Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Just read Game Change again for a little nostalgia and I'd be happy as poo poo with Clinton or Biden over, say, any of the also-rans from 2008, who all still come out ahead of Cuomo or Booker or getting excited over some Sanders pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Someone who is aggressive on foreign policy, as opposed to a "dove".

Specifically they desire military action more often as a solution than a "dove," a bird associated with peace.

Of the two, Hillary is rightfully seen more of a hawk than Obama which opens up the question what American foreign policy is going to functionally be at this point. I see an aggressive foreign policy working even less successfully post-2016 than the Bush years. Seriously is backing Israel to the hilt the smart play at this point? How many countries are we going to play hardball with: Russia, China, most of South America, and big parts of the Middle East?

You can't stop DC but there is pretty much no way it isn't going to be a train-wreck, the only question is will it be a Democratic or a Republican train-wreck.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Biden has been reminding people lately that he ran on a three part partition plan for Iraq in 2008.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

Biden has been reminding people lately that he ran on a three part partition plan for Iraq in 2008.

Considering that the suggestion was looked at by "serious people" as a punchline/failure/surrender in 2008--and that he got clubbed with it then and later--Biden has earned himself a serious "Toldja so, fuckers."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The thing with ethnically homogenous countries is that there's still no guarantee that they wouldn't invade their neighbors for Lebensraum (and indeed that seems to be what ISIS is doing now).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's much easier to bomb an invasion force than an insurrection

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

The thing with ethnically homogenous countries is that there's still no guarantee that they wouldn't invade their neighbors for Lebensraum (and indeed that seems to be what ISIS is doing now).

True but by this point the Kurds have more than earned a state of their own.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

True but by this point the Kurds have more than earned a state of their own.

So we're done having a decent relationship with Turkey, then.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chantilly Say posted:

So we're done having a decent relationship with Turkey, then.

I could have sworn the Turks were coming around on the idea of a semi-autonomous Kurdish stateexclusively in Iraqas they rightly viewed it as an acceptable foil against foaming-at-the-mouth maniacs like ISIS.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm under the impression Erdogan actually has a Kurdish support base of a sort and he's made some overtures in that direction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Erdogan is now willing to see an autonomous Kurdish state, provided they don't take any Turkish territory and allow Kurdish immigration from Turkey.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I stand corrected by more knowledgeable people, it seems.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Yea what the middle east needs is more border fuckery, there's no way that'd end poorly, just put all of those people in their own country and go 'done'.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm under the impression Erdogan actually has a Kurdish support base of a sort and he's made some overtures in that direction.

Erdogan does not give a poo poo about Iraqi Kurds.

If people start talking about adding Turkish Kurds, then he will flip his poo poo.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea what the middle east needs is more border fuckery, there's no way that'd end poorly, just put all of those people in their own country and go 'done'.

Or, they could talk to them and decide on mutually agreed borders?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HBNRW posted:

It worked great with India and Pakistan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HBNRW posted:

Right, those negotiations always are fair, especially to minority groups, and never end in bitterness and generations long hate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
After very careful analysis of the middle east, I've decided my official opinion on the matter is "It's China Town, Jake"

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be entirely fair, border fuckery is what got this whole mess started in the first place. Balkanize erryday :350:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right, those negotiations always are fair, especially to minority groups, and never end in bitterness and generations long hate.

Why would borders negotiated by representatives of the population be worse than someone who regards everyone in the region as a homologous brown mass carving the land up pretty much at random?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Strawman posted:

Why would borders negotiated by representatives of the population be worse than someone who regards everyone in the region as a homologous brown mass carving the land up pretty much at random?

Because it's a good way to force the minority groups the majority doesn't give a poo poo about out of the good parts of the country?

Like, how fair a shake do you think the Kurds or Sunnis would get in a border negotiation?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because it's a good way to force the minority groups the majority doesn't give a poo poo about out of the good parts of the country?

Like, how fair a shake do you think the Kurds or Sunnis would get in a border negotiation?

The Kurds would actually get a good deal due to oil, but the Sunnis are hosed:

http://sites.tufts.edu/gis/files/2013/11/Lindau_Julial.pdf

Anything in the mixed areas, especially around the Baghdad region will be utterly contentious for any sort of partition plan.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

I mean, in retrospect, a McCain/Palin administration could have been an extinction level event. No joke.
Seriously, how many loving wars would we be involved in at this point?

We'd still be in Iraq and Afghanistan, we would have certainly gotten involved in the Syrian clusterfuck, we'd probably have put some boots on the ground and also probably tried nation-building in Libya, we would have done some sort of poo poo in Ukraine, probably some poo poo in Nigeria, and there's always Israel and Iran.

So, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Ukraine, Nigeria, Israel/Palestine, and Iran, plus who knows what else. That is terrifying to think about.:stare:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 13, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I don't think we'd get into a shooting war in Ukraine or Iran, but there would be a lot of covert fuckery and sabre rattling going on there, and not the milquetoast Obama kind.

Also Benghazi would get bombed because the skull throne demands more skulls :jihad:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Back in 2009 when Iran's fraudulent election happened, McCain advocated immediate military action, so Iran's definitely on the list.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Patter Song posted:

Back in 2009 when Iran's fraudulent election happened, McCain advocated immediate military action, so Iran's definitely on the list.
During the 2008 campaign, he actually sang "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" when asked about his middle east policy. He also said he was prepared to stay in Iraq for a million years if that was what it took.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McCain of course now has the benefit of not having to put his money where his mouth is on foreign policy, but aside from Dick Cheney he's virtually the only Republican still loudly advocating for foreign policy from the 1800's (because neither of them really have anything to lose). If he actually was placed in charge, he'd probably have died from stress within a couple of years and then we'd get Palin, who's not even psychologically all there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

McCain of course now has the benefit of not having to put his money where his mouth is on foreign policy, but aside from Dick Cheney he's virtually the only Republican still loudly advocating for foreign policy from the 1800's (because neither of them really have anything to lose). If he actually was placed in charge, he'd probably have died from stress within a couple of years and then we'd get Palin, who's not even psychologically all there.

At least President Palin would have resulted in some great reaction photos as foreign dignitaries try and decipher her word salad as translated into another language.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gyges posted:

At least President Palin would have resulted in some great reaction photos as foreign dignitaries try and decipher her word salad as translated into another language.

Yeah there was that pretty bizarre response she gave recently where she was very definitely "off." She wasn't drunk but maybe high.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Patter Song posted:

The difference between advocating immediate military action and actually doing it lies in a dozen senior officers staring at you in slack-jawed horror.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

The difference between advocating immediate military action and actually doing it lies in a dozen senior officers staring at you in slack-jawed horror.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSaWuLiV4mw

Or, as some call it, the Bush Presidency.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda love the image of crusty old McCain being all "WE NEED TO BOMB TEHRAN RIGHT NOW" and just a bunch of generals and poo poo dead faced staring at him exhausted.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Ardennes posted:

Yeah there was that pretty bizarre response she gave recently where she was very definitely "off." She wasn't drunk but maybe high.

Oh honey mommy doesn't get drunk, she has fun.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I've watched that clip and looked through the YouTube comments and I'm really wondering what happened to all the people who thought she would make a great president.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

baw posted:

I've watched that clip and looked through the YouTube comments and I'm really wondering what happened to all the people who thought she would make a great president.

She's a reasonably attractive female Republican. Go read the Freep thread to find out how many ultraconservatives masturbate to her.

FOXDIE
Mar 31, 2014
Does Biden have a real chance if he gets serious though? I'm one of those poor little fools who wants Warren to be the candidate but I know that won't happen, so Joe seems better than Hilary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there anything actually GOOD about Hillary? I mean the recent SCOTUS stuff has really scared me into voting D probably no matter what considering Ginsberg possible short remaining time there but I'd at least like something other than that to make me feel better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

FOXDIE posted:

Does Biden have a real chance if he gets serious though? I'm one of those poor little fools who wants Warren to be the candidate but I know that won't happen, so Joe seems better than Hilary.

I was having a discussion with some friends the other day and the idea of a Hillary/Warren ticket struck me, which was... intriguing. On the one hand I wouldn't want to see Elizabeth Warren essentially forgotten about in the black hole that is the Vice-Presidency, but on the other I could see Hillary trying to broaden appeal by saying 'look, I believe the Presidency should be more about foreign policy than anything else, I'll concentrate on that while letting my Vice-President's emphasis be on domestic and economic issues,' or something along those lines. It's a total pipe dream, but it's not a horrible one.

That said, part of me wants everyone to leave my drat Senator alone and let her stay my Senator for a bit because she's awesome.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

Is there anything actually GOOD about Hillary? I mean the recent SCOTUS stuff has really scared me into voting D probably no matter what considering Ginsberg possible short remaining time there but I'd at least like something other than that to make me feel better.

She is to the left of most issues, especially compared with whatever nutball wins the R nomination. Like, the main complaints against her are from left wing people upset she's not left wing enough, when the issue is 'who's more left wing, her or basically any Republican with major support' the answer is her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radish posted:

Bill Clinton in the white house without any formal duties.

• Locked thread