Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not to mention even their most obscure writers now have a much more impressive resume. Internet longform writing is a big world.

It really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I've been going to Grantland constantly for a couple years and listen to their podcasts all the time. Both the sports stuff and the pop culture stuff is great. I'm going to miss having all those people doing podcasts together. :smith:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
For Grantland, David Shoemaker is a horrible "journalist" so hopefully it means he fades out of semi mainstream sports journalism.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
edit wrong thread

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

joshtothemaxx posted:

For Grantland, David Shoemaker is a horrible "journalist" so hopefully it means he fades out of semi mainstream sports journalism.

As a casual pro graps fan I enjoy his columns, why do people not like him?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zakharov posted:

As a casual pro graps fan I enjoy his columns, why do people not like him?

He is just like, factually wrong like 90% of the time when he isn't writing about official "mythology".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's bizarre to me that pro wrestling journalism is something that people care about

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It really isn't, considering the list of reputable pro wrestling journalists is like, one guy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

It really isn't, considering the list of reputable pro wrestling journalists is like, one guy.

this guy

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Zach Lowe should go back to Sports Illustrated because their NBA writing has always been fantastic and with him they'd be a juggernaut. SI has been laying people off but hopefully he could be enticed over.

Wesley Morris, Charlie Pierce, Brian Phillips etc. can, as mentioned, write for anybody they want about whatever they want. Here's hoping Morris sticks to film criticism, at which he has been a joy.

If FOX was smart, they would snap up Jonah Keri and Ben Lindbergh for baseball, quietly one of the best writing duos on Grantland. They'd also fight with SI over the college football writers; Matt Hinton is easily in the top 5 on the site, regardless of expertise/subject matter.

No idea what Sean McIndoe and Katie Baker (hockey) could do in a post-Grantland world. Baker was great at Deadspin and would probably be better suited at Vice Sports or at BuzzFeed Sports. (Or she could go back to work for Goldman Sachs.) McIndoe, if he wants to leave, ought to hope for a soft landing at SI.

Count Jonathan Abrams and Jordan Conn into the "whatever, whenever" subset.

The pop culture writers will have no trouble finding work. Shea Serrano in particular can do just about anything in that sphere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

this guy

He's bad rear end.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just don't like him because his book was horrible and he's an annoying person. :shrug:

Edit: and he casually uses the word human being to describe Gorgeous George, which is just stupid presentist and wrong.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 10, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The pop culture writers will have no trouble finding work. Shea Serrano in particular can do just about anything in that sphere.
Those are the ones whose next moves I am most interested. Shea Serrano, in the absolute worst case, has a day job as a teacher anyway. I have no idea where Rembert Browne came from but hopefully some big name sites would be smart enough to see how entertaining of a writer he is.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rembert Browne is one of the few who can actually suck me into reading that stuff which I normally don't do. I'd hate for him to get sucked up into some giant pop culture website where I'll never read his stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chunkles posted:

Rembert Browne is one of the few who can actually suck me into reading that stuff which I normally don't do. I'd hate for him to get sucked up into some giant pop culture website where I'll never read his stuff.

If he gets any kind of leeway with what he's writing you could always just follow him on Twitter and then read him when he posts his latest article.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
I really liked n3twork (or is it netw0rk? I forgot where the number goes)'s stuff, and he was entertaining with his Game of Thrones writeups/podcasts too. He's a bit try-too-hard when he has a whole column to himself, but he's hilarious in small doses. He'd be good at Vice or something, I suppose.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bearic posted:

I really liked n3twork (or is it netw0rk? I forgot where the number goes)'s stuff, and he was entertaining with his Game of Thrones writeups/podcasts too. He's a bit try-too-hard when he has a whole column to himself, but he's hilarious in small doses. He'd be good at Vice or something, I suppose.

It's netw3rk, although he's actually started using his real name now (Jason Concepcion).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The bad NFL stats guy could go to the mothership without a hitch. I hate him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bearic posted:

He is a great Twitter follow.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

MourningView posted:

I imagine most of those people would be fine, especially Charlie Pierce and Pulitzer Prize Winner Wesley Morris.

I'm sure they'll find places to write. I guess I'm more wondering whether those will be places that are cool sending Brian Phillips to fly a light aircraft around Alaska covering the Iditarod, or giving him however long to just go to Japan and write some poo poo about sumo wrestling, or whatever. And the same to a lesser extent with the others (much lesser extent with Pierce and Morris, obviously).

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
A smart media organization would hire Rembert Brown as Ta-Nehisi Coates lite. He writes thinkpieces on race that are enjoyable to read.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alain Post posted:

The bad NFL stats guy could go to the mothership without a hitch. I hate him.

He wrote for them regularly before when he was with football outsiders. NFL coverage is by far the worst part of grantland aside from the couple times a year Chris Brown does an NFL column. Barnwell writes the same three columns over and over and Mays is just ungodly boring.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I imagine a lot of these people are going to stay at Grantland, at least for a while. It may go into a decline, but it's not like ESPN is going to shutter the thing the minute Simmons leaves.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No, but if Simmons gets another editorial job somewhere and they really love him as an editor, a lot might jump ship.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

No, but if Simmons gets another editorial job somewhere and they really love him as an editor, a lot might jump ship.

Or, when they hate the replacement options within ESPN, some may leave. I'm sure Wesley Morris would really like to hear Jason Whitlock's opinion on how to write a sentence.

Simmons' side talked to Jim Miller from Vanity Fair, and the definitive article is out now.

quote:

Problems and tensions were clear to many throughout 2014. Then all hell broke loose in the fall when, at the height of the Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal, Simmons called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a liar during a segment on his podcast. ESPN suspended him.

The suspension was supposed to include a two-week dock in pay, but when he looked at his paychecks afterward, Simmons could hardly help noticing that the checks were for the usual amount. He interpreted this as ESPN holding out an olive branch; the public censure had been just for show, Simmons thought; there was no financial penalty after all. That might have smoothed things out between Simmons and management—but on December 19, Simmons opened his pay envelope and was not pleased. Two weeks’ worth of salary wasn’t there: “Merry Christmas, Mr. Simmons—here’s your lump of coal.” Simmons had had enough. The chances of him staying at ESPN from that point onward became less and less probable.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/05/inside-shocking-abrupt-divorce-bill-simmons-and-espn

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

AsInHowe posted:

Or, when they hate the replacement options within ESPN, some may leave. I'm sure Wesley Morris would really like to hear Jason Whitlock's opinion on how to write a sentence.

Simmons' side talked to Jim Miller from Vanity Fair, and the definitive article is out now.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/05/inside-shocking-abrupt-divorce-bill-simmons-and-espn

That's a huge dick move to do that by ESPN drat. I love Grantland and It's gonna be really sad when Whitlock run's it into the ground.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Y'all realize that they aren't actually putting Whitlock in charge of Grantland, right?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

Y'all realize that they aren't actually putting Whitlock in charge of Grantland, right?

We see the writing on the wall!!!!!!!!!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

quote:

Simmons believed he had valuable instincts about what was best for ESPN content—certainly for his ESPN content—and he wanted a spot and a voice at the table. This worked fine for such high-profile company projects as Grantland, the stylish and much-discussed website that Simmons helped create, and it worked fine, too, for the highly acclaimed 30 for 30, into which Simmons had considerable input.
"It worked fine" Those are the two best things created at ESPN in the last decade.

quote:

ESPN will still own intellectual properties like Grantland and the wildly popular podcast, the B.S. Report. One executive was even heard starting to plan who else might host the B.S. Report. Maybe the executive thinks that “B.S.” stands for something other than “Bill Simmons.”
HAHA this is like the WWE trotting out "Fake Razor" and "Fake Diesel." How can they possibly think just putting a new host on that podcast would work? It isn't like replacing a newspaper column 30 years ago where people are pretty much forced to read the new guy. People can unsubscribe and resubscribe to his new one in 15 seconds (and they will). His podcast is not the greatest, but it destroys every other sports podcast in downloads.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 10, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I assume Bill Simmons will handle this with the grace and dignity we all expect from a disgruntled Bill Simmons

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I assume Bill Simmons will handle this with the grace and dignity we all expect from a disgruntled Bill Simmons

For all the shots they've taken at him, how much would Deadspin pay for Simmons' inevitable Ether column? 50K? 100K?

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why should he? Espn is total poo poo and in bed with the top3 leagues to an insane degree. Simmons is no saint but I hope he goes full retard on them. He's one of the few guys that could get "his readers" to wake up w/r/t the NFL shadiness and the Tebow/SAS/FT bullshit.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Parody Threads posted:

Why should he? Espn is total poo poo and in bed with the top3 leagues to an insane degree. Simmons is no saint but I hope he goes full retard on them. He's one of the few guys that could get "his readers" to wake up w/r/t the NFL shadiness and the Tebow/SAS/FT bullshit.

SAS? The Spurs? What bullshit there? The Hack a Shaq thing?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

C. Everett Koop posted:

For all the shots they've taken at him, how much would Deadspin pay for Simmons' inevitable Ether column? 50K? 100K?

They should pay him $1 more than ESPN took out of his Christmas paycheck.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Ramadu posted:

Stephen A Smith

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
At $5 million a year I hope you weren't waiting until your December 19th check to carry you through Christmas....

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ramadu posted:

Sports Argument Stadium*, he knows where Gendo is buried.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Them thinking they could keep the BS Report - which is just Simmons and another guest, usually a friend of his - while getting rid of Simmons just strikes me as perfectly ESPN.

"Next on the BS Report, Cousin Sal guesses the lines with unnamed ESPN drone #421."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

midwat posted:

Them thinking they could keep the BS Report - which is just Simmons and another guest, usually a friend of his - while getting rid of Simmons just strikes me as perfectly ESPN.
They just remember how ABC tried the same thing and attempted to force D.L. Hughley to agree to a third season of The D.L. Hughley Show, but somehow with a different actor playing D.L. Hughley's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Simmons will go to NBC Sports and they'll make an outrageous NBA bid during the negotiations next year. He'll get to do NBA and WWE and Olympics poo poo.