Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Randomity posted:

When you buy a car, in some places, there is a law that says you have 3 days to change your mind and return the car before the contract becomes official. What is the name of this law?

Or am I making this up?

You aren't "making it up," but it's not terribly widespread as far as I know.

The misconception probably stems from the fact that a lot of states DO have 3 day windows for rescission on telemarketing, timeshare, and door to door sales and various other things (Texas has one for gym memberships in addition to those above). Car dealers are HUGE campaign contributors at the state level, and are generally well-protected in state laws.

Your husband is wrong - you don't get to arbitrarily withdraw any contract within X days, even as a consumer; states have generally set out specific contracts that fall into that category, and few seem to apply it to cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ Oh yea I forgot about the telemarketing stuff

Randomity posted:

When you buy a car, in some places, there is a law that says you have 3 days to change your mind and return the car before the contract becomes official. What is the name of this law?

Or am I making this up?

It's an urban myth, or whatever that's called, that we have all heard to one degree or another. It doesn't exist outside of times it is specifically stated.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Again, that depends on the state. Some states do not have "terry stop" laws.

And since being a passenger in a car that was pulled over for expired tags has absolutely nothing to do with a Terry Stop, the point is moot anyway.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

SIHappiness posted:

You aren't "making it up," but it's not terribly widespread as far as I know.

The misconception probably stems from the fact that a lot of states DO have 3 day windows for rescission on telemarketing, timeshare, and door to door sales and various other things (Texas has one for gym memberships in addition to those above). Car dealers are HUGE campaign contributors at the state level, and are generally well-protected in state laws.

Your husband is wrong - you don't get to arbitrarily withdraw any contract within X days, even as a consumer; states have generally set out specific contracts that fall into that category, and few seem to apply it to cars.

Cool, thanks. My husband is usually wrong anyway. ;)

The reason I ask is because my best friend bought a used car yesterday, and today it is having problems that indicate the last owner did not take very good care of it. I was just curious to see if she had a chance to get out of the contract. She is in Oklahoma, and it is a used car she bought from a large and reputable dealership. I'm not giving her advice and I think she is on her way to the dealership to find out, I was just curious if she had a chance to come out on top here.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

Do cable companies report that up somewhere for tv ratings to get based on any of that? Or they still using the weird small sample nielsen thing?

They mostly use them for internal things, some cable companies on your digital cable box it will ahve an option to see the most popular shows in your area, etc.

ElwoodCuse posted:

You really don't need that big of a sample size to generate statistically significant and accurate findings even on a scale as big as the U. S. population.

Nielsen size is still too small, what with there being so many networks to choose from. It's quite easy for no neilsen household to have someone watch a given show while plainly other people watched it, but it still gets reported in the ratings as 0.

It worked a lot better when the most you had to choose from was the big three networks and maybe 2 or 3 local independent stations. Everyone in the business knows that the neilsen ratings are terrible but they still get used anyway out of inertia.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Randomity posted:

Cool, thanks. My husband is usually wrong anyway. ;)

The reason I ask is because my best friend bought a used car yesterday, and today it is having problems that indicate the last owner did not take very good care of it. I was just curious to see if she had a chance to get out of the contract. She is in Oklahoma, and it is a used car she bought from a large and reputable dealership. I'm not giving her advice and I think she is on her way to the dealership to find out, I was just curious if she had a chance to come out on top here.

Does the car not have a warranty? I've never bought a used car from a dealership that doesn't at least have a 3 month warranty.

If it was a private party sale, she would have a harder time, but dealerships have a reputation to uphold, so they're going to play ball if she raises enough of a stink. If she even has to.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it possible to rent something like a beach house for only 2-3 days? Is there a website for this sort of thing?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Does the car not have a warranty? I've never bought a used car from a dealership that doesn't at least have a 3 month warranty.

If it was a private party sale, she would have a harder time, but dealerships have a reputation to uphold, so they're going to play ball if she raises enough of a stink. If she even has to.

She said it was bought as is.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

change my name posted:

Is it possible to rent something like a beach house for only 2-3 days? Is there a website for this sort of thing?

Yes. Google "beach house rental [location]"

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

change my name posted:

My company uses http://www.vrbo.com/ to rent out our properties.

INeedANewCrayon
Sep 6, 2005

Insert witty saying here

change my name posted:

Absolutely. I see them on craigslist all the time for San Diego.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

My parents used to own a beach house; they preferred to rent for at least a week I think, but they'd take a few days if they could get it I would guess. I bet you could work out a deal if you did it in the middle of a week instead of over a weekend too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The problem is that I want to rent a place for maybe 3-4 days tops for my birthday next month, but I don't want to spend 1500, plus we'd obviously be partying there so smoking has to be allowable (but I'd scrub the place top to bottom before I left). Being right near manhattan really doesn't help a lot either since everything is super expensive.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
No one in their right mind would ever allow smoking in the house and when your name is on the bill you shouldn't either. Especially in a party/drinking scenario.

Look south and don't expect much for a <1500 budget for 3-4 days. (no beach access etc)

vrbo is pretty much the standard but you can find some deals by googling around for people who don't know any better.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 21, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ElwoodCuse posted:

Woodburner posted:

Do cable companies report that up somewhere for tv ratings to get based on any of that? Or they still using the weird small sample nielsen thing?
You really don't need that big of a sample size to generate statistically significant and accurate findings even on a scale as big as the U. S. population.

Fun fact! If you're truly sampling randomly from the overall population N to create your observed population n (or if you're deliberately clustering N into sub-populations, each of which gets a random sample n[1]...n[k]), the size of n, the sample population, determines the predictive power of your sample. Unless it's exceptionally small, the size of N, the overall population, doesn't matter. Moreover, at a certain point, increasing the size of n also doesn't matter, because you get diminishing returns for each member you add to n.

Keep in mind that a truly random sample of a given population isn't predictive for a different population, even if the sampled population is a subset of the larger population. For example, a truly random sample of residents of the state of Nevada isn't representative of the US population as a whole or for residents of Utah, and a truly random sample of US citizens isn't representative of the population of the entire Earth.

The upshot of this is that because the Nielsen corporation does do their best to get a random representative sample of the TV-watching population, the "weird small sample" that they get actually has enough predictive power to accurately represent the TV-watching population as a whole.

:eng101: (we need a :math101:.)

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

change my name posted:

The problem is that I want to rent a place for maybe 3-4 days tops for my birthday next month, but I don't want to spend 1500, plus we'd obviously be partying there so smoking has to be allowable (but I'd scrub the place top to bottom before I left). Being right near manhattan really doesn't help a lot either since everything is super expensive.

Here's rentals for the Jersey shore.

As always, avoid Sleazeside and Belmar at all costs. Sleazeside sucks unless your trash like the cast of Jersey Shore (but you are from the NY area so you are a benny/shoobie and as such, will likely blend in). Belmar sucks because they have zero tolerance for noise, drinking (especially underage), and anything approximating fun or merrymaking. Depending on how far you're willing to drive you can probably find one in LBI or parts south within your price range (hint: southern beaches are generally nicer).

If you're looking for something on Long Island, you can probably find something using google. Obviously, the Hamptons will probably be way more expensive. I'm not from NY so I can't really give great direction here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At the Post Office they have a poster up that lists the rewards that people would get for turning someone in for various crimes (with things like mailing/intent to mail a bomb for $100,000 iirc) and I've seen posters around for $50,000 if you have a tip that leads to the arrest of someone who has shot a police officer.

My question is: Is there a law on the books that makes it so, say, a desperate father can't mail a bomb to some random location and have his son turn him in for the reward money? Or, rather, what sort of limitations are placed on these things and how difficult are they to collect, even legitimately?

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

feedmyleg posted:

At the Post Office they have a poster up that lists the rewards that people would get for turning someone in for various crimes (with things like mailing/intent to mail a bomb for $100,000 iirc) and I've seen posters around for $50,000 if you have a tip that leads to the arrest of someone who has shot a police officer.

My question is: Is there a law on the books that makes it so, say, a desperate father can't mail a bomb to some random location and have his son turn him in for the reward money? Or, rather, what sort of limitations are placed on these things and how difficult are they to collect, even legitimately?

So the father's plan is to go on the lam for 2 years or however long it takes for the FBI to issue a sufficient bounty (sure, he could get a high bounty price if he kills a few people, but that's a whole different question) and face a certain 5-10 year federal prison sentence rather than work for those 2 years and earn the money?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Or he could just rob a bank. Even if it goes sideways, he'd probably kill less people than he would have to to get that kind of bounty for bombing poo poo.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

feedmyleg posted:

Generally, conspiracy/collusion renders someone ineligible to collect such an award.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ugh, is there a movie or tv show where someone says "derelict my rear end" or something to that effect? I don't know why my mind keeps me thinking about it but I think remembering where it was from will finally put an end to it.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

ZeeBoi posted:

Ugh, is there a movie or tv show where someone says "derelict my rear end" or something to that effect? I don't know why my mind keeps me thinking about it but I think remembering where it was from will finally put an end to it.

Zoolander?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah, that was it. Figures, I haven't seen the movie in years.

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.
I have to have a drug test done today, and I had two beers last night. I was wondering if this would affect my test, or would it probably be out of my system by this afternoon? I stopped drinking last night about midnight, and I was going to take my test about three this afternoon.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
If it was actually 2 you'll be fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The News at 5 posted:

I have to have a drug test done today, and I had two beers last night. I was wondering if this would affect my test, or would it probably be out of my system by this afternoon? I stopped drinking last night about midnight, and I was going to take my test about three this afternoon.
I would think that if a little alcohol could influence a (illegal) drug test, it wouldn't be a very effective test.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would think that if a little alcohol could influence a (illegal) drug test, it wouldn't be a very effective test.

Maybe he's in Saudi Arabia.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Samurai Sanders posted:

There is a test that can test for any consumption but that would only be useful for a job that requires the person not drink at all.

http://www.drugtestingnetwork.com/alcohol-testing.htm

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait I am confused. Surely we are not talking about The News At 5 being tested FOR alcohol consumption, right? Just whether it would influence a test for other drugs?

Are there jobs that will turn you away if you drink alcohol?

edit: I guess I just assumed it was a drug test for employment, maybe I'm wrong.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 21, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I was just clarifying on the off chance he has a drug test for a zero tolerance/abstinence type situation.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a good Ipad 2 case that has a pocket for a Verizon Mifi thingie. The only caveat is that I'd like it to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Any recommendations?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
My dad is into origami and is running out of tshirts, so I was hoping to get him a new one with a cool origami design on. Threadless only have 2 origami designs at the moment and I don't like the look of either of them, could anyone recommend a site where I might find a cool tshirt with an origami design on it?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

feedmyleg posted:

I have no site or specific information but it's always been my understanding that they are very difficult to collect under the best circumstances. Which makes sense I suppose since rarely does a single tip lead to an arrest.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

What's the best way to get a blister to go down quickly? I have one on my toe and no I'm not popping it because I'm a pussy. Someone told me to soak it in warm water and epsom salt, does that sound right?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Clumsy Card House posted:

What's the best way to get a blister to go down quickly? I have one on my toe and no I'm not popping it because I'm a pussy. Someone told me to soak it in warm water and epsom salt, does that sound right?

Sack up, pop it, slather it with an antiseptic ointment, then keep it covered.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

madlilnerd posted:

My dad is into origami and is running out of tshirts, so I was hoping to get him a new one with a cool origami design on. Threadless only have 2 origami designs at the moment and I don't like the look of either of them, could anyone recommend a site where I might find a cool tshirt with an origami design on it?

I don't think this design is on Threadless and I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but here's a shirt with origami on it:

http://super7store.com/apparel/mens/origami-4.html

proton
Dec 23, 2005
fuck if your leg broke bitch, hop up on your good foot
I'm dyslexic. Always struggled with reading.

I haven't had to read anything for about 6 years - so I didnt.

Now I have to for an art history class, and am finding it ridiculously difficult to retain anything. I literally read a page and don't know what the hell I read. Granted its not easy stuff to read. For reference, the last excerpt was "The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism."

Does reading comprehension get worse if you dont do it much ? Have I forgotten how to read because I'm out of practice, or could the dyslexia/add have gotten worse ?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

proton posted:

Does reading comprehension get worse if you dont do it much ?

Yep.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

proton posted:

I'm dyslexic. Always struggled with reading.

I haven't had to read anything for about 6 years - so I didnt.

Now I have to for an art history class, and am finding it ridiculously difficult to retain anything. I literally read a page and don't know what the hell I read. Granted its not easy stuff to read. For reference, the last excerpt was "The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism."

Does reading comprehension get worse if you dont do it much ? Have I forgotten how to read because I'm out of practice, or could the dyslexia/add have gotten worse ?

I'm gonna guess that if you paid $10 to join an internet forum, you actually have done some reading. It's possibly more of a concentration thing than a reading comprehension thing. Make sure you are in a quiet place with no distractions around you, and drink some caffeine or stop drinking caffeine, whichever works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

The News at 5 posted:

I'm sure I'm late, but my probation office can test for alcohol 4 days back. Sons of bitches.