Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Clean install of NV and Armory crashes the game on start up. The only mods I have are the animation changer that is needed for Armory and NVSE. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

ded posted:

Clean install of NV and Armory crashes the game on start up. The only mods I have are the animation changer that is needed for Armory and NVSE. :(

My first guess is that you're missing a master, or your load order is botched, i.e. FalloutNV.esm is not at the top of the list. For some reason I've seen a bunch of people who either accidentally or otherwise installed the AAS compatibility patches without installing AAS itself so that could be it too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Durrr. I was loading AAS files for DLC without the main AAS file.

ded fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 11, 2011

Vorgimmler
May 7, 2009
I think the Kardashians have bought out Nexus. They're the only ads I see anymore...

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Vorgimmler posted:

I think the Kardashians have bought out Nexus. They're the only ads I see anymore...

Yeah, I noticed that when I was on my girl's laptop. Unfortunately for the Nexus' ad revenue, I installed AdBlocker months ago after I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure Resolve carpet cleaner is the poo poo, and will save my life one day, but I don't need to be reminded of this everytime I click a link.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Are the new weapons in The Armory affected by perks like Shotgun Surgeon, Cowboy, or other weapon perks? How are the weapons placed in the world?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Wooph posted:

Are the new weapons in The Armory affected by perks like Shotgun Surgeon, Cowboy, or other weapon perks? How are the weapons placed in the world?
If you just install the core armory then they aren't added anywhere and you would have to use the console (I think). There are 2 optional extra esps, one adds the new weapons to the leveled lists so enemies and vendors spawn with them and the other puts a container in Goodsprings with all of the new weapons.

Ishwoo
Dec 27, 2007
*Amusing Text*
Anyone know why the Nevada skies mod is causing fallout to crash? I just tried on a vanilla install with the only other mod being NMC medium texture pack. Game runs fine if NS isn't activated but the moment it is bam it's impossible to start the game.
I installed it using the FMOD thing by the way

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Wooph posted:

Yes, they're affected by their appropriate perks. The Grunt perk will require the Honest Hearts compatibility patch, but they should all be added to the appropriate perk lists. It's a bug if you find one that isn't.

As for how they're placed, that's up to the user. You can use the leveled lists optional that distributes them in the game that way or you can use the cabinets esp for testing/experimenting or both at the same time. And new to 2.5 is a new immersion esp that places thematically friendly (or so I hope) weapons around the game world for people to find while the modkits will be purchasable from a vendor.

And yeah, the base ESM is essentially an information container. Anyone can make their own mod based off it to access the weapons they need or want.

edit: by the way, that 9/11 mod wasn't a troll in the end. His special edition adds a ceremony complete with Navy Seal themed power armor from another mod. I poo poo you not. 200 unique downloads, 95 votes for FOTM... this thing is vote dogpiled worse than Molerat Boobs was.

Naky fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 11, 2011

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Naky posted:

edit: by the way, that 9/11 mod wasn't a troll in the end. His special edition adds a ceremony complete with Navy Seal themed power armor from another mod. I poo poo you not. 200 unique downloads, 95 votes for FOTM... this thing is vote dogpiled worse than Molerat Boobs was.

This is massively disappointing. I was hoping giant dongs would burst from it or something.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

fennesz posted:

This is massively disappointing. I was hoping giant dongs would burst from it or something.

I knew it wouldn't be a troll the moment I saw that he was both a new and a premium member. Why create a new account and then pay for features if you're just going to get yourself banned a couple months later. It's possible it's still a goon project but seeing how it's obviously a serious one, I can see why he wouldn't have posted about it in here, heh.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Could just be someone with really poor taste in names as well as mods.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just can't figure out why you'd even make that mod. :psyduck: I mean I can at least see the root of all the sexual stuff. Nerds like jerking it to muscle girls in fox masks. It's weird as hell but at least it has an origin. I can't see what kind of insanity would provoke someone to say "You know, this ant mound would look way better as a 9/11 memorial, and I could use that Navy Seal armor too. This will be great." And then go so far as to actually make it.

The only plausible explanation I have is that George Lucas may secretly mod for FO:NV.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So I reinstalled everything and still got slowdowns around Novac. I validated my Steam files and 409 files were bad. Started a new game and it's... playable around Novac. But something's still churning my CPU whenever I go near that place now, and this problem only started recently. Both cores are hitting 98%. Also this seems to happen even when I have no mods running.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Have you changed any of your settings recently? I recently switched to a new monitor with a slightly higher resolution and for whatever reason my game crawled to a halt frequently until I reset the settings to default and re-did them. I didn't actually change any settings, but my actions seemed to appease the voodoo gamebryo gods.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
So I'm planning on a second play through after getting about as far as New Vegas initially.

Going to install Project Nevada, Manual Reload, and maybe a weather mod if I can find one that's not bloated.

Would like to hear some people's preferences on PN's rebalance settings. I know I'll be going with (at the most) 75% xp, maybe less. I'll probably wind up lowering the skill points per level, as it sounds like with all the DLC you'll eventually hit 100% in every skill, which I hate.

I know Cream-of-Plenty made a list a while back but it's pretty well buried now.

Speaking of weather mods - is there a gold standard now? I really liked CoP's modified Project Wasteland Vision except for the illuminated windows at night; they were pretty over-saturated. I'll just go with that if nothing's changed in the few months since I've played.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Have you changed any of your settings recently? I recently switched to a new monitor with a slightly higher resolution and for whatever reason my game crawled to a halt frequently until I reset the settings to default and re-did them. I didn't actually change any settings, but my actions seemed to appease the voodoo gamebryo gods.

I'll try this out

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Antignition posted:

So I'm planning on a second play through after getting about as far as New Vegas initially.

Going to install Project Nevada, Manual Reload, and maybe a weather mod if I can find one that's not bloated.

Would like to hear some people's preferences on PN's rebalance settings. I know I'll be going with (at the most) 75% xp, maybe less. I'll probably wind up lowering the skill points per level, as it sounds like with all the DLC you'll eventually hit 100% in every skill, which I hate.

I know Cream-of-Plenty made a list a while back but it's pretty well buried now.

Speaking of weather mods - is there a gold standard now? I really liked CoP's modified Project Wasteland Vision except for the illuminated windows at night; they were pretty over-saturated. I'll just go with that if nothing's changed in the few months since I've played.
I think cream of plenty's recommendation is the opposite of mine, but I always play with 75% xp, 0% skill damage bonus, 7HP per END for PC and enemies, 1% (or 0% if the option thing lets me) minimum damage through armor. Feels kind of like S.T.A.L.K.E.R: CoP gunplay at Very-Hard/Hardcore.

Project Reality is the current goon favorite weather mod now, I think. It's pretty sweet but makes nights crazy dark like every weather mod because making a weather mod seems to inevitably cause some kind of madness in a man.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

I think cream of plenty's recommendation is the opposite of mine, but I always play with 75% xp, 0% skill damage bonus, 7HP per END for PC and enemies, 1% (or 0% if the option thing lets me) minimum damage through armor. Feels kind of like S.T.A.L.K.E.R: CoP gunplay at Very-Hard/Hardcore.

Project Reality is the current goon favorite weather mod now, I think. It's pretty sweet but makes nights crazy dark like every weather mod because making a weather mod seems to inevitably cause some kind of madness in a man.

There's a good nightvision goggles mod called Advanced Recon Gear and Advanced Recon Tech. There's also another mod to use in addition to that called I Dream of Electric Sheep to make the NV a perk rather than an equip item. A few of the project nevada armor helmets also have night vision. I think it adds it to all power armors.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Yes that's also true, if you use the nightvision from PN/some-other-mod (and a decent flashlight mod) then you can have the gameplay of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and roleplaying of New Vegas. I think that's the best of both worlds.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My issue with Project Reality is that the radiation storms don't seem to actually create a radiation hazard. And, if you go indoors while the sirens are on, the indoor, low-quality, white noise-filled siren noise never stops playing inside any building in that cell, long after the storm stops.

I'll stick with NSkies 6.3 until that gets fixed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Antignition posted:

Nah, I wouldn't say we're opposites, though we do have differences.

Mine were:

66% XP (I've found this to be a perfect pace; right around LVL 18-20, you start noticing its impact.)
-4 to Skill Points per level
50% skill influence for weapon damages
20% Bleedthrough
10 HP per END for PC and NPC
15%, 12%, 9%, 6% rarity for food (from most common to rarest)
10% rarity for ammunition

In my opinion, our biggest difference comes from the Skill Damage influence. For me, setting it to 0% is effectively a boost to your number of "disposable" skill points, since you no longer have to put anything into weapon skills in order to be effective with them. Sure, there are still speech checks for weapon skills, but there aren't enough to justify wasting points in those skills.

As Ropekid (and some other members) have pointed out, Bleedthrough is tricky. Having it too high defeats the purpose of even the toughest armors. Having it too low makes enemies tough, but makes you nigh invulnerable once you find some Power Armor. The result is two high-DT opponents circling around and emptying rounds in each other, ad naseum. I used to like having Bleedthrough really low because--at lower levels--it turned some enemies into tanks and encouraged fleeing rather than fighting. But once I got some combat armor, I noticed that a lot of enemies were unable to hurt me, and I got bored with the system. YMMV.

I use this with slightly modified versions of "Creatures Give You Hell" and "Rise of the Machines", which makes creatures and robots much more challenging and allows them to take better advantage of the changes to Bleedthrough (since most have higher DTs in these mods.)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 12, 2011

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nah, I wouldn't say we're opposites, though we do have differences.

Mine were:

66% XP (I've found this to be a perfect pace; right around LVL 18-20, you start noticing its impact.)
-4 to Skill Points per level
50% skill influence for weapon damages
20% Bleedthrough
10 HP per END for PC and NPC
15%, 12%, 9%, 6% rarity for food (from most common to rarest)
10% rarity for ammunition

In my opinion, our biggest difference comes from the Skill Damage influence. For me, setting it to 0% is effectively a boost to your number of "disposable" skill points, since you no longer have to put anything into weapon skills in order to be effective with them. Sure, there are still speech checks for weapon skills, but there aren't enough to justify wasting points in those skills.

As Ropekid (and some other members) have pointed out, Bleedthrough is tricky. Having it too high defeats the purpose of even the toughest armors. Having it too low makes enemies tough, but makes you nigh invulnerable once you find some Power Armor. The result is two high-DT opponents circling around and emptying rounds in each other, ad naseum. I used to like having Bleedthrough really low because--at lower levels--it turned some enemies into tanks and encouraged fleeing rather than fighting. But once I got some combat armor, I noticed that a lot of enemies were unable to hurt me, and I got bored with the system. YMMV.

I use this with slightly modified versions of "Creatures Give You Hell" and "Rise of the Machines", which makes creatures and robots much more challenging and allows them to take better advantage of the changes to Bleedthrough (since most have higher DTs in these mods.)

I always thought of the guns/energy weapons skills being for increasing accuracy, since that's how I remember them working in FO/FO2 (but I haven't played them in ages), I usually pump guns early regardless but maybe I don't have to. Feels like I'm not accurate enough at the ranges I like to engage with <80 guns.

DT in New Vegas is tricky and yes I have encountered the problem you describe and my solution was to create my own damage system (for lack of a better word) for NV, where all firearms deal 1 damage and different calibers, loads and bullets deal different damage (as a multiplier) and -DT (as a subtract). Pistol bullets are all -20DT, deforming pistol bullets are -2DT, small rifle bullets are -27DT etc. I give melee weapons a -DT effect as well but I haven't properly balanced that yet. The idea is to diminish the effect of damage to overcome armor by scaling the DT on all armors up and adding appropriate -DT to all weapons, but without scaling damage. At the moment it's about -50% effectiveness of damage to defeat DT and feels "okay". I have patches for Dead Money, Honest Hearts and FO3 Weapon Restoration so far but I don't know if I'll bother to offer it anywhere unless people are interested in a crazy new damage system mostly lifted from JA2 1.13.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 12, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

This is completly true. I didn't give up on the shader/weather work, I just got bogged down somewhat by my own laziness. I readjusted weather colors outside, tastes are different and I'm perfectly aware not everybody will like it.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 12, 2011

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

The colours remind me of the Imaginator predefined I use, but I'm at work and can't remember what it's called. Very pretty.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Police Automaton posted:

The Kings, exposed to excessive amounts of radiation, merged with the roads of Freeside.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Capn Beeb posted:

The Kings, exposed to excessive amounts of radiation, merged with the roads of Freeside.

Yea they generally look awesome but this is waaaaay to dark.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Switched over from NSkies to PR during the weekend. So far I like it after some tweaking.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

I prefer Nevada Skies for my outdoors, but I really like this. Are you changing the interior cells too then? If you are, I hope you release a version that only affects interiors. I'm using Interior Lighting Overhaul because default interior lighting is just horrible and that's the only interior lighting mod (actually it appears to be gone from the nexus, so there are now no interior lighting mods), but it's way too dark and I like the way this looks.

vvv gently caress really? God drat these shaders are just amazing.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2011

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Actually that's default lighting. :whatup:

You can use a different weather mod with the shaders, but I adjusted the weather HDR settings to work with them, something that will probably not work with some other weather mod. I didn't try it but I'm pretty sure it'll look horrible.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I have the Shojo race (lol weeaboo), but for some reason, the She add-on doesn't work (it does the red exclamation error at chargen). Shojo/Shojo Ghoul works fine, but the height bugs me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You might want to just edit out your post and forget you shared any of that with us.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

I have the Shojo race (lol weeaboo), but for some reason, the She add-on doesn't work (it does the red exclamation error at chargen). Shojo/Shojo Ghoul works fine, but the height bugs me.

I'm confused, are you asking why you're getting red exclamation errors? Because that means the mod wasn't installed correctly / is missing meshes / has an .esp or .esm pointing to the wrong directory.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

JackMackerel posted:

I'm not trying to pick a fight or make fun of you or anything, but shojo is basically nexus speak for playable children, right? why do people actually install that? what was going through your mind when you first downloaded that mod?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

King Doom posted:

I'm not trying to pick a fight or make fun of you or anything, but shojo is basically nexus speak for playable children, right? why do people actually install that? what was going through your mind when you first downloaded that mod?
I don't think it's really playable children - it's like a separate...thing, with weird sort-of-childlike proportions. I don't really get it.

The regular children, as seen here, is fairly amusing. Look at the last picture, with the kid in the leather armor! He looks so adorable!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

King Doom posted:

"Shojo" is a long withstanding Gamebryo tradition. You take loosely anime-inspired styles, combine it with borderline child pornography, and package it as a race of people who have the bodily proportions of children--even though they're adults (in moon years). Hence the Shojo race.

It's always been frowned upon, especially on SA. I am on SA. I frown upon it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

JackMackerel posted:

:stare:

JackMackerel posted:

I have the Shojo race

JackMackerel posted:

(lol weeaboo)

JackMackerel posted:

but the height bugs me.

Just the height bugs you?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Shojo literally means "Little female child" in Japanese, though it more widely is used to refer to media targeted to pre-teen girls. If it were in America, it would be like an afternoon Disney show.

That is what that mod is trying to emulate. Its modder quite literally says that he wants to play Fallout as a weak, 12 year old girl. Fortunately the good moderators at the Nexus are valiant defenders of his artistic merit and won't remove the mod or tolerate criticism of it. Even if it is "I'm not a pedophile, I just really relate to little girls" fodder.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not trying to defend the guy, but this isn't the first time he brought up the shojo mod up why didn't you mock him then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JackMackerel posted:

:frogout: