatures set too (I haven't checked if it still has all the parts just gauging interest.)

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 11, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
well it's fake lego but i'm still tempted to try this
http://www.okazii.ro/catalog/65446521/joc-tip-lego-pistol-407-167-piese.html#galerie

fake lego airsoft gun

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Lord Gold posted:

Spent the last two evenings working on a thing. Figured I'd share here. I'm not the most talented builder and I have a fault of wanting to think that bigger is better. But seeing a lot of MOCs has inspired me to try to work in the details where I can. I don't know if this really shows that or not (also, my crappy phone camera is probably not the best way to photograph).

Anyway, this build is based on Robert E. Howard's horror short stories and Conan stories, and is kind of an amalgamation of a few different ideas taken from those tales.

A few more here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyEaisk

This is great, I love the mouth of that thing coming out of the wall, and I also like that you leave studs showing. I honestly think they are a huge part of the charm of Lego creations, and the trend of making everything studless is sad.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The local walmart has the alien conquest mother ship and the Pirates of the Caribbean escape one with two horse buggies, both 50% off. If neither fit any of my Lego themes, should I get either?

Basically, are either of those sets so awesome that someone with little interest in the themes should pick them up at that price?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Huh. A package at my doorstep I wonder what it coul

YAY! Thank you, DrChud!

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Many thanks to Pseudo-God for the lil guy, hopefully he will get the help he needs now!

Testro
May 2, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This might seem like a hard question, but it's worth considering what you want to build and what you're trying to get out of building.

Buying lots of small sets is good advice, because it stops you from breaking the bank, you'll get lots of different little scenes set up, and you're sure to get a range of bricks and minifigures.

However, I sometimes find that the younger sets are (understandably!) very play orientated. They're usually very easy to build, and don't always look as wonderful on display (because they're designed to be played with, not shown off) - whereas some of the adult builds use much more advanced techniques, and tend to look better on display (obviously, the trade off is that they're not always as easy to 'play' with).

If you buy lots of small sets, you can also leave some up on display whilst you mix other sets up to make your own creations...whereas if you buy a big set (e.g. Tower Bridge or a Modular), it's either built or it's not - there's no halfway.

I think I'd probably choose a couple of sets for older builders (e.g. Medieval Market Village and a Modular) and then bulk out my collection with pick-a-brick or a couple of brick boxes.

It's hard to answer what you intend to build, because you might not know - but there's no point collecting 500 2x4 bricks if you want to build a Tudor style farmhouse with lots of stud and tile detailing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get the Camper Van!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the rule on discussing non Lego here? Because I've dropped a pretty big chunk on the Character Doctor Who sets and they are Lego compatible.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Testro posted:

Knowledge!

This is a great post.

Rhyno posted:

What's the rule on discussing non Lego here? Because I've dropped a pretty big chunk on the Character Doctor Who sets and they are Lego compatible.

As long as they're building toys, it's all good, but it might get lost amongst Lego-chat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Red posted:

As long as they're building toys, it's all good, but it might get lost amongst Lego-chat.

Sweet! There's a bunch of stuff getting a NA release this week so I'll bring it up once I buy them.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Endless Mike posted:

Get the Camper Van!

This just arrived today and I've started building it. It's an awesome build so far; tons of detail everywhere.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do you guys have go-to sites or youtube channels for LEGO reviews or do you just buy poo poo that you think looks cool and/or you want the pieces from it? I just bought the Lunar Limo due to the apparent massive love for it around here and I'd kinda like to ogle it in detail.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've jumped on the Lunar Limo bandwagon too. I thought I put myself on a Lego hiatus, but that design is too slick to pass up, and I didn't want to wait until it jumped in price.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

I built the Console Room last week! Asda had it reduced to £7.50!! It's really crappy! The plastic is close to Lego, but clicking it together can be pretty tough, like it doesn't quite fit, and on a few occasions involving 1x1 studs, can just pop right back off again.

Another thing I noticed is that the colours don't match from piece to piece. Like the yellow of one tile size doesn't quite match the yellow of a different tile size. It's very annoying. You don't notice straight away because it's just so much yellow, but when it's all next to eachother, it really stands out.

There's also a lot of 'cheat' bricks, like double sided studs, or bricks with holes top and bottom. Where Lego would just be clever and work something awesome, Character have just made new bricks out of laziness.

I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it, because I would have been really disappointed. To be honest, I'm kinda bummed I paid £7.50 for it. :(

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Huh. A package at my doorstep I wonder what it coul

YAY! Thank you, DrChud!

No problem, glad to hear it made it there :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I built the Console Room last week! Asda had it reduced to £7.50!! It's really crappy! The plastic is close to Lego, but clicking it together can be pretty tough, like it doesn't quite fit, and on a few occasions involving 1x1 studs, can just pop right back off again.

Another thing I noticed is that the colours don't match from piece to piece. Like the yellow of one tile size doesn't quite match the yellow of a different tile size. It's very annoying. You don't notice straight away because it's just so much yellow, but when it's all next to eachother, it really stands out.

There's also a lot of 'cheat' bricks, like double sided studs, or bricks with holes top and bottom. Where Lego would just be clever and work something awesome, Character have just made new bricks out of laziness.

I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it, because I would have been really disappointed. To be honest, I'm kinda bummed I paid £7.50 for it. :(

Isn't that like $15 American? Because US retail is $99.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
About $12, yeah. If you want it, I'll sell it to you?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Just made my first few lego purchases since pre-2000. Three minifigure packs netting me a spacegirl, a legionaire and a flamenco dancer. On top of that I picked up the pet shop kit, jesus christ what a set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

About $12, yeah. If you want it, I'll sell it to you?

Sweet jesus. Wouldn't shipping be a bit insane? I mean I ordered it through work so it's only going to run me about $60 but that's nuts for how cheap you got it. Does the CB Who stuff just not sell well?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sweet jesus. Wouldn't shipping be a bit insane? I mean I ordered it through work so it's only going to run me about $60 but that's nuts for how cheap you got it. Does the CB Who stuff just not sell well?

"Shelf-warming" is the term, sadly. Well, to be fair, the Who sets are pretty dull. They tend to be lots of one colour, and the designs are rather uninspired.

I'd just break down the set into bags, and mail it when I get stateside in a few weeks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Do you guys have go-to sites or youtube channels for LEGO reviews or do you just buy poo poo that you think looks cool and/or you want the pieces from it? I just bought the Lunar Limo due to the apparent massive love for it around here and I'd kinda like to ogle it in detail.

I look for reviews on Eurobricks as they tend to have a bunch of pictures. You can find anything you want by just googling 'setnamehere eurobricks'.

DrChud posted:

No problem, glad to hear it made it there :)

<3 <3 <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

"Shelf-warming" is the term, sadly. Well, to be fair, the Who sets are pretty dull. They tend to be lots of one colour, and the designs are rather uninspired.

I'd just break down the set into bags, and mail it when I get stateside in a few weeks.

I special ordered it so I'm kind of bound into the purchase. How do the blind bag figures sell? We've blown through 5 boxes in 3 weeks and they're now out of stock.