Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Don't you know the basics of wave propagation? JEEZ.

When you bang the back of your helmet on the ice, a shockwave travels along the outside of your helmet. Once that shockwave reaches your cage, it reflects concussion generating impulses right into your eyes. Bone is thinnest in the back of the ocular cavity which means it's easier to penetrate your skull, turning your brain into mush.

As a PhD in physics, I love this post.

For the right price, I'll even endorse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
gently caress you Pleads, you know I'm a doctor and live like 10 blocks away. You may have required an intermittant sleep, what if you never woke up :(

Also random fun fact: I almost chirped a kid today at the hospital for having a wheelie bag.. Turns out he has cancer :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Don't worry I left instructions to give you the unused Blades vouchers in case of my untimely demise. Also the clinic is only 2 blocks away.

It's not like I was Chris Prongered, sitting in a dark room vomiting all night.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

I just realized you drove home from the rink, you couldn't have been that bad deeeeerrrrpppp.

At least my story was cool.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

7lip posted:

I just realized you drove home from the rink, you couldn't have been that bad deeeeerrrrpppp.

At least my story was cool.

I drove home after I was concussed. It was a stupid thing to do, but I think most players drive from the rink to their home often enough that they can do it on autopilot/muscle memory (I'm sure there is a better word for this). I think you'd need to suffer quite a bit of brain trauma before you forgot where you live, though I had a brother who suffered a major concussion playing football and the only reason he got home was because he followed my other brother, because he thought he was supposed to.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Aniki posted:

I drove home after I was concussed. It was a stupid thing to do, but I think most players drive from the rink to their home often enough that they can do it on autopilot/muscle memory (I'm sure there is a better word for this). I think you'd need to suffer quite a bit of brain trauma before you forgot where you live, though I had a brother who suffered a major concussion playing football and the only reason he got home was because he followed my other brother, because he thought he was supposed to.

I really wouldn't want to do that ever. I have to get on two major highways (one being an interstate) to get home from the rink, and I'd really rather not risk driving at 80 MPH to get home with a concussion.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

JetsGuy posted:

I really wouldn't want to do that ever. I have to get on two major highways (one being an interstate) to get home from the rink, and I'd really rather not risk driving at 80 MPH to get home with a concussion.

I'm certainly not advising it, but I just don't think that managing to get home safely while concussed is much of an indicator of the severity of the concussion.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

My third (and worst) concussion I didn't remember my name or birthday, or about two weeks prior. Slapshot windup stick to the sinus (missed my right eye by about 5mm), fivish foot drop to the ice.. Wasn't wearing a bucket since we were just playing shinny during recess. 8 stitches inside, 5 outside.

Bitch of a teacher made me write a test on the two weeks of material I had no recollection of.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The lady at the clinic needed to re-take my info because I have a new health card, and seemed kind of irritated when it took me a moment to remember my birth date (this is normal, not concussion related). Then she asked why I was there and I told her I hit my head and she seemed embarrassed :buddy:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Pleads posted:

The lady at the clinic needed to re-take my info because I have a new health card, and seemed kind of irritated when it took me a moment to remember my birth date (this is normal, not concussion related). Then she asked why I was there and I told her I hit my head and she seemed embarrassed :buddy:

Fremdschämen is a beautiful thing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Scored my first goal in a game tonight!! :woop: Break all on my own, the pass to me wasn't so great so I had to skate hard as gently caress to catch up to it, and then wrist shot it right through the 5 hole. :smug:

On my shift right before that, I got a pass fed to me as I was skating down the slot from a winger on the boards. I generally don't get my wrister very high, but this thing was WICKED and missed the top corner glove side by about half a foot. Yeah, not a great shot, but for me it was impressive. The goalie had to literally dive to attempt the save, so it would have been p awesome.

Oh yeah, also had another break that the goalie blocked, and I was I was trying to hit the rebound, I tripped over the goalie and... well I'm glad I didn't go face first into the post.

So yeah, best game of my life lol. I'm also a little :smug: about it because while it was technically an invite-only pickup, about half the guys are D2 (I'm D3), so I'm really happy with how I've been able to play with 'em since they started it up.

:woop:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I'm using a Bauer Re-Akt, because that's the anti concussion helmet and I need all the help I can get with my cage.

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of, I have to order ear cover replacements. I take it the fact I was easily able to find some means this happens often enough? The plastic there is p cheap.

I actually took out my ear covers. I find I can hear my teammates much better like this.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got an Easton E400 lid recently but I'm not crazy about it and it's probably not the most protective thing in the world.

e: My team's captain emailed the team that he had asked two guys to move down to a lower league, including one guy that I thought was better than me. I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, I guess I'm good enough not to get cut :unsmith:, but on the other hand, now I think I'm pretty clearly the worst guy on the team :smith:.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rise to the occasion. You are probably getting better each game/season which is why you were kept. Playing at a higher level will help you with this. Just keep doing your thing.

Or you're not a shithead and people wanted the other guys gone because they are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He paid ten bucks to post on an internet forum full of shitheads, so it's probably safe to say he's a shithead on some level, just like the rest of us.

:v:

So far I've had the most fun playing against people who are better than me. I seem to work a little harder and get more out of the ice time. I still feel like a tool when I mess up but at least I haven't run into anyone that flips their poo poo over mistakes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

So far I've had the most fun playing against people who are better than me. I seem to work a little harder and get more out of the ice time. I still feel like a tool when I mess up but at least I haven't run into anyone that flips their poo poo over mistakes.

This is why I love the R night pick ups with the D2 guys I get invited to. It's like half D2 and half D3, but the D2 guys are not holding back.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of, I have to order ear cover replacements. I take it the fact I was easily able to find some means this happens often enough? The plastic there is p cheap.

PM me, I might be able to send you some ear guards, they are sitting right here on my desk.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I broke down today. It was a long time coming, but I got the Mako. $170 before tax. I almost got the T90 but for $40 I got the Mako. I was immediately proud of it as both the former SPHL player and my private instructor were like COOL STICK when I was out there. So :smugdog:.

Ended up going with the Hall curve.

D C posted:

PM me, I might be able to send you some ear guards, they are sitting right here on my desk.

Awesome thanks! Ill PM ya when I'm home and not on the phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:hf:

Hall curve owns. Top shelf forehand/lovely backhand 4 life.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

By the time my hockey class was over I was clearly better than all but one or two other people (having regained a lot of the muscle from years before), and it really made it a lot less interesting. The beer league is great because I'm definitely on the level of a lot of other people in it, and it forces me to push myself and it's awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:hf:

Hall curve owns. Top shelf forehand/lovely backhand 4 life.

<3 the Hall curve.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You all are now prime suspects in the case of my missing EQ30 that was stolen outside of the locker room last week.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gonna go play me some hockey tonight and try to forget what a horrible, hosed-up day this has been. At least for a little while.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I gotta say, I was really surprised at how much my wrister improved with even the stick. Maybe it's just a placebo but I actually was getting the puck up and poo poo. Maybe I'm just improving a lot quicker now that I'm playing so damned much.

I am still an out of shape gently caress and by the 3rd I'm literally dead man skating.

EDIT:
I love how I talk about my first goal and crickets, but I mention getting a wicked new stick and all of a sudden post explosion. :v:

Hockey_players.txt

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 15, 2012

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

JetsGuy posted:

I love how I talk about my first goal and crickets, but I mention getting a wicked new stick and all of a sudden post explosion. :v:

Hockey_players.txt

JetsGuy: Congrats. :shobon::respek::shobon: Hopefully many more follow.

I remember my first goal(s). For inline, it was a defenseman losing the puck at the top of his own circles, and I walked in and put it five hole. For ice, it was just a garbage goal that I put over the goalie's pad.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

JetsGuy posted:

I broke down today. It was a long time coming, but I got the Mako.

I just played with my Mako M2 last night for the first time. Fucker is light as hell and has wicked throw. Howitzers from the point for days!!!! :whatup:

Sellouts posted:

You all are now prime suspects in the case of my missing EQ30 that was stolen outside of the locker room last week.

The Mako replaced my EQ30. The toe was falling to poo poo and technically illegal to use on the ice. I couldn't find an Iginla 85 EQ-Anything anymore so the Mako was it.

This is the first time I've used white tape ever. It looked sexy as hell before the game, afterward...not so much.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

JetsGuy posted:

I gotta say, I was really surprised at how much my wrister improved with even the stick. Maybe it's just a placebo but I actually was getting the puck up and poo poo. Maybe I'm just improving a lot quicker now that I'm playing so damned much.

I am still an out of shape gently caress and by the 3rd I'm literally dead man skating.

EDIT:

Hockey_players.txt

It's amazing how quickly your body adjusts to the strain of playing a whole game, though. When I started this league I was completely dead by the third, but now I usually at least have the energy for a few good shifts in the third, and I feel fine through the first and second.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

19 o'clock posted:

I just played with my Mako M2 last night for the first time. Fucker is light as hell and has wicked throw. Howitzers from the point for days!!!! :whatup:

Thing owns. I got the regular Mako (the gray one), grip. No M-whatever.

I got such a deal on dis baby. :swoon:

]

Vicas posted:

It's amazing how quickly your body adjusts to the strain of playing a whole game, though. When I started this league I was completely dead by the third, but now I usually at least have the energy for a few good shifts in the third, and I feel fine through the first and second.

I am slowly getting able to do it, but slowly. Ive always been an out of shape piece of poo poo since I was a kid though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Vicas posted:

Back before I moved to Vancouver, and the real world got in the way, I could play an entire beer league game on D, including offensive rushes and backchecking.

It's so painful now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Sellouts. I did it. Figured the plane ticket and the PI I hired to find you were cheaper than buying it in Norway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

The Mako replaced my EQ30. The toe was falling to poo poo and technically illegal to use on the ice. I couldn't find an Iginla 85 EQ-Anything anymore so the Mako was it.

This is the first time I've used white tape ever. It looked sexy as hell before the game, afterward...not so much.

I actually hated the eq30 but loved the 50 so I dunno. I think part of it is the 75 flex that's available on the 50.

Yeah, whippy over here only taking wristers and snapshots

And anders, all you had to do was show me a pic of you playing on your newly poured ice with throngs of Norway youth praising you and I would have given it to you for free!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

I actually hated the eq30 but loved the 50 so I dunno. I think part of it is the 75 flex that's available on the 50.

And anders, all you had to do was show me a pic of you playing on your newly poured ice with throngs of Norway youth praising you and I would have given it to you for free!
But THE IMPORT TAXES!!!

edit: I do plan to borrow a GoPro for when we start scrimmaging, and I'll show you that you can suck, but still dominate if your opposition is worse. Until I get really tired after 10 minutes and have to sit down.

Anders fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey sellouts, could you post a couple pics of your jersey(s) from high stick? I'm thinking about going with them instead of tron. The prices look pretty decent and tron has the whole weird sizing thing mentioned in this thread.

Also considering tuxedo jerseys as a comedy option.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I know the answer to this is unfortunately "everyone's different", but my new stick is a few inches taller than the stick I have been used to. At its current height, the bottom of the tape knob is at the tip of my nose. In total, it's about 2.25" taller than the old 5030. I guess I could cut an inch or so off the stick, but I was just wondering if y'all had any advice on this.

I do like having the extra reach on the stick though...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Depends if you play F or D. D-men typically prefer longer sticks. I play RW and I prefer my stick to come up to my chin, with skates on, or my nose without.

Keep in mind that if you cut it, your flex will increase as well. This is why I can't use senior sticks. I'm 5'9" and after I cut it down, senior sticks are way too stiff for my liking. Intermediate sticks are perfect since I don't have to cut them at all, plus they come in rad flexes like my preferred 67.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I play RW, and I'll have to see how high it comes up on me with skates.

:hfive:

Would flex *really* stiffen the stick up that much to cut off an inch??? Wow.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

JetsGuy posted:

I play RW, and I'll have to see how high it comes up on me with skates.

:hfive:

Would flex *really* stiffen the stick up that much to cut off an inch??? Wow.

General rule says every two inches cut off of the stick increases the flex by ~10

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Depending on the brand, there's usually lines on the top of your stick to show "if you cut the stick to here, it will now be X flex." Cutting 3 inches off my old Vapor X:20 made it go from 87 to 110 or so, but that may differ between brands/sticks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hey sellouts, could you post a couple pics of your jersey(s) from high stick? I'm thinking about going with them instead of tron. The prices look pretty decent and tron has the whole weird sizing thing mentioned in this thread.

Also considering tuxedo jerseys as a comedy option.

Sure thing brah

So the numbers are stitched on but the layered process is just a print. So the print is stitched on. This has been balled up in my bag since February save a few drop ins where I wore it. When we got it wasnt nearly as wrinkled.

And here's where you can see the front logo with it being cut out around the shape of the letters. Classy

How they look on a last place team:

Jerseys themselves are the lightweight AK jerseys. We wore a variety of long johns, hoodies, whatever under them to stay warm. Let me know if you have any other questions except those relating to cost. We were sponsored and I don't know how much they paid.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks man. Those look really nice. Now I just have to get a vector image from our logo guy so I can dick around with colors.

Thanks for the EQ stick as well, I'll put it to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sellouts posted:

My 85 flex plus about 4 inches of plug for my tall rear end make it amazing. No clappers here, just wristers and snapshots as well.